Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 06:50 PM   #121
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Oddometer: 259
June 18, 2014

Day 11

We woke up to another beautiful morning. Yup, two in a row!

Our view in the morning of Gros Morne Mountain.

We were heading to Port Aux Basques to catch the ferry to North Sidney, Nova Scotia. I’m sure you could get some stunning photos by stopping more often than we did but that’s not what our goal was.

We wanted to see the beauty of as much of the maritime provinces as possible. We were NOT disappointed.

We saw many of these RV Parks. I was amazed at how many of the “seasonal” RV’s there were. This one is in Deer Lake, NL.

We hit highway 1 (The Trans Canada Highway) and were really able to make some good time this morning. It was still pretty early and we had not had any breakfast yet. Dylan saw this ski hill so I snapped a picture and then we saw there was a Tim Horton’s right in front of it.

This was Marble Mountain. We went in to Tim’s and had breakfast. Dylan went over to the ski/outdoor store next door. I sat in Tim’s looking at the ferry rates and wondering what to do about reservations. A guy, also on a beemer, began asking questions about our trip and we had a nice conversation about him just picking up his bike and riding it home from New Brunswick. He had come across the ferry the day before and said they had to squeeze him on. He said that they were full and told him he may have to wait a week before getting a ticket. Crap. They had cut back on the schedule and people were jacked.

I went outside to a pay phone and called them on the toll free line from a pay phone. No problem said the ticket agent. We have you booked and paid for on this evenings service to North Sydney from Port Aux Basques. I didn’t want to pay for a seat or a cabin. I told her we would chance getting a seat. Whew! It would have sucked not getting a spot on the ferry.

I went to find Dylan who would have stayed in the shop all day if he could.

He’s trying on a few jackets that were on sale hoping that one of them would fit!

He wanted a photo next to this Burton board. He said it’s one of the very first models that Burton ever made.

I could not imagine meeting a moose on this highway at the speeds folks were going. I can see why they had lots of warning signs and in areas that they must have had more concentration they had very high fences with “moose gates”.

More fence and moose gates.

We stopped in a tiny little place right at the edge of the Codroy Valley. They had a little store and we were going to stop and get a snack. Dylan got off and said the tire looks low. I tried to get off and the kickstand wouldn’t go down. Uh, oh…

I got our air compressor out and connected it hoping that it was a “slow” leak. Nope. I couldn’t keep up with the air leaving the tire but I couldn’t hear, or see, where it was coming from. I pulled out the bottle of slime I carried and put the bottle in the tire and filled it up again. This time it held the air.

I spinned the tire and could then see the slime oozing out but not a huge amount. We went inside the store and got some snacks. We were all out of the snacks we had carried. The plan was to get to Port Aux Basques early enough to do some shopping before we had to load onto the ferry.

Thinking we may be ok, the tire was holding air enough for us to mount up and move on. I had taken it for a quick spin around the parking lot and Dylan watched it and gave me the thumbs up.

Oh, yeah, almost forgot about the strange way you had to enter the store. I walked up and tried to pull on the handle but the door wouldn’t open. I notice a handle that “unlocked” the door from the outside. Hmm, that seems odd. Oh wait a minute, I bet that’s to keep the wind from sucking the door open. Where are we again? Oh yeah, that Wreckhouse place.

We continued on. The tire still felt a little soft with all the weight we had on it. Not 10 miles down the road or so I had to put the hazards on and look for a place to pull over. I see this truck pull off and it’s paved. Nice. I also see a sign. I know, I’m supposed to be taking pictures of all the signs. I forgot one. This one is from somebody on the Internet. Don’t know who. But it’s the same sign at the same pull off.

The Wreckhouse story.

I could not believe the wind. Dylan had to hold onto anything that wasn’t physically attached to the bike. We had to chase our gloves and helmets from getting blown into the ocean. It was more than a bit nerve wracking to have that constant wind blowing. I had talked to my parents on the phone during a hurricane and could hear the wind in the background. It sounded the same way. Similar to a circular saw.

Dylan was pretty nervous. This had also happened to us on our trip to Alaska. I tried to keep him calmed down as I plugged the tire. The slime wasn’t holding. I had to use two plugs to get the air to stop coming out. It was my first time having to plug a tire. I know you’re supposed to cut it flush but when I tried to do that the hole opened up again. Screw it, good enough. We’ve only go to keep this tire for a little longer.

You can see the tire coming apart. You can also see the steel belts!

We would ride a few miles and then pull over and use the air compressor to refill the tire. We did this several times. You can see that the slime was beginning to come out of more than one hole. It was starting to cover the entire back end of the bike.

As the air compressor chugged along I took some photos of the Table Mountains which were partially responsible for the wind patterns here.

They are majestic and beautiful.

This continued on about four times.

A bit concerning is seeing the skid marks from where the wind blew a semi sideways off the road and into the ocean. This is no BS. That’s why I put the link here so you could see more photos of the actual trucks. I was about to have my own skid marks…in my undies!

These photos were before the slime began to ooze out of all the holes. You can see that the tire carcass is just about gone.

I’m not looking for another tire argument. This tire has prematurely given up its life. It had 3,500 miles on it. Granted they were hard miles. But to fall apart like this?

I need to start coming up with a plan. We have a paid ticket to get on the ferry tonight. Non-refundable. Great. The tire had air in it. Not much, but enough to keep us from ruining the rim. At least for now.

We went slow, real slow. The wind trying to blow us into the ocean, the tire throwing slime all over the bike. Hazards were on. Vehicles were being nice and going far left of us. We could then see the city of Port Aux Basques! We made it to a gas station and couldn’t get any air into the tire. I went to he gas station to try and find someone that may have a tire. The manager called several places in the phone book and they all said no. Damn.

She said the ferry is just over the hill about 2 miles. The plan was for Dylan to walk, reducing the weight, and I would slowly ride the bike to the ferry. I would slowly ride the bike and stop and wait for Dylan to catch up. I didn’t want to have him out of sight. He had one car stop and ask him if he needed a ride. He politely said no and kept walking.

We made it to the ferry port around 2:45pm. The security gates open at 3. Guess who was first in line?

The lady took my confirmation number and said to pull ahead to the car wash. We would be in lane 11. Excuse me? Car wash? She said she didn’t think they would “hose us off”. Great. Well Dylan, get ready to get wet.

We pulled into the car wash and these folks were standing there awaiting with firehoses! The young lady smiled and said you don’t look like you have any vegetation on you. Nope, but don’t look real close at the back of the bike.

Once again guess how’s first in line?

We certainly did attract a lot of attention! Folks came by to look at the crazy guys with the motorcycle with a flat. We went into the terminal and I was pleasantly surprised with finding that they had free WiFi! I went and got my Surface and connected it. I emailed my wife about our dilemma. She was obviously concerned. Then I got a couple messages from friends wondering how the trip was going. Gave a quick update. They were also concerned. Even offered to come help! No, we’ll be ok but thanks!

I had recently joined a group called IBAR (International Brotherhood of Adventure Riders). What could it hurt to post a message about our situation? I did that and Dylan and I went to eat at the cafeteria. We had to eat here. They wouldn’t let us leave without the bike and it wasn’t going anywhere!

Our dinner.

The hot dog was mine. It looked really good and it was! Dylan had chicken and was quite happy.

We went outside to see the ship as it came in. Wow, is that huge!

Um, Captain, I helped guide the other ferry around the icebergs, you going to need some help, too? No, ok then are you going to fit all these trucks on? Absolutely.

There were four levels to this ship. It was huge!

I checked the messages and was astounded at the response! There were all kinds of people working on our behalf to get a tire. The message was put out to the Dual Sport Canada forums from another IBAR member.

http://dualsport.ca - A great group of people!!!!

There were several ideas being tossed around to try and help. We had to begin to load up. That’s when we met Ray. Ray was riding a Gold Wing and was parked right behind us. Did I mention that it had begun….to rain? Yes indeed. Let’s finish this day off right. Ride a large heavy bike with a flat tire up a slippery metal ramp. I had another 8 hours to figure out what to do about the tire. Maybe while we were on the ferry some folks would come through for us. Ray offered to give Dylan a ride onto the ship so the weight would be reduced. I told Dylan “Do not get used to the comfort of that seat!” He went onto the ship in style behind me. I pulled onto the ship and the guy says “ok back it into there” and pointed behind a semi trailer. Nope, not gonna happen, I have a flat. He helped me push it into the hole and showed me where to get straps.

Dylan and Ray pulled in and Ray put the bike in reverse and maneuvered the bike AND trailer with ease.

Dylan grinning with his New ride.

Our old ride strapped in and ready for the ride.

We went up to the passenger deck and were greeted with this sight.

We were living large! Nice comfy chairs and several TV’s all playing something different.

That was the view we had all night. Ray and I talked about options for us. He was very familiar with North Sydney and had a cell phone with service. We wrote down some ideas and drifted off to sleep. We were going to need as much rest as we could get.

We went 217 miles today. If you include the ferry ride it’s a whole lot more!

2up to Labrador - Another father/son adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=984421
NorWis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #122
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

June 19, 2014

Day 12

We were awakened by the crew telling us we were about 30 to 45 minutes out from port and to begin collecting our things. Our view outside the window.

From the drops of water on the windows it looked as if it had rained all night. We were warm and dry!

Glad we didn’t need these.

I went out on deck to get some fresh air and see what the weather was like. Seemed like it was going to be a nice day. Welcome to Nova Scotia!

A view of the uppermost deck filled with semis. Wow this was a huge ship and it was packed to the gills.

I was glad that was behind us now.

Sometimes these kids make you proud…then there’s the other times.

Dylan clowning around and having fun. I think the ferry ride and somewhat of a goodnights sleep helped get rid of the anxiety of dealing with a flat tire and what we were going to do.

This is our new friend Ray. He was on his way to the “Wing Ding” in Madison, WI. But first, he was going to help us out a bit more.

As we found out on our trip to Alaska; it’s the people you meet along the way that will make your adventure extra special. This trip was not going to be any different. Some of the people that made our trip extra special would be “met” through forums, email, and phone calls. Others we got to meet in person.

Ray again offered to take Dylan on the GoldWing to an area in North Sydney he was familiar with. He said everything you’ll need is right in that area. He had looked up some delivery options and one was a bus service that drop ships parcels at an UltraMar gas station. It was also in the parking lot of a Canadian Tire and right next door was a Tim Horton’s!

I followed Ray and Dylan out of the belly of the ferry.

This is where we’ll be for awhile!

Old 07-22-2014, 03:33 PM   #123
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,123
Man, really surprised with the tire not holding up better. I can understand punctures but that thing is completely coming apart. I must of missed what the make and model of them were.....Heidendau?

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:25 PM   #124
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

It was a Metzler Tourance. Never again, if I can help it.

Todd

Old 07-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #125
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Day 12 continued

We went to Tim Horton’s to eat breakfast and continue our search for a tire. Lots of folks offering suggestions and ideas to get a new tire.

The previous evening a member of IBAR had posted the following message to the Nova Scotia Dual Sport Club.

That got the ball rolling with ideas and offers from all over the area. One idea was to contact a BMW Dealer in Moncton, New Brunswick, Atlantic Motoplex

I talked to Eugene in the parts department and he said he had 10 Hiedenau K60’s in stock in my size! You’re joking? No, we could hold it for you. Ummm, Eugene, I need to ask you if you could ship it. Sure where? I’m not sure yet but I’ll find out and call you right back. I ran over to the UltraMar station and the guy there told me how to do it and looked up the address it needed dropped off at in Moncton in order to get on the bus. He’s tells me; If you get it there by 2pm today it will be here tonight. What? You’re kidding me. Nope. The two other places I had called in North Sydney didn’t have tires and said it would take at least 5 days. I had another gentleman (thanks Kelsow) have 3 used tires I could pick from but they were in Halifax. He was waiting on word back from a guy in a truck heading our way that he may be able to throw one in the back.

My ultimate decision was to buy the tire from Atlantic Motoplex and only have to put the tire on once. A used tire I may have to change again before I got home.

Ok, Eugene, here’s my credit card number, let’s make this happen. The cost of the tire INCLUDING shipping was no more than what I would pay to ship to my house. Great folks to deal with!!!

We went to Canadian Tire to begin wasting some time. Dylan was all over the fishing equipment. I asked the service manager if they would install a tire on a motorcycle if I brought the tire in. Absolutely not! Well then, you have a nice day, too.

We came out by the bike again and I got to thinking about putting that K60 on the bike. Yuk, those give me a devil of a time at home, how am I going to do it here? I remember seeing a demo of a guy using long zip ties spaced around the tire and thought maybe that would help. Couldn’t hurt!

Dylan stayed with the bike and our gear while I went back in to get some zip ties. I don’t like to have him out of sight for long. Think about it, we’re in a different country and in a strange city. When I come out of the Canadian Tire I look across the parking lot and about wet myself.

Dylan is standing by the bike with a truck, a little sports car and a couple of people standing around. I didn’t run over but walked with my eyes on them all wondering what was going on.

When I got there everyone was laughing and having a good time. Dylan was telling them about the flat tire, the wind in the Wreckhouse, his ride on a Gold Wing and our trip from Wisconsin and our current dilemma of no way to get it fixed. That’s when things started to happen quickly!

Troy (he’s one of the guys in the truck) tells us his wife works at the B&B across the street and points to this huge green house. He says it’s a lot cheaper than any hotel in town and the meals are great. Cool!!!

Dwayne (he’s in the little sports car) says here’s my cell phone number. Call me when you get the tire. I’ll pick you and the tires up and go over to my house. I have a tire changing machine in my garage. Score!!!

Here’s Dylan looking pretty darn happy. The large green house is the B&B. We’re going to walk all the gear over the there and then I’ll ride the bike and hope that rim holds up one more time.

A closer shot of the B&B. Very nice owner. Huge house. It had like 9 rooms in it.

The sign out front.

You can see the bike, the UltraMar station and about another 50 yards past the gas station is the Tim Horton’s. We had it all right here within walking distance.

The bike all snuggled in while we wait for the tire.

One of the nicest B&B’s we stayed in.

Yes, that’s the shower!

It was a wonderful room!

We were pretty tired from the ferry ride even though we slept a bit the noises some people make while they’re sleeping are unbelievable! We took a nap and felt pretty refreshed.

Then we went to get a bite to eat and do the tourist thing around the downtown area.

Dylan down at the harbor where the ferry’s dock.

Notice the fleece? It was still cool enough for a light jacket.

North Sydney was a pretty nice town. The people we met certainly were wonderful!

Once we were back from dinner it was time to get to work on removing the rim. I locked the keys to our room inside the room and had to call the owner to come and open the door for us. Remember we slept on a ship the night before and have not had a lot of opportunity to clean up. She opened the door to the room and I could see the look on her face when the odor from inside the room hit her. It was not pleasant!

Dylan wanted to get his chance taking some pictures of the fat guy.

Now where is that….

Almost done.

Dylan gets ready for bed and says; Dad you go ahead and get the tire at 9:30. I’m going to bed…

Why you little…..

I was like a kid waiting for Santa on Christmas Eve. I was at the station at 9, you know, just in case it was early.

One last daylight photo of the B&B. From the UltraMar Station.

I paced around in the cool night air and then I heard it before I saw it. The bus was coming up the street. I almost ran out in front of it but was able to contain myself.

Maritime Bus! Like the saint on the side said “Sameday passenger & parcel delivery”. Were they going to keep that promos to me?

The driver got out and looked at me. I said I sure hope you have something under there for me. He grinned and opened up the belly of the bus and there it was!

Me and my tire!!! Do I look happy?

I looked at my watch and it was exactly 9:30pm. I called Dwayne but his number went right to voicemail. I left my number and a brief message. I didn’t know when or even if he would call back. I went back to the B&B and took my tire with me.

Needless to say, we did 0 miles today but we sure did get a lot accomplished!

Old 07-22-2014, 05:39 PM   #126
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
I love these road magic stories!
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #127
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
The best things happen when things go wrong! Trips without at least one minor disaster are just dull. I'm glad it all fell into place for you.

Bravo to all the people who helped. What a great lesson for Dylan.

Nick

nick949eldo screwed with this post 07-22-2014 at 06:15 PM
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #128
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Hey guys, I'm in goose bay tonight. Has any one come up with the name of the gift shop with the stickers? Cheers
R_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:34 PM   #129
MapMaster
Human Compass

Oddometer: 741
I've never seen a tire fail like that before. A question, how often were you checking your tire pressure, or do you have a TPMS on the bike and was it working?

I was on an Alaska trip and a driver who had been behind me commented that my tire looked pretty low. I hadn't noticed any ill handling effects and off the bike it looked fine and there's not enough give in the carcass to tell by pressing on a tire these days. When I put the gauge on it, 10psi!

Maritime Meander Ride Report

For Whom the (Wedding) Bells Toll
MapMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #130
ProZac235
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Can't wait to hear more. Love your RR so far.

I heard about the zip tie method on tires also. I just had to try it myself. My last tire change I figured I'd give it a go. Took me a bit longer than a normal tire change but it does work and I'm sure it could be done on the road pretty easy. I got the tire on the rim without any tire spoons or tools whatsoever.

ProZac235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #131
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Rick View Post
Hey guys, I'm in goose bay tonight. Has any one come up with the name of the gift shop with the stickers? Cheers
Google shows a place called Slippers and Things on Grenfell and there's another place right nearby. If you find the sticker, let us know.
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #132
Mtl_Biker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Pretty neat, that zip tie method! What kind of tire is that, and what was the size? And yours are tubeless I'm guessing.

The hardest I've ever done so far is the front (21") for my F800GS with an Anakee 3. Even with a No-Mar Classic Tire Changer it was one heck of a hard job. I can't believe the zip ties make it easier, but I sure hope they do. Getting the first part of the tire onto the wheel is easier than the second part, and if you have a tube tire like I do, I guess zip ties don't help all that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProZac235 View Post

I heard about the zip tie method on tires also. I just had to try it myself. My last tire change I figured I'd give it a go. Took me a bit longer than a normal tire change but it does work and I'm sure it could be done on the road pretty easy. I got the tire on the rim without any tire spoons or tools whatsoever.

#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #133
ProZac235
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
Pretty neat, that zip tie method! What kind of tire is that, and what was the size? And yours are tubeless I'm guessing.

The hardest I've ever done so far is the front (21") for my F800GS with an Anakee 3. Even with a No-Mar Classic Tire Changer it was one heck of a hard job. I can't believe the zip ties make it easier, but I sure hope they do. Getting the first part of the tire onto the wheel is easier than the second part, and if you have a tube tire like I do, I guess zip ties don't help all that much.
For me it took longer with the zip ties. The tires were Shinko 705 radial and they have a really stiff sidewall. The thing with the ziptie method is that both beads are together to they just slip over the rim as it was just one bead. I was surprised myself that it worked lol. The one I tried it with was the front 19" on my Vstrom. I changed the rear too but I'm used to changing tires so for me it was faster not to use the ziptie method on the rear but I'm sure it would work just as good as the front. Not sure how it would work with tubes or even if you could use it with tubes. You could possible put the tube inside the tire and then try to fee the stem out after?
ProZac235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #134
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Quote:

Nice job! I'm glad it works!!!

When I got home and rid myself of the Tourance in the front I put a K60 on and tried that method as well. It went great but the last little bit of that tire gave me grief and I had to use a tire iron to get it on.

I was bound and determined to do it with ONLY what I carried on our trip. I was successful at that!

I've been using Murphy's Oil Soap to lube the edge of the tire. Is a spray better so that it covers a larger area? I've been trying not get make a helluva big mess. I may have to change my theory.

Todd

Old 07-23-2014, 01:50 PM   #135
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Quote:
For me it took longer with the zip ties. The tires were Shinko 705 radial and they have a really stiff sidewall. The thing with the ziptie method is that both beads are together to they just slip over the rim as it was just one bead. I was surprised myself that it worked lol. The one I tried it with was the front 19" on my Vstrom. I changed the rear too but I'm used to changing tires so for me it was faster not to use the ziptie method on the rear but I'm sure it would work just as good as the front. Not sure how it would work with tubes or even if you could use it with tubes. You could possible put the tube inside the tire and then try to fee the stem out after?
Be careful of that Shinko! I had great success with that (and they are really cheap) while around my neck of the woods. When I went to Alaska (see my sig for that ride report) the road surface ate my Shinko's. THe ALCAN is a different asphalt surface and ate through my rear pretty quickly. I've been really happy with the K60 (not the noise in the front though).

Todd