Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2014, 01:56 AM   #91
milkman67204 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
So after the cemetery I started with the closest place which was the Yamaha Dealership. I walked in saw new motorcycles and boats and thought I had hit the jackpot!

Then I was informed they had no tires in stock since it was Saturday they could order some and maybe they would be in by Tuesday.

I went to the next place same story only scooter tires.

Last place I knew of I walked in and the Salesman and Mechanic where the only ones there. They said no they had no tires. I was a little dejected and about to leave when the Mechanic stopped me and started making some phone calls. I thought he located one. We were having issues communicating though as to how I could get there. Finally the Slaesman said get in my car I will take you. So off we went the salesmen explaining that essentially the shop was closed because the Mechanic couldn't make any sales.

We got there but they had no tire. So we stopped in a car tire place on our way out to ask if they knew of anyone. They said wait we have ONE motorcycle tire in stock. I am thinking yayaya ok ok so they bring it out and its a 190/50/17! Not my ideal size but I think it will work.

We strike a deal that if it doesn't work I can bring it back for my money back. so off the a tire changing place

So for the third time in about 5 days off the rear tire comes.

IT WORKED!!!
I headed back to the motorcycle shop to tell them the good news. I tried to give the Salesmen, Pavel, some gas money but he would have none of it. So I offered to buy lunch but again no. So I asked when they closed I can come back and buy a couple beers for them. Finally it was decided that I would go to the lake that evening with Pavel and his friends and I would buy some beer!!!

I had almost no clean clothes but I did what I could then I had no sunscreen lotion and getting burned sounded no fun. We all drank and had a god time though.

Pavel and I

Friends

We all had a good time and went back to the city for a couple more beers. After that I went to my hostel where I got to listen to someone snore like a chainsaw all night
milkman67204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:06 AM   #92
milkman67204 OP
Adventurer

Next day I woke up and went to an outdoor museum Mallie Karellie. it is the largest outdoor museum in Russia, and I believe Europe. It is dedicated to wooden architecture

They have taken old buildings from around the Russian north and moved them here for the museum

An example of how the oniondomes were constructed back in the day

An old bible in one of the houses

They had a little play around lunch time that was amusing

After that I headed back to Arkhangelsk to see the downtown a little better eat then head down the road

To the victors in the 1918 war

A new church being built

I stopped by the police station on my out of town to ask about my missing license plate again. They looked at me like I was stupid and told me not to worry about it just keep my documents and head back to Moscow it will be fine

I saw this Monastary on the side of the road and decided to check it out

Then I saw these old buildings off in the distance I wanted to check out. I couldn't figure eout what road to take so I took one and ran into some kids about 14 years old. I asked them about the buildings they were just staring in amazement at me. Finally one said ohh ya its a big building. Well is this the road to it? uhhh ya. ok is it far? uhhh no probably no.

With that I continued on only to figure out it wasn't the right road lol kids....

Finally I got there it was an old church built in 1688

It had seen better days and was falling apart but still amazing

this old church was beside it also falling apart.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:37 AM   #93
Balanda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
I've been really enjoying this report, not your average ride and post. The history is fascinating. Great to hear of the generosity and warmth of the locals too. It's a reminder not to judge a people by the characteristics of their government, especially given today's events in Ukraine.
Balanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #94
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,140
Amazing museum. Was surprised not to find articles on it. Found this site though but I can't read russian. But it has a good load of pictures.
http://fee-dodo.livejournal.com/352908.html
Would love to visit the museum. There is a similar museum in Belgium for the preservation of ancient buildings. Makes at the same time an apt drop back for historic filming.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:43 PM   #95
milkman67204 OP
Adventurer

Glad you are enjoying it. I have been telling people for a while now Russia is the land of misconceptions. They do an amazing job also of realizing that the government isn't the same as the person. I have had many people tell me they hate America and our government/polotics but they don't have a problem with the people
Quote:
I've been really enjoying this report, not your average ride and post. The history is fascinating. Great to hear of the generosity and warmth of the locals too. It's a reminder not to judge a people by the characteristics of their government, especially given today's events in Ukraine.
Ya it was a cool museum there is also another museum on Khizi Island on lake Onega, I think its called. That one is also AMAZING and you get to take a hydrofoil to get there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Amazing museum. Was surprised not to find articles on it. Found this site though but I can't read russian. But it has a good load of pictures.
http://fee-dodo.livejournal.com/352908.html
Would love to visit the museum. There is a similar museum in Belgium for the preservation of ancient buildings. Makes at the same time an apt drop back for historic filming.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:56 PM   #96
milkman67204 OP
Adventurer

After the old chuch I found I started looking at the GPS and the next big town I wanted to check out was 700km away... It was almost 6:00pm so I decided to start looking for a camping spot. I try to start looking around 6:00 sometimes I find one real quick other times it takes an hour or 2. Tonight was one of those times I just couldn't find anything good.

Finally settled on this place

About 10 meters off river. Honestly it wasn't my favorite camping spot ever but nothing else I saw looked good either.

On my way out I stopped here to take some photos. It is some kind of recreation of an ancient ritual site where magic was performed.....

Started to drive to Vologda. It was 600km away but luckily the road was almost new the whole way!!!!!
Found this little church along the way dedicated to the people from the area who died in WWII

Finally got to Vologda and was needing some more money, the whole tire fiasco added up in a hurry. tried to go to a ATM my credit card was denied.. tried my Bank card denied.... Called them up and they said ohh its not us it probably has to do with the sanctions from America placed on Russia....

Well Hell I guess I am not staying in a hotel tonight.
Anyways I checked out Vologda This building was used as a hospital during the war.

During the early part of the war in Russia a lot of people were evacuated to this area as the Germans advanced. So there are a lot of graves around from the wounded men who were evacuated and didn't make it. After the war a lot of POW's were kept around the area also.

Anyways Vologda walking park

Lenin saying hello as normal

There is also a Kremlin in Vologda though I somehow failed to get a decent picture of it. Here is the best I got you can see it in the background

After that I headed on down the road first to Cheropovits I had been told there was a grave/monument there to the POW's that died in the camps. There is supposedly an American buried there.... I never did find it and it was rush hour so I kept on going. Finally found a place to camp but it was horrible so I didn't get any photos.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:11 AM   #97
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,401
Vologda - been there many times. It has been a few years since I was there - thanks for the recent pics!
Old 07-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #98
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
I always wondered how those domes were constructed! Thanks
Old 07-20-2014, 06:15 AM   #99
milkman67204 OP
Adventurer

That night I had some decisions to make. I was having issues getting money from the ATM's and didnt have enough cash to go on seeing everything i wanted to. After some thought I decided to head to Tver and stay at Okcana's home the rest of my vacation. There I could relax and she is an amazing cook!

So off I went. First through the town of Ustyuzhna. I wasnt expecting much from any of the towns I passed through. Considering was was going through the middle of the Tver district and nobody I had ever talked to said there was anything interesting there.
I ran into this church

I was kind of smitten with it and right across the street was their memorial to the war.

Then down the way I went until I ran into this church on the ourskirts of town.

Something about it was just amazing

So i eventually kept driving and the road turned to dirl/gravel again. This only lasted for about 100km though so it wasnt to bad.

Finally made it to Bezhesk where I saw this bus as I was waiting for a train to pass

After Bezhesk there was this old abandoned church.

After that smooth sailing to Okcanas house about 400 km total for the day.

Now time to rest for tthe next 4-5 days!!!!
Old 07-20-2014, 08:14 AM   #100
gwedo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
me thinks I would like to go there some day. whats the beer like.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #101
milkman67204 OP
Adventurer

So I stayed at Okcanas house the last few days of my vacation. Finally being able to find an ATM that would give me some money on the next to last day of my vacation.

Saturday night we ordered some pizza and ate and relaxed. I woke up Sunday morning about 3:00 am the pizza I had eaten didnt agree with me! I had to get home on Sunday so about 7 am I felt well enough to give it a shot. It felt like a long ride home, 160 km, hoping and praying I didnt have to make and "emergency" stop. Luckily I made it and have had time to recover now.

I came up with this map. Thats the approximate route I took

Total of about 3,600 miles or about 5800 km! I think something about 400 miles, 650 km, were on dirt or gravel roads.
Bike now has just shy of 43,000 miles on it.

Cant wait for the next adventure!
Old 07-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #102
milkman67204 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwedo View Post
me thinks I would like to go there some day. whats the beer like.
The beer isnt bad. Just like anywhere you can find decent beer here, usually import, or you can find cheap beer.

For some reason there is not a better feeling than walking out of the store with a 5 liter bottle of beer for about 4 dollars total lol.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:04 AM   #103
OscarCharlie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Very interesting report, with a unique take on WWII history.

It is touching to see how even the smallest Memorial is decorated with flowers. The Russians and other nationalities of the Soviet Union suffered staggering losses during the Great Patriotic War. Sacrifice on a scale we cannot even imagine ...

Thank you for taking us with you on your travels
OscarCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #104
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Great report! Looking forward to seeing your next one! Thanks for taking us along!
Old 07-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #105
Zave
Phucena

Oddometer: 360
Thanks for sharing
Zave is offline   Reply With Quote