User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #136
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,427

Great stuff, subscribed.
You got some serious mojo assistance out there. AKJeff, Grinnin, Jettin' Jim.
Love - peace - motorcycle grease.
AteamNM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #137
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,650
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post

Great stuff, subscribed.
AMEN Gary got that one in for us and I've been using it every since!!!
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #138
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,042
I'm in Yellowknife!!
Let me go back a few days….
Saturday afternoon Mitch took the two jet skis to the river

He backed the van up to the water, and I held the rope so it wouldn't float away (strong current!)

After he parked the van, he walked in the river (Brrrr, water cold!!) and started it.
Within seconds I hollered at him to stop, something sounded awfully wrong!!
Sure enough, the jet ski has this reverse start so what happened was that the ski was too close to the edge of the river, and it sucked gravel water through and damaged some plastic thingy )forgot what it was called).
So bummer, no jet fun that day. He had pre-ordered a stainless steel one, as every said that this would happen.
I basically relaxed the rest of the day and got a bit further on catching up on my blog (still not done though :( )
Packed most of my stuff that night, so I might leave early.

I left Mitch's place in Fort Simpson around noon on Sunday basically cause I couldn't fall asleep (which I finally did) and ended up sleeping late. That was fine with me as I was hoping the mud to be drier the later it was.
As it turned out the road was perfect!!! The mud was solid dirt and the gravel punched in pretty good.

Sambaa Deh falls, didn't hike down as I couldn't tell whether it would stay dry or not

The air was pretty hazy and smokey

Bridge before Fort Providence

I made it to Fort Providence in no time.
As I was tired I decided to find a place to pitch the tent early. I wanted to relax and go to bed early.

Found a secluded dirt road, near a gravel pitch.

Within seconds of stopping I was inundated wit bugs.
I frantically pitched my tent hoping to escape them

No such luck!!!

Got the inner tent in and hid out in there until I could face them again.
The noise was horrendous, Ten Buffalo could have surrounded me (or bears) and I would not have heard a thing!!

There were wild strawberries everywhere, and very sweet!! I wanted to pick a bunch but the bugs were just too much.
I thought I'd wait till it got colder and then pick some, but as I went to sleep at around 11, it was still warm, and now the mosquitos where there as well. I decided to go to sleep instead.
Slept long and late!!
It got too hot in the tent, basically forcing me to move and pack up.
Put my bug jacket on, even though it makes me hot, and blurs my vision, and got to work packing Spirit.
I was done in no time, and even skipped breakfast as my vestibule was riddled with bugs.

I stopped along the road to get rid of the trash when I found I had a hurt passenger

His tail had gotten stuck in my umbrella :(

I let him go and rode off toward Yellowknife.
Well…….. the road there was rather boring only as I was nearing Yellowknife did the scenery change.

Sand on the side of the road, like there were dunes!

Yeahhh, can't see the lake in the photo, it was very hazy

For a second it looked like New Mexico, Utah or Arizona

Stopped at the visitor center to find out where the health food store was…….. there isn't one!!!

So Here I am at McD for internet. I did find a Chinese store that had some That vegetarian curry. And nearby is a grocery store that I've been told carries a few health food things.

I'm not sure if I want to try a paid campsite for tonight, or if I'll head back ways and find somewhere along the road.
It depends on the camp ground and if I can get away from the RVs
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:47 AM   #139
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post

Sambaa Deh falls, didn't hike down as I couldn't tell whether it would stay dry or not
You got a better picture even though I parked at the park entrance just east of this bridge, crossed the road and wandered down the trail in your pic. THEN the falls was always hidden behind one ledge or another. It's not like there's so much traffic that stopping on the bridge is a problem. And bugs? . . .

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:38 PM   #140
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post

Great stuff, subscribed.
You got some serious mojo assistance out there. AKJeff, Grinnin, Jettin' Jim.
Glad to have you tag along!
Yep isn't that the truth, I've been extremely lucky since I left 2 years ago, so much help from JettnJim and many others along the road
Old 07-09-2014, 09:39 PM   #141
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
You got a better picture even though I parked at the park entrance just east of this bridge, crossed the road and wandered down the trail in your pic. THEN the falls was always hidden behind one ledge or another. It's not like there's so much traffic that stopping on the bridge is a problem. And bugs? . . .
Yeah sometimes it pays keeping your butt on the bike!!
Old 07-09-2014, 10:22 PM   #142
NomadGal OP
Esther

Well!!! I make a lousy tourist!
I did find the yarn shop and bought a couple of skeins of green (JettnJim's request) and I did find some very tasty Indian snacks at "your independent grocery," but other than that I just didn't feel like hanging around Yellowknife.
Then I thought. "Let's just stay at the campground here and explore Yellowknife tomorrow when I'm not so hot and tired.
Somehow I missed the sign to the campground and then decided I'd just find a spot to camp not too far out.

A few miles later I slowed down as I neared yet another milestone.

It's official, I've done 40,000 miles since I left Washington! Cool!

Twenty mile outside of Yellowknife I saw a dirt road veer off to the left. I followed it and it dead-ended at 2 gates, none of which looked like they had been opened in years.
After parking Spirit I was getting ready for the barrage of bugs, but wow! Wonder over wonder, none came!!
You have no idea how weird that was. Weird but wonderful.

I pitched my tent to the side just in case someone drove up to go through the gate. The sun was a red smokey blob in the sky, as the forrest fires still were going on.

Amazing how strong ants are! This little fellow was pulling a dead fly across the rocky ground

Went to bed exhausted and woke up in the middle of the night by the sound of pouring rain. Ahhhh, I love the sound of rain on my tent.
I turned around and fell promptly back asleep

The next morning it was still raining and I decided to just wait and see what happened. Other than raining not much! So, "R&R day" it was! I even dozed at some point, and that says something, I normally can't nap.
Went to bed around 10 and woke up at 5 AM.
I smelled smoke, and how. Of course the first thing I thought, hmmm I wonder if there is a forest fire nearby and the road is closed, so no one knows I'm here. I listened for traffic, but it was eerily quiet.
I figured that no one is normally on the road at 5 AM.
I tried to go back to sleep, but is was way too smokey, so I packed up (yep my wet tent too). It was 7 AM by then.

The rising sun was red again, too bd it didn't really show very well in the photo

Luckily I did hear a truck here and there pass on the road so I knew the road wasn't closed.
Because it was so smokey I had no desire to go back to Yellowknife and opted to just head to High Level.
I had PMed Agplant at tent space, if I could pitch my tent in his yard on my was through High Level, and got lucky in that he actually checked his messages a day later

smokey horizon

The bridge at Edzo river

Too bad it came out fuzzy

Lots of buffalo on the road that morning!

I kept riding and found myself yawning a lot. I am no early riser, that's for sure!!
I made it to Fort Providence and gassed up. That place is expensive!!
They did have free wifi so I checked my messages to see if Al replied, he had. Yippee, I would have a place to pitch my tent without having to look for it. And no worries about bears D
I was filling my tires with air at the pump when I heard this guy holler, excuse me ma'am!! He was holding my water bag that I had left in the diner! Wow, he had run all the way across the muddy parking lot to bring it to me. I told him he just saved my life!! IN a sense he did, as my Spot dangles from my camel pack.

I got back on the road , and before I knew it I got to the bridge.

I didn't get that view coming from the other side, so I stopped and took a pic.

As I hit the turnoff to High Level there was a huge sign saying,

"Road may be closed due to forest fires"
Ah, great! I hoped that this wouldn't be the case

Got lucky, the road was open but it was smokey and it looked like they just got the fire contained

As I got to the NWT/Alberta border I stopped at the tourist info, and had a cup of coffee. As I was sitting there it started pouring like there was no tomorrow. Later on it started hailing as well!! Boy what strange weather for July!
I think I spend more than an hour there, staying dry. Afterward it cleared up pretty good, but still I put on my rain gear and hit the road again. This time I had a Canada map that the owner of the info place got out of his truck and gave to me. He was very impressed that I did this ride all by myself

I got to High Level at 6, and went straight to the Esso for another one of those delicious salads!
I texted Al, and he came shortly after to show me where he and his family lived.

More later, my eyes are falling shut!
Old 07-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #143
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,650
Thumb

Good stuff....
And I like hearing that the rains were doing their part in balancing out the fires.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #144
agplant
Ride Fast Travel Slo

Oddometer: 288
And we were glad to host

Glad I did check my messages and were able to help out a fellow inmate on the road. Hope you have many more miles of safe travels and that we may cross paths again sometime.

Mel really enjoyed meeting you as well, even if you were like a couple of Omas with the knitting & crochet going.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:38 AM   #145
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,630
Excellent! Just found this via JJ! A little late but can't wait for more!
Old 07-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #146
Wal2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
nice to see you back on the road

thought you may like this.....

Wal2 screwed with this post 07-11-2014 at 11:31 AM
Wal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #147
8lives
Oops I fell again

Oddometer: 1,729
Ahh the adventure continues,and Spirit is looking dashing after the winter projects!
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #148
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wal2 View Post
nice to see you back on the road

thought you may like this.....
I love it!!! That's a lillikoi flower (or as you know it, passion fruit)
What a nice shot!!
Old 07-11-2014, 03:33 PM   #149
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Ahh the adventure continues,and Spirit is looking dashing after the winter projects!
Yep it does, and thanks, I like the way Spirit looked right after I finished. Can't say she still looks like that
Hope Jeff has a hose!!!
Old 07-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #150
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Hi Nomadgal! Love following your ride, you have a great spirit, oh, and the bike too! LOL. Follow your passion and keep riding!