Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2014, 11:55 PM   #151
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,049

I just had to take a pic of these pretty clouds

Following Al to his house in High Level

I had a great but short stay at Al's (Agplant). While his wife Melanie was in town we talked bike and travel stuff, but once she was back and I noticed that she crocheted, the talk switched to creative stuff
So I sat and knitted while Melanie crocheted, and we talked about family and other things.
I had pitched the tent in their yard, and it was very comfy!! They have a really nice and quiet yard.

complete with strawberry patch behind me.

Al had to go to work early and Melanie shortly after, but they let me use the kitchen to fix my oatmeal and finish packing.
I left fairly late that morning, as the tent was still wet.
Once I got packed I hit the road, it was drizzling unfortunately, but I was hopeful it would dry up fairly soon.

The beginning of Hwy 88 to Red Earth and then Slave Lake was a tad dull.
I did see these things in the fields, but have no clue as to what they are. I'm hoping someone can enlighten me

They are about 6 to 7 foot high

After Red Earth however the scenery turned way nice, rolling hills and a few curves does much to improve one's riding!

Once the rain let up I parked Spirit on the side of the road. sat down and had a snack.

These yellow shrubs where all along the road, making the scenery very sunny and lively, and putting me in a way more cheerful mood

Mixed in was some clover

While sitting there eating my snacks and looking at the flowers I realized that I was positively getting addicted to these!:

They are made with just corn flower, oil and salt, no cheese or anything, yet they taste totally cheesy!

Of course, one of the things that happens when riding down a not too challenging road, is that one looks at the speedometer more often, to see how far one got.
As I looked down I was a few miles away from this

I just had to slow down and then stop right as I hit this number

I hopped back on the road after a while until these amazing flowers caught my eye (more like the color caught my eye)

Side view

top view

I just love clover!

After a while I found myself getting tired again and automatically started looking out for a good spot to camp.
Then I decided on a whim that maybe it might be nice to stay at a camp ground for a change, and grab a shower.
Looking at the map I saw one near Slave Lake. I found it easily. It was a fancy road, and even saw a deer in the bushes.
Once I actually got to the entrance the place looks just too fancy!
RVs everywhere, kids running about and huge building for showers. Yikes! Something tells me this is not a $12 camp ground!
LOL, it wasn't but truthfully it was not as much as I would have guessed, namely $24.
Still I wasn't willing to spend that much for a small piece of dirt to pitch my tent, and probably not even get much sleep with all them folks about!

I turned around and spent the next hour trying to find a place to crash. Some of the roads I got on were just too muddy and I found Spirit doing the old tail swinging again. I really am not comfortable with that feeling!

Lesser Slave Lake, there was an awesome day park, and I was very tempted to sneak Spirit into one of the little hiking trails and hide there. The gate closed at 11. Yeah, I really didn't fancy getting caught and having to break camp up again, so I left

Finally I rode through Slave Lake and headed toward Lac La Biche.
About half an hour later (after a few wrong roads) I saw a steep dirt road veer off to the right. I drove past it not wanting to deal with steep mud, but then I turned around, maybe there would be a spot right on the top with a view.
I walked up the hill first to see how thick the mud was, not too bad! And yes!! a gorgeous spot on the top.
So even though I was tired and didn't need the challenge I decided to go for it and rode up the steep hill.
Spirit made it easy!!!
The only thing wrong with the location was the amount of garbage people left lying around! Why do folks do this???

I pitched the tent in no time and crawled in. It was bear country but I decided to just be aware but not to worry too much.
It was a very cold night!!
I woke early, 7 actually, and the tent was covered in dew and condensation. I turned around and went back to sleep for an hour.

Yeah, in no time at all my tent turned into a sauna!! It was time to pack up!
The ride toward Lac La Biche was pleasant and quick

lots of yellow fields, which Jeff says is probably Canola

Stopped at the visitor Bureau in LLB and according to my GPS I was parked in the water! Sorry, blurry!

I sat outside for a while enjoying the scenery and the fresh air

And the birds

And some more of those amazingly beautiful blue dragonflies

Tomorrow Jeff and I are going to Edmonton (wasn't I just there with Mitch???) to get a new rear tire for Spirit.
The 130/80 is just too small. I have a hard time parking and believe it or not, but that tire is almost worn out!!! I've only done 2,500 miles since Fairbanks. I've never had a tire go bald on me that fast before.
I wonder if it spins a lot more because it is so much smaller……
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:23 AM   #152
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,446
The 130/80 is just too small. I have a hard time parking and believe it or not, but that tire is almost worn out!!! I've only done 2,500 miles since Fairbanks. I've never had a tire go bald on me that fast before.

Actually, that is the correct stock OEM size. It's just that most aftermarket sizes are 130/90..... They do make more turns for the same distance.
Wearing out so quick may be because it is not aired up enough... & your load

griffo1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:24 AM   #153
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,446

Actually, that is the correct stock OEM size. It's just that most aftermarket sizes are 130/90..... They do make more turns for the same distance.

Your rear suspension may have sagged or not be setup hard enough, this will cause it to sit too low on the sidestand.

griffo1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #154
agplant
Ride Fast Travel Slo

Oddometer: 288
The little huts are for leafcutter bees, used in Alfalfa fields to pollinate the flowers for Alfalfa Seed. The huts are the "hive" locations as they need to stay dry to keep a healthy hive. They are scattered all across the fields as they only fly so far from the hive and the entire field needs to be pollinated for seed production.

Glad you had a good ride down and good luck on the tire swap.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #155
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,197
Thumb

Thanks for the science lesson.That's cool stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agplant View Post
The little huts are for leafcutter bees, used in Alfalfa fields to pollinate the flowers for Alfalfa Seed. The huts are the "hive" locations as they need to stay dry to keep a healthy hive. They are scattered all across the fields as they only fly so far from the hive and the entire field needs to be pollinated for seed production.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #156
Xequence
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
How did you guys make out finding tires? I've always mail ordered mine but I hear Alberta Cycle in Edmonton has the best deals for buying in person... Not sure if they are open on Sunday though?
Xequence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:42 PM   #157
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffo1962 View Post
Your rear suspension may have sagged or not be setup hard enough, this will cause it to sit too low on the sidestand.
This 130/80 tire is really strange, in it that even without any air in the tube, it does not turn flat, and is barely noticeable when riding, other than getting the feeling that your bike is struggling, and using up way more gas!
So yeah, when I did check my tire near White Horse, I had 5 psi in it! So I might have rode from Dawson City to there on basically no air. Still, that was only 300 or miles, maybe less. That doesn't seem like a lot of time to wear down so much.
Maybe they were already low on air when I rode the top of the world (that might explain not wiping out
Old 07-13-2014, 10:44 PM   #158
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by agplant View Post

I was hoping someone would know what these were!! Thanks Al! Say hi to Melanie!
Old 07-13-2014, 10:46 PM   #159
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xequence View Post
How did you guys make out finding tires? I've always mail ordered mine but I hear Alberta Cycle in Edmonton has the best deals for buying in person... Not sure if they are open on Sunday though?
I totally scored Alberta Cycle in Edmonton!!! Jeff had called and found out (after having been put on hold 4 times) that they had a 140/80/17. He had them hold it.
When we got there Yesterday (Saturday) we he found the one I really wanted, namely the 130/90/17.
It was on sale as well!
Old 07-13-2014, 11:40 PM   #160
NomadGal OP
Esther

I had fun today! Went ATVing More later.

Saw a fox walking in the yard

Yesterday, Saturday, Jeff and I drove to Edmonton to pick up the Shinko that he found at Alberta Cycle.

Stopped to take some pictures of these tiger lilies

When we got there we looked around to see if maybe…….. they had a 130/90/17. The one he put on hold was a 140/80/17.
Lo and behold!! They did, Jeff found it. I was happy, the 90 is taller and so much easier to slide your hand in when pushing the tube valve through the rim hole.

We walked around the store for a while looking at bikes and goodies.
Then because Jeff paid for my Shinko, I told him I'd take him out for lunch at Guru, and indian restaurant.
LOL, he had never had Indian food.

I think it hit the spot!!
The food was awesome, and we almost finished the whole order. (Ended up with a tiny doggie bag)

We stopped at a few other places, including on the highway to take a photo of this mosque,

and got back to Lac La Biche around 8
Jeff asked if I was interested in going for an ATV ride on Sunday, I said sure, sounds like fun.

When I got up this morning he was at his neighbor's picking up an ATV for me to use.
I took a quick cruise around the yard to try it out.
Then Jeff took me on a trip around the property, which I later found out was so that he could gauge how well I could ride the ATV.

It was good to have a few obstacles to run over before we set out, because the road (Hmmmm, don't think I can call it that) was quite a challenge here and there!
I'm just going to post a bunch of pics:

Following Jeff

Lots of those little blue dragon flies

It's amazing how a beaver can fell a huge tree!

Stopped at a beaver dam

dragonfly in flight

A little too much light, but Jeff is in really deep water there!! He had to back up as the ATV started floating!

Tomorrow I'm going to replace the tire, change the oil, clean the air filter and maybe figure out why my heated grips don't work.
The Shock is not here yet, my brother sent if off the day I got to Lac La Biche…….
According to DHL it just left Cincinnati. Yeah, we'll see when it gets here…..
Old 07-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #161
Xequence
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Cool pics, thank you for sharing :)
The ATV riding looks like a blast, especially the mud holes!

As far as your heated grips not working, not sure what kind you have but I have the Oxfords and mine konked out once. Turned out to be just a bad connection on one of the plug in connnections. I just pulled the connector apart, put some dielectric grease in the plug and reconnected it, no problems since.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #162
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xequence View Post
As far as your heated grips not working, not sure what kind you have but I have the Oxfords and mine konked out once. Turned out to be just a bad connection on one of the plug in connnections. I just pulled the connector apart, put some dielectric grease in the plug and reconnected it, no problems since.
I did check all the connections, even got a new relay, but still nothing. Not sure if I feel like messing with it anymore, but maybe I'll feel motivated in a few hours after Im done putting the new tire on.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #163
NomadGal OP
Esther

I've got pain in muscles I didn't know existed!! Yep, ATVing is good for arm development!

Changed the oil today, and again had some metal slivers in it, not too much like at the beginning of my trip a few years ago, but still some. Mostly aluminum, but a couple of tiny slivers looked like either bearing or stainless steel (bolt?) There were only a couple and about 2mm in size. I'm just hoping that these were wedged somewhere that I didn't get to when cleaning the engine after cracking it open and replacing the worn out bearings. I never did remove the electric copper coils (stator?) so maybe they were wedged in there. Still, she sounds and runs good so I'm not going to worry.

Afterhaving changed the oil, I loosened up the rotor bolts and the axle before lifting her up and putting a frying pot underneath her.

Who would have thought such a pot could have a double use??

I removed the rear wheel and one of the bolts attached to the links. Took out the shock bolts and then took the shock out.
As I looked at the shock I thought "What the???????"

I was baffled at first until a small piece broke off………. I had never seen dirt accumulate like that before.
I'm guessing the red stuff is shock oil, which really shouldn't be leaking out like that though….

As I had to take the plastic covers off to get to the shock I figured that my air filter would probably like a cleaning as I'd been riding through a lot of dirt and dust.
I took the screw out and removed the cover, then noticed a small strip of plastic that had slid down and wedged against the frame. Whoa! isn't that supposed to be attached to the air box cover?

Never thought I'd see that! Well, nothing some plastic glue or duct tape can't fix!

Yeah, she looks like this again So much for my silent hope that I would not have to work on her for a few months.

I had put the new tire in the sun for a few hours, and started to remove the little 80 off the rim.
I am very thankful that I didn't have a real flat tire along the way, i.e. a nail or so.
This little bugger was hell to get off!! Had to use Jeff's C-clamp to squeeze the bead down. Even then it took me quite a while to get it off.
Putting the 90 on was a piece of cake!!! So much more room to work with. Had the valve in the rim hole is just seconds. I think it took me half an hour last time to get it in while I had the 80 on it, and ended up with bruised knuckles and fingers to boot.
Yep, I am so happy to have been able to find a 90!!!
Old 07-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #164
Floyd111
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Tires and shocks

The red color might also be a leftover of what once was a red bump rubber.. Looks like it's been bottoming out for quite some time, mashed as it is.
Help is on it's way (please, please let it fit!)

Your tire wear.. might it have something to do with the altitudes you've been driving at? Not sure how high up you been, but there's already a noticeable difference in tire pressure over 4500ft altitude. At 6000ft, milk cartons, crisp packs, brought from the lowlands, are already likely to burst.
Just a thought..
Floyd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #165
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,462
Interesting bear in camp story. You don't carry Bear Spray?
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote