Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 09:54 PM   #166
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,760
Hmmm pretty new shock... . Was there any oily residue on the bike? Did you notice it handling badly? Is the bumper just shot? definitely ugly, wondering how it was working. (Of course the brothers custom Ohlins shock will be theee bomb! )
You didn't say how low you let the tire get? It will eat itself up pretty fast up on those GRITTY northern roads when low.
I rode up from Waynes in Lewiston all across B.C. into Hyder, then Watson Lake, then Ross River, into Dawson, then up to Inuvuik back to Dawson, over the Top of the World and on into Fairbanks on my 705 loaded heavy! (Before I learned to travel light) Then I swapped it out (it was shot) and headed up to Deadhorse on a new 606.
I'm thinking low pressure got you.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:30 PM   #167
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,610
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:06 PM   #168
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
Interesting bear in camp story. You don't carry Bear Spray?
Yes I do, but I was trying to see if he would leave the more peaceful way. I also thought he needed to be like at least 6 feet away from me, didn't realize you can spray that stuff up to 20 feet!
He caught me by surprise for sure!! in all these months I never ever saw one!!
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:09 PM   #169
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Hmmm pretty new shock... . Was there any oily residue on the bike? Did you notice it handling badly? Is the bumper just shot? definitely ugly, wondering how it was working. (Of course the brothers custom Ohlins shock will be theee bomb! )
You didn't say how low you let the tire get? It will eat itself up pretty fast up on those GRITTY northern roads when low.
I rode up from Waynes in Lewiston all across B.C. into Hyder, then Watson Lake, then Ross River, into Dawson, then up to Inuvuik back to Dawson, over the Top of the World and on into Fairbanks on my 705 loaded heavy! (Before I learned to travel light) Then I swapped it out (it was shot) and headed up to Deadhorse on a new 606.
I'm thinking low pressure got you.
Yep the bumper was shot!!! I kept on bottoming out too, so somehow I thought maybe the 7.4 kg spring might not have been a 7.4?
When I checked the pressure North of Whitehorse it was 5 psi! No idea how long it had been that low!! I didn't feel a thing
Old 07-15-2014, 11:27 PM   #170
NomadGal OP
Esther

The now Ohlins shock arrived today!!!!
It is awesome!

Other than a few minor glitches the shock fits beautifully, and as far as I can tell, without having had a chance to ride it yet, works great too. I haven't even messed with the settings yet!

The old and the new just so you can compare the difference. The dampener is the little black ring on the bottom, and the spring preload adjuster is the one on the top, kept in place with a similar ring that needs to be loosened first when adjusting.

close-up of the dampener and the difference in the bottom mount.

The top is different too! I removed the spacers and foam bumpers so you can see the heim-end (like a ball bearing)

That is sooo cool!

It was really a shame to put such a nice and shiny shock in a dirty bike, but after hours of trying to get the clay off everything, she still looks absolutely dirty!!

The only thing that was missing in the box was the Ohlins sticker that I was to stick on my bike!
haha, I guess my brother forgot to put it in.
Thanks Stan, I love it!!!
Old 07-16-2014, 12:16 AM   #171
L-ucky-S-ix
Dadgum'd

Oddometer: 360
Oh muh gosh. That is a piece of work! I hope that it makes your riding experience much more enjoyable!
Looking forward to seeing more of your ride.
L-ucky-S-ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:49 AM   #172
snooter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
in some sense it was probably best your tire was at 5psi..buying a new tire after the roads you have been on is cheap compared to a broken leg....always check tire pressure when tires are cold (first thing in morning best)..heck may be your guage is boogered up and if you did a pressure check when hot they could have been initial at 3psi and not 5psi (heat causes expansion (hence check tire when cold) while altitude will cause a slight increase in tire psi compared to sea level-tires shrink then volume on less surface area = psi increase-at sea level the tire expands so same air volume on more surface area=less psi-i think if i remember from my college skol days)..your rim lock or locks worked as they needed as the tire stayed on and you had great traction on crap road..

ohlins rear shock good choice..why manufactures do not have ohlins as standard fare i will never understand.you may have opted for the nitrogen filled but even the "standard" ohlins is far better than what has ever been on your bike..you are going to feel a huge improvement in ride quality and handling (you might next time look into a variable spring rate)..

i do think going to a wider rear tire (if i mathed correctly) is also well worth doing..i like a larger rubber patch on the road myself..weight difference and any affect on suspension is probably so minimal its not worth a consideration..

if you are concerned about steel bits in your oil ride the bike a hundred miles and do another flush..if none exists then (change oil when its hot) yea its probably some left over crud you never got cleaned out after the rebuild (i hope you did not get snookered into chi com or vietnam made bearings-SKF is worth the extra cost and "peace" of mind)..may be pick up a magnetic drain plug i dont remember if you have one of those or not..

i have followed you report since you parked your butt in alaska over the winter..always a good read..kinda like the fact of a hippie chick on a bike even though we aint got anything in common..well except for the bike and a damn well good written ride report-god speed

snooter screwed with this post 07-16-2014 at 03:19 AM
snooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:57 AM   #173
Nomadmom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
The now Ohlins shock arrived today!!!!
It is awesome!

The only thing that was missing in the box was the Ohlins sticker that I was to stick on my bike!
haha, I guess my brother forgot to put it in.
Thanks Stan, I love it!!!
Even the colour matches the bike! I'm looking forward to read your next report with the new shock!
Nomadmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #174
Floyd111
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
After the install you can start tweaking the rebound adjuster at the bottom, but only if required.
Changing rebound is a factor when you decide to drive higher speeds than usual with lighter or heavier loads., or when your average speed is kept doing very bumpy roads.
Your rebound is there to maximize tire grip under extreme conditions.
The standard settings are set to maximum efficiency already so you do not need to change much, as long as you drive normally under the conditions you stated.
If you are going to tweak things, go 2-3 clicks per test, and return to original settings whenever results aren't improving, heading the opposite way.
When you lose sight of settings, check the Ohlins manual for OEM position and return there.

The alu ring on top is the pre-load adjuster.
That one only needs to be adjusted if your average load changes strongly, like minus or plus 40-60KG.
Right now, the original settings, plus choice of spring are custom chosen to fit 1 person of your weight, plus your daily load.
In order to not damage this piece of art, put a soft cloth between the shock and the included adjustment tool whenever you turn the preload ring.

If you only are to spend a day or so without normal load, you may consider leaving the preload settings as they are, enduring the one-time harsher ride, rather than mess up the pre-set preload levels. These are not easy to find back later on, unless you know your business well. This is not about clicks, but about measuring millimeters.
Floyd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #175
Floyd111
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Maintenance is an issue though. With your type of shock-battering usage, you should consider an oil change/seal check every 10000KM, or 6000 miles.
A designated USA Ohlins Service Center can do this pretty fast and cheap.
Your seals should last. Normal warranty is 5 years, but extended warranty may vary per country.
Rinse regularly with water and cloth like any other bike part, but never with solvents. These shocks are built to take a hammering, no worries.

Also, with your kind of excessive mileage, you may as well decide to change the oil seals, each time you go in for a shock oil change. Seals should be cheaper than the oil and it's part of the same job, if done properly.
Your Ohlins SC should be able to check for seal/shaft wear and tear and step in, in time. Bottoming, in the form of a mashed bump rubber should never occur.

Consider that this maintenance is not an Ohlins-specific issue. Just like engine oil needs regular changing, so do shocks, any shocks. The fact that most people don't ever go in for an oil change, or that most shocks won't allow for a cleaning/oil changing procedure is irrelevant here. That's just the result of a bad production line, aiming for constant renewal/re-purchase of second grade items. A damper that allows for cleaning, repair or maintenance is a damper for life.
Floyd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #176
luuuc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post

I had also made a tool bag real quick before selling my sewing machine at the yard sale.
Great! Glad to see I'm not the only one obsessive enough to sew custom bags, rolls, and pouches for all my tools
luuuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #177
NomadGal OP
Esther

I am litterally baking in my tent!
Left Jeff's home early in the morning and headed toward Green Lake.
My plan was to ride Hwy 165, but it is looking like a bad idea as it has been pouring and might be pouring there for a while.
I had quite an adventure yesterday but will post more later. Typing on a small cell screen is not that easy
Old 07-18-2014, 11:42 AM   #178
agent of orange
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
amazing trails to go out on the quads with. alberta is pretty nice province well besides the tar sands.
agent of orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #179
NomadGal OP
Esther

I am in Big River after having slept about 12 hrs straight! (Well sort of)

I loved my stay with Just Jeff, I could have easily stayed longer! LOL
Jeff is a really sweet guy who surprised me after coming home from work, with veggie cheese and my favorite Veginaise mayo. I cooked dinner a few nights and he got a taste of meatless life.
The Ohlins shock was awesome, but unfortunately I had to leave it with Jeff, as unfortunately the main R&D guy that put the shock together forgot to put the 7.4 KG spring on it. Jeff and I were baffled for a while, trying to figure out what was going on. Well good to know that even the guys in Taiwan are human and can make a mistake
So Stan my brother is sending Jeff the correct spring, and Jeff will mail it to me once I figure out where I will be.
Jeff had designed a spacer to go under the spring on his KLR, and he put it on mine.
Basically what it does is that the spring has a way higher compression now. Amazing!!! i"m way high up and done bottom out. back to tiptoeing though! Even with a full load!
So I decided to leave Thursday even though I could have hung out till Monday for the now spring to arrive. But I figured if I wanted to make it to Quebec in about a month time (to maybe meet up with Jettn Jim) I would have to mosey on…
Jeff told me about Meadow Lake provincial park, and suggested taking Hwy 950.
I was on the road by 9

This picture is for Jeff who did not quite believe me that my RPM is only 4200 at 65 miles an hour (98kmp)

I rode into Saskatchewan and decided to take a picture of Alberta too, as I had missed the sign entering from NWT

Yep, now I am in Saskatchewan

Route 950
I easily found the turnoff to go to Meadow Lake provincial park. Right as I got onto the gravel I realized that my tire pressure was just way to high! I was going all over the place. I stopped and lowered it to 25 psi to see if it made a difference. In those few minutes I had 2 trucks stop and ask if I needed help, how sweet
I hopped back on and continued.
15 half an hour later, Spirit really started squirreling, what the??????
I hopped back off and immediately saw what was going on. I was standing ankle deep in gravely sand! Yikes.
Just by looking at it you can't tell. Someone had just grated this road!! Wonder if it was that huge weird tractor looking thing I saw?
I lowered the pressure down to 15 and decided to keep going on (I kinda debated turning around I have to admit)
While I was lowering the pressure another truck stopped and a guy came out offering to help. I told him what I was doing, and of course there came the usual questions, where was I from and where was I going. He kept on saying I don't believe it, by yourself? This whole way? He kept shaking his head, but was really sweet and gave me a map of the park and told me how much more of this sand I had to endure. He said even his little truck was going all over the place. He said bye and drove off, me I hopped back on hoping the ride would be easier now.
It helped just a little but not much. I basically kept riding on parts of the road that looked the hardest, and occasionally hit really soft groves. It was no fun!
On top of that I saw a bear at the side of the road, now would be a really wrong time to crash! Luckily it took one look at Spirit and ran.
There were maybe 4 or 5 times that I almost dropped her but didn't. Phew!

I finally hit this, oil treated, yippee!!

For my brake I stopped at a day park at a lake (can't remember the name) and had a bite to eat

I decided to forego my idea of going all the way north on this road, and took the turn off to Goodsoil.
I was already getting tired and figured I'd set up camp early

Lots of farms on the road, which I thought might make it a bit of a challenge to find a spot to pitch my tent
After a little while I saw a sign dead end road…. Bingo, that might work.
I rode down there a bit, but it was getting very hairy! Deep sand ruts, yikes, nope, not my cup of tea….
I managed to turn around in the sand and rode back to the road.
Right before I got there I saw a meadow on the left with an old run down shed. Perfect!
Away from the eye, unless you came down the road, and close enough to the road that even if it rained I could easily make it.
I did have to ride through a ditch of sort, but it was dry.

I love the high grass, it keeps the mosquitos out!

It was mosquito heaven there, so I quickly pitched the tent, tossed my junk in there and crawled in myself.
I lit some incense to keep the bug aways and got ready for the night.
As soon as I had gotten myself settled, it started raining. Talk about perfect timing!
It rained all night, sometimes heavy sometimes light. I fell asleep at 8 but woke up at midnight with one thought on my mind, I rode through a ditch to get where I was! Of course then I started worrying about how to get back on the road if the ditch filled up with water. I finally convinced myself that worrying did no good and that I would just have to find out in the morning. I slept till 9! I did dream about someone walking around my tent though, but I couldn't talk or move, it was weird.

Cute little fellow!

There was no rain in the morning and as I peeked outside it looked like it might be a nice sunny day. The weather forecast for Beauval and Flin Flon was rain rain rain. Crap!
I decided to ride to Green Lake and find out if they knew what the road was like up in Beauval.
Luckily I bumped into a Harley guy who called his friend in Beauval to see what the road was like. It had been raining up there too.
I decided then and there that I was going to head toward Prince Albert and take the road through Prince Albert National Park to avoid going through the city, and then head North to Flin Flon.
Don't ask me why I want to go there, I don't know myself! Still if the forecast keeps being tons of rain in Flin Flon I might just chance my mind, and stay where the sun is

I made it to Big River and am drinking some decaf while typing up my report at the Esso gas station which has a cute little diner

They have lots of good stuff to eat if you're a meat eater, I did see a Greek salad on the menu too though
Well, it's 4 PM and I am off again, spent too much time typing up my report!!!
Old 07-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #180
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Hi Esther!
Really enjoyed your stay with me as well. Did you get my reply to your text? Will email Stan tonight for an update on the spring timeframe.
Sorry that the Meadow Lake road was so bad. When I went through there last year it was wet but hard packed and easy riding. Looks like you found a good stealth spot to camp anyway!

Quote"This picture is for Jeff who did not quite believe me that my RPM is only 4200 at 65 miles an hour (98kmp) "end Quote
Dang! I never did count those teeth on the front sprocket! How does the Gps compare to the speedo now with the new tire?

Ride Safe! Your Friend,
Jeff
ErikMotoMan: "People struggle with many things in their lives. But the answer to struggle isn’t MORE struggle. It’s peace. If you want more joy, peace, love, happiness… you have to GIVE those things first. You have to THINK those things. You have to have faith that they’ll come to you, despite what you may see. The truth isn’t in what you see with your eyes. It’s what you feel in your heart."
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote