Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #211
DrydenRider
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Thanks G, I'll look and see where Dryden is and will let you know.
Yes looks like we will miss you. Just into the south shore of Superior now and prob not home until Friday night. Too bad. Ride safe
DrydenRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #212
Floyd111
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
" when Reeves was three years old, but Reeves knew his father until he was six. They last met on the island of Kauai when Reeves was 13."

A bit of a Keanu Reeves fan, eh? Waiting for 20 years in Kauai for his return..

And this is where the latent family-Aspergers sets in; The mayfly does not only live 24 hours as food, as such. It lives for a year or more a a "nymph" under water before becoming a short-lived flying "adult"

Would have loved more Earthship photos..If you get near others during your travels, try to make your way and study/share the details. If ever you want to build your own dome, hobbit house or earthship, there is much to learn about pros, cons, pricing, labor and technology, right there.
Many earthships come at a 100.000-150.000 usd price tag, believe it or not.
Then there's the location of your future house to consider.. Choose your climate type well, and you'll save bundles in money and work.
Myself, I had to accept it wasn't smart to use strawbale here in Taiwan, due to the hot and humid rain season months that turned out to be much more humid than I had realized before. This after more than a year's study and preparation. I am now looking into other alternative ways.
As far as domes go, this is a project nearby that has been going on for many years..https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-T...24145010952011. Have a look.
Floyd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #213
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Yes looks like we will miss you. Just into the south shore of Superior now and prob not home until Friday night. Too bad. Ride safe
Haha, thought I'd show you this

If you end up riding past the place on the way out, with all the flowers in front, you'll find a bottle of mosquito repellent!! I put is on top of my bag while checking my tire pressure, and forgot about it.
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:02 PM   #214
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd111 View Post
And this is where the latent family-Aspergers sets in; The mayfly does not only live 24 hours as food, as such. It lives for a year or more a a "nymph" under water before becoming a short-lived flying "adult"
Cool! Thanks Stan, pretty neat to know.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:03 AM   #215
DrydenRider
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,785
Just following my nose (good thing it's not crooked)

My neighbour saw you. He started telling me about this woman on a bike he saw who was riding all alone. I stopped him mid sentence and described your bike and that it had a Hawaii plate and he was flabbergasted.

Will check for the bug dope and see if it still there and then prep and leave it for a "biker geo cache"

We just got home last night and disappointed that we missed you. Safe travels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post

If you end up riding past the place on the way out, with all the flowers in front, you'll find a bottle of mosquito repellent!! I put is on top of my bag while checking my tire pressure, and forgot about it.
DrydenRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:06 AM   #216
NomadGal OP
Esther

It's Saturday morning almost 8, and I am actually awake, and sitting in a real bed at Finndian's girlfriend's house in Wawa.
I had a great few days since I last posted, so here it goes.
After leaving Kenora I discovered that Dryden is not exactly a stone's throw from Kenora

The road was getting more interesting and had some twists and turns and ups and downs. I did miss that!

I eventually got to Dryden, after having gotten poured on, and took a picture of the downtown sign, just so I could show Dryden-Rider-54 that I'd been there.
I parked at a little rest stop just at the edge of Dryden to lube my chain and to check my tire pressure, there were beautiful flowers planted there, still wet from the rain. I couldn't help but take some pics of them.

After leaving Dryden I was just cruising along when out of the corner of my eye I noticed a street sign

I had to make a U-ey and take a pic. My son's name is Travis, and I'd been missing him.so seeing a street with his name on it was kinda cool. I figured he'd get a kick out of it.

I kept riding for a while and decided at one pint that I'd had enough and wanted to crash. Of course when you are looking for a place to stealth camp, it might take a while at times. I kept turning in here and there, but nothing looked right. I even checked out a few rest stops with tables and such, but all specifically said no camping.
The at the last rest stop road work was going on and they had detoured the entrance. Once I got there I rode up the hill and saw a wonderful little spot. It was late and a few other folks had the same idea as me and had made camp there as well.

I pitched my tent near a table right next to the river and after a quick dinner fell right asleep.

The next morning (I did not get thrown out!) I discovered why the river was that loud!!

just a few yards from where I was camped!

There was even a second one, but hard to see through all the bushes and trees.

Because I had plenty of time before meeting Jettn Jim, I decided to hand there for a day and relax.
There were a lot of folks stopping by that day to see the little waterfall. Towards the end of the day the thought of maybe spending my night in my hammock and hide between the trees, entered my mind.
So I broke camp and set up my hammock so I wouldn't be visible, and also hid Spirit in between the trees.

Not sure if that had been a smart idea!! There were so many mosquitos there that they made me miserable, and I had just lost my repellent. The night turned out to be really cold, high forties and I was really cold in my hammock, as it doesn't have one of those down blankets suspended underneath. I even had my little foam pad in the hammock.
It took a while but I finally fell asleep, woke up in the middle of the night cold, and fell asleep again later.

Yep, hammocks just aren't comfortable for me. I think they are great when it is warm, and when I absolutely can't pitch my tent.
I crawled out fairly early and broke camp in the middle of a sunny patch so I wouldn't get bitten too much.
It took me still more than an hour to get ready, basically because I dragged everything in the sun before packing up.
I was glad to be on the road again, away from those pesky little buggers.

Crossed yet another time zone!!

I was nearing Thunder Bay, and rode the scenic route past Kakabeka Falls. I had been there with my kids years ago when they were little, (touring for three weeks in an SUV camping all the way).

I spent a while in Thunder bay buying more food for the road and mosquito repellent, even found Off botanicals, a lotion with Eucalyptus oil and no Deet! I also had to get a phone top up card, as my bank had put a hold on my account because I'd forgotten to mention that I was going to Canada.
Thunder Bay was a tad too crowded for me, so I hurried on out of there.

I found another little rest stop, and cooked dinner there. I was really hungry and figured that this way I could just pitch my tent somewhere and crash without having to haul my cooking gear out.
I was tempted to stay there as it was quiet and remote, but I had wanted to put a few more miles on, so I could meet up with Finndian in Wawa at a decent time the next day.

It was getting darker, and my camera takes odd pixels pics when it gets darker.

I ran into another rest stop at the lake, and noticed another camper there as well. There were no signs there that I couldn't camp, so I pitched my tent in a remote corner next to the water. It had gotten dark by now and as soon as I was done, it started raining as well. Boy, talk about perfect timing!!
I slept like a baby with the sound of the rain and the lapping of small waves agains the shore.

The morning sun looked awesome on the lake

Tent view from the lake

The sun was right in my lens, so it looks a little weird but still cool

I left fairly early, but had to pack a wet tent as the dew and the rain make both sides wet! I figured I'd put it up at Finndian's place.
The road toward Wawa was awesome! I even saw a sign to some falls and even though it said boardwalk closed due to painting I went there anyways. There was no painter there and the ropes had been removed, so I went down the boardwalk anyway.

It was worth the little hike and ignoring the signs

I stopped at a rest stop to eat some chips I had bought earlier and rest a bit.

Amazing to see Fireweed all the way here as well. If you look closely you'll see I even got a bee in the pic

I'm guessing there are beavers in the area!

I made it to Wawa and found Finndian's work place (after my GPS sent me somewhere else), he had given me the address. Turns out his shop has ATV, skidoos, and a couple of used bikes. Awesome!
I asked if I could borrow an oil pan so I could change moil, and he gave me one.
Changed my oil in no time and to my delight discovered an absolutely clean oil filter!!! not a sliver or grain of dirt in it!! I don't think I've ever had the filter this clean when changing my oil! I was so happy to see that!!

Gord (Finndian) closed his shop at five and we went over to his girlfriend Mary-Ann. She rides as well, and it is always great to meet another woman who rides!! His mom came over later with his youngest daughter and we had a very nice dinner together. His mom is quite a traveler herself, so here we were, a bunch of nomads sitting at the table.
Mary-Ann and I spend a while talking about riding and life, it's funny how many things we had in common. She is a do-it-herselfer too.

I took a nice bath and crashed in her son's bed who wasn't there.
I slept great but woke u early (forgot to lose curtains) I'm glad though, cause now i could do my ride report before I leave.
Gord and Mary-Ann are leaving today with the kids to go camping in Michigan, so I am glad I had the chance to meet them before they left.

Now I'm slowly heading toward a place where I'm to meet Jim. It's the start of a dirt road heading toward a small lake that I had picked out to meet at.
Gord told me about a nice side road that avoids Sault Saint Marie, and that has some nice camping. So I am heading there today.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #217
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
Make sure you smack ol' JettinJim in the back of the head for me!

I don't post a lot in your thread, obviously, but I'm still following along, wishing I was still on the road too! Life here in the "real" world gets too complicated, and I wish for the simplicity of just looking for a place to sleep, pitching a tent and calling it good.

But then I see my daughter smile, and all the sacrifices melt away.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:09 AM   #218
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,021

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #219
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,742
great pics of Superior Esther.

It was nice to meet you.
I Hope you found the roads I explained south of Wawa.
Safe travels.
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #220
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
Make sure you smack ol' JettinJim in the back of the head for me!
Shall do!!
Yep, I stayed home for years because of my kids, they are indeed worth it!!
Old 08-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #221
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post
great pics of Superior Esther.

It was nice to meet you.
I Hope you found the roads I explained south of Wawa.
Safe travels.
It was great meeting you the kids and Mary-Ann!!
I did find the roads you mentioned and the camping spot between the two sharp curves. However, there were just way too many folks there, I found my one little paradise fairly soon after.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #222
NomadGal OP
Esther

I'm in New Liskeard Ontario, right next to the Quebec border.
I'll post pics and RR later some time, I've spend way to much time here looking for food and whatnot, so I'm anxious to get going.
Looks like JettnJim and I will meet up at Set Anne du Lac this coming Saturday (if his shipment comes in from Fred).
So to kill some time I'm taking my time. Saw a dirt road on map I have, but google maps has no record of it. Hmmm, time to swing by the tourist info.
Will post once I get to Saint Anne
Old 08-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #223
Garnotte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Try mapsource or basecamp with ibycus topo map, easy to find online if you want some map for the gravel rd around here
Garnotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:56 AM   #224
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnotte View Post
Try mapsource or basecamp with ibycus topo map, easy to find online if you want some map for the gravel rd around here
another one to try is OsmAnd

http://osmand.net/

tom
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #225
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
another one to try is OsmAnd

http://osmand.net/

tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnotte View Post
Thanks you guys!! I'll check it out when I can.
In a few days I"m meeting up with Jettn Jim who has got the dirt route already figured out!!