User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #241
xcountry41
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
High road!

"I sure hope that once you go on a trip and camped out between bears, that you have the smartness of mind to not cook meat near your tent. The grease particles will adhere to your tent fabric, and will stay there for a long long time!! Bears will be attracted to it like flies to honey!!"
Hi Esther,
Yes thanks for the "high road "reception of my comments. I do travel and camp in bear country and have for many of my 52 years. Made my own solo trip to D2d and Alaska last year. If the meat cooking is happening that close to your tent then it will be on fire and you won't need to worry about bears. The rule is no cooking "inside "of your tent, and do it down wind. Anyway I don't worry cuz I only eat at Tim Hortons and my camp stove is only for show!! stay safe and have fun

PS.good to live by solid principals as long as all facts are accurate.

xcountry41 screwed with this post 08-08-2014 at 07:39 AM
xcountry41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #242
Animal Instinct
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Wonderful replies to xcountry41.

I am in the habit of seeing where your nose leads you each morning and it's like we're friends.

Our youngest son graduated this year. In the last 3 weeks we have sold our Veterinary clinic here in TX and will be moving to AZ mid September, after a couple weeks of planned vacation riding around the Rockies tent camping. The move was not planned at all. Things just started happening and we just watched it unfold. There is a higher power gently nudging us on....

I will find out Monday if I got a job as Arizona State Parks Family Campout Program Coordinator -- teaching folks to camp who have never been camping.

I sent links to my ride reports with my resume.

.....and if it does not work out, I will find something to do that is outdoors -- I'm not worried about it.

Your report, along with others, like JDowns' and Travelbugblues' opened my mind and allowed me to slip the shackles at 51yrs old. Already being minimalist and debt free didn't hurt either.

So thanks from the heart.

Scott
Animal Instinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:22 AM   #243
timetrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
[QUOTE=Animal Instinct;24808082]Wonderful replies to xcountry41.

It should have been wonderful replies to xcountry41. I didn't see anything wrong with all that he was saying. It looked to me like he was just trying to give her tips and it looked like she took it that way.

Good thing she likes to find isolated spots to pitch her tent and that there are so many places for her to do so. It is obvious she doesn't like camping in parks because of the things she doesn't like that the other campers do. I have been there many times but it is what it is......they paid their money just like I did.

Hope everything goes well for you for the rest of your trip.
timetrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #244
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
the "thing" on the road is a groundhog... a bit skinny, so I am guessing pretty young.
Thanks Silke!! How are you girl?? I read your RR occasionally, but am seriously lagging behind. (been busy riding )
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:40 PM   #245
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Like the way you think, and nice of you to take the high road on your reply, as lots would not have.
It's not hard, people can be honest with me about how they feel. Doesn't mean I will always agree with it, but I can always learn from it. Only I know myself, the good and the bad and the weak and the strong parts of me.
Every day is a challenge, and if at the end of it I feel that I have a bit better insight about life, myself and others, I am happy.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:43 PM   #246
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
well, I have just read the opening post, then skipped right to the last page.
What, the in between too boring
Just kidding, but it was a funny comment!!
Old 08-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #247
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post

???? not sure what the video is about. I haven't had TV in years!!!
But if I am guessing right it is about negative coworkers?

If this is meant toward my attitude toward work, then I would say it doesn't apply.
I may hate working, but at all the places that I have worked, I have been a very positive, happy, smiling and encouraging team player. Just because I did not like where I was did not mean that I was going to make others miserable. I would like to think that I am above that. I am also a very good actress who can keep a smile on her face and send positive vibes to others even if I felt like crying inside. At times like that I feel like I am splitting myself into who I am and who I am meant to be. Hard to explain.
So far people have always been sad to see me go, and said it was a pleasure to work with me.
I have a lot of friends left from the jobs I have had in my life (about 50 or more jobs I guess )
Old 08-09-2014, 03:56 PM   #248
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmom View Post

That's my girl!!!
HI Mom!!
Thanks for the thumbs up! You know how creative I am. Remember the witches????
Old 08-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #249
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerPaul View Post
Esther, I have followed you from the start of your adventure here. I don't think I have chimed in before. But after reading xcountry41's post and then seeing your response I decided to add something.
As I get older myself (approaching 70!) I have realized how so many people do not take well to criticism, well meaning or not. I think xcountry41 was well meaning and sincere, and I can understand where she is coming from.
But what makes me take the effort to post today is your exemplary answers to her points. Not one bit of anger, just very well thought out responses of what works for YOU, maybe not xcountry41 or others, but very importantly, it works for you! And for that I applaud you and your courageous adventure of a lifetime! Reading all these many months of posts, and insights into your world, I feel that you will continue to find what you are after, even if it is just that "right" turn on some back road.

And, it goes without saying, THANK YOY for taking the time and efforts to take us along with you. I look forward to following you as the adventure continues!
Thank you BoxerPaul, glad you are following along on my inner and outer journey
I rarely get angry, and if I do it's mostly directed at myself.
Most of the time sadness replaces anger, i.e. when Joann's Fabrics throws away bolts of perfectly good fabric rather than give it to someone. That made me so sad!! Guess I could be angry about it, but what would be the point? When I suggested donating it for a good cause the answer I got was "It's corporate policy". I guess I should have taken the time to email corporate and suggesting that they do something better than toss perfectly good things. But I didn't, I should be angry with myself for not doing that.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #250
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Instinct View Post
Wonderful replies to xcountry41.

I am in the habit of seeing where your nose leads you each morning and it's like we're friends.

Our youngest son graduated this year. In the last 3 weeks we have sold our Veterinary clinic here in TX and will be moving to AZ mid September, after a couple weeks of planned vacation riding around the Rockies tent camping. The move was not planned at all. Things just started happening and we just watched it unfold. There is a higher power gently nudging us on....

I will find out Monday if I got a job as Arizona State Parks Family Campout Program Coordinator -- teaching folks to camp who have never been camping.

I sent links to my ride reports with my resume.

.....and if it does not work out, I will find something to do that is outdoors -- I'm not worried about it.

Your report, along with others, like JDowns' and Travelbugblues' opened my mind and allowed me to slip the shackles at 51yrs old. Already being minimalist and debt free didn't hurt either.

So thanks from the heart.

Scott
I sincerely hope that you get the job!!! Keeping my fingers crossed for you, it sounds wonderful!!
I have sometimes thought of something along the lines of having a business where I take only women on bike/camp tours.
Part of me thinks that would be fun, but they would have to have their own bikes.
Not sure how practical that would be though
Old 08-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #251
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetrax View Post
Good thing she likes to find isolated spots to pitch her tent and that there are so many places for her to do so. It is obvious she doesn't like camping in parks because of the things she doesn't like that the other campers do. I have been there many times but it is what it is......they paid their money just like I did.

Hope everything goes well for you for the rest of your trip.
Yep, I do like isolated spots!! I will sleep through having a bear or cougar prowl around my tent, through rain, thunder and lightening, or any other natural noises, but I wake up with a jolt if just one person talks or coughs or walks past my tent.
That ought to tell you something
Old 08-09-2014, 10:33 PM   #252
xcountry41
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Appreciation

Hi Esther,and others following,
I'm a basically well meaning opinionated GUY, that admires most of what Esther's doing. I envy the freedom she is taking ,while making the most of my life and living up to what I see as responsibility to set examples for my kids and contribute to society. I have fought with many of the same emotions and at some point have convinced myself that I can strike a balance. That balance has included re discovering motorcycles and travel, living for physical and competitive activity , and realizing that not everyone on the planet can have a career that makes the soul sing. My kids have seen this reconciliation and I'm hoping it serves them well. I thought I saw some areas where my perspective could be helpful to a searching soul and I "went there" I do appreciate the grace, Esther. Apologies to any that were aggravated.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:00 AM   #253
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcountry41 View Post
Hi Esther,and others following,
I'm a basically well meaning opinionated GUY, that admires most of what Esther's doing. I envy the freedom she is taking ,while making the most of my life and living up to what I see as responsibility to set examples for my kids and contribute to society. I have fought with many of the same emotions and at some point have convinced myself that I can strike a balance. That balance has included re discovering motorcycles and travel, living for physical and competitive activity , and realizing that not everyone on the planet can have a career that makes the soul sing. My kids have seen this reconciliation and I'm hoping it serves them well. I thought I saw some areas where my perspective could be helpful to a searching soul and I "went there" I do appreciate the grace, Esther. Apologies to any that were aggravated.
No worries, I surely wasn't aggravated, and I was wondering why someone thought you were a girl.
Still how did it feel to be viewed as a woman for a few days.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #254
NomadGal OP
Esther

Hanging in a conference room with Jim!
We met up last night and had dinner till midnight at a pretty cool restaurant pub that made it's own beer (15 flavors to choose from). Not that I drink beer, but Jim sure was loving the Jalapeño beer.
Then because it was so late Jim opted for spending the night at a motel. Turns out that all the motels/hotels in town were full!! He talked the owner into letting us stay in the conference room. At first we thought just to put our pads on the floor, but they brought in a couple of fold out beds, short but comfy!

Anyways, let me backtrack real quick.
I left Val D'or fairly late, but couldn't help notice that it really was a quaint little place. I loved the lamp posts!!

All of them had flower baskets hanging down from them!

As I was riding South in search of a camp spot a huge double rainbow appeared!! Awesome!!

I didn't have my camera in panorama mode, so you're just gonna have to visualize the whole thing

I found a free little campsite with outhouse right off the road. There were other people camped nearby so I felt pretty good about the location.
Pitched the tent and crashed there for a couple of days, relaxing and waiting for Jim to head out.

The road toward Mount Laurier was picturesque, but mostly trees and lakes the whole way down.

Once I got to Mont-Laurier I had the hardest time finding a laundromat. My cell kept on giving me the wrong location. Boy was I ever missing my XOG!!
When I finally found one of them it was closed.
I went in search of the second one, and had to cross this bridge. Too bad the fencing was in front of the view.

The other one was still open, but it had gotten late. I opted to come back the next day to do my laundry then.
The ride toward the Parent turn-off was fairly short and went on the dirt road for a ways until I found a spot to pitch my tent.

A fallen down tree! Perfect! Not many people would be driving past here.
I pitched my tent while being swarmed by mosquitos and bugs, but once inside the tent it was peaceful and bug free.
I cooked myself a nice diner as I had bought fresh mushrooms, veggies and tofu!
I slept like a baby and took my sweet time the next morning to get packed up.

The laundromat was quiet, but luckily for me there was a guy there who happened to have change for a $20 as the coin machine was broken. Serendipity!!
The bathroom was a mess!!! someone had crapped and then tossed a plastic cup into the toilet with a rag in it!! People?????
As I really had to go I figured to just go and grab one of my vinyl gloves and yank the crappy (literally) cup out of the bowl and flush. Gross!! Afterward I figured I was entitled to use the bathroom to "shower" and wash my hair.

It was 4 when I was all done with everything and hung out at McD waiting for Jim who showed up a little after 8.

It's still early but the both of us are doing out RR and having a cup of coffee.
Pretty soon I'm going to put my new chain and sprockets on that Jim brought with him. and maybe do the valves. It depends on the weather and location of where we can do this. Otherwise somewhere on the dirt road under some trees with a tarp over our heads might work better!!
Old 08-10-2014, 07:44 AM   #255
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,798
Nice that you have Jim riding with you again. Enjoy.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote