thank you justjeff!
BoxerPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #272
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
???? not sure what the video is about. I haven't had TV in years!!!
But if I am guessing right it is about negative coworkers?

If this is meant toward my attitude toward work, then I would say it doesn't apply.
I may hate working, but at all the places that I have worked, I have been a very positive, happy, smiling and encouraging team player. Just because I did not like where I was did not mean that I was going to make others miserable. I would like to think that I am above that. I am also a very good actress who can keep a smile on her face and send positive vibes to others even if I felt like crying inside. At times like that I feel like I am splitting myself into who I am and who I am meant to be. Hard to explain.
So far people have always been sad to see me go, and said it was a pleasure to work with me.
I have a lot of friends left from the jobs I have had in my life (about 50 or more jobs I guess )
Ester, just getting caught up with your report.
My video was satire aimed at xcountry41. His post seemed like a Debbie Downer, a long ago skit in Saturday Night Live. I am a huge fan, envious, proud of you and send my best karma to you while reading every word. Carry on, sorry to confuse and muddy your posts.

Ateam
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #273
Animal Instinct
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
I sincerely hope that you get the job!!! Keeping my fingers crossed for you, it sounds wonderful!!
I have sometimes thought of something along the lines of having a business where I take only women on bike/camp tours.
Part of me thinks that would be fun, but they would have to have their own bikes.
Not sure how practical that would be though
Hey Esther,

I got it! Got the call today.

Do not discard that wonderful idea. Give me & Lois 12 months of teaching folks how to camp, learning all the legalities and such, and we might recognize a platform for what you are thinking of. It has a bit of potential....

Several long weekends of intense and focused work with plenty of time to do whatever in between.

You see, my interpretation of your shirt on page one just might have some credibility. Just not sure who the remaining 2 of the four riders might be.

I'm on page 40 of "NomadGal's Year on the Road" and, good golly. admire your grit.

Hope we cross paths someday.

Scott & Lois
Old 08-11-2014, 07:08 PM   #274
Floyd111
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:

"As I woke the next morning, i had a very unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach, I couldn't explain why. I kept looking at the trees and the river, but I felt like I was being watched. I kept my bear spray handy, and my ears open to the sound of snapping branches, but heard nor saw anything. I fired my tent off so the sun wouldn't have to work too much, and packed up quickly. By now my mind was literally screaming get out, I still had no idea why.
As soon as I was packed up I rode out of there, and once I hit the road the feeling subsided. What the …..?????
Oh well, hard to tell what is in my mind and what is really there sometimes. Still, I have learned to listen to my gut feeling."

This one had me think..
I been there myself, at times ignoring such alarms, and sometimes heeding them,. The "ignoring" occasions have cost me dearly.
I am convinced that there are many toxins in our daily diet that keep many of us from keeping these "doors" open. Meat, alcohol, white flower, carbonated drinks, refined sugar, additives, etc.
The less of those you take in, the better the chances of going through life as a person with inner calm, lucid dreams, wider consciousness and a better developed "sixth sense".
Now, in this case, no source of actual danger was present. Or was there?

Been studying the "spheres" phenomenon for many years.
Over the last decade there has been a virtual explosion of these "sphere" sightings worldwide. Hundreds of thousands of witnesses and almost as many videos.
This is not a matter of "believing" in them anymore. That day has long passed. It is a matter of explaining/describing/naming these entities.
By any standard, all we are able to deduct at this point that they are everywhere, and apparently observing us.

They come in many sizes, from centimeters to many meters, and my point here is that they also are seen to move in and out of our visual spectrum at will.
Over the last few years there has been a big boost in night-shot camera sales. These cameras are perfectly capable of catching these spheres on tape, even though they are out of "our" visual reach.
Thousands of people worldwide are waking up to this tech, and footage is so vast, it is near impossible to see all of it on Youtube.

Myself, the wife, the neighbors, my friends, have seen so many of them here, over the cities, in the mountains, daytime and night time, it even became a boring topic to speak of, after so many years, and sightings.

If you haven't seen them yourself yet, or have missed the data altogether, have a look at this presentation, lead by the world's most renowned journalist in this field, Jaime Maussan, from Mexico.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn6_2XILdzQ

If you feel there's something observing you, raising your sense of alarm, but you can't see, this might just be the explanation.

Yeah.. Esther 's got some weird relatives...
But, in order to to see, you actually need to look up to the skies, not just for a second, but for minutes, or a few hours. As long as you sit inside, watching TV, you'll never see.
Right now, I can't think of anyone I know that hasn't seen these spheres already. That's quite a number, not?
Floyd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:53 AM   #275
Bradlo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thank you !

Hi Esther... Just a quick post to say, thank you so much for your RR...
I am not too "macho" to admit that I would NEVER have the courage to do what you are doing, I would love to be that sort of person, but I just ain't!
I am, however exceedingly grateful to you for allowing me to share in your world, in a small way....
Keep riding, stay safe...and I will continue to follow from the comfort of my office chair many miles away in the UK !
Thanks again
All the very best
Stuart
Bradlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #276
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Wow, took a few days off the report and look what happens!
Sort of like a pause for a little philosophy. So nice it was not nasty. But for the most of us who can't or no longer can do 'the ride', we continue to follow with great admiration and envy.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #277
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,649
It is about time that this report was given back to Nomadgal to write...?
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #278
RicH2
Ric H2

Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post

Amen to that !!!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:45 AM   #279
agplant
Ride Fast Travel Slo

Oddometer: 288
Old 08-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #280
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,045
Holy Moly!! The things that go on while I am on the road!!

Just got back into civilization after miles and miles of sandy squirelly roads, and afterward lots and lots of rain!!
Jim and I are holed up in a really nice motel, doing laundry.
I am feeling a tad overwhelmed by all the responses, so I will reply to everyone tomorrow after a nice night's rest!!
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #281
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,162
Spank me! That road looks loose and deep.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:41 AM   #282
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Nice that you have Jim riding with you again. Enjoy.
Yes it has been wonderful and strange to actually be on the road with someone. We get along well and share a lot of the same philosophies, which definitely leeds to some intense and long philosophical conversations

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawMur View Post
I was bugged by your post and I don't really know why.
Why would I feel so protective of someone I don't really know personally?

Like you, I have taken the safe, secure, career focused path but I do envy and admire the people that do life differently. In fact, the outliers are generally the most interesting people. Our chosen path is not for everyone.
This RR is interesting on a few levels. It is about something I could easily see myself doing in the near future and not just a total pipe dream (though those ride reports are fun to read too), but it may also be about the perceived risk on some level, and someone willing to take it.
I am really happy NomadGal is out there, doing what she is doing and letting us all come along for a vicarious ride. You must be too since you are clearly following along.
Awwwww, thanks LawMur, feeling protective of me touches my heart!
But as I said, I did not take offense at what XCountry41 said, so all is well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
At 58 seconds, when I watched this in 1970 my life changed, and every riding playlist I use has this song in it.
I loved that movie! Saw it ages ago, and after seeing it and Ewan McGregor's Long Way Round I remembered also watching it. I think these flocs made me start thinking about doing what I am doing now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcountry41 View Post
Point is it would never work for us all to just wander around with the support of others..
Hmmmm, yep, I am going to have to defend myself on that one
I am guessing that you must have missed the parts where I did Roadshows for GoalZero to pay for my trip. And worked at True Religion in Florida during the Holidays, and now worked in Fairbanks for the winter making minimum wage to fund my trip East.
I never did ask people for money, but have been asked time and again for Paypal account info which after a while I reluctantly gave. At first I didn't, because I was uncomfortable accepting money, but then after a lot of PMs from various folks explaining to me why I should accept them, I finally did. It is not as easy for me as you would think to accept it. I still struggle with it, but if I believe that the universe (this time through my readers) will provide, then it would be odd to reject the help. Still, whenever possible I prefer to make my own money.
I would love for more people to do what I am doing. It would be wonderful to meet likeminded traveling folks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmom View Post
So what's wrong with giving other people joy, fulfill dreams they can not fulfill themselves anymore? NomadGal's dreams are dreams for normal people who are not able to go to those places for one reason or another. She gives you stories and is showing you pictures of those places and she tells you about extraordinary people she meets. And if some people are willing to support her by helping her to fulfill her dreams, what's wrong with that? Why is money always the problem for some people? Nobody is forcing you to pay a dime!
When you buy a magazine with beautiful pictures in it, like National Geographics, do you feel bad because you have to pay for it? And those magazines mostly show you places, where ordinary people can never go. So I enjoy NomadGal's ride report and I dream with her and I don't mind if anybody wants to support her. She gives me only joy!
Awww, thanks Mom!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
Xcountry41
Esther worked two crap jobs through the winter to earn enough money to continue with her journey. She does her own work on her bike including engine rebuilding. She doesn't ask much of anyone, and is very independent. While she stayed with me she chipped in on everything, trying to pay even when it wasn't wanted. She even left money behind (found later) to pay for the shipping of the shock I later forwarded. These are not the actions of a person trying to sponge off of people. If people wish to donate time or money to help her on her journey that is their business. She is a good and kind person in my personal and direct experience and I am a better person for having met her.
That is real nice you have seen the places you have "on your own dime". So has she.
I think you need to backoff.
Regards....justjeff
Glad you found the money, I knew you wouldn't accept it if I had given it to you!!!
Thanks for defending me, but XCountry is partly right, even if I don't ask for it, I do take the help that has been given me.
Still, he is kinda making me out to be a leech, . I am sure it is unintentional!
It was great having met you too, and will forever remember th gnarly ATV ride we did, and our wonderful Indian dinner!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloco View Post
Very well said. I agree 100%. Time to move on with Esters ride report.
Yep, let's do that!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
And once again i see the need for a "like" button on ADV. Well said Jeff....onward.
Nooooooo, that is so buggy on Facebook, can you imagine having it here?? LOL.
Would make things easier, but I find those likes so impersonal somehow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
+100s (feel the same as Jeff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backoutonthehighway View Post
Just found your report two days ago and finally caught up this afternoon (although apparently now I have to go back and read the first one for the backstory!) Excited about your trip and can't wait to read your upcoming adventures with Jettn Jim!
And adventures they are. The both of us together spell trouble!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Quick View Post
Ditto here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradlo View Post
Hi Esther... Just a quick post to say, thank you so much for your RR...
I am not too "macho" to admit that I would NEVER have the courage to do what you are doing, I would love to be that sort of person, but I just ain't!
I am, however exceedingly grateful to you for allowing me to share in your world, in a small way....
Keep riding, stay safe...and I will continue to follow from the comfort of my office chair many miles away in the UK !
Thanks again
All the very best
Stuart
Thanks you Steward!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
Wow, took a few days off the report and look what happens!
Sort of like a pause for a little philosophy. So nice it was not nasty. But for the most of us who can't or no longer can do 'the ride', we continue to follow with great admiration and envy.
Have I ever told you how much I like your signature line??
I once was lost………
LOL, that so describes me too!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Amen!! Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicH2 View Post
Amen to that !!!
Took the words right out of my mouth!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by agplant View Post
LOL, are you lurking now??
Old 08-15-2014, 06:51 AM   #283
NomadGal OP
Esther

We slept in too long and have to get out of the room by 11, which is not leaving me any time to do my RR.
I'll post all the pics I took and will write my report later.

It is later now, and I am updating this post a bit.

After leaving the motel in Mont-Laurier, Jim and I headed North toward Ste.-Anne-du-Lac.
We stopped at Mont Michael, bought some snacks at a little convenience store, and ate them across the street at one of those rest stops. This one however was right in town with nice "gazebo" structures with benches beneath them. I took off before Jim as I am slower on the dirt, and we agreed to meet up in Parent.
Once I hit the dirt I lowered my tire pressure, looking back all the tie expecting Jim to come barreling by. No jim…..
Oh well, he must have started talking to some pretty girl walking by I figured.
The road was squirrelly and it took me a while to get my dirt groove

I got to Parent around 5 and all the while no Jim.
Now I started getting worried that maybe he just went to fast somewhere and crashed!!
I decided to buy some juice and sit on a bench reading right at the entrance of the Town so I could see Ji coming. Luckily there was only one road coming into Parent.
I sat there till after 7 while watching the road and hoping the black clouds did not decide to empty their load of water on me!
Finally I heard a bike (after hearing several ATV's fro a distance thinking it was Jim) and yes, it was him. Phew!!!!
What had happened was that Jim did not pass me while riding, so he thought I had taken another route. He turned around and took another dirt road just to me sure I hadn't crashed somewhere. Awwwww…. that was so sweet of him!
I guess I had been riding a lot faster than he thought I would be so that threw hi off.
I was glad he was finally there, but by then I was pretty tired, and so was he (I think he added another 100 miles of dirt by backtracking).
We set out toward Hibou, and were looking for a place to pitch the tent.

Following Jim into the sunset, I felt like Tonto!

After a little while Jim turned left on a little driveway where a house was. What the???
Turns out that the house was deserted, but even better, there was a deserted Indian cabin below the house near the lake.

Jim unpacking. We made the cabin our home for the night.

Somehow the picture I took of the cabin didn't take. I'm sure Jim has a bunch
The moon rose not too much later and reflected on the lake. It was beautiful!
We put my tarp on the floor, and how tent foot print and piled our pads and sleeping bags on it.
As I lied down to go to sleep I could feel my body still vibrating from riding on dirt. Boy that sucks the energy right out of me!!!

The next morning I woke up and went blueberry hunting. There were millions all around the cabin and it took no time at all to fill up my bowl.

Made Jim and I some scrumptious apple/banana/raisins pancakes topped with Agave syrup and Blueberries

After having packed up this Moth? Butterfly? landed on my bandana

One last photo of the beautiful lake

We made it to Hibou not too much later as it was not that far from where we had camped.

In case you are wondering why no pictures………..
I was holding on to my handlebars for dear life!!!

Once we made it to camp Hibou, the folks that ran the place, Daniel and a woman whose name I forgot, told us that the cabins were all booked….
They kind of frowned upon us wanting to pitch our tent, and didn't know how much to charge us for that, so they told us that they would let us know the next day after having talked to the owner. We walked around camp with Daniel who showed us where we could maybe pitch out tents.
We found a spot between the trees with a view of the lake away from everyone else.
After pitching or tents I strung the tarp above them and parked Spirit partially under it too.
They even had showers!!! Awesome.
Jim said that now would be a good time to do the valves, as there was no wind and we had the tarp over our heads.
It didn't take too long luckily and we ended up changing two shims. Still, working on the bike again, albeit regular maintenance, got to me. I was glad Jim did the shims, I took care of taking her apart and putting her back together again.
At one point Jim jokingly asked if I carried some sort of mosquito vestibule as those pesky buggers were everywhere.
Should have seen the look on his face when I told him I did!.

I set up the little bug "tent" and sat underneath ready to make some dinner.
Before I got started Jim got to talking to a couple of guys, Mark and Michel, who were bringing us some food!!
Stir-fried vegetable rice, no meat or egg!! JIm got fried Walleye on top of his rice.

Yup, JIm's in heaven!!

I took a lovely shower that night, not realizing that the window cover did not work once the light was on………
Luckily there were shrubs in front of the window, and even if there weren't I"m not exactly built like Marilyn Monroe, LOL.
The next morning the weather had changed, the wind had come up and Jim was wondering how big the waves would be on the big lake.
He had planned on taking me on the lake in a motorized canoe that he was going to rent.
Turned out that renting the canoe was a heck of a lot more than we thought it would be!! $130 plus gas!! Yikes.
We decided to break camp and head to Obijiwan and then back unto solid road toward Alma.

The road to Obijawan started out real loose and gravelly, but got better after a while. Still, even though I've gotten better at riding dirt, I was happy once we hit pavement!!
On my map of Quebec it showed a campsite on our way toward Saint Felicien, not sure if I spelled that right!
We almost missed it, but I am glad we didn't as it was a wonderful, albeit neglected and no longer maintained, camp ground.
We found a spot between the trees, right across the lake, and again put the tarp above us.

We had just finished eating when the rain started.
I slept wonderful as the sound of rain just knocks me out!!!
We spent the next day in our tents reading, eating and relaxing.

I do have to mention one really funny episode, that made me crack up!!
At our deserted forest camp ground at the lake, Jim took it in his head to go take a bath!! So here is is while it's raining, running butt-naked (nope I was in my tent and didn't watch) through the campground into the lake.
Like I said, even though I didn't watch, just hearing him make me laugh so hard! He is seriously funny at times!!!
Hope you don't mind I wrote that on my RR Jim!!

On the third day I felt the urge to pack up and go, even though it was still raining. I wanted to see how easily I could pack up in my new tent with the tarp above, and i I could stay dry.
Well, the pack up went pretty smooth, but I sure didn't stay dry! LOL.
I think I shocked Jim by packing up as he was all cozy in his tent ready to relax another day.
We had run out of toilet paper, and I had run out of books to read, so the thought of not having anything to read for a whole day did not sit well.
JIm packed up as well, but I could sense he wasn't too happy about packing up in the rain.

We rode to Alma and Chicoutemi/Saguenay where Jim got a Motel. We were both soaking wet!!
The rest will be on my next RR

NomadGal screwed with this post 08-18-2014 at 08:11 PM
Old 08-15-2014, 08:09 AM   #284
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
It's good to see you riding with a friend/companion/backup. I know no matter how great it is to do something like this by yourself, it can be a lonely road out there. Always great to have someone team up for a little while.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #285
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,449
So, didya smack him in the back o the head for me?

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote