Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2014, 05:50 AM   #61
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNS View Post
NG,
You are most likely dealing with Black flies..
They are slightly larger than gnats..
When they bite you they just chew until you bleed..
They have a anti-coagulant in their saliva which keeps the blood flowing..
Your body is having a reaction to the saliva which causes itching and swelling..
Not much you can do after they bite..
Use skeeter repellent to keep them at bay around your ears, neck and any clothing openings as they will crawl up your sleeves and pant legs..
I use to work in the Fort Nelson area up off of road 77 and they were bad this time of the year..
Yes the ones you call gnats are prob black flies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_fly they are also known as a buffalo gnat or turkey gnat. For a natural repellents Citron based would prob be most effective but deet based chemical is the repellent of choice for bush workers

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:06 AM   #62
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
I'm proud of you for continuing on even when it got hairy. I've definitely been there, and it's really scary when you're by yourself!! You're getting more skilled though, and those skills will stay with you. The more you conquer, the fewer situations will inspire fear.

That's one reason I really like gatherings! If you're with a group and things go haywire, people can help you get the bike out of a ditch or whatever. It's a good time for pushing your limits (within reason).

The spot with the view was awesome!
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:06 AM   #63
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 394
Great to see you back on the road. Really admire your courage in taking "the road less traveled".
Old 06-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #64
John Fabian
Fabe

Oddometer: 88
Hot Springs

If you pass Laird River Hot Springs, stop for a soak it is we'll worth it.
Also, in Muncho Lake, just south of the Hot Springs, is the Muncho Lake Lodge. Go in and check out their map in the dining room. It's a hand carved beauty. However, French toast will set you back $19 so you may not want to eat there. Looking is free. There are dozens of big horn mountain goats around the lake. Keep your eye open.

Be safe and keep ridin' - Fabe
John Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #65
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,650
Thumb Oooh Yea!!!

Great update Esther! Your gear is very dialed in this time around! Very nice kit you have rollin' around.

Pic's are tremendous...

Your Riding has improved 500% !!!

Yup no knats up thataway.. Black flies... they secrete a saliva that allows them to chew on you and you don't realize it.
Then later your bloody and have a decent size hole in you!
Now it swells and hurts...
Facing the wind is your friend... they LOVE engine heat and the smell of fuel! ( I learned this years ago on the bike and around boats deep in Quebec) Seriously, they will come to your bike like bee's to a flower. When you do a prolonged stop to take pics and a breather get away from the bike.

I don't like deet and such, so I keep the neck gaiter on and as much skin covered as possible.
They are out during the heat of the day mostly and let the skeeter's mainly have the dark shifts.

Anyway SUPER ride ya got goin'... Your making it hard for me to stay put this year!!!!!

Peace and Love,
Jim

EDIT:
Oh and PS,
A quick way to get some of your brake feel back... do a reverse bleed.

Wrap your trailstand velcro strap (or any rope/ strap) around the front brake lever and throttle grip squeeze your brake lever in, tighten strap.. go back to your tent and let it sit all night. Do whatever you can/have to to hold the rear pedal down. This will get some air out.
I've done it to my bike as a final tune up after Vac- bleeding them.
Works gooood. Depending on how much air you've still got... try it and let us know how they feel.

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 06-28-2014 at 09:41 PM
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:13 AM   #66
longrides1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Bee sting tip for you, I'm reading your old blog and saw that you got stung.

Ok here it is for all that get stung while riding, most of carry some sort of spray lube for chains or general use right, so spray it on your bee sting and it takes the pain right out of it as well as swelling. I just got stung in my pasture the day and sprayed my sting and no pain.

Learned this trick last year near Twisp WA from a farmer, I was stung on my upper arm after a yellow jacket had gotten up my jacket sleeve and I was dancing around on the side of the road getting my jacket off and he stoped and asked if I was stung yep sure was.

Ask me if i wanted some pain relief, sure he gets out his WD-40 can and sprays my sting almost instantly the sting went away.

When I got stung the other day I used a different brand of spary lube and it worked just as well.
Ride Report
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1004437
longrides1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:58 AM   #67
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by longrides1 View Post
Bee sting tip for you, I'm reading your old blog and saw that you got stung.

Ok here it is for all that get stung while riding, most of carry some sort of spray lube for chains or general use right, so spray it on your bee sting and it takes the pain right out of it as well as swelling. I just got stung in my pasture the day and sprayed my sting and no pain.

Learned this trick last year near Twisp WA from a farmer, I was stung on my upper arm after a yellow jacket had gotten up my jacket sleeve and I was dancing around on the side of the road getting my jacket off and he stoped and asked if I was stung yep sure was.

Ask me if i wanted some pain relief, sure he gets out his WD-40 can and sprays my sting almost instantly the sting went away.

When I got stung the other day I used a different brand of spray lube and it worked just as well.
I like this! Ol' timers used to spray it on their knees for joint pain too. Also WD is great on lures as fish attractant.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #68
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
One quick question:What kind of bugs here bite, and make your bite swell up enormously??
I have a really big arm now, and my neck and leg (which have also been bitten), are swelling as well.
The area is totally hot and inflamed.
Could it be a horsefly?? I does hurt quite a bit, but I'm not sure what to do about it.
NomadGal
You OK? Haven't seen anything since this post and am a little worried.
Regards....justjeff
ErikMotoMan: "People struggle with many things in their lives. But the answer to struggle isn’t MORE struggle. It’s peace. If you want more joy, peace, love, happiness… you have to GIVE those things first. You have to THINK those things. You have to have faith that they’ll come to you, despite what you may see. The truth isn’t in what you see with your eyes. It’s what you feel in your heart."
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:05 PM   #69
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,042
Why do I even stay in campgrounds?
After paying $12 to spend the night in mosquito zone, I also ended up having to sleep with my earplugs in as some of the neighbors thought it was okay to play rock & Roll music till 1 in the morning.
Needless to say after a tiring day (mud and all) I ended up with hardly any sleep.
The next morning I was disoriented and sluggish and got out of there pretty late.
Still I figured, it stays light long, so I can just take my time and ride longer.
I swung by Watson Lake tourist info again to fill up my warted bottles and met 2 guys on motorbikes heading to Dawson City. They asked me how far it was as they thought they could do it in one day. I guessed about 500 or more miles (it was 605) and told them it was a bit much for one day. I suggested the route I had just taken, warning them about the short construction nightmare. It would save miles, but I don't think they were interested.
They took some pictures and a lady took one with all of us. I gave them my ADV name and hope they'll remember it so they can post the pic.
I talked to my Dad for a while and headed out. About 5 miles later it popped into my head that I hadn't tied down the stainless steel water bottle on my passenger foot peg, I looked down, and sure enough, nothing there! Sh…..t!
I turned around with the hopes that it was lying in the parking lot of the info center. Right as I got there I saw something shiny and utterly flat un the highway surrounded by a puddle of water.
I really loved that bottle, it held a lot of water!
So here I went trying to find another bottle that would hold water. Neither the grocery store nor the sport/tourist store had any nalgene bottles. I did find another stainless steel one for $10, not as big but close.
Got it filled up with water and finally was able to leave Watson Lake.
Once I started riding I got over my sad and frustrated mood of forgetting to tie up my bottle and having to buy a new one.
I think the reason why it frustrates me so much is that I am on a tight budget, and having to spend cash on something I really didn't need if I had had it together just frustrates me. I know people say that money doesn't buy happiness, but I do think having it puts you at ease. Still, I have to continually tell myself not to worry and that everything will be just fine. To be in the now and to quit worrying about what might or might not be. Some days that actually sinks in, other days not as much.

My first photo opportunity put a smile on my face

Yay!! Finally in Bison country!

Took a quick break to eat a Lara bar it the river, but there were too many bugs around to relax

Another bear!! I finally got my share of bears

Now this little bugger was determined to find out what was in the truck, it wouldn't budge. I rode up and he just looked at me, not going a foot away from the truck.

Just beautiful!

Aww, lots of baby ones too

I'm letting the pictures do the talking, I was just riding

I'm guessing it was loosing it's winter coat, either that or they always look so shabby

I was getting tired even though it was still early. I really am a person that needs a goof night rest!
I was riding through Muncho lake provincial park now, and everywhere it said campsite full. Tuesday will be Canada day, so it's a really long weekend with lots of folks camping.
Even Liard Hotsprings was filled up, so I didn't even bother stopping for a soak. Not my idea of fun to jump into a hot spring with tons of others in it.

The views were just amazing!

It's a pretty cool feeling riding that class to a lake, I don't know why, but I find it soothing and exciting at the same time.

After a little while I had to admit that I was beat, I needed a place to crash.
I kept my eyes open for a little dirt road veering off, but there was nothing, until I saw a grown in road making a sharp turn to the right. It was going up pretty steep but I had ridden harder stuff so I went for it not knowing were it would end.
Haha, I didn't have to go too far to find out. The road stopped all of a sudden, like it was never meant to go anywhere, or had utterly gotten overgrown.
It was perfect!

I was high above the traffic and had another great view.
It was perfect timing too, as no sooner had I pitched my tent and gotten my junk inside when it started to rain!
I was very happy that I could finally relax and go to sleep.
There were some interesting flowers in my tent, but one was of a dried up yellow flower that now had something like and Avatar, hair end thingy

Wonder if these gave James Cameron the idea for the Avator way of connecting ???

I warmed up a carton of of soup and crashed!!
Slept like a log and woke up around 5 am just to turn around and leap a few more hours.
It had rained for a while that night but not when I woke up.
I relaxed and read for a while thinking I'd break camp in a little when it started raining again

No biggy, I was more than happy to stay put for a day.
Around noon the sun came out and made the inside of the tent into a sauna!! All that heat and moisture contained in a tent was a tad more then I bargained for and I started packing my stuff.
It felt good to be rested
I was out of there a little past 1 and happy to be riding again toward Fort Nelson.

Not too long after I had left I saw my first male moose close up!!!
I was ecstatic!! Finally a moose!!

I think he got a little annoyed with me, as I was creeping closer and closer, so he turned around and walked away.

Saw a couple on a bike, with an MSR tent like mine (or close) tied on the back (I recognized the green bag)
The license plate was foreign, maybe German??

I gassed up in Toad River and bought a sticker saying Alaskan Hwy and it had a drawing of a huge mosquito on it, LOL.
The gas price there was staggering, not to mention that Spirit started stuttering not too long after. Diluted gas???
I hope not.
Almost exactly 100 miles after Toad River I saw the turn off to Yellow Knife and Fort Liard.
I needed to go to Fort Nelson first though to get a map and to fuel up.
The visitor information center was right as I got into Fort Nelson. What an awesome place!!!
You can hand out and use their wifi for free, have a cup of coffee on the house and just relax!!
That is exactly what I am doing now

In a few I will go and find a gas station, and then turn around to head toward Hwy 77 into the North West Territories.
The weather forecast is rain for tomorrow, so Maybe I'll just camp for a day until the sun comes out. The forecast for Yellow knife is lots of sun.
Afterward I'll head to LacLaBiche in the hopes that my brothers fancy shock will be there.
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:13 PM   #70
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,042
Holy Moly!!!! Gary A…..
Your surprise blew me away, I'll be able to fill up my tank a few times with your gift.
Thank you so much, glad you are enjoying the ride with me. Were you in Dawson City? Did we meet?
I am terrible with names but somehow I think I met you, the name Gary rings a bell. Please let me know so I can put a face to you
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:13 PM   #71
bluestar
misfit

Oddometer: 686
Those are some really great pix.

Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:54 PM   #72
GaryAK
Easy Going

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Holy Moly!!!! Gary A…..
Your surprise blew me away, I'll be able to fill up my tank a few times with your gift.
Thank you so much, glad you are enjoying the ride with me. Were you in Dawson City? Did we meet?
I am terrible with names but somehow I think I met you, the name Gary rings a bell. Please let me know so I can put a face to you
Hi Esther,

We just got back from our stateside ADV ride - you posted on it once about Deb's Hawaii stickers on her Pelican cases. We haven't met in person, but we did trade a few PMs this winter, and we know a lot of people in common - Jettin' Jim, Alex, Mark H., and the list probably goes on.

Knowing what it takes to be on the road, Deb and I wanted to lighten your worries for a couple of days for gas, food, and I dunno, maybe a stainless steel water bottle...

Besides - now that we are home and responsible & mowing the lawn and stuff, it gives us vicarious pleasure knowing you are on duty out there doing what needs to be done - riding and living on the road.

Love, peace, and motorcycle grease...

Gary & Deb

GaryAK screwed with this post 06-29-2014 at 09:13 PM
GaryAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:58 PM   #73
longrides1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Just finished last years RR, what an epic adventure.

Me and wife will be in Canada day after tomorrow doing a loop HWY 20, 97, couple side roads, HWY 3 in Canada back to US thru Sumas, to Hwy9 to Hwy 20 and home.

Someday I will do the Prudhoe Bay trip, just not on my Multistrada.

Keep the rubber sides down NomadGal!
Ride Report
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1004437
longrides1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:19 AM   #74
Nomadmom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Great pics Esther, wish I could travel with you.
Nomadmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:44 AM   #75
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
NomadMom!
Make your way to LacLaBiche, I have a spare KLR sitting here ready to go!
Regards....justjeff
ErikMotoMan: "People struggle with many things in their lives. But the answer to struggle isn’t MORE struggle. It’s peace. If you want more joy, peace, love, happiness… you have to GIVE those things first. You have to THINK those things. You have to have faith that they’ll come to you, despite what you may see. The truth isn’t in what you see with your eyes. It’s what you feel in your heart."
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote