Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2014, 09:56 AM   #76
Nomadmom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
NomadMom!
Make your way to LacLaBiche, I have a spare KLR sitting here ready to go!
Regards....justjeff
Thanks, JustJeff, but it's been about 50 years that I last rode a bike, hahaha! :
Nomadmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #77
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
NomadMom!
That's no excuse! I just got back from Quadding all day in some of the toughest bush around here. We were gone from 8am till 4pm and traveled 41 miles in 8 hours. My Quadding buddy is 66 years old!!
Regards....just jeff
ErikMotoMan: "People struggle with many things in their lives. But the answer to struggle isn’t MORE struggle. It’s peace. If you want more joy, peace, love, happiness… you have to GIVE those things first. You have to THINK those things. You have to have faith that they’ll come to you, despite what you may see. The truth isn’t in what you see with your eyes. It’s what you feel in your heart."
just jeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:50 PM   #78
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
NomadMom!
That's no excuse! I just got back from Quadding all day in some of the toughest bush around here. We were gone from 8am till 4pm and traveled 41 miles in 8 hours. My Quadding buddy is 66 years old!!
Regards....just jeff

This was my mom in her younger years
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:55 PM   #79
NomadGal OP
Esther

Last night was I night I'll never forget!! My first real encounter with a bear!!
But…… let me backtrack just a little

Left Fort Nelson pretty late, but as I had a late start i didn't mind.
Got back to the turnoff to Fort Liard in no time

The first part of it was paved, so the riding was smooth.

pretty awesome bridge

I kept riding for a while, but realized that I was getting tired.
I kept looking for a little niche to park my tent, but nothing felt right
One spot really appealed to me, on a little ledge near the river, the trouble was I would have to ride though a muddy dip that might be more than a dip in the morning if it rained, so I exed that idea.
A few more areas looked promising but were too sandy or wet.
Then I saw a nice flat area that looked perfect. there were a few more places like it down the road as if more people could camp there.
I pitched my tent and made dinner, it felt like a good spot.

The amount of bugs was surreal though!!

I checked to see if by any chance I had reception, and sure enough, that cell tower that I passed saying something about peace and for your use, must have been put there for travelers. Awesome!
A little while later I went outside to brush my teeth and in the corner of my eye I saw movement.
Hiding behind the bushes staring at me with a curious look on his face was a big black bear.
Well, of course that first thing was I froze… could not believe my eyes. A bear, here???
Ahhhh, what do I do? oh yeah, noise, they don't like noise.
So here I was hollering you bear, go, shoo, go!! He looked at me as if I was crazy and walked hesitantly toward me.
My foghorn! Where did I put it? In the tent! so I ducked into the tent to grab it. While I had done that he had come to me even closer and was now a mere 15 feet or so away. I pushed the bottom on the foghorn to scare him away, nothing happened!!! Not a peep. What the??????
I then ducked back in the tent and got the bike keys, started Spirit up and revved the engine while hinting the horn.
Yeah, he didn't like that at all and veered away from me. I revved a little harder and honked a tad longer and he bolted across the road into the bushes. I left the engine running a tad longer, just to make sure he didn't come back.
Phew!!! A little nerve wrecking. Later everyone tells me a black bear? ah, no worries they are really shy and scare easy. Well, he didn't look shy to me!
I got to wondering if he was looking for food, and if he could smell through the Pelicans.
So I got out the brake fluid and dabbed some on the pelicans here and there (away front he stickers!) hoping to disguise the food smell. The I tied a knot in the tank hose in case the bear came back and thumped over the bike, I didn't want the gas to spill! I also put the little jack on the other side so Spirit would be harder to push over, and went to bed.
I heard a few noises, but nothing major. I did smell some stinky stuff though, but was too tired to care and fell asleep.

Nothing happened at night and I woke up after a good nights rest.
It had rained just a little during the night, so the tent was wet.
Wondering if the bear might be back at some pint, I decided to break camp and head to Fort Simpson.
I had Pm'd MitchG to see if I could pitch my tent up at his place.
I packed up pretty fast and dried my tent with my REI towel, took a picture of where I saw the bear, and left

he was standing just to the left of the hedge

Glad to be heading North. The scenery was not very exciting though.

I made to to NWT!!

The road turned into dirt once I was in NWT, and for the next few hundred kilometers I rode on hard packed and squarely gravel.

I stopped in Fort Liard to gas up. It's a small town and I met an older couple on a gold wing heading to Alaska.
They didn't have much on them, but he said the only way he was able to get the wife to go was if they would stay in motels.

I finally started seeing some hills again!

Around three I was starving, no idea why all of a sudden I was so hungry, so I stopped and got out the stove and heated up some Tasty Bite Indian food. Now I only have one left, sniff!

I felt rejuvenated and hopped back on the bike.
An hour later I hit the intersection to Fort Simpson.

Pavement again, yippee!! I think I rattled enough for one day.

Half an hour later I got to the Ferry into Fort Simpson

Fort Simpson in the distance.

Mitch met me at the visitors center and drove me around the island for a while.
He also noticed that my rear brake disk was history!! some huge groves were carved into the outside of the disk. The inside was still smooth. What the??? how was that possible?

Turns out that putting used disc pads from another bike might not have been the best of ideas.
I still have my old brake pads, so I'll put them on for the time being.
Looks like now I have to order a new brake disc and have it shipped to Jeff
I am so glad for the donations I have received in the last few days. It's like you all knew something was gonna happen!!!

Well, here I am now, and it's almost midnight. I am going to crash!!

Before I go, and heartfelt thank you to longrides1 for your wonderful gift!! As you can see, perfect timing!!
Thank you for following along
Old 07-01-2014, 01:26 AM   #80
Schussboelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Awesoem ride Esther!
And that bear story is a great one to tell and tell again and keep telling!!!
You have a good night's sleep now. ;-)
Schussboelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:28 AM   #81
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,740
Looking goood and the bear story was funny! for us... Thank you.
I happen to have a new rear rotor that I can never use if you want me to ship it to Jeff?
Just PM me his address and I'll mail it out.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:00 AM   #82
Nomadmom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
I happen to have a new rear rotor that I can never use if you want me to ship it to Jeff?
Why do I have the feeling that you are slowly taking your bike apart and send it to Esther? Thanks anyway
Nomadmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:27 AM   #83
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmom View Post
Why do I have the feeling that you are slowly taking your bike apart and send it to Esther? Thanks anyway
Old 07-01-2014, 05:25 AM   #84
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,774
Coolest pic I have seen in a while. Take care with those bears, don't trust them to be shy. They are curious and have poor eyesight. You did the right things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post

This was my mom in her younger years

dryden_rider_54 screwed with this post 07-01-2014 at 07:33 AM
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:59 AM   #85
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
i've been following your new post. I have a question. what happened to the car you drove in alaska winter? were your able to sell it or just barely give it away? it amazes me the things you do and get away with... i'd go crazy! but you always seem to adapt to every situation...
Old 07-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #86
NomadGal OP
Esther

Was I ever tired yesterday, hanging in there by a thread!
Now that I've had a good nights sleep (bug free) I feel so much better.
I went outside to take a look at my disc (rotor) and pads and saw that one of the pads was totally worn down to metal!
No wonder it scored the rotor!! How is that possible? When Jim shipped me a new brake caliper it had still tons of pad on the brake. Could it have just dislodged itself from the metal?
I wonder if a ton of mud got stuck in between from the "top of the world ride"?
Needless to say now I know why the scoring.
Looked online and boy those things are pricey!! $230!
JettnJim offered to send me one of his. , but I start feeling that there not enough time in my life to make it up to him!!!

Mitch is a cool guy who has the good fortune of having a job that he really loves.
We were talking about that yesterday and it is so true that if you do something you love then your job is not just a job but something that is part of who you are. It's like living like you're retired, even though you're not, he was saying.
Most people once they retire start doing gardening or whatever, and finally enjoying their time. If they had done gardening as their job in life, they would have enjoyed their work more.

I can see in reality that that could be true, but I've just never found something that I enjoy doing more than a few times and then not get tired of it. LOL, must be my restless nature……
But that's what my journey is all about, finding the thing I love doing most, other than riding camping and knitting
I'm going to put my other brake ad on it today, and hope it will last till I get to Jeff's place.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #87
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Hey JIm,
I think I am running out of things to say………….
Yes I would love the rotor! So you need any more hats knitted? or mittens?
Will send you a PM
Old 07-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #88
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoom916 View Post
I did my first solo motorcycle camp trip to Big Bear lake last weekend. Your ride reports have inspired me. When your last road trip ended, I was like the groupies when Forest Gump stopped running...WTF do I do now?

Glad we are back on the road.

Glad I got you inspired!
Did you post a ride report about your trip? I'm sure happy you are following along, knowing peole are reading my posts really make me feel like I am not riding alone.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #89
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
They all bite. Typically there are deer flies, look like a size of a house fly that attack and bite in numbers, horse flies larger than a house fly, that have a fierce bite but normally individuals. There are black flies that will get under your hair, back of the ears. There are no see-ums which are very small and don't hurt bad but itch like hell. Then there are the plain old mosquitoes.

All can cause swelling if you have not been exposed to them. Antihistimanes will reduce swelling and a wash with soap (I find ivory works as it has little scent) will relieve itch
Thanks dryden_rider_54, I was wondering about the antihistamines. It took a few days but the swelling finally went down. now I just have a big hole in my arm
Old 07-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #90
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNS View Post
NG,
You are most likely dealing with Black flies..
They are slightly larger than gnats..
When they bite you they just chew until you bleed..
They have a anti-coagulant in their saliva which keeps the blood flowing..
Your body is having a reaction to the saliva which causes itching and swelling..
Not much you can do after they bite..
Use skeeter repellent to keep them at bay around your ears, neck and any clothing openings as they will crawl up your sleeves and pant legs..
I use to work in the Fort Nelson area up off of road 77 and they were bad this time of the year..

Really enjoying your ride commentary and photo's..
Great job!
Yeah, it was one of those buggers! Wished feet didn't make me so nauseous, but oh well, I'll toughen up!!