ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
Mud Bucket OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Installed new fuel filter and now its not starting..grrr

Hello inmates

Thought this would be a straight forward re & re. My bike (2010 990R) was giving me some poor performance in the trails in the low RPM's ( having to clutch keeping the RPM's up) and thinking back on one trip before on a straight away the bike lost power giving it all. I thought maybe it would be time to replace the fuel filter seeing this is a noted issue. Took the old filter out and replaced it with the KTM kit. Lots of O-rings, filter, and a tea-bag filter. Fairly pricy. I have 20,000km's and the replacement was due. Old filters looked fairly dark.
Put it all back together feeling pretty proud, everything seamed to go without a hitch until I tried to start it. haha. It turns over but no fire up??? I listen to the pump when I turn the key and it sounds like its priming. It goes for a bit then shuts off. Squeezing the fuel line it feels like it pressurizes then as soon as the pump stops the pressure eases off. I had the bike running for 10 to 20 seconds a couple of times but dies quickly. So

1. Fuel pump?! which I think is working. It worked just before doing the filter.
2. Injectors? Do they clog? I did have it going for a brief moment

I have read as much as I can looking at past filter experiences with wires popping off. I checked 3 times and have continuity on the ground.
I have fuel in the tank
I put a hose into the check valve where it splits from the tank and lots of fuel comes out when its priming.... but not sure on exact pressure its at.
I felt the hose on the bike side pressurize when the pump primes.

I am scratching my head.
At a loss??!
Cheers
Mud Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:55 AM   #2
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,813
The most common problem is the connection check valve.

It usually does not "click" properly, blocking the fuel for safety reasons.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:03 AM   #3
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
It usually does not "click" properly, blocking the fuel for safety reasons.Cheers.
I've never done this. No always the quick disconnect has been properly re-connected. I'd never take the SE tank off again because I didn't get the quick connect fastened properly. No idea what you are talking about. Move along, nothing to see here.......

cheers

Markie
Old 06-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
Mud Bucket OP
Adventurer

Quote:
It usually does not "click" properly, blocking the fuel for safety reasons.
Cheers.
I can feel the pressure build up passed the connector on the bike side. Cant be the valve.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Did you pinch the line between the tank?
Old 06-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #6
Mud Bucket OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
Did you pinch the line between the tank?
I wish, hehe. The tank is unbolted and loose. When the pump primes I can feel the line fill up past the quick disconnect valve. After that the line appears to be a straight run into the air box to the carbs.
I called a service shop and they said it should be a simple plug a play with the filters. He said if you hear the pump priming then it should work. I have also used a clear hose and inserted it into the valve to the tank side of the quick disconnect and turned the bike on. Lots of fuel spits out into the tube while it primes.
Thanks
Old 06-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
Mud Bucket OP
Adventurer

Further looking into this some more. I spoke to a mechanic friend of mine and he suggested the pump when it primes should not loose pressure once it initially pumps on start up. Pressure should be maintained. Once the bike is running the pump is inaudible. I did notice the fuel line pumps up when I pinch it with my fingers when priming but immediately releases when the priming process stops and the start up is done its cycle.

So I am now going to take the pump out again and check all the o-rings
Hope I see something
Old 06-18-2014, 12:09 AM   #8
Mud Bucket OP
Adventurer

So I found a conclusion to the issue I was in. Good if anyone else has it.
I tested the line with the tank loose and starting the bike which primes the fuel pump. I felt the fuel line pressurize pinching the line with my fingers and pressure release once the pump stopped priming. After talking with a friend who works on bikes said the fuel line should keep the pressure up. Not depressurize right after the pump shuts off. I took the fuel pump apart again and went through the o-rings and they all seamed fine until I looked at the relief valve at the top. The o-ring which is not in the kit for replacement seamed a little loose. I replaced it with a slightly larger o-ring and put it all back together. Fuel line kept pressure and started right up no problem.

Hmmm. Not sure why the kit wouldn't include an o-ring for that and the lower larger o-ring sealing the complete pump to the tank.

Hope it helps someone else

Cheers
Old 06-18-2014, 08:08 AM   #9
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 881
Well done.

I will be looking for that when I change my filter soon.

Cheers.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #10
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,813
A photo would be usefull

Or the number from the part's number?
Thnx
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:01 PM   #11
Mud Bucket OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Or the number from the part's number?
Thnx
All I used for the pressure release valve was a 2mm o-ring (Little thicker) and what I eye balled was a close size diameter in a multi pack of o-rings. I will post the size I used.
One other note that will help in any fuel pump filter kit replacements. Use o-ring grease or Vaseline on everything o-ring plus liberal amount when seating the complete unit into the tank. I eyeballed a close size in the auto parts store with the cut original one and went for a slightly thicker one. Even though it was thicker the Vaseline allowed it to slide into place without damage. I was able to remove the pump assembly again, fix my issue and reset it. No damage. Work all 4 bolts evenly into the tank.

Cheers
Old 06-19-2014, 05:52 AM   #12
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 881
Were they petrol resistant o rings you put in ??

If not you might be replacing again soon.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:49 PM   #13
Mud Bucket OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
Were they petrol resistant o rings you put in ??

If not you might be replacing again soon.
Yes, to the larger ring around the fuel pump housing but the smaller 2mm ring to the pressure release valve was not. My multi kit as I looked it up is more for air application. No biggy. I am replacing it shortly. Want to ride it for a bit first and head to the auto supply store for an identical size.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #14
Mud Bucket OP
Adventurer

Size of the o-ring for the pressure relief valve was an 8mm x 2mm ring
Old 06-20-2014, 08:09 PM   #15
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,885
Also, the white filter housing that holds pleated paper filter, must hold pressure. The metal clips that you bend back to open this housing often won't snap back in place. You have to push them back over the plastic bumps to get it to stay. If you don't do this, the housing will pop open under pressure and you'll get exactly the same pressure drop. I have to get out my big pliers and put them across both clips to snap them back.

Open it back up and show us a picture.