ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
iq9 OP
n00b
 
iq9's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2014
Location: North Wales, PA
Oddometer: 2
Garmin Zumo 590LM Installed onto 2014 Adventure 1190 R

I just installed the brand-new 590LM onto the KTM GPS mount.

The unit fit onto the KTM GPS mount perfectly.

I wired it into the ACC2 connector under the power port (which you can fish out with your fingers). Everything works great. ACC2 is "switched", so the unit powers on when I turn the key, and goes into battery-mode when I turn off the key. I merely had to purchase some Male "AMP" connectors and a crimper (at Home Depot) for the GPS power cables, so they would plug into the KTM's connectors. Easy!

A great GPS paired with a phenomenal, off-road superbike. Love my new ride!

Let's go adventure touring!
Attached Images
 
iq9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer
 
luckychucky's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: SE Missouri
Oddometer: 1,013
Grea Pic of Nice Setup

Now you have no excuse for getting lost! Maybe you can say you had a dead battery.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:19 AM   #3
Igotthis
So Close...
 
Joined: Jun 2014
Location: Washington Wetside
Oddometer: 46
Looks great, now you'll have a speedo that's accurate too! How is the ktm mount for vibration?
Igotthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #4
iq9 OP
n00b
 
iq9's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2014
Location: North Wales, PA
Oddometer: 2
Ah, the speedo margin-of-error is a "known issue". I was planning on posting to find out, but you saved me a post.

Yeah, I suspected speedo-accuracy issues maybe a week into ownership, when I commuted to work via highways one day. I had it pinned at 75 and people were just blowing by me. And now, testing my GPS for the first time last night, I immediately witnessed the definitive proof. Of course, the faster you go, the greater the inaccuracy.
  • 80 MPH indicated is really 74 MPH
  • 60 MPH is really 55 MPH
  • ...on so on...

That's a pretty significant margin. I wonder why some bike manufacturers still have issues like this. My Ducati 1098 speedo was spot-on, but I do encounter other riders still reporting otherwise for certain bikes. It would seem a "solved problem" these days, with accurate electronics and modern software, but it still exists.
iq9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:19 AM   #5
Somewhere Far Beyond
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Somewhere Far Beyond's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: The Great Northwet
Oddometer: 124
That same inaccuracy is present on the 640 and 950/990 Adventure. On those models, you could change the wheel size to 19 inch on the speedo settings and the speedo would be spot on, but the odo would then be off.

I read somewhere that this inaccuracy is intentional and had something to do with European laws. But I don't know for sure.
__________________
2003 KTM 640 Adventure
2004 KTM 950 Adventure
And I don't fear that dusty godforsaken path
Somewhere far beyond...
Somewhere Far Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #6
kag
Wander Lust
 
kag's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 1,130
Just as a cheaper option for guys.....

I run a Bluetooth Nuvi 1490 (5" screen), the KTM plastic bracket, then a Ram plate for the Nuvi. The Nuvi snaps in is very secure and snaps very quickly out of the Ram. Added a couple of nylon washers on the back of the Ram plate so it secures well to the plastic KTM gps bracket. 6k miles or so since mounting and it has been working great. The Nuvi can be picked up for under $100 and then install a 4gb chip and update the maps for free on Garmin site. Bluetooth links very good with my U-Clear helmet device. Been through torrents of rain with it.

__________________
“Always drink upstream from the herd”

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS

kag screwed with this post 06-21-2014 at 09:28 AM
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
mvonkaenel
Roost Hog or Die
 
mvonkaenel's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 104
Kag. I like your low cost solution. Did you wire it into one of tha acc circuits?
__________________
'98 ATK605
'99 Buell Cyclone (sold)
'07 Yam WR450F
'07 Yam XT225
'14 KTM 1190 Std.
mvonkaenel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
andrewrt
Adventurer
 
andrewrt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Port Moody, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
Just as a cheaper option for guys.....

I run a Bluetooth Nuvi 1490 (5" screen), the KTM plastic bracket, then a Ram plate for the Nuvi. The Nuvi snaps in is very secure and snaps very quickly out of the Ram. Added a couple of nylon washers on the back of the Ram plate so it secures well to the plastic KTM gps bracket. 6k miles or so since mounting and it has been working great. The Nuvi can be picked up for under $100 and then install a 4gb chip and update the maps for free on Garmin site. Bluetooth links very good with my U-Clear helmet device. Been through torrents of rain with it.

Hi Kag

Any chance of a picture of the set up to the KTM bracket. Just ordered the RAM Cradle.
__________________
14 KTM1190 ADV R
06 HONDA CRF 250X
KTM 500EXC (on my wish list)
andrewrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:39 PM   #9
kag
Wander Lust
 
kag's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 1,130
Iq9 has a very nice set up with his Zumo unit but GPS tech has come a long ways in a just a few years and refurb or used older units perform great in most situations. Specially once you upgrade the maps which is very basic and easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvonkaenel View Post
Kag. I like your low cost solution. Did you wire it into one of tha acc circuits?
No but I could very easily, I currently just plug it in using the accessory plug with a usb combo for my phone too. I will be stripping my bike down again next month and plan to hard wire the gps then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrt View Post
Hi Kag

Any chance of a picture of the set up to the KTM bracket. Just ordered the RAM Cradle.
I will see what I can do
__________________
“Always drink upstream from the herd”

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #10
kag
Wander Lust
 
kag's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 1,130
I am sure there are other ways but this is how I did it. The ParaBellum shield does are great job in not only deflecting wind but protection from other issues. The U-Clear works with my Samsung phone and GPS. If the U-clear runs down too much I just plug it in also. My $10 phone mount works perfect and is very water resistant.....lots of rain rides









__________________
“Always drink upstream from the herd”

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #11
Xphile1999
n00b
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Oddometer: 6
I have the 590lm with the touratech mount and locking cradle on my 1190 r. Great unit, but the mount vibrates a lot and I believe it hits the screen when I hit a bump in the road. The locking mount doesn't look as secure as I expected, but I may have an idea to help with that.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Xphile1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #12
JHpowderhound
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Oddometer: 44
I have the Touratech mount as well and it does bounce around a lot. I am looking to add a stiffener that would connect the bar on the mount to the screws below it where I believe the KTM mount connects. If you have a solution let me know.

Eric
JHpowderhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:43 PM   #13
R&R4adv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
R&R4adv's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Ipswich, Queensland, Australia
Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
Just as a cheaper option for guys.....

I run a Bluetooth Nuvi 1490 (5" screen), the KTM plastic bracket, then a Ram plate for the Nuvi. The Nuvi snaps in is very secure and snaps very quickly out of the Ram. Added a couple of nylon washers on the back of the Ram plate so it secures well to the plastic KTM gps bracket. 6k miles or so since mounting and it has been working great. The Nuvi can be picked up for under $100 and then install a 4gb chip and update the maps for free on Garmin site. Bluetooth links very good with my U-Clear helmet device. Been through torrents of rain with it.

I have the same nuvi but it won't connect to my scala helmet unit
__________________
R&R4adv aka Reon
04 950 Adventure
past bikes
04 950 Adventure 03 640 Adventure 99 XR400
R&R4adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #14
andrewrt
Adventurer
 
andrewrt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Port Moody, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
I am sure there are other ways but this is how I did it. The ParaBellum shield does are great job in not only deflecting wind but protection from other issues. The U-Clear works with my Samsung phone and GPS. If the U-clear runs down too much I just plug it in also. My $10 phone mount works perfect and is very water resistant.....lots of rain rides









Cheers Kag much appreciated, great info.
__________________
14 KTM1190 ADV R
06 HONDA CRF 250X
KTM 500EXC (on my wish list)
andrewrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #15
kurt1305
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by iq9 View Post
I just installed the brand-new 590LM onto the KTM GPS mount.

The unit fit onto the KTM GPS mount perfectly.

I wired it into the ACC2 connector under the power port (which you can fish out with your fingers). Everything works great. ACC2 is "switched", so the unit powers on when I turn the key, and goes into battery-mode when I turn off the key. I merely had to purchase some Male "AMP" connectors and a crimper (at Home Depot) for the GPS power cables, so they would plug into the KTM's connectors. Easy!

A great GPS paired with a phenomenal, off-road superbike. Love my new ride!

Let's go adventure touring!
Where did you hide that huge bundle of wires connected to the 590LM power cradle?
__________________
2014 R1200GS Adventure
kurt1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014