ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #1
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,108
Covered Cream (Frederick MD) Ice Creameries and Covered Bridges

Here's a nice Dual Sport Track. It starts in Frederick MD and heads North. You will drive through 3 wooden covered bridges (Thanks to Chisenhallw for the idea!)

Quote:
Northern Frederick County is home to three historic covered bridges. All three bridges are listed on the National Park Service’s National Register of Historic Places. The Utica Mills, Loy’s Station, and Roddy Road covered bridges all cross streams in northern Frederick County, within twelve miles of one another. ~ Historic Covered Bridges Driving Tour (http://www.fredericktourism.org/what...s-driving-tour
Then the track will head south bound covering 3 farms that churn their own ice cream. What a delight! If you do it during 2014, you should download and bring your Ice Cream Passport. Ensure you check the working hours (some are closed on Mondays). (Thanks to Lakota for the idea!)

Info on Ice Creamery Here: http://marylandsbest.net/marylands-b...e-cream-trail/

The Track: It is winding country roads. There is dirt (country road type), there is one water crossing. It has quite a lot tree coverage, so lends itself to nicely to a cool summer ride. I did it on a F650 with street tires. We had a K1600 which did all but the water crossing.

I fully intend to make a track to hit the other cluster of Ice Creameries. We learned there are 5 more covered bridges. So, we'll either align the track with those (if we can find them) or maybe with some lighthouses. In that case, it will be called "Lighted Cream"

Utica Mills

Probably the nicest structural design of the three bridges:

Not a covered bridge, but a fun one no less

Loys Station
This Bridge was the nicest of the three.
Lakota and Molly

A nice spot for lunch and dip your feet in the crystal clear stream

Roddy Road

How is the water so clear up here, and such a muck fest by the time it gets to the Potomac?

All Lakota wanted to know is when are we getting to the creamery!

Misty was by far the nicest of the 3 locations.

Goats!

Kidds

Ice Cream in a few years

The cuter the pony, the more evil they are. This one is probably one of the cutest I've seen. This one is even sneering at me!

Nice babbling brooke on the track

South Mountain is one is closest to a working farm. We showed up during milking hour. Most automated process

Rocky Point

Lisa wanted to buy this!

These wild flowers were in full bloom and everywhere today!

Sunflowers..

Attached Files
File Type: gpx CoveredCreamDS.gpx (284.0 KB, 35 views)

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,582
Quote:
We learned there are 5 more covered bridges.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

This sign on Roddy Ridge talks to the 5 other bridges

This indicates only 6 remain. I"ll need to look at digitizing this file...

http://www.mdcoveredbridges.com/exis...edbridges.html

Quote:

Northeast Maryland Driving Tour

From the south traveling north on I-95 (north of Baltimore City), or from the north traveling south on I-95 (south of Wilmington, Delaware)---follow signs to Exit 74, RT152 (Mountain Road). From the top of the I-95 exit ramp at Mountain Road, northbound travelers turn left, southbound travelers turn right. Proceed north on Mountain Road for 2.2 miles to Jerusalem Road and turn left. Continue on Jerusalem Road .6 mile to the stop sign, then proceed another .4 mile to Jericho Road and turn left. JERICHO BRIDGE is just ahead .2 mile. PARKING: Limited at the bridge. Advise parking at the Jerusalem Mill parking lot just past the intersection of Jerusalem and Jericho Roads. Walk 1/4 mile down to the bridge. PHOTO OPPORTUNITY: Excellent, but requires taking a short hike down to Little Gunpowder Falls. Side photos are limited from Jericho Road.

Turn around and go back to Jerusalem Road, make a right back to Mountain Road and another right to get back to I-95. At the intersection of I-95 and Mountain Road, take I-95 North and continue for 25 miles to Exit 100, Route 272. Stay left at the end of the exit ramp and turn left on to RT272 North. Travel 1.4 miles to GILPIN'S FALLS BRIDGE on your right (bypassed). PARKING: Ample parking on the shoulder of Route 272. PHOTO OPPORTUNITY: Excellent. Close up pictures and distant shots from all angles.

Continue on RT272 for 1.6 miles to Dr. Miller Road and turn right. Stay on Dr. Miller Road for 2.1 miles until it ends at RT273 (Telegraph Road) (unmarked) and turn right. Travel 5.2 miles to Entrance 3 Road at Fair Hill Natural Resources Area and make a right. (This road is the 3rd entrance road on the right .6 mile past the intersection of RT273 and RT213.) Go only about 80 yards to a stop sign at Ranger Skinner Road and turn left. Take Ranger Skinner Road .1 mile to a dead end at Training Center Road and turn left. Take Ranger Skinner Road .5 mile to Tawes Drive, turn right and travel 1.2 miles to FOXCATCHER FARMS BRIDGE. Bridge is closed to motor traffic. Only pedestrians, horses and cyclists allowed through bridge. PARKING: Plentiful. There is a parking area near the bridge. Portable toilet is available. PHOTO OPPORTUNITY: Excellent. MEMO: Bridge is equipped with Handicapped Access ramp for a close-up side view for Handicapped Visitors.

For travelers heading back to Baltimore/Washington: Reverse your directions to get back to I-95 South. Tawes Drive, left on Training Center Road, right on Ranger Skinner Road, right on Entrance 3 Road, left on RT273, left on Dr. Miller Road, left on RT272 to I-95 South.

For travelers heading north to Wilmington and Philadelphia you can follow the route detailed above but take I-95 North, not South. An alternate route would be to return to RT273 as directed above but make a right on RT273 instead of a left. Continue on RT273 for 3.9 miles to the Delaware State line where RT273 (Telegraph Road) becomes Nottingham Road. Stay on Nottingham Road for another 1.8 miles, bear right on to RT896 South and follow the signs to I-95 North.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:49 AM   #4
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,582
There's also this.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
CKutzGO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Thank you for this! I ride through Loys Station bridge fairly often on my way home from work. I live in Frederick, had no idea about the creameries. This will be fun!
CKutzGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:26 PM   #6
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Glad this inspired you to do your first post Always happy to share the tracks, and hope that maybe one day everyone will do the same.