Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #31
Dan Diego OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
O, Canada, you're just too beautiful. I am figuratively puking your beauty all over my bug-spattered boots. You make me want to relinquish my citizenship and adopt the metric system. And that's not just the Creemore Springs brew I had for breakfast talking. If you've ridden from Calgary to Banff you'll know what I'm talking aboot.

Glaciers, bears, bison, moose, brew...it's all there.

And, c'mon, seatec...humor me...

Triumph Rocket III Touring, KTM 990 ADV

Dan Diego screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 09:28 AM
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #32
konigralph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
A friend of mine rode his KLR650 from Central California to Prudhoe Bay a few years ago and had to surrender his bear spray at the Canadian Border. At least, that is what he told me.
The canadians love to take anything away... haha
No joke though, I had a buddy of mine who got busted trying to bring a tiny amount of POT in... gthey were extremely lenient and fair with him. I thought my buddy would get arrested or something but instead slap on the wrist
konigralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #33
Dan Diego OP
Studly Adventurer

So it's aboot friggin' time. I was starting to think all those "bear" stories were nothing but Canadian hookey.

So we come tearing through Jasper Nat'l Park and right by the sign that says, "NO STOPPING TO PHOTOGRAPH WILDLIFE" I see a bear.

(To be fair, the sign was in Canadian. And my Canadian is as bad as my French.)

My extensive knowledge of Bears in the wild tells me it was a Grizzly. That and the hump. And the Japanese tourist screaming, "Grizzly-San!"

True story:

Japanese tourist: Did you just take a "bear selfie?"

Me: I did!

JT: Will you take one of me?

Me: Uh, no. That's why it's called a selfie. C'mon, dude!

(The entire tour group laughed.)

OK, back to my local brew as we discuss (bear-free) campsites.

Dan Diego screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 09:30 AM
Old 07-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #34
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post
All good so far. Can't believe how low Canadian prices are! Gas is only $1.27 loonies a gallon (or however that metric stuff works out). And the speed limit is 110 MPH everywhere! Really enjoying it.
Quote:
(To be fair, the sign was in Canadian. And my Canadian is as bad as my French.)
Laugh out loud funny! Love your dry humor. Will enjoy this RR.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:54 AM   #35
Vacman
Some call me...Tim?

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Photos soon (help me out, SDAR peeps.)

I would happily cross post all your pics if you used a photo sharing site, but since you're uploading them to SDAR as attachments I would have to save all your pics to MY sharing site and then relink them all here. Why not just dump them all into photobucket?
Old 07-04-2014, 08:05 AM   #36
Dan Diego OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacman View Post
I would happily cross post all your pics if you used a photo sharing site, but since you're uploading them to SDAR as attachments I would have to save all your pics to MY sharing site and then relink them all here.
What's the value of friendship? If you do that, I will have Dan mow your lawn for a year.

BTW: A recent Pew survey found that friendship was actually valued at about a hundred bucks (Canadian).

Old 07-04-2014, 08:20 AM   #37
Dan Diego OP
Studly Adventurer

We did about 300 miles yesterday, from Jasper to Dawson Creek via highway 40 and Grande Cache, a cool little route through mountainous mining country. The sign stated, "See the scenic route to Alaska" but it's all been scenic! Saw some sheep along the way (Stone Sheep) but no other wildlife. Ain't he a purty one?

We saw quite a few of these guys:

We hit our first patch of rain leaving Grande Prairie; nothing major and a good opportunity to use our rain gear. Dan looked like a banana riding in that BMW rain slicker!

We are camping right near Mile 0 of the AlCan Highway. We'll be on it for quite a while.

Looks like Fort Nelson today and then on to Liard Hot Springs. And not a day too soon as it's shower time. (Don't say anything, but my riding partner is a wee ripe...)

As I was typing this, Dan says, "Hey, check out the moose!"

Sure enough, a big moose comes trotting by our camp.

Loving it.

Dan Diego screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 02:28 PM
Old 07-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #38
Dan Diego OP
Studly Adventurer

We did about a 300-mile ride today. Met some fine folks along the way--several of them motorcyclists--and saw a black bear up close.

We ended up stopping at a campground in Fort Nelson. Just so-so. The tent camping sites have been hit or miss.

The ride this far has been a teaching experience: a little cool weather, a little traffic, a little rain, a few mosquitoes and lots of interaction with locals and fellow travelers; perfect practice for farther north.

Gas is reaching the $6+ range. Aboot what we expected.

We were shooting for Watson Lake tomorrow (400 miles) but now think Liard Hot Springs (300 miles) is a better choice.

Was worried about losing one of my two deer whistles but a local guy said not to worry aboot it. Seems deer talk to one another and it only takes one whistle and the words spreads quickly. Who knew.

Bikes and riders are doing just peachy.

Dan Diego screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 09:37 AM
Old 07-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #39
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
Deer whistle

I'd bet the one you have left is clogged with bugs. Not that those things work.
I suppose it's like those bells the Hardly Ableson crowd have.

Enjoy the ride and thanks for the positive remarks about my part of the world.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #40
Dan Diego OP
Studly Adventurer

Enjoying interacting with locals and fellow riders/travelers. Had a fascinating conversation with a Tlingit gal.

(That's not purple, it's Bavarian Violet. The bike, not the gal...)

We're all going to the same places. Liard Hot Springs today. 300-mile rides. Just perfect.

Drizzling a bit today but it keeps the temperatures down.

Dan Diego screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 09:42 AM
Old 07-05-2014, 04:28 PM   #41
Dan Diego OP
Studly Adventurer

Short ride today through some stunning scenery.

Only made it to Liard River Provincial Park, where we will camp net the hot springs.

Only $24 for the both of us and that includes the campsite, hot springs and showers. We had a couple of fellow travelers join us and it turned into a much funner time.

NOTE: Liard Hot Springs is a DRY town. The nearest liquor is in Watson Lake. Think about it, boys.

There are several other motorcyclists who have been traveling along the same route. Looks like we're thinking the same.

Temps were between 54 and 62 degrees. Felt chilly but nice.

Dan Diego screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 09:43 AM
Old 07-06-2014, 01:10 PM   #42
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Quote:
Short ride today through some stunning scenery.

Only made it to Liard River Provincial Park, where we will camp net the hot springs. Only $24 for the both of us and that includes the campsite, hot springs and showers.

There are several other motorcyclists who have been traveling along the same route. Looks like we're thinking the same.

Temps were between 54 and 62 degrees. Felt chilly but nice.
It's hotter than hell here, I'm jealous.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #43
Dan Diego OP
Studly Adventurer

There are 2 kinds of adventure that I'm aware of, Danny boy; maybe 3. There's the routine, overused, "I got lost on the way to the supermarket" variety. Then there's "high adventure," where you find yourself in unexpected circumstances and get out with some scars and unbelievable stories.

So, what's the 3rd kind?

Misadventure, unfortunately. And for the record, we did NOT experience any misadventure this ride. Rare for me...

Anyhow, we left Liard Hot Springs and made Watson Lake quickly. We ate some Chinese food and skipped the sign forest to get on the Campbell Highway.

We were promised 355 miles of unimproved road, and that's what we got. We saw 7 bears in the first 40 miles then no other wildlife until we reached Carmacks. It was quite a ride, I'll tell you. We went into Ross River for gas--an 18-mile detour off the main road. Self-serve regular unleaded available 24/7 for only $7 a gallon.

There was some construction about 60 miles in and it was some fun stuff. The flagger--a cute native gal--told me that bikes had been dropping in the mud all day and that momentum was my friend. I said, "I thought safety was my friend." She said, "Not today. You leave safety right here. It's mud city from here on out. You'll need momentum and huevos. Can you handle that?" Dammit! I kinda liked that...

NOTE: They oughta have "Flag girls of Canadian Highways" calendar. I'd buy one.

We made Carmacks by 9pm and immediately pounded some Yukon gold brew.

We spoke to a fellow inmate, Eric Rennspies, who had just returned from the Dempster and Inuvik on his Gen 1 KLR. He provided lots of info and colorful stories. The guy has put some miles on his bikes. I wish you well, my friend.

There are some characters there about. It's mushroom gathering season and "they" are out.

Tough rules, too.

We went down the road and set up camp at about midnight on the Yukon River. OK little campground full of seasonal construction workers in 5th wheels and European canoers. All good folks.

We play drinking games with our fellow travelers: Use a cliche to describe Canada, take a drink.

Did you see the mountain over that lake? Spectacular.

TAKE A DRINK!

The wildlife alongside the road is just amazing.

DRINK!

I could play this game all day as the scenery is so amazingly beautiful.

I KNOW, I KNOW...

We left for Dawson City kind of late and arrived by 4pm.

We looked around town, crossed the river via the George Black ferry, crossed back and settled on the Goldrush Campbround due to the Wifi, laundry and showers. We'll head into town for chow...and Dan wants to try the Sour Toe. So nasty...

Tomorrow is a down day to prep and go over the bikes. I sure hope the good weather stays around.
More later, peeps.

Dan Diego screwed with this post 08-06-2014 at 09:39 AM
Old 07-09-2014, 08:21 PM   #44
Dan Diego OP
Studly Adventurer

Wink Dempster chronicles.

Holy cow, what a ride! We made Eagle Plains, midway between Dawson City and Inuvik after some hard traveling.

We departed at 10am under drizzly skies.

Bet you've never seen THIS photo before.

The Dempster Highway was fine for the first 100 km or so and I thought the entire ride would be a cakewalk.

Here's what it looks like when it behaves...

That changed as the wet road turned slick then muddy.

We had 12 miles of 2nd and 3rd gear fun through some soupy then thick mud. It never let up until we reached Eagle Plains.

We had considered just riding all the way up today--arriving by 9pm or so--but that plan went out the window.

Spoke with some riders who have been here since yesterday waiting out the weather. Their bikes are nice and shiny; ours are mud-caked and filthy (like our riding attire). We'll just see how it goes.

We used the lodge's hose to spray down our bikes and paid the $161 (plus $5 wi-fi fee) and settled in with the truckers and other riders waiting for the road to dry out.

Not a lot of traffic on the road thus far (230+ km) and only one bike passed us heading south. Word is that they air-vac'd a GS rider ahead of us. She had a tough time with the terrain and hit the ground hard. She was with two others. No other word.

All is good. Riders in good spirits, bikes purring along. Dan is doing a bang up job leading the pace. We averaged 50+ MPH until we hit the mud.

Dan Diego screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 02:14 PM
Old 07-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #45
Dan Diego OP
Studly Adventurer

We arrived.

Snapped a photo at the mandatory, "End of the Dempster" sign.

Then we had no less than 7 Molson Canadians with the locals.

Ate at the Roost Restaurant, stopped by to see the very cool igloo church, took some locals for a very fast ride (no photos, luckily) and set up camp at the Jak a territorial campground.

Snapped some wonderful photos of the town and the locals. That's Cornelius and his buddy. What stories...

Good times.

Dan Diego screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 10:24 AM