Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #61
Dan Diego OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afry View Post
If not too late stop at Chilkoot Charlie's (bar in Anchorage) - it's a crazy place from what I don't remember

2435 Spenard Rd
Anchorage, AK 99503
Now THAT sounds like a good breakfast plan!

(As I was typing this, the parking Po Po approached us to remind us that although Alaska was still somewhat of a Wild West state, Anchorage prefers that we don't park our big motorbikes on their sidewalks as we have coffee downtown.)

Doh!

Triumph Rocket III Touring, KTM 990 ADV
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #62
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Sounds like you're having a great time Dano!!
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:31 PM   #63
Dan Diego OP
Studly Adventurer

John Muir said that Alaska was a "gentle wilderness." But I've seen it harden people; locals and transplants alike. Must be the 8 months of winter?

We rode down the Kenai Peninsula to Seward, then over to Homer. I'd vistited both places years back and was still impressed with their beauty.

We saw some Dall Sheep up in the rocks, and stopped at a roadside pub where I sampled some fine tequila (Sparkle Donkey).

It was shortly afterward that I ran short of fuel for the first of 3 times; it was pure laziness, as I just passed on opportunities to fill up sometimes. Seward is funny; built on a long hill. As we left Mosse Jaw Junction (?), I coasted downhill for almost 3 miles (before a car pulled in front of me to "help"). Dan carried a 2 litre fuel bottle that I made frequent use of.

We rode down the Spit (long arm at the end of Homer) and camped right on the beach.

Free tent camping in several spots, a little more for showers, restrooms and Wifi.

We put our tents a stone's throw from the water's edge and ate some local halibut and drank some local brews.

It was still light out when we hit the sack at 10 pm but it was dark (finally) when I got up at 4 am. Homer has gotta be the most peaceful, least touristy place we've yet seen. Very nice.

We have a 600 mile ride to Tok planned for today. We've ridden 5600 miles from San Diego, with another 2800--minimum--to the US border at Sumas, WA. Add in Skagway and other detours and it may be closer to 3500.

Bikes doing well, riders in good spirits, weather cooperating. Heidenau tires showing little wear at almost 6k miles. I will put another K60 rear on in San Diego.

Dan Diego screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 01:20 PM
Old 07-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #64
Dan Diego OP
Studly Adventurer

Rode from Homer to Tok yesterday. The traffic up the Kenai was a bit tough--lots of passing RVs--but thinned out after Anchorage.

Was pleasantly surprised at the Palmer Highway, a route I hadn't read about. It was a nice stretch of road, boasting at least two glaciers.

We keep running into other riders as we criss-cross Alaska and Canada. At a roadside gas station, we once again bumped into a father/son duo from Brazil; they're riding old Yamaha thumpers and having a blast. They were heading to Valdez.

We reached the Thompson's Eagle Claw campground in Tok by 9:30 pm and talked with fellow riders until past midnight. Three riders on Tigers are heading to Deadhorse.

Dinner consisted of peanuts, beef jerky and muscle relaxers washed down with Bulleit bourbon. It is what it is.

Heading southeast today, trying to get as close to Watson Lake as we can. Whitehorse, 400 miles away, may be the stop for tonight.

Dan Diego screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 01:35 PM
Old 07-19-2014, 12:54 AM   #65
Dan Diego OP
Studly Adventurer

Note: This is gonna be a bad ass RR when I get back and edit it for grammar and add photos.

It was 80 miles to the Canadian border from Tok.

Once we crossed (Canadian customs is 20 miles in), the road construction began. And it lasted for 300 miles. We encountered torn up roads, pot-holed and frost-heaved asphalt, soupy mud and all sorts of gravel.

Routinely, without warning, the pavement would turn into a gravel or dirt road. Try going from 70+ MPH on blacktop to 4" of gravel. Yeah, it'll get your attention.

Sitting next to our bikes in Destruction Bay, I noticed oil pouring down my left brake caliper. Not brakes but a blown fork seal.

Could've been the mud, a hard hit, or a combo. The bike is handling well so I will look at it tomorrow.

Passed through some really pretty country. A couple more glaciers, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Weather has been nice. We hit a few patches of rain that felt good. Cooled us down, washed the bikes and removed some of the many, many bugs that have attached themselves to our bikes.

After a 400 mile ride, we arrived to Whitehorse, Yukon. We will take it a little easier tomorrow.

Found a nice campsite (Robert Service Campground) and set up tents and showered after local BBQ ribs and salmon.

I sure miss paying US prices. Gas, food, groceries --everything-- is more costly in Canada. Someone's gotta pay for the free health care.

Lastly, I've adjusted my chain twice. Unsure how much more it'll go. Only has 10-15k on it but it's stretched quite a bit. I may buy one tomorrow at Yukon Honda/KTM. I'll try not to wince...

Dan Diego screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 01:49 PM
Old 07-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #66
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Funny read. Enjoying it. I might have skipped over someone's pic suggestion but here you go (again?)
Photobucket. Real easy. Set it up. Upload you pics on your pooter. If you are dealing with slow service just do a few at a time. Then open the pic in Photobucket. Click on IMG and it will copy. Leave Photobucket open and go to your RR. Click paste below/behind your text and there ya go.
Now, CUMMON! Show us some pics.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:42 PM   #67
Dan Diego OP
Studly Adventurer

I am, admittedly, a total pooter loser. Am working on the photos now....

Nice, easy ride from Whitehorse to a roadside RV park (Nugget City Junction?) Right at the Highway 1/37 cutoff, 10 minutes west of Watson Lake.

The road was fairly unremarkable and offered the usual fabulous Yukon scenery. A good thing was no construction and a pretty fast road. Saw two bears along the way, a black and a brown.

This is where we begin our southward run...all the way to the US border at Sumas.

Note: I am now riding without any deer whistles as I lost the last one near Whitehorse. Though we've only seen one deer the entire 6800 mile ride, I am fairly certain that it was the whistles that kept the wildlife at bay. Before, when I had two mounted to my fender, the wildlife would scatter like Iwas asking to borrow money. Then, when I was down to one, they got a little cocky; a moose gave me the stinkeye near Dawson City. Now they walk right up to the road and glare at me with impunity. I have asked every roadside gas station if they offer said whistles, but no, there are none to be found. I am riding with zero protection now. (Well I do ride with bear spray in my non-throttle hand...) Wish me well.

We have a lot of miles to go and the only stop we are tentatively planning is Hyder. And that's up in the air. Any ideas for stops along the Cassiar?

Dan has been riding like a man on a mission; 75+ MPH all day. That would equal 2500 kilometers an hour, approximately. Because we're both lousy at math, we've been doing with the speed limit signs what the cannucks do with our dollar: 1 to 1 conversion. We all know that their dollar or "loonie" is worth 83 cents, but they make it easy on us by just making a one to one conversion. Very convenient. Some would call it theft. So what we do is just convert the road signs to American currency. For example, 90 KPH = an easy 90 MPH. Super convenient.*

Your whistleless sojourner.

Danny

Dan Diego screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 01:55 PM
Old 07-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #68
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
That's 93 not 83.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #69
Dan Diego OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
That's 93 not 83.
I know. Humour....

Old 07-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #70
Dan Diego OP
Studly Adventurer

So yesterday when we checked in, there was a small grizzly bear outside my tent. A fellow camper yelled to scare it away. Then the RV site manager was seen chasing him away.

They called a wildlife officer who fricking ended up shooting it. I am sad.

He was sniffing my tent while I was inside at 5:30pm writing my journal to stay away from the skeeters. Prolly smelled my funky riding attire; kinda like old beef jerky...

Another camper yelled to shoo him away and then reported him. The management ran him off before. Unfortunately, he marked himself as a nuisance bear and the wildlife officer shot him dead, I'm afraid.

He was a "nuisance bear" as he'd done the same before.

Dan Diego screwed with this post 07-30-2014 at 03:11 PM
Old 07-20-2014, 09:20 AM   #71
Dan Diego OP
Studly Adventurer

I will have to put together a montage of camping sites we used.

We paid anywhere between $14-$37 for the sites; that included tent camping. Sometimes there were restrooms, showers, wi-fi, laundry and other services.

We initially planned to camp twice and stay in a hotel for a night, then repeat. We enjoyed camping so much that we ended up staying in hotels only twice (at Eagle Plains on the Dempster and at the UA dorms in Fairbanks).

If you're considering camping for the majority of your ride, I would highly recommend it.

Highlights of camping areas include: Homer (on the spit), Tok (Thompson's Eagle Claw campground), and maybe Dawson City (Goldrush campground). We passed up quite a few spots--even when we were tired--because they just appeared to suck.

Only at one did we feel overcautious about theft (Robert Service campground in Whitehorse) and we never worried about bears.

Dan Diego screwed with this post 07-30-2014 at 03:17 PM
Old 07-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #72
OldSlowBaldGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post
So yesterday when we checked in, thre was a small grizzly bear outside my tent. A fellow camper yelled to scare it away. Prolly my funky riding attire he smelled; *Kinda like old beef jerky...

They fricking ended up shooting it. I am sad. He was sniffing my tent while I was inside at 5:30pm writing my journal to stay away from the skeeters. Another camper yelled to shoo him and then reported him. The management ran him off. He came back and a wildlife officer shot him. He's dead, I'm afraid.

He was a "nuisance bear" as he'd done the same before.

Yikes. I'd be more happy that there no one (including you) weren't hurt.
OldSlowBaldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #73
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post

The road was

We have a lot of miles to go and the only stop we are tentatively planning is Hyder. And that's up in the air. Any ideas for stops along the Cassiar?

Danny
When you get to Dease Lake take the road out to Telegraph Creek, I think you will find this road to be one of the highlights of your entire trip
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #74
slobinski
Inept adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Hyder

I was somewhat underwhelmed with Hyder in 2013, in fact I thought it had deteriorated into a squalid dump. The Sealaska bar was no longer serving food, so I had a late lunch at The Bus, which was as good as ever. Take the time to visit Salmon Glacier; that's worth the trip. Going to give Hyder a pass next time and visit Telegraph Creek instead.
slobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:43 PM   #75
coolmom1211
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Motorcycle

I had a dear friend die on a motorcyle at the age of 16. We were in high school.
I after all those years have not gotten on a motorbike.http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/bncry.gif
coolmom1211 is offline   Reply With Quote