User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2014, 08:35 AM   #16
Jeffrode OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Scooters Day3 Update

6/25/2014: Today we began in Fallon, NV and work our way across the desert floor and over some mountains towards our final destination Wells NV.

The morning started out bright and early leaving from Fallon at 6:45 since it was a long day ahead of us of some 397 miles. We started out on the loneliest road in America traveling across the desert.

This section was long and very flat but not as boring as you might think. It had some interesting scenery changes and even quite a few hills.

We had to work at having out scooters climb any and every hill along the day so, when there was a sign showing the pass we had to take a picture. There were a total of 9 passes so that shows that it isn't just a boring, flat old desert road. It had some nice scenery changes. The highest pass was at 7600 ft which is our new record for these little scooters and they just kept motoring along smoothly. We came to a couple old mining towns during the day.

These little old towns, such as Eureka, had just that great old time American mining vibe and just these very cool and authentic mining culture bestowed in them. We also went over the one of the famous trails that lead to the west.

Thats right the Pony Express Trail, we even found out that my dad could imitate a old cowboy. We continued on putting more and more miles under our belt until we had the first major failure.

Thats right we had a footpeg failure on the little 70. Okay, so it isn't as bad as you think just the little rubber cover came off. This was bad news for us though because we had to spend an hour looking back and forth on the highway for it.

We found it a 100 yard back from where we stopped and were able to hit the road again and motored on for our last 100 miles. This is also when we ran into our first rain of the trip. It happened to just be a little sprinkle and was a nice way to cool off.

411 Miles on Small Bikes WOW
Jeffrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #17
longrides1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
You guys are awesome, wish I had the time to do that with my son.

Kevin I don't think you need to worry about getting a ticket on those speed demons.
Ride Report
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1004437
longrides1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:35 PM   #18
Jeffrode OP
Adventurer

Day4 Update to Idaho

6/26/2014: Today we began in Wells, NV and were headed towards Rupert, ID.

The morning had a little bit of a late start due to the fact that we were up till midnight working on the bikes. We were able to fix the scooters problem it was just the belt. put the old belt back on the bike and it ran fine again. That is why you shouldn’t change parts on the bike dad. He has always said don't take apart more than you have to so we should have listened to his own advice.

Started out a little cold and looked as it was going to be a cold rainy day. We each started with just an sweatshirt and our klim jackets. As the day progressed the weather turn worse and worse mile by mile.

We finally reached the end of the Nevada and got to Idaho.

Yeaaa, we finally made it across the nevada deserts and the little scooters are making it closer to New York. Once we crossed the state line the weather was looking really bad so we decided to put on all of our rain gear; waterproof gloves, boot covers, rain pants, and our jackets. Then we motored on and in about 2 miles we reached the rain.

We keep on seeing the sun off in the distance and hoping that we were leaving the storm since we still had 80 miles to travel. We got really close 10 times and every time we were close my dad’s route decided to turn and head right back towards the center. For the next hour we battled the rain and the tractor trailers flying by us and blinding us with all the water they threw up. We even saw some lightning off in the distance. We got off the main highway and hit some of the back roads and then in typical roulette fashion we came to a dirt road.

Now it was interesting going down a dirt road covered with gravel and ruts as well as having mud laid over the top. The little scooter didn't really like it especially with its tiny 10in tires and the suspension being only springs. This reminded me of riding a mechanical bull just hang on and hope you stay one. We worked and worked and finally made it the 7 miles down the dirt road and reach the pavement. Since we were back on hard stable ground the rain now decided to stop and we continued into town. Today we battled the elements not the distances like the day before, traveling a total of 170 miles. Let hope that tomorrow is not the worst of both having 220 miles and looks like it is going to rain.

The Story of Jeffrey's Scooter

Old 06-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #19
Jasonjetski
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Iam in
Jasonjetski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #20
scrappyscooter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
In for the ride.
scrappyscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:22 PM   #21
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,588
That's some quality father/son time.

Wadda ya gunna do with those bikes once you're in NY?

...and where did you get the 70?

Be well out there!

Southern California from a scooter;
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941261
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:57 AM   #22
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,336
Good riding to yee.
Your dad told me about the scooter trip last year when he stayed here and he talked of you but never mentioned that you were doing it together. He is rightly proud of yourself (and your sis).

Quality time.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:21 AM   #23
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,729
I love my scooters but seeing America at 35 mph....my hat is off to you. Perhaps its time stop writing off Chinese clones? This is a great story.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:02 AM   #24
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,512

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:44 AM   #25
JT105
Ridin' the Desk

Oddometer: 8
Wow! This is fantastic.
I had a Honda CT70 when I was 15 and drove that thing everywhere (but no more than 50 miles from home). You guys have some guts.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #26
Jeffrode OP
Adventurer

Day 5 To Jackson WY

6/27/2014: Today

The day started out at a reasonable time since it was all going to be highway and only a little over 200 miles. As we were starting we were scared about what the weather would do throughout the day.

It looked like it might turn out nasty. We started with these great farm roads which show us small town America and where all of our food comes from.

We continued and wrapped along I-80 on a frontage road and next to this incredible. Had little showers in the morning but today we were headed for the sun not the rain.

We continued towards our first gas stop and in my dad’s typical fashion his route ended on being tougher than he thought. We ran into a gravel dirt road, it wasn’t too bad since it was fairly well maintained and only 5 miles long but the scooter doesn’t like any dirt at all.

By now the sky was turning awfully dark so we decided to just have a quick snack and skip lunch in order to beat the rain. We made it to another dirt road that we though was only dirt up through the canyon but 10 miles later decided that it must continue all the way to the next gas which was another 50 miles. We turned around and had to reroute but by now the storm caught up with us. For the next hour we battled our way out and finally made it to the clear. Good thing we made it out of there in time.

We had a long 40 mile to our next gas stop and then yet again we had to get ready for the rain to make the last 40 miles into Wyoming. Ten miles into the final section we had to stop at a construction zone and then somebody got out of the car behind us and wanted to talk to us about our journey. We then continued up the road another mile or two and decided that the rain was going to get worse so we were going to put more clothes on. The same couple stopped and offered us to stay at their house. We battled our way up the hill and into Wyoming.

Half way up the hill we entered Wyoming and had to have a quick stop and get a picture. We then continued up the mountain. This was our hardest climb yet, it was a 10-15% slope in the middle of the pouring down rain on the worst gas that they have had, 85 which was the only gas at the last stop, as well as being over 7000 ft. It was a long and hard climb we dropped down to 10-15 miles per hour and still we being passed by fully loaded semi’s. We finally made it to the top and there wasn’t even a summit sign. We dropped into town and got to stay at this amazing guest house right on the river. We went out for dinner and it is time to call it a day.

So we had a get dinner and it is time to hit the hay today was a long day covering 250 mile with 5 hours of that being in the nasty rain. Our rain clothes worked great and we stayed dry which made the whole lot more bearable. Tomorrow we are making the journey through Yellowstone and then staying at the other side so it should be scenic and slow moving mile perfect for the scooters.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #27
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 430
You guys must be in terrific shape.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #28
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
You be some tuf dudes! Total respect. In for the duration. Cheers!
Old 06-29-2014, 06:42 AM   #29
Jeffrode OP
Adventurer

Scooters Day6 Yellowstone

6/28/2014: Today we began in Jackson, WY and were to make the journey through Yellowstone to Cooke City, MT.

The morning started out bright and early in Jackson, WY in this beautiful cabin that we stayed in thanks to Guy and his wife. We were located right off of Fish Creek. It is amazing how much water was flowing through the river, coming from a Californian.

It was a damp and COLD morning we passed by the bank and their thermometer said 430. We started out with all of our cold weather gear since we knew it was going to be 50 miles of highway to the park. Got all ready and hit the road and traveled by this incredible antler statue.

Got a quick pick and then hit the road across the valley and towards Yellowstone. There were spectacular clouds that were forming in the mountain so we had to stop to warm up a bit and get a pic.

We just having a great morning so far, just a little cold for us on the scooters we are wanting a bike with some nice fearings like the Tenere. We continued on and with our luck the last couple day hit some more rain. There is nothing, nothing worse that 40Deg and raining.

So again we battled the rain but the cold is what really got to us. We had to stop and get hot chocolate in order to warm up and then we continued on our way to Yellowstone.

Decided we need a good father and son pic so we snapped this one and then continued on to Old Faithful. On the way we ran into some snow and it even resulted in getting the scooter stuck.

We continued on an by now the rain was nice enough to let off for a little while. We had a great lunch at the cafeteria and then we there at the perfect time. We were able to watch Old Faithful go off and it was just amazing how high the geiser go off.

We then continued on and crossed out highest peak and at the same time the continental divide. The scooters made it all the way up to 8400 ft in the cold, wet, and rain.

We continued on seeing some of the beautiful mountain countryside in North America. We also finally figured out why their rivers are so full and their forests are so green. It is because of all of the rain that we keep getting dumped on us. In the park we ran across 2 moose and a ton of buffalo. It is great seeing them come back.

If you look closely there is a whole herd of buffalo on the hillside. There were just specular views of the entire forest. This just shows one of the amazing valleys in the park. So we finished off our day and ended in Cooke City, MT. tonight we also finally changed the rear tire of the scooter. It was a fairly long day with 215 miles traveled and many hours of rain mixed throughout the day. It ended with a nice dinner at the Beartooth Cafe, just a great way to experience Yellowstone at 35mph.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:04 AM   #30
bigblockbarry
Random Misfire

Oddometer: 39
In! I'm not missing this ride.

Thomas Jefferson
bigblockbarry is offline   Reply With Quote