User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2014, 06:11 AM   #31
Jeffrode OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Day 7 Bear Tooth Highway

6/29/2014: Today we began in Cooke City, MT and was to go over the beartooth highway and end in Sheridan, WY.

Today we decided to start a little bit later due to the fact that the previous morning was really cold so we did not set off until 8am. The route started with a few miles of this neat back highway leaving town. We saw a couple deer and even bambie crossing the road.

Then we worked our way across the valley and headed up for the morning climb. There were astonishing view that lied ahead throughout the day but first we had to go up and up and up, without balloons though. This marked the start of the beartooth highway.

By now we had slowly climbed our way up to around 7000 feet. It was also quite chilly had to be in the low 30s. We continued on our way climbing up the mountain we ran into some incredible waterfalls and lookout spots along the road.

Keep going full throttle at 20 mph seeing all of the extraordinary view of the mountains and valleys below. We also had started to work our way up to all that rain from the previous day that was littered along the sides of the road.

We made it across the snow covered valleys and up to the summit some how. At the top we reached 11000 ft a new record for the scooter, they didn't really like it either. The temperature had also dropped and the wind had picked up which made it way colder. At the peak it was in the low 20 or high teens and with 25 mph wind gusts. It made it for a COLD ride even at 20 mph. At the top they were running a ski lift and the were skiers going down the mountain, kinda weird to see at the end of June.

We now worked our way down off the mountain and were able to warm up and stop at our first gas stop. We had an uneventful ride across the valley towards our lunch stop. Had a quick bite to eat and they headed back up into the mountains.

This was another challenging climbs for these mini bikes in went up 3,600 ft in 10 miles A very steep climb going up to 9,400ft another high pass for the scooters.

Went down the mountain and then hit a dirt road for a while. This was one of the best maintained dirt roads that i have ever been on just perfect. We ran into a buck of cows and even some longhorns. Had to stop and ask if he wanted to donate them to the scooter and snap a picture.

The day had lead us back and forth between Wyoming and Montana several time so we ended up with a variety of entrance signs to each state. This was a reasonable day with about 240 miles traveled and A lot of good times ranging from the 11,000 ft peaks to the 3,500 ft valleys and everywhere in between. We finally got a day without rain and just had an enjoyable experience and the new tire on the 70 works great. We were wishing for the heated grips and jacket in the morning. We we ended up in Sheridan and got to blend in with the local harley crowd.

Jeffrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:59 AM   #32
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,718
Really great stuff--enjoying it all.
I feel so silly----since I've been riding a big 250 all over the place
I don't need that great big thing !!!!!

Thanks for this !!
BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:27 AM   #33
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 394
Mini-bikes across the Beartooth.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:08 AM   #34
Bluebone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
Epic trip. This can only get better. Should be interesting when you start getting into higher traffic areas.

Alcohol Cuz no great story ever started with a salad!!
Bluebone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #35
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,001
awesome ride! I did Beartooth and Yellowstone in July 2010. You are right, it was cold there! Yellowstone is like a giant refrigerator.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:54 AM   #36
NJDRT-RDR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
In

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The michigan Trail Safari
http://home.comcast.net/~drt-rdr/trailsafari.txt
NJDRT-RDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:41 AM   #37
SQ Beemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Awesome! I am so in on this trip.

The long and flat stuff must be so boring!
SQ Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:14 PM   #38
rascalman
GhostRider

Oddometer: 307
I'm in !!
Old 06-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #39
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,498
I'm liking this. Cool trip.
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:26 AM   #40
longrides1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
You guys must have long attention spans!

I was riding on fresh chip seal road yesterday doing 25-30 mph and thought about your trip and the time it will take.
Ride Report
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1004437
longrides1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:59 AM   #41
Jeffrode OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Day8 Sturgis SD, meet the Harleys

6/30/2014: Today we began in Sheridan, WY and worked our way across Wyoming and towards “biker heaven” aka Sturgis, SD.

The morning started out just perfect weather with the sun out and wasn't too cold or windy just a slight breeze. Rode out of town and on some back farm roads. We even ran into a pack of chickens and boy were the rowdy, fighting chickens.

Okay, maybe they are rosters. There were lots of other figurines which was really neat. Next we continued on across the farmland and had to reroute due to another dirt road. Wish we had our wr’s with us would have been a lot of fun on the dirt. As we were going along today we ran into some deer.

We ran into a mom with her to little ones off to the side of road got a pic and headed on. Throughout the day we ran into more and more deer, last one that i counter was 49. That is a ton and 15 of them were all within 3 miles. Have to pay attention so you don't run into one. My dad paced one and figured out that a deer is as fast as a scooter. We continued on and ran into a construction zone.

In the middle of farmville, Wyoming we ran into traffic, is this the city or something? We waited for 20 min and then work our way following the pilot car. There were quite the ruts from previous cars which made it a little bit difficult for the scooter. Worked towards our lunch stop and had a quick bite to eat and headed out to catch the tail wind towards Sturgis.

Next we worked our way through some of the town and got gas. Passed by a bunch of trains and railway yards. Then we found a huge mining operation and figured out what all of the trains were therefor.

We continued on and then the road turned and we had to fight a head wind for the next hour, it also dropped the scooter speed down to 20 mph. It felt like we were barely moving and not getting any closer to Sturgis. We finally got there and the wild Ct70 had to get a picture by the sign.

Continued into town and were embraced with harley culture. The town is scattered with it and everything is biker this or biker that. We stopped in to the harley dealership and they all got a laugh about what we were doing but, really there were jealous.

That was it for the day we covered 230 miles mostly through farmland however it wasn't all that boring because there were rolling hills. Tomorrow we are headed to Interior, SD. Feels like we are almost home to SD.

Jeffrode screwed with this post 07-02-2014 at 04:44 AM
Jeffrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:03 PM   #42
ScottFla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Awesome RR!
ScottFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #43
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 394
How are those little scooter tires holding up?
Old 07-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #44
Ol Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Great father/son adventure.
Ol Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #45
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
Thumb

Great Job guys! My son and I have been planning to do this for a while. Maybe next year.