Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #61
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrode View Post
Turns out they are holding up great, we have logged about 3k miles and this is the only issue. We put a new drive belt on just before starting the ride. And brought the old one with us. The new belt made a vibration in the scooter. So we put the old belt back on and the vibration is fixed. But after putting the old belt back on this starting noise started. ??? Could the old belt be squealing when stating? We can hope to get a new good belt in 3 days in Chicago.
Sounds more like a screeching belt than a bendix to me. Is the belt tension adjustable? Of course, it should not be a toothed belt... right? Otherwise it won't slip... unless it is really worn.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:08 PM   #62
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Sounds more like a screeching belt than a bendix to me. Is the belt tension adjustable? Of course, it should not be a toothed belt... right? Otherwise it won't slip... unless it is really worn.
good idea.. maybe he got oil on it when he changed the oil?

Please let us know the outcome... Happy Safe riding!
Old 07-02-2014, 08:41 PM   #63
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,294
Subscribed! Sounds like the bendix is sticking AFTER the engine starts, like it's not retracting. Not familiar with scooters. Check the belt first though. You may have to remove the starter and see if there is crud causing it to stick. Good luck.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #64
raiderone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Awesome ride fellas. Just goes to show you don't need a $20,000.00 bike to have an adventure.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #65
Jeffrode OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Scooters Day11 Plains of Dakota

7/2/2014: Today we had a late start leaving Interior, SD and the goal was to travel across the farmlands and indian reservation to Yankton,SD.

Yesterday was the tuned up the scooters by doing an oil change and tightening the chain on the Ct70. We then went out to dinner and came back and went to bed. So this morning we get ready to leave and my dad notices that his axle nut is missing. What are we going to do? We don’t have a spare one of those and Steve isn’t here to help us. We searched around town asking everyone and finally get to the town mechanic and finds a nut. So because of all this we got a late start. We started by finishing our way through some of the Badlands.

Saw a few more spectacular hills and then we started our way through the indian reservation and the farmlands. There were lots of hay bales and even some chicken coops.

Ran into a small chicken farm, well it wasn't that small there were like 15 buildings. It looked like it was abandoned which makes sense since there was not a horrific smell. We continued on the boring flat farm roads but, we found a couple of hills after our first gas.

It was really nice having a change for a couple of miles and having some turns again and some hills. We worked through the hills for 15 min or so and then were back to the plains. We ran into an enormous amount of cattle throughout the day.

There were tons of them and they were all standing there in a big group. Temple Grandin could have told me why they were all together, but hey we are on an adventure of our own. We continued on and reach our third time zone just one left.

We made it just a little further to NY. We have made it most of the way across so far and the 100 dollars scooter is still working even though it makes a nasty sound when it is starting. We also passed over the Missouri river today as well.

We made it across our first major river just the Mississippi left and then we are on the home stretch. We worked our way into town and had our final gas stop. Then we decided that we needed a ice cream break before we finished our last 100 miles. Sitting there drinking our milkshakes we were trying to figure out why the phone says phone from car?

Anyways we continued on and finished our last 100 miles and made it town Yankton, SD. today was a long day leaving a little after 8am and not getting in till 8pm, that was a full 12 hour day for us. We cover 320 miles today making it one of our longest days. We both wish that tomorrow was going to be a short day but, it should be another 300 mile day and hopefully it is full of clear sky’s again.

Sidebar: Scooter Noise update: Thanks for all the help and advise, we see the prevailing thoughts is that it is the starter. But we think that it is the warn out belt and we are hopping to get on in Chicago in two days. So other then the noise it is starting just fine and we will just hope to continue.

Jeffrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:20 AM   #66
mtnman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
I'm thinking "Phone from car" means you can pull up and use the phone without getting out of your car. It's kind of like a drive through ATM.

Enjoying reading your adventure and following your Breadcrumbs.

My 60 year old wife who has never driven a motorbike has actually expressed interest in next year's trip. Time will tell. I certainly enjoyed your Canadian Railtrail trip!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:45 AM   #67
tortoise2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
What is your engine oil preference brand and weight for both the 125 and 150?
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #68
rascalman
GhostRider

Oddometer: 323
Laugh

The way it was

Old 07-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #69
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

what about the strange noise?
Old 07-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #70
b4thenite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Great report. Thanks for sharing.
b4thenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #71
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,460
Laugh

Epic Adventure
Old 07-04-2014, 05:14 AM   #72
Jeffrode OP
Adventurer

SAA Iowa Corny

7/3/2014: Today we had a late start leaving Yankton,SD and were working our way across the farmlands to Marshalltown, IA.

We had a late start since we got in late the night before and that we didn’t really get used to the central time zone yet. So we left Yankton and headed out across the plains. The weather was looking like it was going to be perfect. We finished off South Dakota early and entered Iowa.

We continued on through the farms and watching all the small town living. We ran into someone who hit a deer. They told us that their car was white underneath. Glad that i don't have to clean that up, doesn't sound like fun to me.

Okay this guy had to be a character with a car set up in his front yard with a deer coming out of it. Wish we could have talked to him and figured out why he put that up in his front yard. We continued on through the farms and my dad decided to stop and talk to the cows. I guess he is a scary guy.

They all ran from the fence and across the river. I like to think that it is that they were scared of the Ct70’s power. We also found out that the scooter catches all of the buzz from the locals. I ran into quite a few bee’s throughout the day and 2 of them ended up getting me. One got my through the jeans and the other got trapped in between my jacket caller and my helmet. I now have to enormous lumps thanks to the bee’s. If that isn't enough I had to battle with thousands of their cousins every time I stopped. There are so many bugs here but, it still isn’t quite as bad as the level of mosquitoes in B.C. I would have to be a native in order to survive here. We also ran into one of the most well known natives in history.

We didn’t really see Pocahontas but i was surprised that there is a town named after her and had to take a picture. By now we have covered 170 miles or so and we getting anxious to get to our destination especially because of the boring farm roads. The only way to judge how bored you were was by the number of songs that you can make up in you head throughout the day. We finally ran into something that cause me to enjoy the roads again, hills.

It was great having a change and not continuously seeing the CORN,CORN,CORN. We ran across some nice curves and hills however the scooters were not that thrilled about the hills. We continued on and got closer and closer than we began seeing lot of trees knocked over and buildings flattened.

There was even a barn that had its side ripped off. There must have been quite the storm that passed through here recently glad I wasn’t here. We continued into town and made it to Marshalltown and we got back onto the famous Lincoln Highway.

We made it to our destination for the day and were glad and wanted to get some quick food and then go and relax. We stopped by a chinese restaurant on our way into town and then found a hotel and called it a night. Today was a long day taking 10hr and covering right around 300 miles. The scooters are still doing great I am just wondering how happy they will be at the end of the trip. Tomorrow’s goal is to cross the Mississippi river and make it to Chicago.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:16 AM   #73
Jeffrode OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise2 View Post
What is your engine oil preference brand and weight for both the 125 and 150?
WE are using standard 10-40 Pennzoil, I don't believe in good stuff for bikes with oil clutches.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:18 AM   #74
Jeffrode OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun View Post
what about the strange noise?
Still making the noise when we start it. So we start it in the morning and don't shut it off all day
Old 07-04-2014, 05:59 AM   #75
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrode View Post
Still making the noise when we start it. So we start it in the morning and don't shut it off all day
In one of your other posts you mention that you wonder how the machines will "fair". Seems to me they should be good for that distance..... some ~2900 miles. I guess it depends on how many miles they had on them from the start & how well they have been maintained.
Asking for directions in the past has been an interesting activity. Not to many people give directions well. I bet you guys are having fun.

BTW... I just remembered.... I had that same basic engine in a quad-runner. I used that engine ( among others) to test out RP, amsoil, mobil ! castor oil etc. That little Honda sure did run good and cooler on the Royal purple 20w50. I also set the valves on the loose side (~ .001 more)... the engine responded well to that as well..... jus sayin'

Racegun screwed with this post 07-04-2014 at 08:52 PM
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote