Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2014, 07:11 AM   #76
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrode View Post
WE are using standard 10-40 Pennzoil, I don't believe in good stuff for bikes with oil clutches.
For what it's worth . . Sym Symba oil related comment, which has an engine similar to the 125 (CT70 clone):
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
The owners manual says oil change intervals are 1000kilometers so every 600miles. I don't have time to do it every 600miles that means every other day on this trip. I extend it to 1000miles so about every third day. SYM says use 10w-40 but that is what the bike is design for, around town riding. The bike was never ment to be a cross country cruiser or go near WOT for 12+ hours a day. Now I know why harleys use 20w-50, air cool engines just get HOT. When oil is new I can't tell the difference but after about 300miles I can tell the difference between 10w40 and 20w50.
20w50 would also be suitable for the "extreme use" the GY6 150 is experiencing.

You already know the most important aspect of enhancing the longevity odds for these engines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrode View Post
will not go the distance if we run them wide open
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #77
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Epic adventure! Hope you get into Chicago safely. Glad you're hitting it on a holiday....

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #78
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Awesome!

What a great true adventure for sure. You two have the right idea about how to go about it in style! Very interesting indeed. Thanks much!

Gary
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #79
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,181
I'm rooting for you guys and posted your RR in Battle Scooters since Chinese scooters topic shows up often there.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #80
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,237
Checking In

I had to check in on you guys today. Keep chugging along and thanks for all the photos and videos.

It's great listening to the people when you are asking for directions. The younger guy and the old man were not very helpful but entertaining for us to watch.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #81
outfit
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Great ride report.Good luck & have a safe journey.
outfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #82
Truetorch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I keep checking back on your posts. Ballzy riding across country on small bikes. Dont get me wrong i love anything with a throttle and this is an adventure of epic proportions doing it on little bikes, And with your son to boot. Best of luck and enjoy the ride. I sure am reading about it. Thanks.
JOhn
Truetorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #83
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,817
I'm in on this one. You guys are absolutely awesome. Both the ride and the ride report. I'm not familiar with the GY6 engine in the blue scooter, but millions of people know it in and out and upside down, so someone out there knows what the problem is. I suggest asking on the battlescooters section of advrider.com, or http://itistheride.boards.net/, a mostly Chinese scooter forum. You are definitely doing the right thing staying up north. About the time you started, I was coming right down through the middle of Nevada from Idaho, on 93S, it was HOT, extremely windy, and dusty. No clouds in site. You could see Las Vegas in the distance, it was almost totally covered in dust. It was so windy it was blowing highway signs down. Highway 93 is also a very lonely road, the most barren and desolate place I've ever seen. Hundreds of miles of absolutely nothing.

Anyway, best of luck with your trip. Hard to believe anybody would try to ride across the country on Chinese scooters, especially one bought for $100. Your ride is truly inspirational. Makes me want to try it. It removes one of the worries from cross country travel. If the scooter does have a major breakdown, you don't have to be concerned about how to get it home. Do you plan to ride back, or leave the scooters in NY and take another way back?
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:26 AM   #84
Jeffrode OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Day 12 to Chicago

7/4/2014: Today we left Marshalltown, IA and were headed across the farmlands and little farming towns on our way to Chicago,IL.

We left at our normal time right around 7:45 and were headed east towards chicago. We were to cross the famous Mississippi river on our way. The morning had perfect weather with us just wearing a light windbreaker. We worked our way through the town’s city streets and then got on to the back highways. Leaving town we ran into a couple road closed signs due to flooding so we decided to take a look.

After we saw that there wasn’t flooding on the roads we worked our way around. After looking for a while we decided the right option was to figure out how to work around the trucks since the flooding had receded.

After getting through the road closed section we continued along our tracks. Went up over some hills and across the plains. Saw a buck of farmland that was still underwater and their crops were not able to grow. There were several driveways leading off the road that were completely underwater and the owners could get to their house and they were probably destroyed by the water. There was only one house that we could see from the road and it was just barely in the water.

Again we continued on and then passed by a park that had been flooded and I never thought it would be so easy to dunk a basketball. I am pretty sure anyone could as long as they could swim.

There was quite a bit of flooding throughout the eastern parts of Iowa. Every river was extremely full and could not get rid of the water fast enough. I bet they were wishing the rain would stop even more than us Californians riding little scooters through the area. I just can’t help but think why did they build their homes on such low lands that flood so easily? Why didn’t they at least build a mound of dirt and then build their homes on top? Here is a picture to show how flooded the rivers are this year.

That tree is not supposed to be under water at all and the is quite a way up the trunk. Hopefully the water recedes soon for these poor folk. Traveling throughout the day we ran into numerous town having a little fourth of July celebrations. We drove by many groups of people having little parties on their front lawn. Every house was hanging an american flag. It was just great to see how patriotic the small towns are still. we even drove by a house with a bunch of college students partying and hanging out on the roof. They all had closed a couple of the main streets for their celebrations making us have to reroute.

Here is one of the great historic little towns. Being the 4th made it really hard for us to find a place to get lunch. But after a while we stopped and grabbed a bit. Then we continued on and crossed the infamous Mississippi river.

We have made it across the river now only having the Ohio river left. I feel like the Mississippi means that we are basically on the east coast with only 4 days left till we are in New York. Okay there is still a ton of miles left but it feels like we are close now. Crossing the Mississippi also marks us entering Illinois.

Continued across the farm lands, looking at more corn and made our way to Chicago. We got into town and realized again why we like the little back towns, no traffic. We got to our hotel and grabbed some really good Pakistani and Indian food. Had a great dinner and watched the fireworks. A great way to end our day. Today 297 miles were traveled and we made it to Chicago. Our next big city is New York. Our scooters are still running and taking us the miles with easy. The scooter is still making its starting noise but not as often. Everything is working great just a few miles left.
Jeffrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:38 AM   #85
Jeffrode OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Scooter Ride on Hold

7/5/2014: Sad News, The ride is on hold for us. We have just learned that my wife's Father has died. The funeral will be here in Chicago next Wednesday. So We will be here in Chicago to help support the family. Maybe we can get back to the ride starting Thursday 7/10, but for now we don't really know what will come. Thanks for your support gpsKevin and Jeffrey
Jeffrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #86
ob1quixote
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
I am sorry such a sad event has happened in the middle of your epic ride.

My condolences...
ob1quixote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #87
mikeprod92211
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 589
Re Unplanned stop in Chicago

Godspeed to the departed.
Make sure to sample some of Chicago culinary specialties.
Giordano's, Uno's...... etc....
Great trip.... trying to get my son to do same!
Old 07-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #88
MassiveLee
It's a small world

Oddometer: 791
Who needs a $20k R1200GS to cross the continent when it can be done with great fun on a CT70? Definitely a great picture. Reminds me of that movie "The straight story" when an old guy rides 500 miles on a lawn mower to visit his brother...

-- Stolen
1990 Honda CBR1000F (the love of my life) -- Sold when son was born
2001 BMW K1200RS aka Good Girl -- Current + 2006 BMW R1150GSA aka Kim Kardashian -- Current
MassiveLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #89
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,181
Sorry for your loss. Your ride can wait family first. Since you'll be in Chicago maybe stop by this for some good eating?

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Taste_of_Chi...=2800&qsrc=999

Also, if you've never been, this is a wonderful museum and we could not see everything in a day.

http://www.msichicago.org/

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #90
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveLee View Post
Reminds me of that movie "The straight story" when an old guy rides 500 miles on a lawn mower to visit his brother...
Very good movie, made more poignant by the fact that Richard Farnsworth, who played the main character in the film riding the lawnmower to get to his brother to reconcile their relationship, was terminally ill with bone cancer during the filming. He committed suicide a year later.

On the subject of small bikes and epic trips, let's not forget Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance where Robert Pirsig rides two-up with his son (and camping gear) across the country on a Honda 305 Superhawk.

Guys, take care of your family and get back to your trip when you can.... we'll still be here.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote