ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Multiple choice, choose as many as applicable:
Why aren't we doing this now 11 20.75%
July 10 18.87%
Aug 18 33.96%
Sept 19 35.85%
Whenever 25 47.17%
Hotel 8 15.09%
Cabin 11 20.75%
Campground 29 54.72%
Dispersed camping 31 58.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #136
Gebogen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Helo

Which Helo do you fly? Is it still H-1 and H-40?
Old 07-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #137
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,203
Kimberly and I will arrive Friday night about 8:30pm.

We are assuming no fires, so we will bring the little Esbit stove for coffee and maybe some light cooking. I'm totally up for Spam, but Kimberly is definitely not. Have you ever made Hawaiian style Musubi? They take a cube of sticky rice, lay a slice of fried spam on top, then wrap it with a sheet of seaweed. I really like it, and Kimberly just sits there curling her nose at me.

We could also eat at the Dinkey store or somewhere in Shaver Lake while out and about, so that full meals in camp would not be critical. I know I'll want to make a trip to the store for beer Saturday afternoon. I can carry quite a bit after I unload the camping gear, so I could take orders for other people as well.

Water: I have a Katydine Base Camp water filter. Its perfect for something like this, because you can fill the 3/4 gallon bladder with nasty water, and hang it from a tree. There is a little valve at the bottom of the hose that allows you to dispense clean tasteless water as needed.

Riding: I've been on some gnarly stuff on small dual sports, but I'm probably in the noob category riding off road on the big bike. Kimberly is probably the same. Shesaid's route sounds good to me. I haven't been to that area for a long time, so I'm up for suggestions.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #138
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebogen View Post
Which Helo do you fly? Is it still H-1 and H-40?
I don't fly them, I fix them. I was the supervisor on H1 and am now the mechanic for H40.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #139
piedralone
SoilSampleCollecter

Oddometer: 162
They are black and don't make sound in stealth mode.
piedralone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:04 PM   #140
Gebogen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Mutsubi

I boil rice like a madman and have nori in the pantry. You don't have to fry the spam, and just about any kind of beer goes with it. Sounds like a campground winner for sure. If you wanted to go with an appropriate dessert, Sam Adams Boston Lager brings out the sweet, sugary, goodness of a Twinkie like no other.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:35 AM   #141
TonyLoco24
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I was hoping to get in on this ride earlier, however once the date got locked in, realized this one wasn't going to work schedule-wise. This sounds like an outstanding group though so please keep those of us who can't make this round in the loop for next time. Have a blast.
TonyLoco24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #142
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebogen View Post
1. Where does the helicopter land to bring us the case of wine and the bar b que?
2. Did you sign us up for a T-time or do we have to make the arrangements ourselves?
3. Who is organizing the masseuse?

Seriously,
I have a jetboil and I may have an extra backpacking stove, and I'll bring my collapsible 2.5 gal water jugs. Are they reporting any bear issues up there?
No specific bear warnings. As always, it is the Sierras, bear as always possible, but we've been coming up here for years and never had any problems in this area, or even seen a bear, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Kimberly and I will arrive Friday night about 8:30pm.

We are assuming no fires, so we will bring the little Esbit stove for coffee and maybe some light cooking. I'm totally up for Spam, but Kimberly is definitely not. Have you ever made Hawaiian style Musubi? They take a cube of sticky rice, lay a slice of fried spam on top, then wrap it with a sheet of seaweed. I really like it, and Kimberly just sits there curling her nose at me.

We could also eat at the Dinkey store or somewhere in Shaver Lake while out and about, so that full meals in camp would not be critical. I know I'll want to make a trip to the store for beer Saturday afternoon. I can carry quite a bit after I unload the camping gear, so I could take orders for other people as well.

Water: I have a Katydine Base Camp water filter. Its perfect for something like this, because you can fill the 3/4 gallon bladder with nasty water, and hang it from a tree. There is a little valve at the bottom of the hose that allows you to dispense clean tasteless water as needed.

Riding: I've been on some gnarly stuff on small dual sports, but I'm probably in the noob category riding off road on the big bike. Kimberly is probably the same. Shesaid's route sounds good to me. I haven't been to that area for a long time, so I'm up for suggestions.
So what you're saying is Kimberly and I should talk menus while you and Shesaid share Spam recipes? I think a split between camp cooking and Shaver dining sounds perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
I don't fly them, I fix them. I was the supervisor on H1 and am now the mechanic for H40.
Ok, so you don't fly them? Good. That means it wasn't you who got to watch me flub a turn outside of Shaver a few weeks ago... Decreasing radius and someone paying too much attention to a helicopter circling directly overhead... Might have danced on the yellow line...

I've got the main computer back up and running, and was able to save most of our data. I don't like Garmin's Basecamp software any more now than I did before, but I'm working on it. I think I edited a track to just show Shesaid's loop, and waypoints along the way. And I think I saved it. Now I'm going to see if I can attach it. If this all works, some of you want to take a look and see how it works and/or what it does for you? If it's useful, I can make more. You can either use Garmin's (free) Basecamp or Google Earth to view a GPX file. Let me know what you think.

MV
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Noob trip.gpx (528.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 07-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #143
01001010 01000011
AKA-JC

Oddometer: 322
Musubi -Love it, yum! fry the spam with a bit of teriyaki sauce, yummer.
01001010 01000011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:06 PM   #144
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

By the way, Gebogen, 01001010 01000011, are you guys in? Should I add you names to the first page list?

I don't think my "attachment" worked. Someone else want to tell me what they get? All I get is a .php file. I'm reading up on how to do this now. Possibly only allowed in the GPS forum? I'll figure something out and keep you posted.

MV
Old 07-19-2014, 05:22 PM   #145
01001010 01000011
AKA-JC

Oddometer: 322
Yes please I'm in. My works hours just changed so I will not get out of St. Helena until 5:30pm. If I am lucky I will arrive by 10pm.
Hope you leave the light on.
01001010 01000011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #146
ADV_Riz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01001010 01000011 View Post
Yes please I'm in. My works hours just changed so I will not get out of St. Helena until 5:30pm. If I am lucky I will arrive by 10pm.
Bummer dude :/

The artist formerly known as adrisley.
ADV_Riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:00 AM   #147
GoSpeed
'getting there

Oddometer: 57
In.

Bike is KTM 690.
I'm a Vet class rider.
Tent camping works for me.
I plan to get there Friday evening.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #148
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01001010 01000011 View Post
Bummer about having to work all day. Sometimes I think employers don't quite understand motorcycles. I mean, if you compare these things to kids, do you have any idea how much time I'm not taking off to deal with a sick kid, or go to a parent teacher conference, of attend a play? I should get like, every other Friday afternoon off with pay!

I'll try to leave a light on, but no guarantees on getting Tom Bodet. Not sure I can book talent like that on such short notice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSpeed View Post
In.

Bike is KTM 690.
I'm a Vet class rider.
Tent camping works for me.
I plan to get there Friday evening.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Alright, sounds good. Seems like quite a few people will be arriving Friday evening.

I'll let this post serve as a bump to let folks know I've edited the first post again, adding the GPX file that does seem like it is working, though if anyone wants to confirm that, I'd sure appreciate it. I plan on adding another after we pre-run some of the other areas in a few weeks. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. If I'm overlooking something, let me know.

MV
Old 07-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #149
paredaks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post

I'll let this post serve as a bump to let folks know I've edited the first post again, adding the GPX file that does seem like it is working, though if anyone wants to confirm that, I'd sure appreciate it. I plan on adding another after we pre-run some of the other areas in a few weeks. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. If I'm overlooking something, let me know.

MV
Yup, GPX file works just fine. Garmin Basecamp, stellar app that it is , manages to import and let you convert it to a route just fine. I'm assuming that Camp Bald (route pt 1) is our camp site?

I'll be coming up Friday afternoon/early evening on a new-to-me Tiger 800XC with few dirt miles under my belt. Accomplished street rider, but off road is a new world.

And yes, paredaks is my new name. t-awesome was an old handle I retired...

paredaks screwed with this post 07-23-2014 at 11:32 AM
paredaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:12 PM   #150
Thebrassnuckles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Hey, can I come too?

I'm pretty new to riding and I have an old KTM 400.
Thebrassnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote