ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Multiple choice, choose as many as applicable:
Why aren't we doing this now 11 20.75%
July 10 18.87%
Aug 18 33.96%
Sept 19 35.85%
Whenever 25 47.17%
Hotel 8 15.09%
Cabin 11 20.75%
Campground 29 54.72%
Dispersed camping 31 58.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2014, 10:44 PM   #151
mramosc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebrassnuckles View Post
Hey, can I come too?

I'm pretty new to riding and I have an old KTM 400.
Well I'm not the one organizing this, but I'm pretty sure you are more than welcomed to join.
mramosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:22 AM   #152
Hesaid OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebrassnuckles View Post
Hey, can I come too?

I'm pretty new to riding and I have an old KTM 400.
Sure, we'd love to have you, the more the merrier, look forward to meeting you, and all that... But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mramosc View Post
Well I'm not the one organizing this, but I'm pretty sure you are more than welcomed to join.
Man, you know with a KTM he's going to show us all up. Those bikes are awesome. They're so good they handle the gnarliest single track by themselves. They don't even need a skilled rider, that's just deadweight along for the ride. And frankly, it's a shame to add so much weight to a bike that is so light. The only reason they even tolerate riders is so that there will be someone around to change their oil every 20 minutes. Oh sure, oil changes every 20 minutes seems laughable at first, but when you do the math, you realize that it's actually quite comparable to a Japanese bike's 2000-2500 miles interval. It's just that the KTM goes so fast, it covers those miles in such a short time...

Ah, ok. Just kidding around. I may have met a fan-boy or two in my time. Not so much from those here in town and in this thread, those guys can ride, but then there's my bosses bike. Sitting in the back of the shop. Gathering dust. Maybe 500 miles on it in 5 years. I guess it's just too good to ride? But the part about them not even needing a skilled rider? That part might have some truth to it, otherwise, why would anyone ever suggest that I get one?

I'll throw your name on the list, you planning on coming up Friday night or Saturday morning? Oh, wait, crap. I forgot already. KTM. You're probably leaving Saturday morning and getting there Friday night. Damn, I'm going to have to get me one of those...

MV
Old 07-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #153
Thebrassnuckles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Hahah. Don't worry. I'm a terrible rider, plus it's slow. And pretty ugly. I will be getting there Saturday I think. I'll be getting a new work schedule in a couple weeks so it's hard to gauge days off.
Thebrassnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:49 AM   #154
optopilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
90% In

Please add me to the list. Depending on circumstances, I may up for the whole event or up for 1 day.
optopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:06 AM   #155
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by optopilot View Post
Please add me to the list. Depending on circumstances, I may up for the whole event or up for 1 day.
Opto, I think Im driving up from Clovis at least one day, we can carpool if you like.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:27 AM   #156
optopilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
Opto, I think Im driving up from Clovis at least one day, we can carpool if you like.
Mckay, my situation is very fluid right now. I should firm things up in 2 weeks. I'm in northwest Fresno. Thinking of trucking up the DR350. Other alternative is riding Tiger 955 up if I get the Stator changed out. I'll keep in touch.
optopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #157
Fresburg
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I wound like to join the noob ride on Saturday & maybe Sunday, I am a complete dirt noob on my KLR650, on the flip side I know the general area and some of the jeep trails
Fresburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #158
mramosc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
When is everybody arriving?
Anybody arriving thursday? I'll be arriving early friday or late thursday if anybody else is going to be there that early.

"Hesaid", if you want you can update my entry in the list of people; I'm going on a WR250R.
mramosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:45 AM   #159
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,191
OK I survived the ride with the pig (3k miles in a week) and only came back with a busted windscreen, busted fog light, and the bike is filthy.

However, for my next ride I'm definitely bringing the little bike as I'm pretty worn out. I asked the boss if she wanted to come and she's going to think about it. If that's the case, we'll definitely be bringing the camper (I seem to remember everyone saying we could get it in to where we were planning). Otherwise I'll just do the tent and bike on the hitch carrier.

I'm kinda excited for this as I've wanted to ride the little bike off road for a while now- especially after manhandling the pig for a few hundred miles.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:19 AM   #160
Hesaid OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresburg View Post
I wound like to join the noob ride on Saturday & maybe Sunday, I am a complete dirt noob on my KLR650, on the flip side I know the general area and some of the jeep trails
Added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mramosc View Post
When is everybody arriving?
Anybody arriving thursday? I'll be arriving early friday or late thursday if anybody else is going to be there that early.

"Hesaid", if you want you can update my entry in the list of people; I'm going on a WR250R.
Not sure about Thursday yet. We talked about it, but I think it'll be Friday middayish. We'll keep in touch, maybe you could join us for our ride up on Friday, as we're talking about taking the dirty way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
OK I survived the ride with the pig (3k miles in a week) and only came back with a busted windscreen, busted fog light, and the bike is filthy.

However, for my next ride I'm definitely bringing the little bike as I'm pretty worn out. I asked the boss if she wanted to come and she's going to think about it. If that's the case, we'll definitely be bringing the camper (I seem to remember everyone saying we could get it in to where we were planning). Otherwise I'll just do the tent and bike on the hitch carrier.

I'm kinda excited for this as I've wanted to ride the little bike off road for a while now- especially after manhandling the pig for a few hundred miles.
Little bike is the one you want to ride with Pcvance on the Dusy. Talked to some guys on 990's this weekend, reports are that the Dusy is 33 miles of pure hell. No one should subject themselves to it. Bring a bike light enough to carry... Sounds right up you guys' alley! Yes there is room for a camper, and with Shaver and Dinkey nearby, there are even things to do.

I'll be posting and updating this week, now that August is here. I've been watching the weather and the fire(s), so far so good. Some rain has been falling, so hopefully the dirt will be a little nicer, and maybe even still water in the streams.

MV

Hesaid screwed with this post 08-05-2014 at 07:07 PM
Hesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:02 AM   #161
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,810
That would be great if there is water in camp that I can filter. Otherwise, I'll have to run to the store for the bottled variety.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #162
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 4,926
Matt, I've heard contrary reports that the Dusy is 33 miles of pure paradise.

Don't let a few rocks spoil the all the fun.

BTW flat wide roads are boring.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #163
Hesaid OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Matt, I've heard contrary reports that the Dusy is 33 miles of pure paradise.

Don't let a few rocks spoil the all the fun.

BTW flat wide roads are boring.
I imagine it all depends on your idea of fun. I didn't catch whether he did it on the 990 or something else. I imagine the 990 would be one hell of a bike to take through there. As it is, we're all looking forward to hearing you guys' tales of fortune and glory back at camp, just not sure if we'll be able to stay up until 2am to do it!

Maybe you can do a night ride to the top of Bald Mountain, ride up before sunset, watch the sun go down, the lights come up, and then ride back in the dark. I know the trail is wide, but surely the dark adds something to it?

MV
Old 08-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #164
Shesaid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
That would be great if there is water in camp that I can filter. Otherwise, I'll have to run to the store for the bottled variety.
I'm pretty sure there's enough of a trickle in the stream to allow for filtering. But the stream has been low and slow enough all summer that any water you pull out of there REALLY NEEDS filtering.

But the store is close and kinda a nice ride, so it's not a bad back up plan.
Shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #165
01001010 01000011
AKA-JC

Oddometer: 321
I bet the store has a spigot.
01001010 01000011 is offline   Reply With Quote