ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Multiple choice, choose as many as applicable:
Why aren't we doing this now 11 20.75%
July 10 18.87%
Aug 18 33.96%
Sept 19 35.85%
Whenever 25 47.17%
Hotel 8 15.09%
Cabin 11 20.75%
Campground 29 54.72%
Dispersed camping 31 58.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #181
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbasher1 View Post
that sounds just odd enough to be a false flag, did you guys see any evidence of sprinklers?what is nearby and why would somebody off the grid not just use a septic system. I can think of all kinds of reasons the gummint isnt going to just let somebody spray excrement to their hearts desire, right? ironbasher
Hey Ironbasher, are you going to join us on this ride?

MV
Old 08-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #182
slowerthanu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Or you could have a truck at the top in case you don't want to backtrack. just a suggestion.Jeeps are known to take 2 to 3 days to complete this trail.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #183
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Naw, no overnight on the Dusy Ershim, I think if we get from south to north done by noon we turn around and do it again in the opposite direction. Must avoid all that slab back to camp. Even if the Dusy is not harder than the Rubicon it is three times longer.
Yeah I know it's longer, but is it long enough that I'll need the Exxon Valdez tank?

You think we'll be able to blast that whole trail in the morning? I really have zero experience with it, but:

Old 08-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #184
ironbasher1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Wicked Ride

Hi Hesaid, yes i would like to go if possible, the evening of the 22nd 23rd 24th at rock creek campground correct? When you started this i had just the v strom and had ridden most of the appropriate roads but now that i have an alternative i am more likely to go. Ironbasher
ironbasher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #185
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Hi Hesaid, yes i would like to go if possible, the evening of the 22nd 23rd 24th at rock creek campground correct? When you started this i had just the v strom and had ridden most of the appropriate roads but now that i have an alternative i am more likely to go. Ironbasher
Iron, Im selling my rack, check your pm here
Old 08-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #186
sfeatherstone22
Young Grasshopper

Oddometer: 56
Dusy

I'll just leave this here

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/threads/99109/
sfeatherstone22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:12 PM   #187
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfeatherstone22 View Post
I know two of those guys!
Old 08-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #188
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Naw, no overnight on the Dusy Ershim, I think if we get from south to north done by noon we turn around and do it again in the opposite direction. Must avoid all that slab back to camp. Even if the Dusy is not harder than the Rubicon it is three times longer.
have fun pushing your bikes up Thompson hill .. if I ever do that ride again it will be south.. I have not showed you the video clip of me yelling my ass off..

Good luck to you two! I may come out to the camp site friday after work or ride over for the day Saturday stay the night and use your vacant campsite
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:19 PM   #189
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
This is more like what I was expecting to read about.

Perry, you sure you wanna subject yourself to this torture? That's a bit much...
Old 08-07-2014, 10:24 PM   #190
sfeatherstone22
Young Grasshopper

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post

Perry, you sure you wanna subject yourself to this torture? That's a bit much...
To be fair they went up it and not down it. There is another rr here on adv where they went down and it seemed a bit more "leisurely" .
sfeatherstone22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:35 PM   #191
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'll add your name to the list. Did you check out the first post? It should have a map and a .GPX file attached at the bottom that includes a waypoint for the campsite.

Quote:

No, he doesn't want to subject himself to this torture...

He wants to subject a group of you to this torture.

And then eat lunch.

And then go back the way you came.

Quote:
To be fair they went up it and not down it. There is another rr here on adv where they went down and it seemed a bit more "leisurely" .
See? By going up before lunch, and down after lunch, we'll finally have a definitive answer to which way is best. From the same riders, on the same day, with their same bikes. It's research. Probably even tax deductible. Pcvance needs to know the terrain in case he ever has to go tow someone out of there. That's why he's taking the Grinch, it's valuable workplace training.

And us noobs are looking forward to hearing about it!

MV
Old 08-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #192
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Just a quick couple of things:

I stopped to visit some friends who were camped there yesterday. The stream is still flowing, but just barely. Where it goes under the bridge it seemed to be just a trickle, but up at their campsite, where is was plagued with children, it was supporting wading, splashing, and a seamlessly never ending supply of water balloons, so that may have impacted the downstream flow.

The line for the showers at Dinkey Creek was quite long at ~5.45 yesterday. I talked to a guy from the Bay Area who was waiting in line. A sportbike incident left him with his left arm in a sling. Now he rides a WR250r with a right hand clutch and other swapped controls. I invited him to join us for this ride. The gas at Dinkey was only $4.85, which considering the location, doesn't seem that bad.

Other than that, no nearby fires, thunder storms have put a little more moisture into the area, and I explored a new route home. Things are looking good.

MV
Old 08-10-2014, 03:08 PM   #193
cwenger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
wow I'm glad there were so many posts and pictures from the dusy cause I was thinking of riding some harder trails but not like that. At least not on my klr, maybe I would do it on my dirt bike but I got to remember the klr is not a dirt bike. Cant wait to meet all of you this is gona be fun
cwenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #194
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

The boss said she wants to come! Will I be OK to bring the mutts?
Old 08-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #195
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,408
Quote:
The boss said she wants to come! Will I be OK to bring the mutts?
Ms. Bianca and the mutts are always welcome!

Max will be happy.