ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Multiple choice, choose as many as applicable:
Why aren't we doing this now 11 20.75%
July 10 18.87%
Aug 18 33.96%
Sept 19 35.85%
Whenever 25 47.17%
Hotel 8 15.09%
Cabin 11 20.75%
Campground 29 54.72%
Dispersed camping 31 58.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #241
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by piedralone View Post
It was Dr. McGann, he's retired now.
Well I met the guy I was referred to today, he rides a 500EXC, Maybe he will take extra care...
Old 08-18-2014, 07:06 PM   #242
ironbasher1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
surgery

Jeff, try to get your doc to set you up with a cryo-cuff as soon as you leave surgery, maybee before hand! cryo-cuff provides the very important compression and cold after surgery to minimize post surgical swelling, they are much more comfortable and effective than just an ice pack. the really trick ones circulate the ice water automatically, mine you have to circulate manually but still better than an ice pack. kinzea
ironbasher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:37 PM   #243
optopilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
This is going to be fun!

I have got things at work and home sorted out. I will be hauling the DR350 up in the PU with a plethora of amenities to camp by noon Friday. No need to heli in the BBQ! I will be breaking camp mid morning Sunday. McKay, do you want to ride up with me, or take the Jeep?
optopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #244
Hesaid OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
With this trip drawing ever closer, I wanted to throw out even more info. You might want to read carefully, just in case you're mentioned specifically...

For those particularly interested in adventure motorcycling, including long trips with all your gear through all types of weather, Shesaid will be fresh off of a weeklong moto trip through 6 western states (due to apparent scheduling conflicts and/or map reading abilities, the states of Utah and Washington were unable to make this ride).

We'll also be fortunate enough to have along one of Sequoia National Forest's premier night riders, a member of the exclusive "Verplank" club (Verplank trail not recommended for nighttime riding). Hopefully he'll be sharing his wisdom in the art of travelling light when the sky isn't, including such topics as:

Which items of riding apparel make the best trailside pillow

Where to find the most comfortable picnic tables for a good night's sleep

and

How to get your ass off the mountain and back to town in time for work the next day

In a combination sure to be appreciated by all, we'll have rocks, up to and including mountain-sized, and an actual geologist! Who better to answer your questions as to why sometimes the view looks like this:

And other times like this:

And of course, something I know I'm looking forward to, and that is the rare opportunity to have both a geologist and a helicopter expert together in the same place, so we can finally get some straight answers on just how the Forest Service managed to get all those boulders back into such remote locations such as Brewer Lake and the Dusy Ershim.

That's right folks, this weekend will be more than a ride, it'll be an education!

Oh, and just as a quick note, for those of you riding up that may not be familiar with local wildlife, try to remember that if possible, you should avoid hitting the spiders crossing the road:

They can be a bit slick.

MV

Hesaid screwed with this post 08-18-2014 at 09:53 PM
Hesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:00 PM   #245
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,221
Had an idea for you campers. You may want to look into renting a port a potty for the weekend. If not dig deep !
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:15 AM   #246
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Had an idea for you campers. You may want to look into renting a port a potty for the weekend. If not dig deep !
Oh shit. I hadn't thought about that.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:47 AM   #247
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by optopilot View Post
McKay, do you want to ride up with me, or take the Jeep?
MRI tomorrow then into the clean room for repairs sometime this week. Too up-in-the-air for me to commit yet. Please plan without me, have fun! I still hope to make it up on four wheels.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #248
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbasher1 View Post
Jeff, try to get your doc to set you up with a cryo-cuff as soon as you leave surgery, maybee before hand! cryo-cuff provides the very important compression and cold after surgery to minimize post surgical swelling, they are much more comfortable and effective than just an ice pack. the really trick ones circulate the ice water automatically, mine you have to circulate manually but still better than an ice pack. kinzea
Ill ask as I hate manually icing things I cant drink!
Old 08-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #249
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Does anyone have information about the fires in this area? I don't have time to research it this morning, but I heard that there are some road closures on Highways 49 and 41 (the route I had planned on taking). Another fire in Kings canyon, which is probably well south of the camp site.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #250
gtfarmindirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Does anyone have information about the fires in this area? I don't have time to research it this morning, but I heard that there are some road closures on Highways 49 and 41 (the route I had planned on taking). Another fire in Kings canyon, which is probably well south of the camp site.
Shaver and surrounding areas up 168 are all open, no fires.
The Coursegold Junction fire is really close to town and many residences. Hope they get around it soon.

http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents...cident_id=1037
gtfarmindirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #251
WHOISDIRK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
In Friday night

I'll be in Friday night 8-9pm after riding out from work in Daly City on a g650 Xcountry. Looking forward to it
WHOISDIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #252
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfarmindirt View Post
Shaver and surrounding areas up 168 are all open, no fires.
The Coursegold Junction fire is really close to town and many residences. Hope they get around it soon.

http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents...cident_id=1037
Yeah, looks like I'll have to get down into the Valley to get around it.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #253
FiveOJester
Monti's Nemesis

Oddometer: 208
What time are you guys leaving to ride Saturday morning? I might come up for the day from Fresno.

I know the area well so I could guide a group if needed.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #254
Hesaid OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveOJester View Post
What time are you guys leaving to ride Saturday morning? I might come up for the day from Fresno.

I know the area well so I could guide a group if needed.
Well, your sig says you're on an orange bike so you must know what you're doing... Are you gonna be Pcvance's partner on the Dusy Ershim? I think we're still waiting to hear from the Grinch.

MV
Old 08-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #255
GoSpeed
'getting there

Oddometer: 58
HeSaid wrote: "I notice on your map, that you're approaching the "Noob Turn" from the direction of Dinkey Creek, as opposed to from the 168, the route most would choose to come up the mountain. What have you got planned?"

No, the track you see is from your own GPX route. It is not the route that I'll be using to arrive on Thursday. Yes, I'll be coming in from the direction of Shaver Lake, not from Dinkey Creek. Thanks for looking out for me, however!

As I mentioned, Steve, Pamela and I will arrive Thursday evening, hopefully before dusk. We don't have a big RV, so, we'll leave the bigger sites for the Winnebungalos.