ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Multiple choice, choose as many as applicable:
Why aren't we doing this now 11 20.75%
July 10 18.87%
Aug 18 33.96%
Sept 19 35.85%
Whenever 25 47.17%
Hotel 8 15.09%
Cabin 11 20.75%
Campground 29 54.72%
Dispersed camping 31 58.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2014, 09:10 AM   #31
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,201
LTS has our recovery vehicle.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #32
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
LTS has our recovery vehicle.
We've done it before...

Old 06-26-2014, 02:00 PM   #33
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,121
Funny story: one time my buddy and I did the Dusty-Ershim trail in my '83 Toyota solid axle longbed pickup. I got up there late in the day, and lost the trail in the patchy snow. We managed to find our way out by following tire tracks with flashlights. It was early summer, so we had no shirts. By the end of the day, the seats had worn our backs so raw that we were leaning forward to avoid touching them to the seats. It was one of those times you ask yourself "what have I gotten myself into?".

Kimberly and I would love to attend. I just put some TKC80 knobbies on the Dorsoduro, so we'll have to see how it does.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:18 PM   #34
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
1. I will if I can...
theGrinch can use your Xterra for extraction duty.
Yes, you missed out on some real fun on Verplank!
Byron (upinsmoke) did the Dusy on a WR450 solo in a few hours last year, but that guy can ride. JPaccassi and Montibank have done it too I think. It's easier on bikes than 4x4's.
I can't say the Xterra has never been used as an extraction vehicle, but I thought The Grinch got a fancy truck, with winches and lifts and gear and stuff? You didn't just equip him with a Woodlake set up right? Some old big block pick-up with no tailgate and an old U-Haul dolly, right?

Seems like it would be easier on a bike, tight stuff isn't so tight, and big rocks can be gone around... But I've never done it either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Have no fear (again, if I bring the little bike) as the Jeep makes short order of such nonsense:

And Grinch may be a bit loony, but a damn good rider and very capable of helping out. YOu can't have a nicer guy to ride with than pcvance either.

Just remember, take the bags off and lose as much weight on the bike as possible and go slow and you'll be fine. The Dusy Ershim is a spicy meatball, but with help doable.

Well, to be honest, I had Bald or Brewer more in mind, at least for noobs. PCVance is the guy who brought up the Dusy. I think he wants to ride it. I know it's not their beloved singletrack, but sometimes it's good to broaden one's horizons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrisley View Post
I'm so stoked to get out on a ride! I'll be coming on my KLR. Just got my crash bars and skid plate put on so I'll be ready for a tip over or twelve for my first off road excursion!
I'm loving the enthusiasm I'm hearing from everyone who is so anxious to get out there and wreck their bikes! I really felt that was missing from the MSF course we took...

MV
Old 06-26-2014, 06:23 PM   #35
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
Well, to be honest, I had Bald or Brewer more in mind, at least for noobs. PCVance is the guy who brought up the Dusy. I think he wants to ride it. I know it's not their beloved singletrack, but sometimes it's good to broaden one's horizons.
Heh-heh... "Broaden one's horizons..."

Broaden:become larger in distance from side to side; widen.
"her smile broadened"
synonyms:widen, expand, stretch (out), draw out, spread

"Widen", "Expand", like going from singletrack to a full 4x4 trail... I made a pun. I'm a good writer. Take that high school English teachers!

MV
Old 06-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #36
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Don't quit your day job...
Old 06-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #37
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,201
http://vimeo.com/m/76492538

Hell yes I want to ride that trail...

It's one of the few "wide" trails that interests me.

Is it noob friendly? I dunno...

Ride through the John Muir Wilderness on a dirt bike.

Brewer and Bald? Been there, done that.

pcvance screwed with this post 06-26-2014 at 07:48 PM
pcvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:44 PM   #38
lsellers
a DSRIDER

Oddometer: 1,509
Quote:
Ride through the John Muir Wilderness on a dirt bike.
It would be something to remember all right. Imagine the stories.. the faces of... basically everyone as you ride up and over Mt. Whitney, down and out. Couldn't help but think about it as I hiked through it myself. I'd do it if the momentous fine and possible ban for life one would get for trying it. Not to mention the impact on nature. The bike is an iron mule, it's a mule trail... makes sense to me.

Swamp can be pretty gnarly. Depending on the direction you go so can Dusy I hear. We've never made it up that direction yet either on our bikes but it's on the things to do list. Maybe you can try a little bit of that while you do Mt. Tom lookout.

I'm still looking for a route to take us from the Valley to the Desert straight through/over.
lsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:48 PM   #39
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

I think Labor Day weekend is the best date.

As much as I like dispersed camping, I think you should utilize a campground this year so we can have a campfire.

Maybe have easier and more difficult trail options. I'd love to test out my 410 lb bike shod in knobbies on some moderate trails, and maybe borrow Kimberly's DR350 for the extreme stuff? She doesn't have a lot of riding experience, so she'd probably do the big bike ride on the 350.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #40
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I think Labor Day weekend is the best date.

As much as I like dispersed camping, I think you should utilize a campground this year so we can have a campfire.

Maybe have easier and more difficult trail options. I'd love to test out my 410 lb bike shod in knobbies on some moderate trails, and maybe borrow Kimberly's DR350 for the extreme stuff? She doesn't have a lot of riding experience, so she'd probably do the big bike ride on the 350.
So far late Aug or early Sept is looking good. Labor Day sounds great from the three day weekend standpoint, but I wonder how many people already have other plans/commitments. Dispersed vs. campground gets tricky. As dry as this year has been, there's no guarantee that even a campground will allow fires. And there's the cost. (Too) many campgrounds are now "managed" by the California Land Management company, $28 a night for 6 persons in a space, which includes one vehicle/two motorcycles. $7 for each additional vehicle/two motorcycles... This will all add up. And a crowded hosted campground where rowdy hooligans will be told to keep it down after a certain time.

I figure I'll let the polls ride for a couple more days, and then start to narrow it down. I definitely think the idea of multiple rides for different skill levels and terrain sounds good. Can you believe some of these fools want to ride the Dusy Ershim? They're crazy I tell you...

MV
Old 06-26-2014, 10:16 PM   #41
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

I'm in whether we have a campfire or not. I've got an Esbit stove.

I showed a picture of the extreme wheelin' to Kimberly and asked her if she could climb it on the DR350, and she just says "sure". What a trooper.

She works in the school system, so the 3 day weekend is a huge plus.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:37 PM   #42
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Alright, it looks like the poll activity has died down, and the results are in. Aug and Sept are looking good, camping is the popular choice, and riding from backroads to trails. Oh, and scenery was the most popular thing to see, and for that, well, hell, that's easy, you can't turn around without seeing something great in the area, so we've got that base covered.

Now about dates, late Aug to early Sept is looking good. And Labor Day Weekend falls right in the midst of that. I'm torn, three day weekend is nice, but it will bring more crowds. Schools around here start pretty early, and that normally cuts the crowds significantly. Hmmm...

I think before we decide on the camping arrangements, we ought to know about how many people are joining in. If we're going to be using a campground, I'll be honest, I have no idea how their reservation set-up works. I'm sure I can figure it out, but we'll need to know just what we're reserving. If we're going dispersed, I know a couple of good spots. I imagine fire restrictions will be pretty severe either way.

As for the roads, I've got plenty of ideas. And if some of these skilled guys are going to be bring their awesome off road prowess to the party, all the better. I think we might be able to either split up, or do easy stuff the first day and hard stuff the next.

So, do I start an "official" thread with a poll about the dates and a sign up list, or do folks want to chime in here?

MV
Old 06-29-2014, 09:58 PM   #43
ADV_Riz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I think it would be best to avoid Labor Day Weekend...Just my 2 cents.

The artist formerly known as adrisley.
ADV_Riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:01 PM   #44
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,236
I think you can start it from here.

I agree to not do it during Labor Day. Careful on how late you are looking in Sept. also depending on elevation as that can be when snow starts.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:39 PM   #45
sfeatherstone22
Young Grasshopper

Oddometer: 53
CG option

Possibly badger flat group CG in Kaiser wilderness area? Close to tamarack ridge as well as going back in towards lake Thomas Edison area?
sfeatherstone22 is offline   Reply With Quote