ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Multiple choice, choose as many as applicable:
Why aren't we doing this now 11 20.75%
July 10 18.87%
Aug 18 33.96%
Sept 19 35.85%
Whenever 25 47.17%
Hotel 8 15.09%
Cabin 11 20.75%
Campground 29 54.72%
Dispersed camping 31 58.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #121
Igottool
n00b

Oddometer: 2
In
Igottool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #122
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,112
I don't do tent camping cuz I can't sleep on the ground. And when I don't sleep, I get cranky.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #123
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
Hesaid, is the base camp site now fixed? It still says optional in the first post.
I'm going to call he camp area fixed. I'll edit the first post to reflect it. McKay, I know you have/had some concerns, and I didn't want you to think I wasn't listening or caring, so I did what I had to do.

Saturday Shesaid and I selflessly put off the entirety of our household chores, turned our backs on the yardwork, neglected our shopping needs, loaded up the bikes, and rode up to the proposed camp site to give it a good, thorough looking over. We even went so far as to set up camp and spend the night.

It was good.

Remember when you asked about an RV, and I said you ought to be fine, short of driving a full on bus? Well guess what was parked back in the woods when we got there? Yeah. Towing a trailer too...

look in the distance, beyond the Ford

There were a few other RV/truck/trailer combos about, one a small to mid-sized toy hauler. Not sure what you're running, but I imagine you'll be fine.

Other than that, for a holiday three day weekend, space was not hard to come by. Elevation is ~6300', which is pleasant. Not too cold like the high elevation stuff, but above the heat.

MV
Old 07-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #124
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
I'm going to call he camp area fixed. I'll edit the first post to reflect it. McKay, I know you have/had some concerns, and I didn't want you to think I wasn't listening or caring, so I did what I had to do.

Saturday Shesaid and I selflessly put off the entirety of our household chores, turned our backs on the yardwork, neglected our shopping needs, loaded up the bikes, and rode up to the proposed camp site to give it a good, thorough looking over. We even went so far as to set up camp and spend the night.

It was good.

Remember when you asked about an RV, and I said you ought to be fine, short of driving a full on bus? Well guess what was parked back in the woods when we got there? Yeah. Towing a trailer too...

look in the distance, beyond the Ford

There were a few other RV/truck/trailer combos about, one a small to mid-sized toy hauler. Not sure what you're running, but I imagine you'll be fine.

Other than that, for a holiday three day weekend, space was not hard to come by. Elevation is ~6300', which is pleasant. Not too cold like the high elevation stuff, but above the heat.

MV
Sorry bout that grass!! Ill run up there this weekend and look. My RV was hit by a moron in a Prius the night before the fourth so it may be a moot point now anyhow
Old 07-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #125
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,197
That looks a lot more shady than the aerial photo looked. That's great!
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #126
WHOISDIRK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Thanks for making it up to check it out! Lots of shade and tall trees seems pretty ideal to me
WHOISDIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #127
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
That looks a lot more shady than the aerial photo looked. That's great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHOISDIRK View Post
Thanks for making it up to check it out! Lots of shade and tall trees seems pretty ideal to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
Sorry bout that grass!! Ill run up there this weekend and look. My RV was hit by a moron in a Prius the night before the fourth so it may be a moot point now anyhow
Sorry, I had meant to get quite a few more pics up, as well as some other info, but I'm dealing with a computer failure at home. Working off of a back-up laptop without my normal stuff, and the laptop is s-l-o-w... It kept freezing while writing that post, so I ended up just hitting "submit" with what I had.

There is plenty of shade and trees. There's a small stream, but as dry as it is this year, no promises that it will still be wet. There are trails all over the place that are good for putzing about on also. I am going to be looking into the gas at Dinkey Creek. On Sunday we got gas there, but for some reason, were told it was full service only. Having someone else pump my gas always rubs me the wrong way, and on a motorcycle, all the more. Shaver on the other hand, works just fine. I hate having to argue about filling the tank. I know it doesn't matter much to you honey, you work at a gas station, and are here every day. But one of these bikes goes about 100 miles before reserve, and we've got ~115 to the next station, I need that last cup!!!

MV
Old 07-08-2014, 02:21 PM   #128
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,197
Ha! I'm doing one of those Friday on my way to the SBK races at Laguna Seca. Reserve comes on at 100-110, and my first gas stop is 106 miles one the other side of the wetlands out by Gustine. If I run out in the wildlife refuge, it could be a while before I see anyone.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:06 PM   #129
01001010 01000011
AKA-JC

Oddometer: 322
What will the cost be?
What about food, community or are we on our own?
Any evening activities or just beer around the fake fire ring?
01001010 01000011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:44 PM   #130
stuntcrazy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
looks fun

might be a good ride to take my 990 off the road. How much does it cost?
stuntcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #131
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01001010 01000011 View Post
What will the cost be?
What about food, community or are we on our own?
Any evening activities or just beer around the fake fire ring?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntcrazy View Post
might be a good ride to take my 990 off the road. How much does it cost?
Good questions. First, cost? As I see it, this is more of a "get-together" than an "event", I'm not really aware of any costs incurred by the organizer, which is to say me. I mean, I suppose the trips up to pre-run the routes, and pre-camp the camps, pre-drink the beers, and so on... But no. With no expenses to cover, this doesn't need to cost anything.

Secondly, as far as other activities and/or meals, I think we ought to start discussing those. I feel like the original concept revolved around noobs with a desire to do a little motorcycle adventuring, so I was thinking there would be a lot of "living off the bike" type camping and eating. Of course, another big part of adventure riding is getting to meet the locals, so I figured we'd try to hit some out of the way places as well. I'm open to ideas, so feel free to help me out with some.

It seems like quite a few people are looking to get there Friday night. It might be helpful if folks would let me know when they plan on arriving, and I can start to get more of a schedule made. So far here's what I'm thinking:

Friday afternoon/evening, people are arriving, setting up, tooling around to check out the area.

Saturday, us noobs head off to ride Shesaid's Loop (should be a link in the first post). This is a decent loop that starts with a bit of nice pavement, then some poor pavement, then gravel, then dirt, poor dirt, pavement, an option for either nice dirt or rock, then ending back on pavement. It offers a little bit of everything except the challenging off-road stuff, though you can always improvise by picking a harder line in some areas. I figure it will give everyone a chance to try out some different options, and then everyone will have some better ideas of what they like, want more of, etc... If we get a decent start and don't get drastically hung up anywhere, it should also put us back "up top" with plenty of daylight left to explore other areas. I'll try to edit the first post with some other ideas.

Meanwhile...

I imagine those of the "veteran class" will head off to the Dusy Ershim on Saturday. Tell me veterans, is that the plan?

Saturday evening, well, let me hear some ideas. In true adventure style we can concoct meals from on the bike stores, cooked on tiny stoves (consider yourself warned, Shesaid will likely try to get you to at Spam with a spork), or we can head into Shaver and cause delight and/or despair for the proprietors of some small eatery.

Sunday, my thought was to leave this pretty open, so we can decide what to do after having tried out some options on Saturday. Also, not knowing what time people need to roll out to get home, I didn't want to bite of more than we could chew. There are plenty of options, including what seems to be a specialty of Shesaid and I's, ridiculously indirect ways of heading off the mountain, making the ride home longer and more adventurous.

Ok, let me hear some thoughts, I'm going to go play IT guy and try to get the main home computer back up and running, which will make posting here much easier, and hopefully I'l be abl to get up some GPX files. I marked quite a few "Noob" waypoints last trip, and then came home to a dead computer...

MV
Old 07-15-2014, 07:18 PM   #132
01001010 01000011
AKA-JC

Oddometer: 322
To be clear, there are no camping fee's?
What about water, from a hydrant/spigot or stream/river/lake ?
If we have rain prior to the trip are there official fire rings or bbq's
available and what is the nat. forest Ph. so we can call and check?
Having fire available will make meal time much easier if we have that option,
iffy now but we can hope.
01001010 01000011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:58 PM   #133
Shesaid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01001010 01000011 View Post
To be clear, there are no camping fee's?
What about water, from a hydrant/spigot or stream/river/lake ?
If we have rain prior to the trip are there official fire rings or bbq's
available and what is the nat. forest Ph. so we can call and check?
Having fire available will make meal time much easier if we have that option,
iffy now but we can hope.
Per our most recent convos with ranger-types, the word is NO FIRES, and no charcoal fires-- stoves OK.

The site will be "dispersed camping," technically speaking. So no fees. Also no facilities. No bathrooms/showers/outhouses, no running water, no electricity, no campground host. The area is widely used for camping, so there are "established" fire rings, but since it's not technically a campground, fire restrictions apply none-the-less.

There is a small creek nearby where you could filter water. The creek is still running, but just a trickle.

Dinkey Creek store is about 3 miles away with ice, water, gas, bathrooms (pit toilets), pay showers, ice cream, candy, sandwich counter, souvenir t-shirts, and cabins for rent. Or Shaver about 7-8 miles in the other direction with slightly more options for same.

There is also the option of the Dinkey Creek campground, which will come complete with fees, hosts, rules, neighbors who may--or may not-- be worse than us, but the possibility of "established campfire rings" that may allow fires... but Hesaid and I both interpret most of the input as an overwhelming vote to camp wild, even if it means no fire.

I totally get ya though-- we prefer to cook over open fire ourselves.

Sierra Nat'l Forest: http://www.fs.usda.gov/sierra/

I believe you need the high sierra district out of Prather.
Shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #134
Gebogen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Dispersion

1. Where does the helicopter land to bring us the case of wine and the bar b que?
2. Did you sign us up for a T-time or do we have to make the arrangements ourselves?
3. Who is organizing the masseuse?

Seriously,
I have a jetboil and I may have an extra backpacking stove, and I'll bring my collapsible 2.5 gal water jugs. Are they reporting any bear issues up there?
Old 07-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #135
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebogen View Post
1. Where does the helicopter land to bring us the case of wine and the bar b que?
2. Did you sign us up for a T-time or do we have to make the arrangements ourselves?
3. Who is organizing the masseuse?

Seriously,
I have a jetboil and I may have an extra backpacking stove, and I'll bring my collapsible 2.5 gal water jugs. Are they reporting any bear issues up there?
Whoever gets hurt the worst gets a free ride in our helicopter! (to our local ER) We can land dam near anywhere