Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2014, 08:11 AM   #136
jimtom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
and thank you. Nice acquisition. I ride a Victory Vision. Did a solo trip from Alabama to South Dakota (been to SD several times at rally time but not for the rally, for the view of creation), and in 2012, took a big loop home through Montana, Wyoming through Moab, Utah into Arizona and the mind numbing I-40 home. It left an impression on my soul that I cannot nor do I ever want to shake. All I ever think about is going back. I'm in love the American west.
jimtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #137
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtom View Post
and thank you. Nice acquisition. I ride a Victory Vision. Did a solo trip from Alabama to South Dakota (been to SD several times at rally time but not for the rally, for the view of creation), and in 2012, took a big loop home through Montana, Wyoming through Moab, Utah into Arizona and the mind numbing I-40 home. It left an impression on my soul that I cannot nor do I ever want to shake. All I ever think about is going back. I'm in love the American west.

Gateway, CO is the perfect blend of the Rockies and the desert topography of Moab; perfectly radiused roads arcing from blues and greens to red and orange, then back again, a religious experience every time I do it. If you ever get a chance, be sure and drink from the natural spring hidden in the oasis just south of the town of Gateway, it cannot be explained.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #138
cleandirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81

Between the church and the cemetery, I had to wonder about all the stories and lives that existed in this place. You could see where all the exposed wooden framing in the building had burned and charred wood stumps recessed into the bricks were all that remained.
cleandirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #139
dogjaw
plays well alone

"We Don't Rent Pigs"

I wish we had taken better pictures of where the massive beams had burned up into the clay; that , and the empty bell towers. Makes me wonder what happened to the bells; it's sobering to think of what this church must have meant to this remote Colorado community, especially with all the old graves. I will remember it always.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:33 PM   #140
cleandirt
Adventurer

I was trying to find info on the church, all I came up with from google was that it burnt in 1975 or thereabout.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #141
dogjaw
plays well alone

I had assumed that it was much older than that; I guess that harsh desert sun tends to bleach everything...
Old 07-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #142
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oh, and...

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago...
Old 07-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #143
cleandirt
Adventurer

It has had just about forty years to weather in the elements sense it burned (hows that for the sunny slopes of long ago?) I wonder when it was built?
Old 07-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #144
dogjaw
plays well alone

I looked all over the web; there was a vague reference to a Mormon involvement with the community, but didn't really tie anything together. The cemetery looked very old, but the construction techniques in the church, not as much, Google images turned up lots of pics, not much history. Still a very cool place...
Old 07-21-2014, 03:30 AM   #145
jimtom
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
Gateway, CO is the perfect blend of the Rockies and the desert topography of Moab; perfectly radiused roads arcing from blues and greens to red and orange, then back again, a religious experience every time I do it. If you ever get a chance, be sure and drink from the natural spring hidden in the oasis just south of the town of Gateway, it cannot be explained.

Religious experience is exactly how I would and have described it. I am saving the locations you mentioned in a file to make them part of my own trip including Fina's. :) I will diligently look for that natural spring! Your pictures are amazing. What kind of camera did you use? I just been using my cell phone but need a real point and shoot camera. I don't want to learn to use one of those hubbel telescope cameras (or pay for it).
Get this, After reading this ride report, I went home and guess what was on? Lonesome Dove! I watched the whole thing again!

Woodrow Call: What do you want legs for anyway? You don't like to do nothing but sit on the porch and drink whiskey!
Gus McCrae: I like to kick a pig every once in a while. How would I do that?
Old 07-21-2014, 04:13 AM   #146
dogjaw
plays well alone

Don't stop adding to your list, some of the best places are still to come!!!

Just a quick word on the route: I nearly drove Zach to distraction in the weeks before this trip with my constant obsessing over the route. The point was to combine all the points from "you're that guy" with a good bit of dirt, gradually increasing the dirt difficulty until we hit Moab... Wish we could have hit more dirt, but we crammed a lot of miles into 8 days.

As far as a camera, Zach and I shot mostly Nikon aw100, Fletch shot an Olympus, can't remember what Brian used, but to be honest, my iPhone 4 with the camera+ app is what I use more than anything; check out dogjaw62 on Instagram.

There are just some things my vanity won't abide... Gus
Old 07-21-2014, 04:45 AM   #147
jimtom
Adventurer

Thanks again. My phone has always taken good pics but it's getting long in the tooth . I need to upgrade . I'm going to check out "You're that Guy".
Old 07-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #148
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,359
Insta famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
check out dogjaw62 on Instagram.
Thats how I came across this RR. I saw a pix of a bike on a cliff, something about a shake down run. Small inter web world indeed.

Great read and like the pictures of the folks you've met. Interesting stuff to read then see a pix of the person. Well played. I've enjoyed your point to point to point type journey.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:22 AM   #149
dogjaw
plays well alone

"We Don't Rent Pigs"

More people to come; I think one of the best!!!

As my Vaportech had given up the ghost somewhere back in Colorado, I had been judging my range on those of the other bikes in the group; we were all on pigs with comparable 5.5 gal tanks, with the exception on Fletch's dromedary with it 8 gals on board. I forgot that I had made the trip back into Pagosa, was abruptly reminded of this fact when he bike began to sputter along a particularly desolate section of 285. Zach's counter sprocket seal decided to start leaking, so we had no choice but to continue limping for Tres Piedras. They claim this is Spanish for "three rocks", I think it means "town with oil but no gas", and the next fuel stop is Taos. We leaned the bike all the way to the left to get all of the available fuel from the right lobe of the tank and continued limping towards the Rio Grande Gorge bridge, me laying flat on my tank bag to minimize wind resistance and milk every mile from the bike. Turns out it was all for naught, as I ran out anyway; luckily Bryan is a master with a Oklahoma credit card, and we siphoned a quart or two from Fletch's pig into broken beer bottles to restoke the DR's fires. I'm sure some pics are floating around out there of this humbling moment; I was too busy eating crow to take any myself.

dogjaw screwed with this post 07-21-2014 at 11:25 AM
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #150
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,777
Fheeeehhhhwww ! Dang I purt-ner read the whole thing at 1 sitting,havent read a ride report in a while but this one sucked me raught in.

Ive spent 5 days camping near Gothic by a crick,rode all over those mountains on the mt bike,after riding down Pikes Peak shortly before...60mph no problem.

Ive even got the 19" front wheel thing going on with my DR,they do work nice that way.

But overall great stories,worthwhile pics,and now I gotta stop at Fina's sometime.

Thanks!