Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #151
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
Thats how I came across this RR. I saw a pix of a bike on a cliff, something about a shake down run. Small inter web world indeed.

Great read and like the pictures of the folks you've met. Interesting stuff to read then see a pix of the person. Well played. I've enjoyed your point to point to point type journey.

How cool is this? The bike on the cliff was klrsonist, aka Riverbottomtrash , the rider of one of the klr's; he and Thumpstart did a shake down ride up in the Ozarks before we headed to the Rockies.

Oh, and the 19" on the DR is the schnizzle; Uncle Jesse at Kientech laced that up for me; I do wish that there were more tires available in 19, but I can't complain as long as they keep making the TKC80 and Shinko 705.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #152
Cpl.Goose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Wicked

Look Ma, I can almost see over my motorsickel, bet I can hide behind it.
Cpl.Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #153
cleandirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
More people to come; I think one of the best!!!

As my Vaportech had given up the ghost somewhere back in Colorado, I had been judging my range on those of the other bikes in the group; we were all on pigs with comparable 5.5 gal tanks, with the exception on Fletch's dromedary with it 8 gals on board. I forgot that I had made the trip back into Pagosa, was abruptly reminded of this fact when he bike began to sputter along a particularly desolate section of 285. Zach's counter sprocket seal decided to start leaking, so we had no choice but to continue limping for Tres Piedras. They claim this is Spanish for "three rocks", I think it means "town with oil but no gas", and the next fuel stop is Taos. We leaned the bike all the way to the left to get all of the available fuel from the right lobe of the tank and continued limping towards the Rio Grande Gorge bridge, me laying flat on my tank bag to minimize wind resistance and milk every mile from the bike. Turns out it was all for naught, as I ran out anyway; luckily Bryan is a master with a Oklahoma credit card, and we siphoned a quart or two from Fletch's pig into broken beer bottles to restoke the DR's fires. I'm sure some pics are floating around out there of this humbling moment; I was too busy eating crow to take any myself.
I've quietly suffered jeers and jokes of other riders concerning the size of my tank, knowing that one day this would happen. Bret may have been eating crow but I was finally feeling vindicated. Now, if it had been me who ran out of gas, that would have just been embarrassing! For the record, the IMS tank for the pre-08 KLRs are advertised to hold 6.6 gallons, in reality I think mine holds a little more than that. Aftermarket tanks for the post-08 klrs hold 8 and one that holds 10 gallons I think (can that be right?)

cleandirt screwed with this post 07-22-2014 at 10:20 PM
cleandirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #154
dogjaw
plays well alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl.Goose View Post
Look Ma, I can almost see over my motorsickel, bet I can hide behind it.

Look, it's Corporal Goose! He's the reason full face helmets were invented in the first place

Or...

I would like to return this helmet; I thought it was marked "flip up", not "throw up"

Old 07-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #155
dogjaw
plays well alone

Back on the road... Last year on the ride for Trevor, I happened across the Rio Grande Gorge bridge, had rosaries hanging all over it:

I took one, only to find out later that they were marking suicides. I heard that there was an Indian woman setting up at the end of the bridge selling these rosaries, so it was my intent to buy a couple to replace the one I had taken. I had told the guys of my intent, but was amazed to not only find the bridge rosary-free, but none for sale among the vendors at the west end of the bridge. I did find out that in June, Taos had hosted a memorial service for those who had chosen the long way down, and I must have happened across the bridge shortly thereafter. I will admit I like the bridge better with the rosaries; it looks kind of stark and sterile without them.

Among the hawkers of beef jerky, fake turquoise and Indian jewelry, sat a Japanese man by himself, his wares spread out before him on a small card table. My wife is Okinawan, so I tend to pick up on things that are authentically Japanese; he was wearing tabi, traditional socks split at the toe for wearing with sandles. This caused me to take a second look at his pottery for sale; I know next to nothing about pottery, but I know quality when I see it, so I went in search of Fletch. They only understood a few words of each other's language, but watching two obvious masters of their craft converse about kilns, clay, glaze and technique was one of the highlights of the trip. The Japanese potter had brought his wares all the way from Tokyo to sell in Taos, and the four rednecks from Arkansas severely diminished his inventory, and considered it an honor.

I would have never believed that I would by packing Japanese tea pottery into dusty saddlebags in the middle of the New Mexico desert. I hope Fletch chimes in with some history on this guy, as to hear him tell it, this guy was definitely the real deal.

This guy claimed to be from Mt Magazine, AR, thought I should know his dad...

Had to take her picture, still not exactly sure why...

Old 07-22-2014, 04:15 AM   #156
dogjaw
plays well alone

They made it back to Little Rock...

Old 07-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #157
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 856
yea, yea and double yea, Great pictures and report. Had the go west fever before, now I'm ate up with it. Must...go.......west !!
So glad you all got the chance to go.
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #158
cleandirt
Adventurer

Mitsuru Nakamura and me behind a display of his pots

The first thing I noticed about Mitsuru’s pottery, aside from it's general forms, was the clay some of the pots were made from. The bowl turned upside down on the far left of the table is made from the clay I’m speaking of. It doesn’t have any glaze applied to it. The natural glaze you can get from the atmosphere of a wood burning kiln gives it the orange color and sheen. It also has small partially melted white stones though out the clay which are visible in the photo. The clay, surfaces, and forms of his pots made me think he worked in Shigaraki.
Shigaraki ware is pottery made in the Shigaraki area of Japan. The clay and woodfired surfaces of Mitsuru’s pots are characteristic of Shigaraki style pots, as are his forms. Potters have been working in Shigaraki for hundreds of years. The pottery became important among tea masters in the 1500’s because it’s character fit the aesthetic influence zen buddhism was having on the tea ceremony. Shigaraki pottery has been influential to and often imitated by contemporary western potters who began experimenting with wood firing during the 1960’s and 70’s.
Seeing his pots, I had to know a little more about him. Due to our language gap a little more is about all I got. I asked him about his clay and he confirmed it was from Shigaraki and seemed excited to find that I knew what he was talking about. We communicated about each others kilns mostly by drawing in the air with our fingers, a kind of charades for potters. Being potters, we each knew what the other was saying, to a point. His pots were, for the most part, made to be used for tea, flowers, and saki. I could see by the matcha tea powder and tea implements under his table that he enjoys tea. I could also see in the photos of him and his friends sitting around his kiln that he very much enjoys saki. It was a strange, unexpected interaction to have on the side of the road in New Mexico. I hope I get a chance to learn more about him.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:11 PM   #159
cleandirt
Adventurer

Old 07-23-2014, 10:03 PM   #160
dogjaw
plays well alone

I was wondering when the smurftongue pic was going to show itself; I have a weakness for blue raspberry slushes!!
Old 07-23-2014, 11:23 PM   #161
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,775
Ive liked the orange slushies since I was a small person,headfreeze is worth it,to a point.

My DR is getting some fixes put on it,but this thread makes me want to get the thing out and go,Nevada aint that far from nor-cal.

The clay connection is good,always liked clay.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:22 AM   #162
dogjaw
plays well alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Ive liked the orange slushies since I was a small person,headfreeze is worth it,to a point.

My DR is getting some fixes put on it,but this thread makes me want to get the thing out and go,Nevada aint that far from nor-cal.

The clay connection is good,always liked clay.

Planning is a necessary evil on a longer trip, especially with multiple travelers, but sometimes you just have to shuck everything and go, even if it's for a short trip. As we progressed further into our trip, I began to notice that people began to look at us differently when we would stop for gas or food, or at least I imagined it to be so; it may be that the subtle changes were happening internally. I've often wondered why it takes a multi-day trip to achieve this "travel nirvana", and how I can achieve this same feeling moving around my own state.

I have no idea what all this means, other than forget the fixes to the DR, throw some clothes and cash together, take half the clothes and twice the cash and just go find an orange slush in Nevada.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:08 AM   #163
reubenRN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
, y, and b n twm Ryder ruttrup
Old 07-24-2014, 08:45 AM   #164
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
Planning is a necessary evil on a longer trip, especially with multiple travelers, but sometimes you just have to shuck everything and go, even if it's for a short trip. As we progressed further into our trip, I began to notice that people began to look at us differently when we would stop for gas or food, or at least I imagined it to be so; it may be that the subtle changes were happening internally. I've often wondered why it takes a multi-day trip to achieve this "travel nirvana", and how I can achieve this same feeling moving around my own state.

I have no idea what all this means, other than forget the fixes to the DR, throw some clothes and cash together, take half the clothes and twice the cash and just go find an orange slush in Nevada.
Oh it will happen,just a matter of rounding up some yokels to go along,the DR is sitting waiting for it's rebuilt shock but all else is go with it.

Its been from Chico to Nevada to southeastern Oregon and then Idaho on one go,never misses a beat.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:22 AM   #165
dogjaw
plays well alone

Wow, good deal... I envisioned it needing new grips or something! Who's doing the shock?