Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2014, 11:23 PM   #16
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,818
Been hard to update this thread for the last few days, just some teasers: snowball fights at 12000', two flats, one busted clutch lever, an amorous woodchuck, Ophir, Owl Creek, Gateway, Silverton, heading into Canyonlands tomorrow, 100+...

Quote of the day from thump: "I know how a Cheerio feels!!"

...and from LD: "a man who wouldn't cheat for a poke don't want one bad enough"

The Ride for Trevor:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941454
Old 07-03-2014, 05:19 AM   #17
dogjaw
plays well alone

Some teasers...

The Ride for Trevor:
Old 07-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #18
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Is that Blue Duck?
Old 07-06-2014, 04:30 AM   #19
dogjaw
plays well alone

"We Don't Rent Pigs"

And awaaay we go! Zach, Bryan and I left Little Rock at 1830 Wednesday, determined to sneak across the flats of TX and OK under cover of darkness. Fletch enjoys a more measured pace, and had pulled out three days earlier, camping in Hinton, Ok and in Raton, NM, where we were to meet him Thursday AM after we pulled our all nighter. A few thunderstorms in west Arkansas slowed our progress a bit, but everything was relatively uneventful until we started sighting herds of pronghorn antelope upon leaving Clayton, quite a thrill to these Arkansas hillbillies, We had arranged to meet Fletch at a local business that had graciously allowed us to leave our trucks, a super guy and even better location; it did my heart good to pull up and see Fletch's KLR ready to roll; after a quick stop at the diner across the highway, we got our bikes unloaded. I had thought a lot about this trip, my son would say even overthought it, so even though I'm not a praying in public type of guy, it seemed not only proper but necessary on this occasion considering the adversity we would possibly face. Hugely embarrassed that my voice was cracking and warbling like an old granny singing Anazing Grace, here were my words:

We thank You for this incredible opportunity to experience Your creation; guide our paths and keep us under Your covering as we travel. May we all find what we're looking for on this journey and may the recounting of our exploits bless those who are unable to be with us here today. Your mercy endureth forever.

We rolled onto I25 for the short stint of slab to Trinidad and twisties; so it begins.

"If you want one thing too much it’s likely to be a disappointment. The healthy way is to learn to like the everyday things, like soft beds and buttermilk—and feisty gentlemen." Gus, to Lori

The Ride for Trevor:
Old 07-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #20
Philb772
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
We rolled onto I25 for the short stint of slab to Trinidad and twisties; so it begins.

Looking forward to some great stories and pictures. Enjoy and savor the moment.

"Safety Third"
Philb772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #21
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Old 07-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #22
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
Any RR that starts out with the title from one of the best books of all time deserves a subscription

Carry on fellas, very interested to see how this turns out.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #23
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 856
I'm ready for the show once you boys rest up ..
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:29 PM   #24
Thumpstart92 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Day 1: Raton, NM to Gothic, CO

We left Little Rock around 6PM and the plan was to drive straight through the night to Raton NM. We had 3 drivers so we could just alternate drivers through the flat plains of OK and TX.
13 hours later we arrived bright eyed and bushy tailed ready to shove off on our grand escape. A fellow ADV rider hooked us up with a place to park our cagers (big thanks to Ateamnm)

Dojaw isnt afraid to help

We started off to Trinidad, CO we wanted to bypass as much interstate as possible so we gassed up in Trinidad and took some backroads Dogjaw had found.

Some beautiful scenery

Met a few KLR riders riding the TAT. This fella said our Ozarks had left their mark on his bike. Broken turn signal mended by duct tape, a bent crash bar and some Arkansas mud.
We headed off once again and found a stretch of dirt that would bypass Walsenburg. This would be our first taste of dirt and did it feel glorious. We didnt see another vehicle on this stretch of road, almost no dust and the first time I had seen mountains that tall.
The road ended and we headed to Cotapaxi.

Next Salida, which looking back on it was one of my favorite towns. Most of the other towns we went to were all to touristy. Salida kinda reminded me of home.
Found a sandwich place and grabbed a bite. One of the things we wanted to do is eat local food and say adios to McNastys.
Dogjaw talking to the waitress It takes a special person to take a ribbing from Dogjaw and she threw crap right back at him.

Clean Dirt looking GQish

Monarch would be our first pass and first snow sighting of the trip. Fun little climb halfway up my camera came off the lanyard and just happened to fall between my legs which forced me to sit down on it instead of stand up on the pegs. I felt every bump, rut, rock etc and made me realize I may need a new shock on my 35k shock.
Once we reached the top it was absolutely amazing (other than my camera being shoved between my buttcheeks. Great pictures everywhere you look panorama after another.

From here we started heading to Gunnison. Bryan wanted to camp at Crested Butte. So we start easing our way there.

Its getting kind of late and we stop at a campsite outside of Alamosa look and around. Forget this campsite We have better ones than this in Arkansas.
We arrive in Crested Butte, which is not one of my favorite towns. It reminded me of the preppy kids we used to play in football who's parents had bought all the refs. We stop at the visitor center to figure out where to camp. Bryan looks at his phone and exclaims "Gothic is only 3 blocks away"
3 blocks? heck lets go.

3 miles seems like a lot longer when you have 3 blocks stuck in your head. We go through Aspen groves, dirt roads, beautiful winding rivers. I always imagined this is what paradise what looked like.
We arrive in Gothic, CO. Gothic is actually a research facility founded in the 30's. We were greeted by a researcher who showed us to the library.

Okay library? Makes you think of books right?
There were books involved but more or less it was a library of insects and pelts of various rodents. The smell of formaldehyde creeped in our nostrils. Were not in Arkansas anymore.

We needed water so the researcher took us to a spickot that was connected to spring water. The best water I ever had. We filled up every container to put water in. Heck if I had another pair of shoes i would have filled those up with water.
We find a campsite 2 miles north of Gothic. This would be the most amazing campsite of the trip.
Just powerfully amazing. My jaw hit the ground so fast it hit a chipmunk in the head and made him crap out the acorn he had in his mouth whole. . Just absolutely extraordinary.

Firewood is easy to come by and Dried aspen burns like a charm.

Fire going,3 bags of dehydrated food makes for a good nights sleep.

The first 24 hours of riding will be hard to top

Gus to Woodrow: What are you talking about? You don't even like money. You like money even less than you like fun, if thats possible.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #25
dogjaw
plays well alone

Riding pigs as befits our Arkansas roots, we elected to forego as much slab as possible, turning west at Trinidad on 12, north through the Spanish Peaks, then just a few miles west on 160 to intersect 520, a dirt road that looks fairly straight and flat on the map but in reality is anything but. This gives us our first taste of wrangling the fully loaded pigs on gravel, and everyone rises to the challenge, a sign if great things to come.

As far as the waitress in Salida is concerned, Thump failed to mention how smoking hot she was, must be afeared that his gf will read this thread... She seemed to have a thing for guys with ponytails, but Bryan couldn't close the deal, so we decided to get out of Salida. While loading up, a group of pirates ride by and the last one in the parade( the pivot man?) sneers, "well, there goes the neighborhood!" I personally think they took it with them, was glad to see it go.

The trip up Monarch Pass was awesome; the first and last time I had been up there was on my 91 Nighthawk 750 last year, quite a difference from my DR650. Returning to this spot was awesome, but doing it with Zach this time was off if the charts, and was only going to get better.

Seemed like it took FOREVER. To reach Gothic, and we had no idea what we were in for; all I knew is that I had found it in a search for free campsites. Nothing could have prepared us for the jaw dropping beauty of the place, nor the openness of the resident students; they invited us into their library, left it unlocked do we could recharge phones, etc. We camped approx a mile down a dirt road in a canyon reminiscent of Yosemite, and had the place all to ourselves:

Raising a cup to those who have gone before, and to those who couldn't be with us on this day; who needs whiskey when fresh snowmelt is available in June?

Btw, 1920's libraries that are full of skinned critters and reek faintly of formaldehyde and located in the middle of nowhere are not to be visited alone at 2230, especially if you have a hyperactive imagination; I swear I heard rustling from inside the cabinets, so I went away from there, didn't necessarily run, but advanced with alacrity back to camp.

Gus: Lori, darlin'

The Ride for Trevor:
Old 07-06-2014, 03:47 PM   #26
dogjaw
plays well alone

Btw, the freeze dried dinners were awesome, although they had negative gastric effects on at least one of our party; I'm very grateful for a breeze blowing through the valley...

Woodrow: listening to you brag ain't improving the taste of these Mexican strawberries!

The Ride for Trevor:
Old 07-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #27
cleandirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
I'm Fletcher, or Fletch, or flex. I acquired the nickname flex on this trip, apparently due to an image Bret, Brian, and Zach developed of me being some kind of a bad ass. I don't know when exactly my actions nurtured this image, but I'm sure they will tell all about it in the course of the ride report. In addition to my daring antics their view of me was most likely encouraged by my bodybuilders physique, devil may care riding attire, and in your face demeanor.
With Bret and Zach's bikes in tow in addition to my own, I parted town a couple of days before the other guys. They had some cockamamie plan about spending a full day at work, getting in the car and towing a bike 13 hours over night from Little Rock to Raton, jumping out of the car before it had even rolled to a complete stop and landing on their bikes for a full day of mixed off road and paved twists riding. Being the bad ass that I am, (this was established in the first paragraph) I was having no part of this lunatics plan thank you very much. I'll drive half way, set up an overnight camp in OK then drive on to Raton the next day where I'll get a couple of good nights sleep before heading into the wild blue yonder with the rest of the guys. (the lunatic had other plans in store for this trip, most of which worked out absurdly wonderful!)

The rig taking a break somewheres in the Oklahoma plains.

Three little pigs aren't a lot of weight but you can sure feel them behind a little 6 cylinder f150.

Unfortunately I neglected to get better photo's of the Red Rock Canyon State park in Hinton, OK. It's a pretty cool place to come across while plodding through the Oklahoma plains. I'd say it comes up from no where, but in truth it drops down from no where. The red stone canyon walls and red clay floor made a nice place for me to put down my head for the night.
cleandirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #28
cleandirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Relieved to get to Raton and loose from a truck and trailer, I unloaded my bike, set up camp, and explored Sugarite Canyon State Park.

Nice as it was, visually the campground was a far cry from other places I would stay in the coming week. Despite a recent forest fire it was still pretty and a pleasant place to spend a couple of nights while the other Arkansas boys were still at home pining to be out west.
I even went ahead and made a quick jaunt down the road crossing into CO.

Then took a ride a few miles east of Raton to check out the Capulin Volcano National Monument.

Try as I might, I never figured out how to take a photograph that captured the scale of the crater on top of this mountain, or even include the thing in it's entirety. This arial photo I stole from the internet illustrates something of it's scale. (a bad ass will steal once and a while if it suits their purpose)

I was told the volcano formed the mountain in a period of 20-40 years. The other mountains in the area were formed in the same way, from flat plains to mountains easily within a human lifespan. Apparently there is a similar volcano forming this type of mountain somewhere in Mexico at the present time. Riding thought the volcano dotted plain to get to Capulin I felt there was something about the place but couldn't say what. After learning about how it was made, riding back to camp, I had the sensation I was flying through a prehistoric landscape. I was watching for a pterosaurs to swoop down and carry off one of the prong horned sheep along the way.
This picture looks down in the volcanos cone from it's rim and on to the parking lot and plains below.

Another view of the plains from the volcano's rim.

Walking around the circumference of the volcanic rim I got to experience prickly pears in bloom, mule deer who were browsing down in the volcano's cone, and what it feels like to come from sea level to over 8000 feet and get a somewhat intensive workout.
cleandirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #29
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,043
Great start and photos.

I'll wack that bell if I want to!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #30
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,631
Good gawd those are awesome pics. Cool clouds and great roads.

Nessman is offline   Reply With Quote