Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #61
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 896
Bravo . A most excellent ride report you are making !!
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:14 PM   #62
cleandirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
It was a great day but I don't seem to have a lot to say about it. Getting a new tire mounted on my bike did a lot to lift my spirits, as did finding an air compressor and fixing Bret's flat. Then we entered Gateway. It was fun, but also something beyond fun. I think it was the combination of Gateway's evolving landscape and the made for motorcycles road. You couldn't design a road with better curves. It was one perfect semi circle after another. Going into a curve you would see Utah like rock formations, coming out of the same curve you would be looking at the snow capped Rockies. Up to this point we had been places that I wouldn't mind revisiting without a bike, beautiful places that I had the pleasure of riding through. Gateway was different in that I can't imagine experiencing it in any other way than on a motorcycle. It was curve after curve and we took full advantage of every one. The road eventually took us out of the canyons and back to the mountains where we dropped into Ridgeway then back to Kyle's house. For me, more than any other day of the trip, this day was all about riding. At the end of the day I was dog tired and never felt better!

cleandirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:34 AM   #63
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
That is a great road and area. My wife and I rode over the La Sals from Moab to Gateway by way of John Brown Canyon, then up to Grand Junction and Colorado NM. I love that area and will be back through there next year.

"Them bulls will hook ya" Pea Eye.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:45 AM   #64
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,912
"We Don't Rent Pigs"

John Brown Canyon is a great road, just watch out for what Goose described as "moon dust"; the silty slippery stuff at towards the top; I think that by the time we hit John Brown on day 5, I was a little too whipped to fully appreciate it, although it was a hoot to kill the engine at the top and coast as far as possible west towards Moab, you can hold a pretty good tempo through there just using gravity.

Another excellent option is to run 90 across the LaSals through Bedrock; not dirt but great twisties and scenery, and very little traffic.

Gus: up north ain't a place, it's a direction!

dogjaw screwed with this post 07-10-2014 at 07:36 AM
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:16 AM   #65
Philb772
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
[QUOTE=Thumpstart92;24581475]"Hey Zach, wake up you need to meet someone"
I roll over on the shag like carpet to face the voices that beckoned me.
With my contacts out I could only see my dad, short in stature and a tall old fella with a military cut. I could only assume who this was.
"So your Mississippi Mud" is my reply

I'God you boys are having one hell of an adventure.

Is that all you boys can think about; gettin' to Ogallala and spendin' your money on whores?

Keep it coming.

"Safety Third"
Philb772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #66
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

You're right about the dust. We were 2 up on a fully loaded KTM 950. It got a little sketchy in places, but a great ride.
By the way, I went through Ogallala a couple of years ago. Not for whores, but to pay my respects to Dee Boot.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #67
dogjaw
plays well alone

Roscoe Brown: Of course I can find Texas, Peach. I just don't know if I can find July!
Old 07-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #68
Thumpstart92 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
2 t-shirts here, there's my towel. Crap where did I put my charger for the camera?
This being my first trip longer than 3 days I over packed. I ended up just alternating 2 pairs of clothes and I brought 4. Good Lord I feel like a woman.
We all loaded up our bikes. Goose is to meet us at Kyles house on his new KTM 690 to ride with us a little bit.
He finally shows up. I could hear him before I saw him. "That's a mighty fine looking seat" or "Kyle come with us and take your FJR down Owl creek pass"
Goose aint much one for waiting he'll pace around kick tires and get kinda antsy so he was ready when we finally was all packed up.
Helmet? check
Gloves? check
Luggage? check
Phones? check
Wait Flex was missing one thing. KEYS.
We stripped down his bike looked downstairs where the crew had been sleeping. Finally found them in his shorts in the bottom of the duffell bag. Hey at least we found it.

AAAAAAAAnd were off to the next portion of our adventure.

Started up a dirt road lead by our fearless leader Crpl Goose.
Slightly dusty with some sketchy spots nothing to awfully bad.

Jaw approves

Some interesting rock formations

Silver Jack reservoir where we saw a mule deer with a couple of her fawns.

Absolutely amazing little area to camp. We didn't camp there but maybe next time. This is the only place in the whole trip to CO where I saw mosquitos.

We find a fun little dirt curve with Mountains in the background. Time for a photo op

We rode out Owl Creek pass to Ridgeway where Goose parted ways. We would meet in Ouray that night for dinner with our friends.
Outside of Ouray

Stop at the waterfall at the beginning of the million dollar highway where Jaw flips his visor up and says "you boys get ready for an adventure"

A man in a kilt? Lord help us

We head on down the Million Dollar Highway. Talk about a road that will make your butt pucker up. I say I wish there was no traffic but if there wasnt I probably would have killed myself. S curve after S curve of beautiful asphalt.

We arrive in Silverton and we decide to walk around the town. We have a friend originally from Oklahoma we met through a friend. This guy sold his business in Oklahoma and bought a funnel cake shop in Silverton.
Say hello to Okie Tom.

If your in the area stop by and grab a funnel cake from a fellow inmate. Fair funnel cakes? I'll spit on them now. Whenever I see a funnel cake I'll think of Silverton.
I better stop talking about funnel cakes before my girlfriend reads this and gets jealous.....

We head on back to Ouray to meet up with Kyle, Linda, Goose and his girlfriend JoAnn.
Good dinner and better company.

This is where we would part ways for the last time on this trip. Its kinda sad saying goodbye to friends even ones that you had just met. They feel like an extended family. Goose invited us out anytime and told us "the door is always open" "Boy, quit your job and move on up here" Now you got me thinking Corporal Goose.

Head back on the Million Dollar highway. This would be the third time running it today and boy do I wish I could run it a 4th time.

We find a campsite at South Mineral right outside of Silverton. This is the second best camp spot of the trip.

Okie Tom stops by to say hello.

It was late when we finally went to sleep. Discussions about politics, diarrhea stories and the trip events kept us up kinda late talking "portant stuff"

As I zip up my sleeping bag and get settled in I hear the sound of the creek running beside me, the wind rustling through the brush, caucophony of 3 other men snoring and turning over and I think to myself where else would I rather be?

Nowhere

"Any man with any sense t'all can tell when it's sundown without you ringin that bell"
Old 07-11-2014, 05:39 AM   #69
dogjaw
plays well alone

"We Don't Rent Pigs"

Owl Creek Pass was a great set up for the rest of the trip, as we would be running a lot more dirt at altitude in the coming days, and we needed to see how our rigs would adjust. Thump and I both ride DR's and subscribe to the Kientech.com theory of Uncle Jesse says it, we do it. Jesse and Janet are 77 and 74, she's also cares for her 94 yr old blind mother, and they are the gurus of DR mods, think Yoda on a thumper, as well as the nicest people on the planet. If you want the most accurate, no BS, down home info, whether choosing you suspension, tweaking or replacing your carb, adding a GSXR pipe, etc, Jess is your man. Some of the mods he has walked us through:
Eibach/intiminators susp
TM 40 pumper carb
Seat Concepts
Oversized header/40f0 pipe
19" front, galfer rotor
Acerbis tank, etc, etc...

When we started planning this trip, I called Jesse; he suggested dropping the main jet from 152.5 to 150, and going with a 16/48 combo, switching to a 14/48 when we started riding gnarly. As the more difficult passes weren't open yet, I stayed with the 16 and had no issues cruising at 70 or maneuvering up the switchbacks.

Another great asset we have in LRK is Al's Cycle Shop; although he is a die hard KLR guy, he runs the best repair shop in town, working on everything from cruisers, sport bikes, ATV's, and his shop is old school all the way, a testament to the ways it was.

Ben is his partner/mechanic, been to BMW/triumph/Ducati schools, these guys are the real deal, located right off of i40 if you're passing through, stop in and tell them Bret sent ya.

Another great supporter of the DR crowd in particular and ADV bikes overall is Doug Reynolds Suzuki, right on I-30, if you passing through enroute to Dallas.

Goose was a gracious tour guide as always, I don't think anyone knows the asphalt and dirt roads as well as this old codger, and he's one heck of a rider as well.

We parted ways with Goose at Ridgway with plans to meet that night in Ouray to have dinner. We couldn't do a Colorado trip without checking out a dispensary, actually much ado about nothing, essentially a place to buy a plant, albeit a very expensive one. I guess what impressed me the most was all of the edibles, muffins, candy bars, fruit drinks, etc; at what point do we make it too accesible? I guess if I was suffering from a debilitating disease I might have a different outlook; my wife had cancer a few years back, and if THC would have eased her suffering, well, I would be an outlaw. I would have loved to have taken some pictures of the displays, but thought that it might be in bad taste, so we skedaddled.

After a high speed run down, and back up, then around the Million Dollar Highway, we checked out Ouray before meeting Kyle and Goose for dinner. I actually broke down and dropped a cool hundy on a Helinox camp chair, as I was tired I being the butt of jokes every time I would tip out of my wee little camp stool.

Gus: money well spent, Jake, both times!

Rivertrash left a very valued possession sitting on the sidewalk, and was distraught to the point of wailing and pulling out his ponytail; total meltdown was averted when he went back an hour later and found it exactly where he had left it sitting.

There was much rejoicing.

I hated parting ways with my good friends Kyle and Goose; I gave Goose a limp fished handshake, told him that was a USMC Special, not a wise move on my part, as he clamped down on my hand, had me dancing around the sidewalk like a toddler that has to pee. My left hand was full of leftovers for the trip back to camp, so I was defenseless; I was ready to resort to nipple twisting to get the big doofus to let me go. Once a Marine...

We camped that night at South Mineral Fork against a back drop of waterfalls and snowcap; had to ditch the leftovers, as the bears in that area don't carry shovels and wear hats, and I didn't want my tent to become a meat filled taco.

Tomorrow is another day, and what a day it was...

dogjaw screwed with this post 07-11-2014 at 02:53 PM
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #70
dogjaw
plays well alone

Jake liked to joke, he didn't like to work. I got exactly those same feelings myself. -Mr McRae
Old 07-11-2014, 04:50 PM   #71
dogjaw
plays well alone

special greetings from Colorado; wait for it...

Old 07-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #72
cleandirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Don’t let the goofy birdlike nickname fool you, Goose is a living male archetype from a bygone era. You may think, sure every other ride report on advrider is full of tales from such men. For example, this Flex fellow that everyone keeps talking about. He’s a badass, that’s what your talking about, right? No, Flex is a badass, a badass who uses phrases such as “male archetype” and carries a neti pot in his toiletries bag incase he needs a good nasal rinse. Goose is from a time when the words, male archetype, had no meaning, a time when being a man was a ridged, unquestionable, and straight forward concept, a time when the idea of a nasal rinse would have been lost on men and women alike. (I feel like I’m writing an opening monologue for the show "Wonder Years") I’d heard some stories about this unbending, ten foot tall, size twenty two boot wearing man who’s lips were a poorly functioning sort of dam meant hold back an ocean of bs. When he first walked into the room I could see all the stories were true. He comes across as a stereotype of the old, Mississippi born and bred, Marine corporal that he is. He may not have been quite ten feet tall and his shoe size may have been overestimated but hell, as far as I’m concerned, he was close enough. One thing was not over stated, the copious amounts of bs were staggering. His propensity for bull shit was infections! Bret, who is no slouch in the bs department, developed a gleam in his eye and seemed to take the hogwash as some kind of challenge. Kyle is a kind of guy with a “when in Rome...” type of life philosophy, so he jumped in too. The rest of us who were all born well after the Nixon administration just didn’t have the life experience to compete. Knowing full well we would make fools of ourselves, we entered into the game as well. The only people who were above it all were Kyle’s partner Linda and Goose’s girlfriend JoAnn. They both seemed as if they had seen enough to know the best way to make it though life was to not take any shit, be it bull shit or any other variety. Not to say they weren’t gracious, two kinder women have never existed, it’s just clear that to live among these men you must have skills in cutting though the bs.
My observations about Goose up to this point all led to a seemingly fatal and mortifying moment. He showed up on his bike to lead us though the best dirt roads Colorado has to offer. We finished our bs’n, packed our bags, suited up for the ride, and got on our bikes ready to roll. My key was not in the ignition like I had expected. I took off my gloves so I could search my pockets to no avail. “Ummm, guys, I can’t find my keys” stated with a decidedly non-badass vocal tone. Hoping beyond hope I checked my pockets under my riding gear, rechecked the riding gear, and rechecked the pockets under the gear. Goose pipes up with a sarcastic tenor, "they’re in the bottom of that duffle bag," pointing to the most inaccessible area of my luggage. I rack my brain and frantically search, my buddies join in. They are lost and I’m waiting for it to hit the fan, I have nightmare visions of Goose transforming into the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket. We searched all the possible locations both inside and outside the house. Then everything becomes clear, I was wearing my shorts when I packed my bike. Where were my shorts? You guessed it, in the bottom of the duffle bag. After stating his premonition of where I’d find the keys he never said another word about it, at least none that I heard. All the bs aside, that’s the kind of man he proved to be. With the keys located, he went on to lead us down roads and though landscapes giving us a day none of us will ever forget and a thousand of my words could never describe.

cleandirt screwed with this post 07-12-2014 at 08:16 AM
cleandirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #73
Thumpstart92 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Day 5: Silverton to Moab

Braaaaaap Braaapppp Braaaaaaaaaaap
What on the world is that sound? Were supposed to be camped in the great outdoors away from other people. Get off my lawn.
Some kid on a 2 stroke running up and down the campground oh well kid probably just wants to ride.
Plan was today to ride to Clear lake. We camped 5 miles away from it so we would just leave our luggage off.
Fletch opted to stay at camp to fix his headlight fairing which was rattlling.

We start our ascent switchback after switchback absolutely loved it.

Stop at the waterfall.

Old Mine shaft.

Now this is where it started getting kinda gnarly. Tom said he and a friend took their 1200's on it the year before no problem, but when we saw the kid on the 2 stroke turn around to get a straight shot we took a moment of consideration. Finally Bryan and I decided to give it a go heck were in Colorado the worst that could happen is we fall off a cli...... Never mind.

We make it past a rock field on a ledge and man was the ride up worth it.

This would be my favorite area of the trip.

As Bryan and I started to gear up we hear a chirping sound

. A woodchuck wanders up and begins to inspect our motorcycles.
He started with Bryans saddlebags

This should be on a KLR ad

Then he worked his way to my bike.

He liked the white one I reckon.

We meet Jaw at the falls and begin our way down back to camp.

Bryan and I roll in but no Jaw? Maybe he stopped and took a picture.

We hear a bike rolling down the hill and there he be.

Turns out he dropped his bike and broke his clutch lever.

Now what to do? Silverton is only a few miles away and I saw a shop that sold clutch levers. Could be our lucky day.
Fletch rides into town and brings back a clutch lever. The holes dont line up so what item fixes most everything?

Zipties

We gas up in Silverton and begin our way over to Ophir.

Snow drifts, Tossing snowballs to cute girls in passing Jeeps man talk about a good pass!

This would be my first "real" pass. Its just breathtaking how big it really is. Pictures don't do it justice.

We hit up Telluride and go to the falls. Kind of a hipster town I was ready to head to Moab.

We ate at Baked in Telluride and discussed our plans for the rest of the day.
Decided to head to Gateway then ride John Brown Canyon over to Moab which would put us in around 8ish
Time to hit the road.

I was glad to hit Gateway again like I've said in my previous posts its truly magical. If I keep talking about it I'll run out of adjectives

John Brown Canyon Rd. is a fantastic dirt road you can haul it on this road if you wish. But why? We enjoyed the scenery

The only patch of "moon dust" we saw that day. The KLR needed to use the litter box.

Once we crossed into Utah there were cattle all over the roads you would see something in the corner of your eye and there would 3 or 4 cows grazing.

Landscape changing to Utah.

This is where I caught my second wind. When I started seeing the classic Utah rock formations I lost in my helmet. Kicking my legs hooping and a hollering it felt like I was coming home.

We roll into a campground in downtown Moab that had showers (which for the sake of others we desperately needed)

Late night snack at the gas station.

Then back to camp next to a bush that smelled like cat pee and our trashy neighbors.

This was the best day of riding in my entire life. Not necessarily the best I've ridden but the circumstances will make me remember it for the rest of my life. I truly am thankful that I could share it with 3 very good friends.

Gus McCrae: "It's not dying I'm talking about, Its LIVING"
Old 07-11-2014, 10:36 PM   #74
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

It just keeps getting better. Fantastic scenery. The photo with the marmot on the front wheel is great.

Gus: It's just Jake being Jake, and it's a full time job.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:43 PM   #75
dogjaw
plays well alone

This was a looooong day, so full of sensory overload, that I began to feel my age; by the time we hit Moab, I was ready to forego any tent and crash on a picnic table, but I knew I would be paying for that as well...

The ascent to Clear Lake was incredible; June 30th, the sun was hitting the snow banks on the south flanks of the mountains, causing the giggling little trickles of water to become roaring waterfalls as we made our way up the increasingly difficult switchbacks. Either the road has deteriorated in the last two years since Marty and Tom summited on their 1200's, or they are just not mortal, or both. My dirt mojo hasn't been what it once was since knee surgery, so I stayed at the waterfall and let Zach and Bryan bag this summit. Just sitting quietly in the presence of such majesty was an experience I had told myself I was going to do more if on this trip, but do far had been so full of GO GO GO that I hadn't had a chance to selah, to pause and consider.

I missed the woodchuck episode, but it was probably for the best; sometimes is hard not to be involved in every story, although it's my nature. It was a pleasure to watch Brian, Zach and Fletch each relate to the wildness in their own way. On the way down, I proved the old adage "a double minded man is unstable in all his ways"; torn between paying attention to my riding and checking out the scenery, I involuntarily chose the third option, that of falling down the lowside of the switchback, thought I had broken my shoulder, in reality the clutch lever was the most bother. In our emergency stash, we had clutch and throttle cables, etc, but no levers, Flex to the rescue, returning from Silverton with a self satisfied smirk and a Honda clutch lever; he was WAY too busy patting himself on the back to offer any other assistance, seriously, he and Bryan made great, capable traveling companions, we all took turns bailing each other out of jams. We finally got everything squared away and headed up 550 towards Ophir Pass.