Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #91
cleandirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
I stayed behind to work on my fairing at Clear Lake, and again missed the ride to Canyon Lands. At the time I was feeling pretty patient about staying behind to do repairs, it's all part of the trip after all. After seeing what I missed I find my patients turning to petulancy. Thanks guys, don't you think you could have keep the pictures to yourselves and told me what a bore the rides were?
Our camp was about a hundred yards from the road to Clear Lake. During that short ride I noticed something was badly wrong with my fairing, the frame was broke. Here's pictures of my work on the fairing/headlight mount:
before

temporary repair made using half a tent stake and some zip ties, while the others were making tracks toward an idyllic alpine lake where Zach would make new best friends with a wood chuck

the permanent fix (hopefully) I made after I got home. Welded on some extra bracing so as not to miss any more amazing ride opportunities.

In Gateway, on the ride to Moab, I had a sensation that every few second my engine was momentarily cutting in and out. Watching the tachometer I could see this wasn't the case. I later realized my fork seal had leaked enough oil to cause a suspension issue and the bumps in the road made the bike feel as if it were loosing power and starting up again. I decided I had better get it worked out before leaving Moab for the ride back across Colorado and New Mexico. There was talk of rebuilding the forks with a rock, two sticks and some zip ties on the picnic table, among the sand and cat piss in the campground. After contemplating the pros and cons I decided to pay the piper and take the bike to a shop. The pipers ended up being some great guys at Mad Bro Motorsports, (formally Moab Performance Center) I told them my sob story and they took pity, working me in that same afternoon and getting the forks fixed in time for me to ride out and see Arches National Park at sunset. I was a little bummed to miss the Canyon Lands earlier in the day but had the pleasure of spending the rest of the trip riding a well behaved bike that didn't spit fork oil over the left side of the engine as well as my boot and pant leg. In addition to Arches at sunset I also witnessed a new, budding bromance between Bret and our new friend Tim. I hear Tim and Marisa are now back in Illinois but I think Bret's flame has yet to fizzle. I have come to understand Bret is hatching a scheme concerning the crashing of Tim and Marisa’s wedding!
cleandirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:06 PM   #92
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,761
My belief is that the people you meet are the mortar that holds the blocks of the journey together... I saw this traveler sitting outside a c-stop in Montrose, thought I recognized him from last year's trip.., as I walked by, he said, "hey, you're that guy from Arkansas; you're brother got hit by a drunk driver" turns out he and his girlfriend were panhandling, hit us up for cash, talked them into donating 4.00 to Trevor's recovery fund, used it to send him postcards from Silverton. It's always a party, Woodrow.

Some more coming up, stay tuned:

Oh, and...
Old 07-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #93
dogjaw
plays well alone

As we were there when they tried to take that beast of a KTM on street tires, with no gear, no water, and no clue, through the sandy switchbacks of Canyonlands, I think we should show up in our sweaty riding gear, you and Zach's legs covered in oil... And Marissa was quite the cutie; I sure hope she and Tim read this someday, great couple.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #94
cleandirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
As we were there when they tried to take that beast of a KTM on street tires, with no gear, no water, and no clue, through the sandy switchbacks of Canyonlands, I think we should show up in our sweaty riding gear, you and Zach's legs covered in oil... And Marissa was quite the cutie; I sure hope she and Tim read this someday, great couple.
Ok, I'm always up for a ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
My belief is that the people you meet are the mortar that holds the blocks of the journey together…
Dude, that's kind of profound.
cleandirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:49 AM   #95
dogjaw
plays well alone

"We Don't Rent Pigs"

I think I'm going to market my own line of fortune cookies... It's amazing what you can come up with when you take a couple of Tylenol PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:41 AM   #96
tadst1300
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Great Report/Pics

Great pics at Moab! Good seeing you for a bit last night. t
tadst1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:08 PM   #97
dogjaw
plays well alone

Hope you didn't through my leg away. I may wanna make a walkin' stick out of the bone.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:59 AM   #98
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oh, I never noticed you having accidents with ugly girls!- Clara, to Gus
Old 07-15-2014, 05:32 AM   #99
dogjaw
plays well alone

"We Don't Rent Pigs"

After the rattle trap truck woke up everyone in the camp belching smoke and retching gas at 3AM, we arose fairly early to bid adieux to paradise campground.

The availability of showers and incidental was offset by the idiotic rules(4.5 mph for motorcycles? You can't idle in first that slow, as I tried!) and crackhead construction workers, so it seemed only fitting to add our meager amount of trash to the sanitary landfill in camp 7 and skedaddle once again. Stopped for breakfast, met this cool guy,,,

We rolled hard for Durango, a long hot flat ride especially after the wonders we had experienced in the preceding days, the monotony was broken by a stop at Wilson's Arch, always have to climb up there, and it never gets old.

After wheezing and scrambling up to the arch, we saw a young woman and her old dog running like gazelles up the steep sandstone. I'm an absolute sucker for old dogs, or any dogs for that matter; as he approached I thought that he had a blue eye, turns out it was a cataract, and this was to be one if his last trips. His name was Dav, didn't catch hers, she is a social worker from Taos on her way up to Moab to do some climbing; another very classy couple.

Pulled into Durango, spied the traffic, pulled out of Durango, hightailed it for Pagosa Springs. Looking back, should have at least eaten something, as by the time we hit Pagosa everyone was hot, tired, and cranky, and some fireworks were the result... Can't have a multi day trip without having some personality issues, I guess, but they're never fun at the time.

It is what it is...

dogjaw screwed with this post 07-15-2014 at 04:19 PM
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:56 AM   #100
dogjaw
plays well alone

Another picture of Dav; what an awesome dog...

Old 07-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #101
dogjaw
plays well alone

"We Don't Rent Pigs"

We scoped out a great campsite approx 10 miles north of Pagosa in the national forest, not quite the level of Gothic or South Mineral, but very nice just the same. I set up camp and took a quick solo jaunt up the road a bit, and two elk stepped out in front of me, almost had to lay 'er down. As I had unloaded the bike, I had no camera, couldn't get to my phone in my tank bag, and there they where just standing in the road staring at me, do I started slipping the clutch, trying to ease the bike forward, when I noticed the rest of the herd standing in a thicket just to my left; now what do I do? I never saw the bull, but I heard him bugle, and the two in the road quickly answered his call and the herd disappeared into the thicket like wraiths. I went back to that spot the next morning so try to recreate the moment, saw no elk but I did find their trail, tracked it up into the woods to a pretty good sized wallow:

Was standing at the wallow feeling like Davy Crocket with my mad tracking skills, when I realized that I had left my pistol on my bike, and that, at least in my mind there were bears behind every tree doing what bears are known to do in the woods, so once again, I skedaddled. I bet even old Davy never retreated with such amazing speed and finesse.

As Pagosa is known for their hot springs, I decided I could use a good soak, but where were these springs? Where they just holes in the ground where I could park my corpulent fanny? Turns out that there are 3 locations in town that control the hot water cartel, would loved to have seen that gang war for control of "good stuff"; did they use loofahs as weapons? Drive by soakings? I can only imagine the bloodbath... Get it? Blood bath? Anyway, I picked the less pretentious of the three, which was still a good bit more sophisticated than what I'm used to at home( a horse trough would be more sophisticated), so I plunked down my 12.00 and entered the world of the weird and pampered.

It felt odd to shuck my dusty, fragrant riding gear in such a top drawer establishment, as I think my socks were standing up on their own by this part of the trip, but hey! I paid my 12.00! I'm a high roller!

They had down stairs hot tubs of varying degrees of tepidity, including one filled with ice water that would shrivel your pod down to the size of a... Well, just down there, and they all smelled like the devil's own armpits. The lady at the front said that the smell was sulfur and minerals, I think that they were possibly pumping it in from the waste water treatment plant. The prime attraction was the tubs on the roof where you could soak like an Indian if Indians had a view of downtown Pagosa.

Then it happened; a woman came up the stairs the get into the next tub; she was unique to say the least. She asked me to take some pictures of her using her phone, I'm nothing if not a helpful kind of guy. It started to get a bit odd when she started throwing some poses, decided it was time to not necessarily skedaddle, but to possibly begin sidling. She informed me that she was Joci Kat, a fact wasted on me until she insisted on me googling it... Yup, that's you!

Do a google search if you want to know more.

Very polite she was, but I decided I had spent enough time soaking in the devil's bathtub, at least it smelled like it, so I showered up and headed out the door. The lady at the desk wanted to know what was up with the tattoo lady upstairs, so I showed her my phone; her response was priceless:

"MOTHER OF PEARL!!!"

Good times...

They were having a carnival in Pagosa, great people all over the place. I really hated to go, but my big Agnes was calling my name so I headed back to camp and thoughts of bears.

dogjaw screwed with this post 07-16-2014 at 06:24 AM
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:48 AM   #102
Fortunate Son
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
We Don't Rent Pigs"

Great RR guys. Pics and commentary are good, but the interaction with friends and locals makes it special. I will do Colorado soon, but seeing as how my niece lives in Utah that may be up first. Keep up the great work.

BTW, who is the inmate with the bright orange helmet? It looks like an AFX DS41 which I had on order for four months! I was right about the color. It does stand out.

Looking for to more of a great RR. Subscribing

HI-VIZ, wear it like it works, but ride like it doesn't
Fortunate Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:00 AM   #103
dogjaw
plays well alone

"We Don't Rent Pigs"

Now don't go giving Thump the big head about that day glo lid of his, or he won't be able to wear it much longer. Then again, that might not be a bad idea as he'll have to put it on the flea market when he outgrows it, and you can pick it up cheap.

We started something new on this trip; after gassing up, try washing some else's windshield. It blows their mind when they realize that you're not doing it for a handout, and more likely than not hook you up with local info on camping, food, etc... If not, it's still good for a laugh at how they react.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:24 PM   #104
Thumpstart92 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunate Son View Post
Great RR guys. Pics and commentary are good, but the interaction with friends and locals makes it special. I will do Colorado soon, but seeing as how my niece lives in Utah that may be up first. Keep up the great work.

BTW, who is the inmate with the bright orange helmet? It looks like an AFX DS41 which I had on order for four months! I was right about the color. It does stand out.

Looking for to more of a great RR. Subscribing

guilty as charged😁 it is an afx-41 its a good helmet its not an Arai by any means but its a sharp helmet. Friends say I look like a match riding a bike through the woods. Plus the flip down visor is super
Old 07-16-2014, 07:00 PM   #105
dogjaw
plays well alone

It's not often that the last day is as epic as any on the entire trip, but this was one of those days; not just for the scenery and riding, but for the strange relationships formed. I love to ride, but meeting people on the journey made this a day to never be forgotten.

We rolled out of Pagosa, electing to forego another round of gas station cuisine in hopes of finding some authentic Mexican fare in Chama, one of the best decisions of the entire trip. I spotted a diner when we rolled into town, but Rivertrash followed his intuition, and a killer case of the munchies, when he spotted a non-descript cinder block cafe across the highway, had Fina's on the sign. Where I come from, Fina's is an old gas station, so my expectations were not high, though Trash's were. I started talking a line of BS as soon as I walked in the door, the Hispanic woman behind the counter told me in no uncertain terms to sit my butt down before she had to body slam me and make me sit down; turns out that this was Fina herself, and wasn't fixing to take any crap off of a short guy from Arkansas, so I sat down as instructed. For me, this was one if the highlights of the trip; I have never had such a phenomenal breakfast, huevos rancheros, and the obnoxious banter added just the perfect amount of spice...

It turns out there is such a thing in New Mexico as the Breakfast Burrito Byway, and Fina's is one of the highest rated, and deservedly so; if I ever recreate this journey, I would run it backwards and make it one of my first stops, then catch it again on the way back through.

I spotted a little lady in the kitchen, wouldn't smile for a picture until I told her I had to get a pic of the prettiest woman in Chama, no problems after that!!

Fina hooked us up with with bottles of her special habanero sauce; a meeting like this required more than just a sedate exit, so we went back down the road a bit so we could rattle her windows when we rolled hard out of town. Go by and tell her dogjaw sent you.