plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,921
Oh, and:

Aint much of a crime, whackin a surly bartender-Gus
Old 07-16-2014, 09:02 PM   #107
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 897
what a great ride report. You sure took some might fine pictures. Wish I had a personality so I could meet cool people like you Bret. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #108
dogjaw
plays well alone

You silver tongued devil; I now see why you have such a following with the drunk hippie chick crowd👌

You riding at Lake Sylvia this weekend? I may ride the CB up there and camp, but have to be back in the Rock Saturday AM; duty calls.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #109
Thumpstart92 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Fina's Diner is "Dogjaw approved"
Old 07-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #110
cleandirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Fina's Diner is Flex approved too!

cleandirt screwed with this post 12-14-2014 at 10:59 PM
cleandirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #111
dogjaw
plays well alone

Tomorrow: how Fletch became Flex, and chased down a train
Old 07-16-2014, 09:58 PM   #112
dogjaw
plays well alone

"We Don't Rent Pigs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
Tomorrow: how Fletch became Flex, and chased down a train

Old 07-16-2014, 11:21 PM   #113
cleandirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
The Fina's diner experience was right on up there with the Black Canyon of the Gunnison! The culinary equivalent of our ride though Gateway! Way better than the Jimmy Hendrix experience! Fina herself, well, lets just say Bret finally met his match. We had eyeballed a couple of breakfast establishments after leaving Pagosa Springs. Despite being hungry and ready to sit in one place for a while, nothing seemed quite right, as if a higher power had other plans. The other plans involved huevos rancheros for my traveling companions and a breakfast burrito for me. We hadn't even made it to the table before Bret starts in with some line about being offended that we had to seat ourselves. It was obvious we were in for a show when without missing a beat, Fina came right back at him saying, "you better sit down and shut up before I body slam you!" I was secretly hoping Bret would stand his ground so I could see Fina throw down on him, but he knew he was defeated. Bret scurried over to his chair. For good measure Fina came over and swung an elbow, just missing his chin and asked, "did you feel the wind?" I can't remember Bret's exact response but I think it included two words, yes and ma'am. Once we all came to terms with where we stood in the order of things at Fina's, we were ready to order. Being famished I was a little worried a single breakfast burrito may leave me wanting, a fear that was unfounded. First, the most beautiful plates of huevos rancheros came to our table and I was regretting my order until I saw my burrito. If I had saved some for later, which I didn't, the thing would have sufficed for all three of the day's meals. It wasn't just the size of the burrito , I haven't honestly had anything quite like it. After finding out it was picked in the top ten breakfast burritos in New Mexico Bret was wishing he had ordered the same as me. I hadn't tried the other ten burritos but I don't have to, as far as I'm concerned Fina's is at the top of that list. I was more than happy with my breakfast but the huevos rancheros looked every bit as good. With our bellies full Bret started looking for a new bit of mischief, which he found. He pointed at the woman in the kitchen and said, "I'm going to get a picture with her before I leave. Pretty soon he was putting on the charm, (he decided on the charm tact in this establishment early on after Fina threaded to hurt him.) Next thing I know we are in the kitchen and I'm taking photos of Bret with his arms around the staff. Like breakfast on the first day in Raton, the other patrons ended up joining in our banter and offered route advise, as if we were visiting with a bunch of extended family. As we left I was making a vow to one day, eat at Fina's again. It's a long way from Little Rock but worth it.

cleandirt screwed with this post 07-16-2014 at 11:47 PM
cleandirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #114
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,652
GREAT ride report guys! Dogjaw, I'm glad you didn't give up riding! I always enjoy riding and hanging out with you and zach! I hope to meet your mates too!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #115
dogjaw
plays well alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
GREAT ride report guys! Dogjaw, I'm glad you didn't give up riding! I always enjoy riding and hanging out with you and zach! I hope to meet your mates too!

One of my favorite stories is you busting out the tiger stripes on my DR, "yeah, I like 'em, ON A TRIUMPH!!", or watching you fail miserably at assembling a Kermit chair due to severe alcohol consumption, thought you would end up destroying the dang thing. We read your report front to back to better prepare for our trip, and still were blown away... Come on back up and ride with Buttercup!
Old 07-17-2014, 11:42 AM   #116
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,652
Haha! Good stuff! Yes, I so very much want to come back and ride soon!

Thanks for the compliments on the ride reports; y'all tell a very good story and capture the awesomeness very well! Maybe we can all ride out there together one day.

Buttercup.
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #117
dogjaw
plays well alone

"We Don't Rent Pigs"

we headed out of town in a blaze of glory, only to be distracted by a very cool old train station, the Cumbres and Toltec Railroad. We're all suckers for anything mechanical that makes that much smoke and noise, so we had to whip in there and check out the show...

the ticket agent heard me talking to Fletch; when he walked out, she asked me if his name was really Flex, or was that his nickname; I told her that it was his nickname, as he was a body builder, just didn't look like it, as he was trying to cut weight in preparation for Mr Universe. I could tell that she was trying to sort it out in her mind; as Fletch was wearing his much-oversized jacket, it made it difficult to see if he was hiding a massive set of guns in there somewhere.

I asked her what time the train pulled in so we could gt some pics of it belching smoke and steam; she unwittingly gave me the best gift she possibly could have when she said,

"the train left 30 minutes ago; if you ride like hell, you can catch it at the pass"

a challenge? to ride like hell? to catch a steam train? on a motorcycle? at an actual pass? and where is this "pass" you speak of?

this was no time for questions, so we ripped out of town in pursuit; we knew we had hit pay dirt when we saw a column of black smoke billowing up from behind a stand of trees. We poured on the juice until we crossed a set of narrow gauge tracks in plenty of time to jump off of the ticking bikes and shoot the train coming through the pass...

all that was missing from this encounter was bandannas and revolvers; would love to have swung up on the train and robbed the men and tipped our helmets to the wimmenfolks, but better judgement prevailed, that, and the lack of revolvers, so we let them go unmolested.

dogjaw screwed with this post 07-17-2014 at 07:10 PM
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #118
rgp332
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Great ride report Guys !!
Did anybody keep a route ,that you rode? This looks like a ride I would like to do !!
I must have sumthin about 08's
rgp332 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:44 PM   #119
dogjaw
plays well alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgp332 View Post
Great ride report Guys !!
Did anybody keep a route ,that you rode? This looks like a ride I would like to do !!

unfortunately, I put the "a" in ADD, and never thought to map the route, but as this trip is etched into my brain, I will go back to google maps and give it a whirl... until then:

day 1: Raton to Trinidad, west in 12, north on 520(dirt ) then 69 to 50 across Monarch Pass(dirt) to Crested Butte, camped at Gothic, a must see to believe.

day 2: across Kebbler Pass to Paonia(home of the world's best weed, or so we were told by the guy wearing the pot leaf emblazoned shirt), south on 92 along the north rim of the Black Canyon(another must see), then attempted to find Owl Creek Pass, got lost,(don't do this), had catastophic tire failure, (or this), ended up at Kyle's in Montrose...(we can do this, you probably shouldn't, although Kyle is so cool he probably wouldn't mind)

Day 3: Montrose to Gateway loop, back via Naturita; a religious experience.

Day 4: give Goose a call and have him lead you on a ride across Owl Creek Pass to Ridgway, unless he's having a senior moment and can't find his kevlar- lined Depends, then south down 550, camp at south Mineral fork campground.

Day 5: climb up to Clear Lake( a must do), over Ophir Pass(another must do) to Telluride, then up to Gateway,then across John Brown Canyon to Moab, camp behind the Texaco, don't exceed 4.5 MPH or look at the naked Japanese men prancing around the showers.

Day 6: Canyonlands to Shaffer switchbacks, out to Potash Rd(had to put on my "O" face"), then run Arches Nat'l Park at sunset.

Day 7: Moab to Durango(do not stop, what a congested mess) on to Pagosa Springs(watch out for oversized tattoo models), camp north of town in the national forest.

Day 8: Pagosa to Chama, up across Cumbres Pass, then down to cross the Rio Grande Gorge at Taos, then across Eagle's Nest back to Raton.

Day 8.5: mind numbing soul sucking trip across I-40 home to Arkansas.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #120
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 897
Sure have enjoyed your ride report. You guys sure know how to enjoy yourself. Doesn't look like I'll make Sylvia this weekend.
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote