Old 08-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #211
Deanwife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
[QUOTE=bk brkr baker;24772517]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanwife View Post
You got it right. Found this US origin info on Wikipedia:
Southern farmers were given about eight dollars an hour to sow topsoil with the invasive vine.

Would you believe people were paid to plant noxious plants? $8 an hour sounds pretty good for wages of that day too. Strange.

/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure this is an example of wiki getting it wrong.
If the gov paid $8 an hour to plant kudzu , then the entire country would have been covered by it.
The first minimum wage standard was inacted in 1938 at $.25 per hour.
You are so right that Wikipedia got it twisted. (Thanks for the correction... I knew it was strange.) Other references to the $8 comes up as $8 per acre which makes more sense but still a hefty sum for introducing a noxious plant. Of course things didn't get out of hand until the 50's when everyone realized the stuff was shading out the native plants and very hard to eradicate. By then it was REALLY out of control.
Deanwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:16 AM   #212
Deanwife
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
And Dman is off for a day of riding the grid sections of Oklahoma TaT
Guess my picture didn't take. Nice meeting you Dean.
What? No ride report update? I was looking forward to that.
Wow, you aren't kidding when you say grid sections... they couldn't be more square.
Thanks again for the pit stop Throttlemeister!
Old 08-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #213
Deanwife
Adventurer

Made it to Colorado!

Well he's not doing very well on keeping the RR up to date but he is out of no-man's land and into Colorado now. He is set up for tent space La Veta CO tonight. Let's hope he can find a good WiFi location and update us all.
Just to share a couple of comments he shared with me while in OK... OK is boring!... Spoiler alert: crash count is now 4! But he and the bike are fine. Ruts and silky sand at slow speeds he said... the mud almost got him a couple times but he managed to stay upright... OK was hot (95 degrees in the evening)... and boring in case I forgot to mention!
Hope to hear from you about your adventure soon Deanman!
Old 08-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #214
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,561
nice to see you keeping things rolling Deanwife. my own wife was not as supportive during my TAT ride.. lol.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #215
Deanwife
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
nice to see you keeping things rolling Deanwife. my own wife was not as supportive during my TAT ride.. lol.
Thanks for the comment VintageSpeed! I'm just glad he left me at home this trip!We did Yellowstone on the Gold Wing last summer so I had my fun then. He wants to drag me to Tennessee on the Gold Wing next.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #216
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Hey Deanman/Wife...

Last night, we had guest here that found us on Tent Space thread. He lives 15 miles East of you guys

He's doing a lap around the US, only on a Street bike

Keep havin Fun!
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:03 PM   #217
Deanwife
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
Hey Deanman/Wife...

Last night, we had guest here that found us on Tent Space thread. He lives 15 miles East of you guys

He's doing a lap around the US, only on a Street bike

Keep havin Fun!
Is that Canine? I've heard about him and seen his tent space post but I've never met him. Love his handle... because he's a dentist!
Good for you for taking in these folks!
Old 08-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #218
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Is that Canine? I've heard about him and seen his tent space post but I've never met him. Love his handle... because he's a dentist!
Good for you for taking in these folks!
Nope, it's not Canine, name is Jeff & he's not on the TS....yet!

It's great hosting ADV'rs. After Deanman we had 3 different International travelers. Italy/Russia, & 2 different couples from Australia.
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #219
BlueByU06
Ribbon Rider

Oddometer: 242
Sorry for off topic. But where can I find tent spaces.
Tia
2005 Klr 650
BlueByU06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #220
Deanwife
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByU06 View Post
Sorry for off topic. But where can I find tent spaces.
Tia
The forum called trip planning... The first thread is a "sticky" and the first selection will give you a google map with tags at all of the tent spaces. It is so cool. When you click on a tagged tent space it will bring up a description that the inmate posted.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #221
Deanwife
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
It's great hosting ADV'rs. After Deanman we had 3 different International travelers. Italy/Russia, & 2 different couples from Australia.
Wow! You guys have a lot of action from tent space. We must be too far away from where people want to go or something... our tent space doesn't get very much activity. We had NomadGal here last summer before she took off for Alaska and one other guy from Maine but that's about it from ADVRider. We have had a few folks from the local group "Around the Sound Riders" a couple of times. We're stuffed into the corner of the states but still, I don't understand why more people don't visit here. It's so beautiful! People are missing out.
Tent space people rock!
Old 08-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #222
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Tent space people rock!
Yes they do! We had our first tent space guest this summer, and he said of the three different ones he used on the trip, he was the first guest at all of them. Great interesting guy, and the perfect guest. Really enjoyed meeting him. I expect most all ADV travelers are similar.
boatpuller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #223
Backoutonthehighway
I ride w/ Lewddites

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanman View Post
Pretty lazy day today, mostly worked on the bike but also went downtown Des Moines for some bacon wrapped tater tots!
Bacon wrapped tater tots!? Oh hell, I'm late to the party, but I'm IN!

http://backoutonthehighway.com
Backoutonthehighway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #224
CHICKENHAWK
window licker

Oddometer: 74
???

Deanwife have you heard from Deanman?
Old 08-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #225
Deanwife
Adventurer

Deanman is fine... the bike, not so fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKENHAWK View Post
Deanwife have you heard from Deanman?
Troubles started in Colorado on Thursday. His battery died outside and north of Trinidad. He push started it but it just died again. He called AAA and had him and the bike towed to LaVeta where he was due to stay at Old2Wheeler's place. Hooked it up to a charger overnight only to wake up to the same old dead battery. Rod was nice enough to drive Dean and the bike to a Suzuki shop in Pueblo, an hour north. They told him his battery was fried and sent him on his way with a new battery.

Getting late last evening, he decided to stay in town at a campground and wake up nice and early to head to the local library to work on his ride report before going back to the trail where he left off. He'd been feeling guilty for not being able to download pictures, just not finding a good internet connection to get the job done. He mentioned 400 pictures!

I will let him tell what happened because I don't really know... I had been out of cell phone range for a while but when I drove back into town I was bombarded with text messages from him... something about a hot seat. Turns out his wire harness is toast.

He's not completely out of the water yet... we have a friend in Salt Lake City (inmate Actifenpleinair) who is, as I type, driving to pick him and the bike up.

Looks like he's down until he orders a harness and reassembles the bike.
Still in the deciding mode, he will probably choose to fix it and head home from SLC.

I'm thinking that he will have a little more time and a decent internet connection to update us all when he arrives at Lou's sometime tomorrow.

Thanks for your concern ChickenHawk. I'm sure you weren't the only one wondering what happened to Deanman.