User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2014, 07:52 PM   #16
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Hey, thanks everyone for coming along. Getting close to leaving,

So, about my high tech gadgets. Most of us carry smartphones, and I'm no different, using a non state-of-the-art iPhone 4s. I also navigate with a Garmin Zumo 660, and listen to tunes through my Sena SMH-10 comm unit. In addition, I'm bringing my iPad and a wireless keyboard, a camera, etc.

But how to charge all this stuff?

I was asked about this today so I thought I would share my solutions...

I've messed with various methods of connecting chargers to the bike, and have settled on the simple 2-prong ASE connector,

to which I connect my GPS, and a homemade double USB port,

that then powers my iPhone, and whatever else needs charging. While on the road I can charge my Sena unit or camera batteries, while powering my phone and GPS. This way I arrive at camp for the night with everything fully charged, and don't need to worry about depleting the motorcycle battery.
I've learned that these little USB ports (and the GPS mount) do draw a small amount of current even when nothing is plugged in to them, and so I'm in the habit of unplugging them at night, even though one night would not likely cause a problem. It's just a habit I've tried to develop.
I like the ASE connectors because they are reliable and don't rattle loose and rust out like the cig outlets, they are simple, and cheap. Also much smaller than the cig lighter plugs and sockets.

A note on the Zumo cradle: When purchased from Garmin it comes with an octopus like collection of plugs and connectors for audio in and out, a spare antenna and such, and one is supposed to just coil up and tuck away any that go unused. Since I planned on using none of them, and I stumbled across a writeup of someone hacking theirs, I did mine too.

Now it's powered by the same ASE plug that feeds everything else.

This makes it way more compact, plus I can move it from bike to bike. (I made mine long enough to fit my Goldwing, so it's a bit longer than needed on the DR)

My camera is a Lumix TS3 point & shoot,

it's waterproof and rugged, and works well. I have a little card reader*that plugs into my iPad, so I can dump the pix to the iPad then upload them to Smugmug.

I'm using a Logitech bluetooth keyboard

for any major data entry, it's a pretty nice little keyboard, and the case makes a stand for the iPad although its case does the same thing. I like it a lot, although it is hard to use without a picnic table or some way to get it stable and at the right height.

For this trip I enabled cell service on the iPad, although I plan to use free WIFI wherever I can find it. Still, I wanted the ability to upload photos without WIFI for this trip so I sprung for the $40 for 2 months service.

For the GPS I used to have a 60cx, but it died after about 4 years, so I ended up replacing it with the Zumo. Expensive it was, but it is a pleasure to use, has a much bigger screen, and came with lifetime maps. For this trip I loaded the 16GB micro SD card with the TAT tracks, and the Trans South Dakota Adventure Trail (TSDAT) tracks I got from an inmate here.

I mostly use the Sena

for music from the iPhone, but occasionally will pair it with another rider. I've also answered the phone occasionally, but don't think I've ever initiated a call using my voice. Much has been written about pairing the Zumo, iPhone and Sena which I won't get into here, but my MO is to pair the phone to the Sena and just not use bluetooth on the Zumo. Works for me. I have two of the Sena units, so when the battery dies on one, I can just stop and swap it for the charged spare, hook the first one to the charger, and continue on my way. Same thing with the three camera batteries.

I just got my first SPOT device,

the Gen 3, and although it can be powered from the bike, I've opted to strap it to my camelbak and run it off its own batteries, which I no doubt will have to replace more than once. Still I figure it's better to have the device strapped to me rather than the bike, and the SPOT is no longer waterproof when the usb port is in use. I've also learned that usb connections don't like dust, water and vibration very much.
There is a lot of info available about the SPOT and its pros and cons. After looking into it and similar devices, I would have liked to get the Delorme Inreach SE, but its high price and expensive service plan made the choice easier. The SPOT gives me and my wife peace of mind, as well as a really cool record of my trip.

Oh and I figured out how to put the spotwalla link in my sig now too.

Wow, getting close. I'm so excited! I'll be on the road early Tomorrow morning. (I just can't wait until Monday)

Whoo hoo! Next post will likely be from the road. Stay tuned...
Deanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:32 PM   #17
Deanwife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Hey Baby,

Be safe and stay in touch! Us girls will be missing you!

We'll be following along too.

Love you!
M
Deanwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:07 PM   #18
Molonlabemike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Looking forward to the first road report, safe travels
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #19
Deanwife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
The adventure begins!

Dean left about 10 this morning. It was only slightly wet out. Dance around those rain clouds Dean!

http://dandms.smugmug.com/TAT-2014/S...P1090505-M.jpg
Attached Images

Deanwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #20
NCJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,159
Old 06-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #21
Lotus54
Ngana

Oddometer: 176
Should be fun!

I'll be watching
Mark

(!Also from PA)
Old 07-01-2014, 12:55 PM   #22
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

I'm sitting in the Kooskia Cafe in Idaho. Free wifi, but osting from the iPad is proving frustrating
Half the time I grab a link from smugmug and go back to the RR, everything disappears! I need a real computer!

I left about 10am in a light rain.

Stopped at a car show iron the way out of town:

Took a short side route:

More soon...
Old 07-01-2014, 01:07 PM   #23
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

. I only got a few drops until I hit Quilcene, then of course got wet over Walker Mountain as usual. Pretty low tide as I rode down the canal,

nice marine smell all the way. I took the McLeary exit and as I slowed on the off ramp, a bee or some kind of stinging insect nailed me right in the neck! Unsurprisingly, it stung for a bit, but luckily I'm not alergic or sensitive to bee stings so I just kept going. The left side of my neck is a bit on the red side but no other ill effects.
I followed Mox-Chelalis road South, out of McCleary, but got screwed up somewhere and didn't quite follow the route I'd written down (and left at home), but I made it to I-5 and Hiway 12 without hitting the freeway at all. Some nice back roads, including Michigan Creek, and Ingalls Rd. Cool.*

I stopped in Atia, or Adia, or something like that, at a little tiny park. Or I guess it was a park. It had a medium size picnic table under a cover just barely big enough for it, and the strange thing was the table and benches were really tall. When sitting on the bench I couldn't even touch my feet to the ground! Weird. A table built for Doug. But I ate my sandwhich and commented on Michele's post on FB. She put up a shot of me all packed up, geared up and ready to go, in front of the garage. I wonder if she posted up on ADVrider... But I have no connectivity here so II can't tell.
Continuing East on 12, I stopped in Packwood for a candy bar for desert and *tried to use the bathroom to fill up my water bladders, but it was NASTY in there! So I went across the street to the little coffee stand and asked the cute coffee girl to fill up my camelbak and Dromedary, which she did. I tipped her a buck and thanked her profusely, and she said she was glad to help.
Last year Michele and I stopped and camped on our last night at this cool little site next to a stream. Michele suggested I stay there tonight and I thought "great idea". So a few miles East of Packwood I saw a familiar looking FS road and took it, and sure enough about 2 miles up, there it was!

I was elated that I found it so easily, because I really wasn't sure when I took the turn. So I parked it for the night.*

I'm the only one in the campground, and it's nice to just sit here and relax after riding all day. I had some anxiety and stopped a few times to check my rear wheel (did I forget the spacer??) No, it's fine. Is all my gear still lashed on? Yup. But I'm pretty sure I forgot my 2 spare camera batteries. Bummer. Soon as I can tomorrow I'll find some cell service and make arrangements for Michele to mail them to Diane. Hopefully.
Somehow I goofed up my odometer when getting gas, so I don't have a milage for the day. So I zeroed it after fueling up, and a while later looked down and it was at 200 some miles! So I must be hitting it somehow or??? Not really sure.

Dinner is a Rib eye from home:

Damn good!
Total lies for day 1: 276
Horizontal bike events: 0 so far!
Old 07-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #24
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Found the library!

and a real computer, so hopefully I can get caught up a little faster now...

Day 2 Mon June 30
I had set my alarm for 5:30 but I ended up going back to sleep until almost 8:30. What the hell, it is a vacation, right? But I did want to get a msg to Michele about my batteries, and I knew I would stand a better chance of getting them on Thursday if she shipped them before noon. I had some oatmeal and was back on the road by about 9:45.
Hiway 12 was beautiful, the sun was shining,

and I felt great!
Here's a glamour shot with Rainier in the background:

I told the gps to route me to Stanley avoiding highways, and had fun picking roads I thought would parallel and rejoin the hiway, and did pretty well. I ended up in sunny side about 1 so I went to Safeway for some tortillas, a one serving thing of cream cheese, a small bag o salad mix and a bag of pepperoni slices. I went to the park a block away that I'd spotted on the way in to town, and had a nice lunch. I also filled up my water bladders.
More nice roads:

I kept heading East, and took a couple gravel ridge roads outside of Yakima I think. Black snake was one that was pretty cool, another was called Buiscuit ridge. Damn cool.

All this took up a lot of time, and I kept thinking I would find a campsite along the road somewhere.

I considered 3 or 4 places, all of which were pretty bad for one reason or another, and was getting pretty desperate when I finally spotted a large open area on the right. It looked like a county road dept site, with a few gravel piles here and there, and a lot of open space. I settled for a small clearing in some trees in the back, and set up my tent just as the light was fading.
Dinner was left over steak, a tortilla, and some lettuce. I didn't bother cooking anything.
There are some geese in the water next to me and they are honking up a storm. Hey! Shut up! I want to go to sleep!

Total miles for the day: 394
Horizontal bike events: 1 (I dropped it turning around on a narrow dead end road, sorry no pic.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #25
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
This is gonna be good! I'm in.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #26
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Day 3 so far

I woke up nice and early this morning. Had my coffee and oatmeal, and was on the road by about 8am. I did have a little mishap this morning
I loaded some stuff into the R pannier and turned around to hear a "whump". Sure enough, the bike was taking a nap. This time it left a mark:

Bummer. And worse, the crack I had welded in January opened up again:

So I'll have to watch that...

Anyway, here's a shot of my campsite this morning:

And one from the highway looking down onto it:

As I put my helmet on I noticed this:

which sucks! No tunes! Not sure if this occured when the bike toppled and sent the helmet rolling on the ground, but I'm guessing so cause it was fine last night. Sorry Deanwife, I will be spending a little more money. I will order a new one from Sena and have it shipped to one of my upcoming destinations.

Not wanting to stay on 12 the whole time, I routed my way to Peck, ID

along some beautiful gravel roads:

and

Some 60mph gravel:

then on to Nez Perce, where what do I see but this!

I'm part of the committee that is bringing this to Port Angeles in August. I looked around for the driver to say hi but couldn't find the rig anyhere. What a coincidence. Hi Mike!

Downtown Nez Perce:

, then some more fine roads to Kamia and Kooskia:

where I am now.

Next it's down to McCall, where the Kooskia Rangers told me to check in with the McCall Rangers and see if I can get across the Payette Nat'l Forest towards Stanley without using any pavement. My next hard deadline is to meet an old friend in Stanley at noon on Thursday, then we'll ride down to Hailey ID to celebrate the 4th.

Stay tuned for more...
Old 07-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #27
actifenpleinair
SLC on an XT350

Oddometer: 19
Love that Chicken Coop Start!

Have Fun Dean! will watch when I can.

by the way this is Lou
actifenpleinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #28
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Looks like a great ride...
Signed Up
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #29
Earache
Hola!

Oddometer: 235
Looking good, Dean
I'm in.
Earache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:03 PM   #30
langstang96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Coast to Coast and back - Deanman's turn on the TAT

Are you following a portion of the Idaho Backcountry Discover Route? Looking at the route posted on the Best of Montana, there is a ghost town in Custer, which is near Stanley, population 67.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

langstang96 screwed with this post 07-01-2014 at 11:07 PM Reason: incorrect spelling
langstang96 is offline   Reply With Quote