Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2014, 04:51 AM   #46
bluestar
misfit

Oddometer: 764
Great updates. Keep them coming when you can. Sux about the lost pix.

Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #47
yakawars59
n00b

Oddometer: 3
This is so awesome Dean! I am taking a trip vicariously through you with the help of your pics.and posts. I really like the style of your story telling. Now i fear i might be hooked and will need to start searching for an adventure type bike. Stay safe my friend. Looking forward to the next installment.
yakawars59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #48
mortalsphere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Subscribed

I'm just learning about all of these wonderful rides, such as the TAT. I'm excited to see your trip unfold. Godspeed and have fun!
If you are at peace you are living in the present.”
-Lao Tzu
mortalsphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #49
Deanwife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanman View Post
I just figured out how to get my phone pics up to Smugmug (I thought I'd had it set to do that automatically) so here is the view from the deck of the Bridge Street Grill in Stanley

Tough to have to look at that all day!

And the obligatory food pic of my delicious smoked trout eggs benedict

OK, off to bed I go!
The smoked trout looks yum. Good choice.
Deanwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #50
Deanwife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Help me understand why Spotwalla keeps changing the starting point. Does it only share a rolling two days at any one time? Boo! I want to see the whole trip.
Off to Riverton tomorrow? Say "hi" to the Jackson's for me. And don't forget to thank Diane for the 4th of July stop.
Deanwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #51
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Connectivity and software my biggest challenges

Hi everyone,
I'm back from the parade, in the cool of my host's basement. The good news is I found my lost pics, and I am intending to repost day 4 with pics. The bad news is her computer freezes all the time, and I lost about an hour of work this morning when my iPad froze and everything I'd written was gone. So here goes again.

Day 4 with pics

Woke up and made coffee, struck camp, and was bummed to see this (hard to tell in the pic but the aluminum tent pole is cracking)

I may have to find an REI soon...

Got on the road at 7:58 after a quick cup of coffee. Turns out I was 8.5 miles from Burgdorf,

which was closed down anyway. Not really much to see, just some cabins and a few old buildings.

More 60MPH gravel.

Frrom there I followed the road down into McCall for gas,

and a check with the friendly Ranger, Robert, who, after checking the latest update, told I could get over the gravel roads through Yellow Pine, and down into Stanley

So I took Lick Creek road out of McCall, and had a beautiful ride up to Yellow Pine, a town of 35 people in the winter, and many more in the summer.

Here is a shot of a popular rock climbing place. I decided to forgo the rock climbing this trip. Too dangerous, don't you know.

I was surprised to see an Espresso sign on a little trailer at one end of town,

so I stopped and visited with June, the proprietor, for a while. She and her husband used to run the Warm Lake Lodge nearby, but retired to Yellow Pine, and now snowbird in Arizona in the winter. She sells coffee for something to do. She let me fill up my camelbak and water bladder with ice and freezing cold water! Thanks June! You rock!

From there I headed South, down 413,

a nice twisty gravel road with awesome views.

I took a little side trip up up this really steep and rutted 2 track, with a sign that said there was a lake at 6 miles and another at 10, but turned back after about a mile when it turned from challenging to really freaking difficult. I should have shot a couple pics of that, it was gnarly. But I didn't want to crash, and it was pretty much a certainty if I tried to keep going on on that road, so I headed back to the mainline and continued South.

When I got to the pavement again,

I saw a sign for Warm Lake, and being only 9 miles away, I headed for it. At the top of a hill which turned out to be the summit of the climb from the lake basin, I ran into a group of about 8 bicyclists,

and stopped to chat. They were from Portland, Seattle, and Montana, and had gotten together to ride a week long loop they'd found somewhere. They had just pedaled up from Warm Lake.

Holy Crap! I knew it was downhill to the lake, but it was a steep descent

that switched back again and again,

with really tight turns. Damn fun, but I couldn't imagine pedaling up that sucker! And in 80+ temps! They were all young and buff, but still, what a workout. Probably 3 or 4 miles of steep ascent with no relief until the top. Hard core for sure.

Warm Lake turned out to be a bit of a tourist trap, at least by my standards. I didn't check the temp of the lake.

At that point I was starting to think about finding a place to camp, and had already burned up a good bit of gas, so I searched and found the nearest gas to be in Cascade, about 25 miles away.

After thinking about it, I decided to play it safe and top off, even if it meant a bit of pavement to get there. But what a bit of pavement it was! Yet another well maintained twisty windy road through awesome scenery. I was really feeling good, and riding well too, at least it seemed that way. Carving through one corner after another for miles, with a big smile on my face. After a while it straightened out though, and the last few miles into town were pretty, but boring.
I went straight to the gas station and while there I talked to a guy on a BMW, I think it was a K bike of some sort? Sorry I'm not up on my BMWs. He said he also had a Honda 650L dual sport. Matt, if your with us, it was nice meeting you and chatting at the gas pump.

So back the way I'd come, past Warm Lake, up that awesome set of switchbacks, and back onto the gravel road 413 where I settled on Buck Mtn Campground. It's a tiny campground with 3 sites, kind of a crappy little place, but has a nice stream running next to it, has a pit toilet, and picnic tables. Good enough! My site was not next to the water,

but close enough to hear the stream.

I jumped into my swim trunks and went and laid down in the stream. brrr! but it felt great! I also washed some clothes in a ziplock bag, and later even took a shower with my solar shower. (Don't worry, no pics!)
It didn't have a chance to warm up completely but was not too cold at all.

Cooked up some dinner and typed up my notes from the day, and started a small fire in the fire ring hoping to drive some of these mosquitoes away. They are pretty thick :(

A friendly deer visited me

Towards dusk I hiked up the hill on the other side of the road for a shot of the campground.

One kind of freaky event happened: The breeze had been blowing a bit on and off, and during a moment of no wind at all, I heard a huge crack and crash up the hill (near where I got the pic from) and saw a rather large burnt tree topple down. I guess they fall pretty frequently being all burnt and dead, but it was still strange to witness it, and it was LOUD! For a moment I thought it was some yahoo with fireworks, but no, just the tree. If a tree falls in a forest and... never mind.

So that should fill in the blanks a little bit.

Total miles: 262
Bike nap count: Still holding at 2
Deanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:58 PM   #52
Swampyankee1
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hey Deanman, I'm enjoying your pictures and posts. I'm part of a party of 3 planning to leave Tellico Plains on Aug 9. Maybe we will run into you. Good luck.
Swampyankee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #53
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanwife View Post
Help me understand why Spotwalla keeps changing the starting point. Does it only share a rolling two days at any one time? Boo! I want to see the whole trip.
Off to Riverton tomorrow? Say "hi" to the Jackson's for me. And don't forget to thank Diane for the 4th of July stop.
Hi Baby!

Hmmm. Well, I've been turning the SPOT off at night and on again each morning, and then hitting the OK and then the Tracking buttons.

I just checked the Spotwalla page and indeed, found it only displaying 2 days. However, if you go to the Adjustmens box on the left, set the history to All, and click Go, it will display the whole trip. Don't forget to click the Go button or it won't work. I don't know why it defaults to 2 days

I've put off my Riverton visit until Sunday, as I realized it's over 400 miles from here to there and I don't want to do that all in one day. So I'll find somewhere in the middle to camp out on Saturday night.

You know me, I'm always polite. And I really can't thank her enough for the hospitality. Laundry, shower, a real bed, and it's nice and cool in here! Couldn't ask for more, and the price is sure right!

By the way, I should explain to our viewing audience out there in the tubes of the interwebs, that Diane is my big sisters best friend from HS, whom I had not seen since my Sisters wedding 28? years ago!!
I was mildly corrupted by them as a young teenager, when I would occasionally get to sneak out and go to parties with them. I recall one time at a house up by 80 Acres, and my feet actually got wet from all the beer on the floor, and the room was so hazy you couldn't see the other wall. Must have been 500 people there. Good times.

So we've had fun catching up..

Hope the bit about SPOT works for everyone, and maybe I'll figure out how to make the page display all history by default.

More to come...
Old 07-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #54
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Day 6 Friday, July 4

Today I went to a parade. Check it out:

Just before the official parade start

Diane in her Red Hat getup, ready to Be Happy!

And the first vehicle down the road

Followed by

and

and the cheerleaders

and horses

Cool old trucks

more horses

And the Red Hats. A few shots of them doing the Happy Dance in front of the judges

http://dandms.smugmug.com/TAT-2014/D.../M/image-M.jpg

Diane putting her heart into it!

And since this is a Motorcycle forum, this caught my eye so here it is

I'm happy that I've secured stays at friends on Sunday night in Wyoming, and am aiming for Des Moines IA to stay with another friend next weekend, so that is reassuring.

No miles ridden today,

Bike is still vertical in the back yard.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #55
FongMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Thumb

"Motorcycle spontaneous repositionings"

Great report Dean!!
FongMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #56
jerrybiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Great RR

A RR I have dreamed about. About 6 years ago I rode 130 miles with a friend on the TAT in AR. Great ride & pictures. I!m subscribe.
jerrybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #57
Mud-Ectomy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Well done report! I'll be following!
Mud-Ectomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #58
MOTOBRUNETTI
MotoBrunetti

Oddometer: 7
I'm following, what a fun I way to spend a couple of weeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutDad View Post
What an AWESOME trip!
Loving the photos and the backroad meandering!
MOTOBRUNETTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:34 AM   #59
GoDoMore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
chair

I like the Kermit Chair..is it ok sitting low? I thought about getting the leg extensions...I am an old fart (59 tomorrow ) and it is sometimes hard to get up form something that low.
Loving this report..keep up the good work..SAFE RIDING
78 Yamaha DT-400 what fun
2008 KLR650
GoDoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #60
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDoMore View Post
I like the Kermit Chair..is it ok sitting low? I thought about getting the leg extensions...I am an old fart (59 tomorrow ) and it is sometimes hard to get up form something that low.
Loving this report..keep up the good work..SAFE RIDING
I like my Kermit, I'm an old fat fart....You might have to roll out of it ...I have the leg extensions...

I ride in the east and find that I don't have much use for it....most campgrounds have picnic tables. ...I just did the TAT out to Ark and didn't use it once.

If you have a campfire at night, that's when its usable or if you cowboy camp.
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote