Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #61
Deanwife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDoMore View Post
I like the Kermit Chair..is it ok sitting low? I thought about getting the leg extensions...I am an old fart (59 tomorrow ) and it is sometimes hard to get up form something that low.
Loving this report..keep up the good work..SAFE RIDING
Dean loves his Kermit chair! He would not go on any adventure without it. I'm not sure if he even knew about the leg extenders when he bought the chair and he's too cheap to buy them anyway. But as he gets older... We shall see what happens but I'm betting that one day he will buy the extenders too. Yes, they are great for stealth camping. Can't always move those picnic tables. The Kermit packs up in a nice carrier bag and he straps it to one of his panniers. He has a homemade table that he packs around too, just in case he has to create his own campsite (happens often enough), he will have a place to cook up some grub.
Deanwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:06 PM   #62
FongMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Thumb

Was that you just West of Lander Wy???? 2 riders on thumpers....

FongMan screwed with this post 07-06-2014 at 06:43 AM
FongMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #63
Keel&Chine
Skilled Lurker

Oddometer: 9
Nice adventure

Ok, I'm a little late to the thread, but finally got caught up and subscribed today.

I find it quite amusing that not only have you cracked a panier, you've also managed to crack a tent pole. I'm starting to notice a pattern Dean where anything metal on your bike requires re-welding during trips. Any emergency visits yet to a local welder like on the WABDR? Ha!

Keep the rubber side down, and remember it's a lot harder to weld aluminum, so focus on only breaking the steel parts...
Keel&Chine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #64
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keel&Chine View Post
Ok, I'm a little late to the thread, but finally got caught up and subscribed today.

I find it quite amusing that not only have you cracked a panier, you've also managed to crack a tent pole. I'm starting to notice a pattern Dean where anything metal on your bike requires re-welding during trips. Any emergency visits yet to a local welder like on the WABDR? Ha!

Keep the rubber side down, and remember it's a lot harder to weld aluminum, so focus on only breaking the steel parts...

Hey, I didn't crack it! It cracked all by itself. And I'm trying to focus on not breaking anything.

So I can't figure out who you are but you must have been on the WABDR. Remember Dead Baby Hill? Epic!
Deanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:10 PM   #65
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Fireworks and Day 7

Hi everyone.

So I'm at my Lion friends Scott and Marilyn's in Riverton, WY. To pick up where I left off...

Friday night, after an afternoon of computer work in the cool basement where I stayed in Hailey, we went out to watch the fireworks. Ooooh. Aaaahhh. That's what the crowd said anyway... I just sat there in my mellowness and drank the Miller I had been handed.

Then off to bed. That was it for Friday. No riding today.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #66
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Day 7, Saturday July 5

Saturday I slept in late, ate some awesome blueberry pancakes, then Diane led me out of town, through Sun Valley, to Trail Creek Road, a gravel road leading East out of Sun Valley.

I had forgotten to turn on my Spot until a few miles into this road, so that's why the gap in my tracks.
Also, I had left my camera set on Fireworks setting, and the 7 pics I took of Trail Creek road are blank, so sue me for that. But that road led to pavement which led to highway 33 heading East...

Hey!

A good bit of that around here...

Beautiful scenery, but long, straight boring roads...

I get bored on these droners...

But I'm still smiling

It's a milestone event! These DRs just keep going and going and going... (keep going DR, don't make a liar out of me!)

Reflections in the mirror

Again and still, more great scenery, and long mind numbingly boring roads that give me time to practice my LH photography.

The bike posing for a beauty shot

But it was getting late, so I stopped in the tiny town of Victor for some groceries, and a local I talked to suggested staying at the Mike Harrison campground, which I found a couple miles out of town. It was a pay site, so I turned around but found a dirt road right next to it (which may have actually been part of the campground) with 3 free spots. I picked the better of the 2 left right before a family in a pickup grabbed the last one. I got the good one

...cause it had a pile of wood nearby

Made a fire, cooked dinner, etc.

Total miles for the day: 257. Just about right.
Bike naps holding at a mere 2.

More soon.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:11 PM   #67
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanwife View Post
Dean loves his Kermit chair! He would not go on any adventure without it. I'm not sure if he even knew about the leg extenders when he bought the chair and he's too cheap to buy them anyway. But as he gets older... We shall see what happens but I'm betting that one day he will buy the extenders too. Yes, they are great for stealth camping. Can't always move those picnic tables. The Kermit packs up in a nice carrier bag and he straps it to one of his panniers. He has a homemade table that he packs around too, just in case he has to create his own campsite (happens often enough), he will have a place to cook up some grub.
I do like the Kermit, although it is kind of heavy. I am now carrying it in the dry bag and put my rain gear on one pannier and my dromedary water bladder on the other. As far as the leg extensions, I hadn't really thought about them. Maybe one day but for now it sits high enough for me.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:54 PM   #68
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Day 8 Sunday July 6

Today was beautiful. After oatmeal and coffee and striking camp I was in the road by 8:30 or so. Soon after jumping back on the highway I saw this

Who hoo! Wyoming!

Uh, 25?? I don't think so!

At the top I stopped at a busy overlook and after the tour bus of Japanese shutterbugs cleared out I took this

Lots more great scenery. It was a perfect day!

Stopped at the national museum of wildlife art but didn't go in, maybe another time

More awesome views

One even has me in it!

I needed a break from the highway so the next Nat'l forest access sign, I stopped and scrolled the gps, and it showed the road eventually rejoining the highway. Perfect. So off I go

Really GPS? Oookaay

Not bad...

This just doesn't seem right, but GPS says go so I do

No problem, I can ride this

Hmmm, ruts are getting deeper and muddier... But still rideable and GPS says this connects with the next road which leads back to the highway

Bummer! But hey, it's not a big tree

So I muscle it out of the way and proceed to find this

Damn! The mainline is just right there! So, back I go and now GPS has recalculated and points me this way

Kind of rocky, but I can ride this

And eventually it takes me back to the mainline

More fantastic views

And back to pavement

The divide!

Looking back

And round the bend

And more pics to come. I took a ton of pics today, more soon.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:13 PM   #69
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Day 8 continued

More pics from the road

The rocks are starting to turn red

Good thing the scenery is so nice cause the road lacks curves. And we like curves!

http://dandms.smugmug.com/TAT-2014/D...P1040695-M.jpg

Got in to Riverton about 3ish I think. I'm staying at former port Angeles residents Scott and Marilyn, Scott was a fellow,Lion and when I realized I'd be going through Riverton I contacted them and they graciously invited me to stay for several nights, but I'll be continuing East in the morning.
They fed me steak, liquor, let me do laundry, and gave me a tour of the town, which didn't take long :)
Scott is a member of an RC club, he makes and flys RC planes. We went to the field where a member was flying one but I was bad and didn't get a pic, sorry bout that.
Also my bike is in the garage and I don't want to wake my hosts to go check my odometer, but I rode about 175 miles I think.

Wheels up incidents? Sorry to disappoint, but holding at 2 :) but be patient, still 7 weeks to go!

Next: South Dakota and the Trans So Dakota Adv Trail.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #70
Keel&Chine
Skilled Lurker

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanman View Post
Hey, I didn't crack it! It cracked all by itself. And I'm trying to focus on not breaking anything.

So I can't figure out who you are but you must have been on the WABDR. Remember Dead Baby Hill? Epic!
Oh, yeah, I forget I'm stealthy here. I was the guy ferrying everybody and their broken bikes up the hill with you, on my trusty little drz 400

If you hate long straight roads, you need to find rivers, and whoa are you heading in the wrong direction. Are you sure you don't want to try and ride the pacific coast trail instead? Or maybe that mountain trail from Mexico to the Canadian border? :)
Keel&Chine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #71
yakawars59
n00b

Oddometer: 3
divide elevation

Dean, i was curious if you notice much or any loss of power at those higher elevations? is your bike carbed or f.i? Did you have any discomfort?i skiied a few times at 8-9k and got pretty winded easily.
yakawars59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #72
langstang96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Dean, unfortunately the Montana 1000 is out for me this year. Not able to chronicle the SE part of Idaho. Buddy of mine convinced me to ride the sponsored (Altrider) Hoh Rainforest Ride in August instead. Your neck of the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
langstang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:41 AM   #73
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,613
Following that Garmin can get you in a whole lot of trouble, I remember just a couple years ago down in Venezuela where she lead me down one of those short little connector roads that looked oh so close to getting back to the main route. I ended up drinking from rivers with water that never tasted so good trying to survive the ordeal, can make for some crazy adventure following those purple highlighted lines. Great looking ride you got going, thanks for posting up and sharing. PM me when you are crossing back on the TAT on the Eastern OK border for a place to stay, I'm just a few miles off the route. Goodluck
Old 07-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #74
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keel&Chine View Post
Oh, yeah, I forget I'm stealthy here. I was the guy ferrying everybody and their broken bikes up the hill with you, on my trusty little drz 400

If you hate long straight roads, you need to find rivers, and whoa are you heading in the wrong direction. Are you sure you don't want to try and ride the pacific coast trail instead? Or maybe that mountain trail from Mexico to the Canadian border? :)
Ahh, keel & chine, I should have figured that out. Hi Max!

The PNW is awsome indeed. Too much flat and straight out here for me. Someday I'll do the CDR. I watched a movie before I left called Ride the Divide, about crazy mtn bikers riding it from Canada to Mexico, one guy did it in 16 days I think. That's hard core!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #75
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakawars59 View Post
Dean, i was curious if you notice much or any loss of power at those higher elevations? is your bike carbed or f.i? Did you have any discomfort?i skiied a few times at 8-9k and got pretty winded easily.

Nope, not really. It's bogging a little if I crank the throttle open too suddenly, but that's the sign of the air cleaner getting dirty, I'll be cleaning it today or tomorrow. But it seemed to run just fine at 9,5xx hundred feet over the Tetons.
Me? I didn't really notice it either but never exerted myself. Can imagine the mtn bikers must really be affected by it though.