Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #76
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by langstang96 View Post
Dean, unfortunately the Montana 1000 is out for me this year. Not able to chronicle the SE part of Idaho. Buddy of mine convinced me to ride the sponsored (Altrider) Hoh Rainforest Ride in August instead. Your neck of the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, too bad about Montana... but the Altrider folks put on a good event, you'll have fun and meet a ton of cool people. I've done it a couple times and had a good time. Great food too!
Deanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #77
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Following that Garmin can get you in a whole lot of trouble, I remember just a couple years ago down in Venezuela where she lead me down one of those short little connector roads that looked oh so close to getting back to the main route. I ended up drinking from rivers with water that never tasted so good trying to survive the ordeal, can make for some crazy adventure following those purple highlighted lines. Great looking ride you got going, thanks for posting up and sharing. PM me when you are crossing back on the TAT on the Eastern OK border for a place to stay, I'm just a few miles off the route. Goodluck

Yup, I know it will foul me up half the time, but that's kind of why I do it. Worst case I can always just go back the way I came, but I try to avoid that if possible. It has led me to some pretty cool places too.

Thanks for the offer, I will keep you in mind, should be coming through in a few more weeks. Much appreciated.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #78
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,104
Nice Ride Deanman.
Ease into the trip. Soon everything will be automatic.
I know posting Ride Reports on the road is difficult, but you are doing a great job.
By the way, your camping and food pics are great!
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #79
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Day 9 Monday July 7

Well, I just finished creating Day 9 and ADVrider told me I was not logged in, so it's all gone. Grrrr. So here goes again.

I'm at the Weston County Library in Newcastle, WY. At least it's cool in here.

So to get caught up: Woke up early but Marilyn insisted on feeding me bacon and eggs, so it was after 10:30 before I finally hit the road. I headed towards Shoshoni, where Scott had told me to get gas, but about 10 miles out of town I realized I had not, so back I went. (GPS couldn't find any other gas closer than Casper)

Long straight roads again

but nice scenery

Cool rock formations

On the way out of Shoshoni the first time I had seen two dual sporters heading West, and of course we waved at each other, and when I got to the gas station there they were. Turned out to be Justin and Stacy, posting here as Mr. Dual Sport and Little Possum.

who just got married and are in the middle of a 3+week honeymoon on their bikes. Congratulations!
They are from Bend, OR and are using only a compass and map to navigate. Wow.

So back I go on the long dull highway

And I'll continue this in the next post so if it grenades again iI won't lose so much.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #80
Deanwife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Looks like you have a lot of interesting stuff coming up in SD.
Are you sure you want to go to Chicago? There's been a lot of news about shootings there lately. Strange that I worry more about you getting shot than anything else.
You are doing well! Sounds like you are still having fun too.
Deanwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #81
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

More day 9

So I go through the little towns of Manata (sp?), Hiland, and Waltman, where I turn north on this

to get to this

My intention is to ride half this loop then break off to go North, to Kaycee.

Beautiful views again

along the 70MPH gravel

Lots of antelope (Little Possum had told me to watch for the, she wasn't kidding!)

Just spectacular scenery

GPS tells me this cutoff to Hole in the Wall goes through,

and even thought it is marked closed in 10 miles, I figure I can find a way through...

Starts out OK

The first of about half a dozen gates. It gets old getting off the bike, opening the gate, riding through, finding a place to put the kickstand down where the bike won't fall asleep, closing the gate, etc.

Lots of cows. You'd think they live here or something.

Miles and miles of ruts. Need to stay on your toes or you'll quickly be on your ass

More eye candy

Some sort of petrochemical infrastructure

But alas, the last gate was locked and even though the road continued North, and I could see I was just South of Kaycee, back I went. Still, it was a fun diversion.

Back on the main road

Next turn was to follow Willow Creek Road to the North, but GPS insisted over and over again that I should go South. I wondered if it knew something I didn't? So I stopped at a lone house that looked ocupied, and feeling rather foolish in my Power Ranger suit, knocked on the door. The teenage kid told me to cruise North for "just a little bit" then take a left at the mailbox that looked like a barrel on a barrel. OK.
Well after about 4 miles and having passed several dubious looking left turns (little two tracks disapearing off into the grassland) I stopped at the next house (yes, they are 4 miles apart) and met a cowboy hatted dude named Dale, who told me yes, it's about 5 more miles to that intersection. So on I go.

Hey, a barrel on a barrel!

More straight roads, about 25 miles to Kaycee

where I fill up with over 4 gallons, the most yet this trip. The tank only holds barely 5 gallons.

So, I continue on the long lonely highway East, and finally reach the town of Wright, where I stop for some groceries. Inquiries about nearby camping were met with blank stares, so I began the familiar process of looking for a suitable site.

I almost settled for setting up behind some sort of pump shack, but it was in sight of houses, and smelled weird, like gas or something. (Much of Eastern WY smells like chemicals, BTW). Drill baby drill?

Anyway, I finally took an access road to a National Grassland area, turned off on a tiny two track that led to this

and said good enough!

Sorry no dinner pics, but it was one of those packaged bacon wrapped fillets, and a bag of salad. Yum!

Still holding at a dull 2 gravity events, and again I forgot to check the milage, so let's just say it was too many.

Next, it's the TSDAT, so it may be a few days before I find connectivity again.

Ride on!
Old 07-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #82
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Kaycee

In Kaycee there is the Chris LaDoux Memorial Park....

Chris's ranch is there and he lived there for many years.

1976 World Champion Bronc rider and country music star.

Nice little park with cool gates and statue of Chris on his Championship ride.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #83
shallowskiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
love it!
shallowskiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #84
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanman View Post
Well, I just finished creating Day 9 and ADVrider told me I was not logged in, so it's all gone. Grrrr. So here goes again.
My last RR, I typed everything in a word processer, and then copy and pasted it onto the internet site. The WP has better saving and protecting your work than internet sites do. It's something for you to consider as you've lost your work twice so far.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #85
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
My last RR, I typed everything in a word processer, and then copy and pasted it onto the internet site. The WP has better saving and protecting your work than internet sites do. It's something for you to consider as you've lost your work twice so far.
I have been using an ap called Evernote as my WP, and have been copy/pasting from it, but Safari on the iPad has crashed a few times, and then today at the library when I went to hit post, advrider told me I wasn't logged in and to to reload the page... Which then came up blank. Weird cause I was logged in and active the whole time. But thanks for the suggestion

Computers.

I wish that was the worst of my problems now. Stay tuned.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #86
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

It's a brand new battery

I'm back. Long day in the saddle, 3 re-routes from the TSDAT track, lots of great and not so great riding.

But the bigger issue is the bike began acting like the battery is dead today. Once this morning it cranked really slow a couple times, Ruh, Ruh, then it fired up. I shut it off again, tried it again and it started immediately.

Then a couple more times it cranked slowly, and I unplugged all my chargers so there was no additional current draw, and it seemed to be better... Until a retiree in a winabago had to push me down the gas station parking lot.

Now I'm at Sage Creek campground in the badlands nat'l park (flat, of course) but after shutting it down, it fired up immediately. At least the campground is free.
So I'm going to check connections, fuses, etc and see what happens. The headlight is nice and bright, only dims normally when I hit the starter, and the dash lights are fine, etc.

I may try to post up today's report and pics, but bike and dinner are demanding my attention.

Worst case I'll beg someone to push start me in the morning and head for whatever dealer/shop I end up locating. Rapid City is 40 or 50 miles away.

More to come.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #87
SOLOKLR
almost retired

Oddometer: 139
locked gates

My buddy and I hit the end of a trail in NM only to find the locked gate. We were literally at the road with not enough fuel to go back. KLRs do not slide under barbed wire with ease. It took a whole lot of pulling to get those pigs to the tarmac!

Great report! I'm really enjoying it! Keep cruising. Stay safe!
Steverauklr@gmail.com
SOLOKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #88
goodquest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Subscribed.
goodquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #89
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Simple things first: Check the battery terminal ends for good clean tight connections. Also check same cable at the starter too. That is often the problem with the symptoms you describe. Other things can be at fault too, but that is a free and easy repair.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:01 PM   #90
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

S

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
Simple things first: Check the battery terminal ends for good clean tight connections. Also check same cable at the starter too. That is often the problem with the symptoms you describe. Other things can be at fault too, but that is a free and easy repair.
Yeah, first things I did this morning. Thoroughly. All good. I got it to the shop about 11 and they found no problem.

All I can figure is I had to many devices charging at the same time: zumo, iPhone, iPad, and a Sena. Maybe that's too much? Lol

So now I'm frugally doling out my electrons. Bike has been starting fine all day, but I'm down to 13 percent on the phone and 42 on the he iPad so I will need to charge them.

I do have 2 to 3 dots of service here, but it seems pretty slow. Will try uploading pics next.

Not the best campsite but at least it's on a hill

Having a blast despite all the drama. Wow, I met a dude in a parking lot in sturgis, and he just emailed me a minute ago!