User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2014, 11:37 PM   #91
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,548
Just found your report, excellent work!
I know Craig who you met in Stanley. Small world.
I have been to the Hailey parade many times, always a good time.
looking forward to more posts.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:39 AM   #92
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,471
Deanman, you are having a blast! Great ride, awesome pics and excellent report! I've been in since the biggining! Ride safe!

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:19 AM   #93
AlbaLife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I'm in 😎
AlbaLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:22 AM   #94
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanman View Post
Yeah, first things I did this morning. Thoroughly. All good. I got it to the shop about 11 and they found no problem.

All I can figure is I had to many devices charging at the same time: zumo, iPhone, iPad, and a Sena. Maybe that's too much? Lol

So now I'm frugally doling out my electrons. Bike has been starting fine all day, but I'm down to 13 percent on the phone and 42 on the he iPad so I will need to charge them.

I do have 2 to 3 dots of service here, but it seems pretty slow. Will try uploading pics next.

Not the best campsite but at least it's on a hill

Having a blast despite all the drama. Wow, I met a dude in a parking lot in sturgis, and he just emailed me a minute ago!
I have a fairly new KTM 690 that has been doing something similar. I had been getting in the habit of shutting the bike off with the off switch and letting it sit that way while I checked maps, roll charts and such. About mid afternoon it failed to start. Seems the KTM doesn't have much charging power. 2000 miles later I have had no more problems but I shut it off with the key now when not moving.

I only run a GPS and heated gear, though. I've never used my motorcycle to charge my cell or any other device I happen to be carrying. On the other hand, I don't camp every night so I have motel room plugs to charge things up.

Enjoying your report and images.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:26 AM   #95
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 810
dean, a great iPad app is MapsWithMe, you can download just the state or country you need, always gives your location via GPS and can locate closest gas, etc. it will track in real time, no routes tho if you use that feature.

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #96
Keel&Chine
Skilled Lurker

Oddometer: 9
Do you still charge while camping?

Hey Dean, I remember during the wabdr you'd leave stuff charging on your bike while doing things around camp (I believe I may have borrowed some electrons from you at one point this way ) - do you still do that? I'm guessing you don't, but yeah, only charge while the motor is on.

I remember talking to one of the guys from pssor (I forget who, but I think of him as the total and complete gear nut) and he had this nice setup with a charging wire that led directly into one of his side cases, so he could charge stuff in his pannier while under way. You have hard cases as well...
Keel&Chine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #97
E1Allen
UH-60 Pilot

Oddometer: 92
Thumb Great RR

Great ride report so far. My best friend and I are doing a coast to coast TAT next year. We will be starting from Michigan but will have far less time to travel since we are both not even close to retirement. I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and we return mid September so this report should get me through the last bit of the deployment till I get home and give me something to expect next year. Looking forward to more posts!

Eric
Old 07-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #98
Motor 1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Good stuff Dean, look forward to meeting you in a few weeks.
Ruta del Cakebaker
Motor 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #99
Jedi2Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I'm in. Have fun.
Jedi2Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:34 AM   #100
actifenpleinair
SLC on an XT350

Oddometer: 19
Ride On my friend

Hey Dean,
I just totally caught up with you and your travels, staying up way too late in the process. I too was going to recommend the WP for notes first and then copy to the report, seems you're doing that already...
Wondering if you are keeping track of your gas mileage out of curiosity and hoping all keeps going as planned. Liking the trip reports, making me wish I kept better notes of my everyday adventures. Enjoy!
Lou
actifenpleinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:24 AM   #101
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Uploading pics now

Hi everyone,

I'm in a comfortable room at inmate Sleddog's, currently uploading pics, will post up the last several days soon. Slow process, lots of "upload interrupted, please try again" msgs (does smugmug always do this??) so it may be a while so be patient.

Will hang here tonight then blast to a friend in Des Moines Saturday. Will be in Chicago Monday.

You know, this is a really, really big country! Glad I have a day off here and there for butt recovery!
Deanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:40 PM   #102
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Day 10 Tuesday July 8

It's funny how I forgot to set my alarm, and woke up at 5am. The sun was just coming up, and I was a bit concerned that I wasn't supposed to be camping where I was, so I made haste and got on the road by well before 7.

I hauled ass down the painfully long highway

into Newcastle. There I wanted to buy a map of SD, a new notepad as I lost mine, and see about some connectivity. I had a tough time buying a map. The 3 stop & robs I tried didn't have any?! And the Shopco wasn't open until 9, so I headed over to the local library, where I was able to upload my pics and get the RR caught up through this morning.

I was silently cursing the slow library computer when I heard the 2 librarians commenting on how slow the computers were today. Figures. The machine didn't even have a card reader, so I uploaded the pics from the iPad, but using the library's wifi.

The nice lady librarian warned me about construction on highway 16, but it wasn't too bad. Bonus gravel!

And I made decent time to Custer.

I got one map at the visitors center, and they sent me up the road to the ranger station where I got another. Then done to a little park to fill up the water bladders, and then I picked up the West end of the TSDAT.

I stopped at this little park for some lunch

(nuts & berries) then found my first road closed ahead sign.

Despite yesterday's experience, I forged on, but it really did dead end in about half a mile,

and the other side looked pretty unused,

so back I go, and it was pretty easy to figure out I could just follow French Creek Road and re-connect with the track.

About this time I had my first sign of trouble with the bike, when after shutting it down it cranked real slow before starting. But after shutting it down, it restarted immediately, so I went on.

The track was pretty easy to follow, although I did have 2 more reroutes, and decided to believe the next dead end sign.

Lots of high speed gravel,

but

but some sections were extremely slippery. There were little ruts and furrows of gravel that kept trying to yank the front wheel one way or the other. I had 2 serious pucker moments, and thought for sure I was going down, but somehow kept it upright.

Coming out to highway 87, I decided gas would be good, and headed south 8 miles to the nearest gas. It was there that it wouldn't start, and I asked a fellow gas pumper for a push, which he was glad to provide. Thanks, Winnebago man!

So I unplugged everything that was being powered by the bike except the GPS, and rode on, hoping it would recharge without the additional draw of the chargers. I didn't really believe this, but hoped. The bike was running fine, and I believed it was charging, but dont have a way to test it. I think if the stator was not putting out current, the bike would eventually just die, and it ran fine all day once started. So I dunno. Yet.

Lots more Kodak moments

About 5:30 I decided to jut find a campsite, and gps found one 30 miles NW, in Interior. But as I went down the road I passed a dirt road with a sign for Wall, only 20 miles away, and another check of GPS found another campground only 12 miles away, so I headed there. About 8 miles from it, I saw a sign for Sage Creek CG, and voila, here I am.

And it's free!

Also there are people here to help push if necessary.

Dinner was top ramen and tuna, not very photogenic, but I'll do better.

No time to work on the he bike tonight, so I looked it over the next morning.

Some more random shots from the day

Total miles for the day: 235
Bike drops remain at a boring 2. For now.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #103
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

I woke at 5:45am to light rain, but it stopped quickly. I struck camp leisurely, and chatted with nearby campers Seth, and his young son William, New Yorkers on a drive to LA for his job at the Gap. He said they would be around for a while if I needed a push. Yay! Although, I could push it to the slight hill down from the campsite if necessary
Also chatted with park worker Don whoe came to finish mowing.

Phone was dead this morning, so I reluctantly charged it off the bike. This morning I checked connections, fuses, etc, found nothing suspect.

Then just had to wait for 9 am to try calling shops in rapid city.

At 9 I called around, Jess at Rice Honda Suzuki told me to come on in and they would work me into their schedule. So off I go. I headed South down the gravel

towards the highway

More endless straight droning... but still, not unpleasant

Pretty countryside

but these roads need more curves!

So GPS locates the dealer at and guides me to 311 North Campbell but seeing nothing like a MC dealer and after asking at an equipment rental place, they tell me it is 311 South Campbell, just down the street. Damn Garmin anyway!

So I get to the dealer, and long story short, they got me in and out of there in about an hour. Bike checked out fine, and Service guy Tanner doesn't seem to think all my electronics being charged are the culprit, but we don't know what else it could be.

So after a stop for groceries, I'm off. Yesterday I was so stoked to start the TSDAT that I didn't even look at the map. I went right by mt Rushmore and sturgis, so today I decided to abandon the TSDAT for now and go see those two places.

So I did.

Mt Rushmore

They want $11 just to park, so I just took a pic. Plus I'd already lost half a day. So I continued on.

More pretty scenery

I stop to check my phone, and while I'm sitting there this dude comes along.

Craig lives somewhere around here and sold his Harley cause he couldn't stand up on it, and his ass got sore.

Now he rides the gravel on his KLR, and enjoys it, even though his ass still gets sore.

He told me a gravel shortcut to the road to crazy horse, so I took it. Came out right where he said it would

He also told me a good way to get to Sturgis, and even gave me his map, with the route highlighted in ball point pen!

More good roads and beautiful scenery

There was a line of cars at the Crazy Horse gate so a pic would have to do

...and it's not even a good pic. I'll come back one day.

Then pavement

The turn off 44 towards the canyon road up to Sturgis

Groovy Baby

And then I got stuck behind a parade

I had time for more pics

Sorry, sometimes my left thumb gets in the way.

That's the name of the road I couldn't think of

And made it to Sturgis!

Just like Hollywood

Sturgis is just like any other town, except it's infested with motorcycles.I mean crawling with them. The town is all about them.

I stopped at a market looking to buy a single beer, but no such luck. In the parking lot I meet Robert, a bearded guy in an old pickup, and we talk for a while. He's very interested in the trip and the bike and I give him a card.

I went to 3 stores looking for a single beer and could not find one. Finally bought a 6 pack of Sam Adams and went off to find a campsite.

Didn't do too well

but the road was fun, and I'm glad to be off the bike for the day. There is a hill if my battery goes dead, so that makes me feel better.

I messaged inmate sleddog about staying at his place in Monroe, almost to the eastern border of the state,Thursday night but have not yet heard back. Either way, tomorrow I'm going to haul ass eastwards. Oh and I figured out sleddog is the creator of the TSDAT tracks.

Dinner was a filet that was on sale (I didn't plan on eating so much steak but choices are often limited, and the chicken was a strange color) with a salad, fried potatoes and a beer..

Dang, forgot the ODO reading again. Still only 2 bike tipovers though.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:36 PM   #104
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Day 12 Thursday July 10

So today was all about getting there.

I woke up about 5:45, and about 6am my phone rings. I don't normally answer unknown numbers, (too many spam calls trying to lower my interest rate) but it is a SD number and I hope it's Sleddog.

It is! He tells me yes I can stay at his place, and sends me his address.

So I skip coffee wanting to get on the road fast, and while packing up the bike, I notice this

So I spend 20 minutes applying the Adventure Rider's best friend

Zip Ties. Don't leave home without them.

Not a permanent fix, but should prevent it from getting worse. My buddy John in Des Moines has a welder neighbor so I hope he can look at it.

So off down the road as gently and smoothly as I can go.

But not a lot of smooth the be had here.

I make it down to the pavement without incident.

Even though I'm retracing my route from yesterday, Sleddog recommended I take Highway 44 across the state, so I do. It's a pleasant ride down to 44.

Lots more of this

but still pretty country

Much of the day is on straight roads that seem to go on forever

I take pics of anything interesting to break up the boredom

A glut of hay?

More of this (yawn)

Lonely houses in the middle of nowhere, miles from the nearest city.

Cows!

More of this

I stop here for gas

The pumps are calibrated to 1/2 gallons, cause they are too old to reflect today's gas prices.

Places like this make it impossible to not talk to the people in the store. No pay at the pump here. So I chat with Dave, the owner, who tells me stories of Sturgis travelers flat tires and such. I finally got back on the bike and headed which direction??

East. You knew that though.

Hey, what's this? Should I just ride underneath? I could fit if I duck...

But I ride around it. I think it's the machine that makes the round hay bales.

I come over a rise and see this

Groan. Does this road ever end?

Something to catch my interest

This one has potential. Some paint, a little TLC...

I like this one. Wonder who built it and why they left? Where did they go?

The mighty Mo!

What's this? The object from 2001?

No, just a jumbo, nicely painted grain silo.

Finally I get to my host's place and look what I get to stay in!!

It is fully equipped with this

this

this

and best of all, this!

My hosts treat me like a king, feeding me dinner, getting my laundry taken care of, and providing excellent conversation.

Friday I spend getting caught up on uploading pics and the RR.

Saturday I plan to leave early and head to my friend John's place in Des Moines. He texted me and the neighbor weldor is all ready to go, so I will get the pannier rack welded there.

More to come!

Thursday was just abou 350 miles, and still no more bike drops.

Now beer.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #105
FongMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Thumb

Looks like getting there is and adv in its self!! Great RR Dean, keep it going.

Im thinking u might have a bad/dirty ground some where..
FongMan is offline   Reply With Quote