Old 07-14-2014, 10:21 PM   #121
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanwife View Post
They went for a ride.
Attachment 322086
Awesome! Glad they had a good time, and it's good you found someone to feed all those fresh berries to. I think they'll be back.
Deanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:17 PM   #122
MaNDan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Hi DeanM

[QUOTE=Deanman;. Even though the shop found nothing wrong, we'll be checking it over tomorrow ourselves. I'm lucky my host is an excellent mechanic and troubleshooter.

Why no report on the weld/fix and what the problem and solution was on the constant electrical issues?? Will be good to hear your report.
MaNDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:35 AM   #123
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

[QUOTE=MaNDan;24618000][QUOTE=Deanman;. Even though the shop found nothing wrong, we'll be checking it over tomorrow ourselves. I'm lucky my host is an excellent mechanic and troubleshooter.

Why no report on the weld/fix and what the problem and solution was on the constant electrical issues?? Will be good to hear your report. [/QUOTE]

Hey MaNDan,
Just found some wifi and hopefully will be able to get some photos uploaded and an update soon.
Long story short he welding got done and we ran out of time to check charging system but I have had no further problems in that regard. I'm convinced it was from running zumo, charging phone, Sena and iPad all at the same time so is I only run GPS and one other device at a time.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #124
Deanwife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
You hit 10,000 views! Getting to be a popular guy!

Say "Hi!" to Jon for me. It's OK... you don't have to like Chicago ... just enjoy your stay.

Then give us a report!
Deanwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #125
NJDRT-RDR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
If your charging system is anything like the drz 400. It doesn't like a lot of load. I've also had a partial stator go out but only on the charging side so charging was minimal. I had to resort to riding without the headlight when it got bad. It also was at the point where the more rpms I pulled the less it charged... It took awhile to figure out.

The michigan Trail Safari
http://home.comcast.net/~drt-rdr/trailsafari.txt
NJDRT-RDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #126
bfd70
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanman View Post
Hey, I'm in Chicago! Will have more pics and a better update soon, hopefully tomorrow.

My tentspace hosts are great, enjoyed a nice Mexican dinner and they offered me their spare room - no tent required!

Tomorrow I'll try to master chicagos public transit system as I tour downtown. My host suggested starting at Navy Pier so that's what I'm going to do.

And tomorrow night: Chicago pizza.
Glad you got a room. They've got snakes back there. Tell hawk I warned you. Safe travels.
bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #127
MaNDan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Hey Dean and any inmates, how about a switch for the headlight?

[QUOTE=Deanman Regarding the charging system, I have had no further problems in that regard. I'm convinced it was from running zumo, charging phone, Sena and iPad all at the same time so is I only run GPS and one other device at a time.]

I know it may be a safety issue, but why don't we all install an Off-On switch for the headlight?? My first couple cycles had one and I had no problem turning the light on when it was needed. If you have a weak battery, esp nice to have it off at the time of starting the motor; And in Dean's case, when charging up and using his various electronic stuff while on the road.
MaNDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #128
Travism
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanman View Post
Awesome! Glad they had a good time, and it's good you found someone to feed all those fresh berries to. I think they'll be back.

You know it! Next time we need to be there when you are in town! Deanwife made us feel right at home, and was a magnificent hostess, but we will need you to show us some of the good local trails!

Thank you both so much for giving us some cool shelter on a hot weekend!

Oh, and the berries were AWESOME!!!!!
Travism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #129
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Day 15 Sun July 13

Pretty lazy day today, mostly worked on the bike but also went downtown Des Moines for some bacon wrapped tater tots!

Did bike maintenance, including oil change, fixed exhaust leak, bolted remaining horn back on, (yes, the bolt came out and I lost one but the other was hanging by the wire), put the pannier racks back on, and packed everything back on for departure on Monday.

I goofed and neglected to get a photo of my hosts.

Anyway, Johns neighbor is a welder.

John had some scrap steel laying around so we cut some gussets and had Luke weld them on.

The rack is strong now!

He also welded both corners of my bent cracked pannier and straightened it out pretty well. All for the motorcyclist discounted price of $20!! Awesome. Thanks Welder neighbor Luke!

Then Monday it was off to Chicago.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #130
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Day 16 Monday July 14

Day 16 Monday July 14

My stay in Des Moines was great. john and his lovely wife Lyne treated me very well, including a trip to Snookies, the local malt shop, and to another bar who's name I forgot, but they had bacon wrapped tater tots and little smokies, which were truly fantastic.

John is an excellent mechanic, and also helped me out a great deal with his tools, shop and expertise. We fixed the exhaust leak (hopefully it will last), and I changed the oil. I got some laundry done, and I got my new Sena mount installed in my helmet, so I have tunes in both ears again.

After leaving Des Moines on Monday Morning, I headed straight for Chicago, taking secondary highways some of the time, but also taking a good bit of freeway just to get there.

On My Des Moines hosts recommendation, I did stop at the National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa.

and wished I had much more time to stay and gawk.

Lots to see here

This guy Tom was there,

he was on an extended vacation to visit places of mechanical significance, I don't recall his next stop but it was some famous complex of warehouses that contain a lot of old mechanical things. Sounds like a fun trip.

More to look at

Hey, there's me!

But I only stayed for about 40 minutes, and had to carry on to make my next Tentspace at Inmate ChickeHawks, in Chicago.

More random road shots. I like taking lefties under bridges for some reason.

I also went through the little famous town of Galina, sorry hard to get pics cause nowhere to pull over. It was busy!

I arrived about 6pm, and had intended to visit my old co-worker from my Newspaper days, but was pretty wiped out so we put that off until Tuesday.

My hosts are great. Mike and his wife Patty,

and their two dogs Gordon and Pepper, are treating me very well. Mike is a firefighter, and Patty is a teacher.

Mike and Patty insisted on taking me out to Mexican food at a great little place in their neighborhood, and after that it was a little more conversation, then off to bed for me. And they didn't even make me sleep in a tent!

I will be staying over Tuesday night as well then will head East, Ohio, where I have another Tentspace site secured for Weds night.

Another 300+ miler today, and no further bike drops. But just be patient!
Old 07-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #131
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Day 17 Tues July 15

BTW, I should mention I'm now posting from the Library in Lebanon, OH. My host Dynobob is busy fluffing hay and I was having trouble with a slow connection there so I headed off to the library. I only get an hour so I'm hurrying!

OK, back to Tuesday. I Spent the day in Chicago. Mike drove me to the Rosemont Station on the Blue line and off I went to play tourist in the big city.

I wandered around Navy Pier, and rode the big ferris wheel.

Cool, but it goes really, really slow and you only get one go-round.

But it offers some great views of the city

The obligatory selfie

then took a bus up to Millenium Park.

My buddy Jon

was able to meet me for lunch, then had to go back to work, but we agreed to meet again after work and go out for pizza.

Jon was our Tech Svs/Prepress guy at the paper, keeping the computers working and preparing the pages for printing out to negative. Back when papers still used film. Now they just go straight to plate.

Now he's a Chicagoan, married, with a good job and seems happy.

So I spent the afternoon wandering around like a wide eyed tourist taking pictures.

It's a really cool, very large park, with lots of public art. Lots to take pics of for sure.

The famous chrome Bean

Cant recall the name of this piece

but kiddies like to splash around in the water.

More cool art

...and more cool views

About 6pm Jon called me and we ended up at Ginos East, a very busy, popular Pizza place downtown. We got the Sausage Pie or whatever it's called. I ate two whole peices!

Then back on the train to Rosemont Station where Mike graciously picked me up. By this time it was about 11pm and it was off to bed for me.

Miles walked: About 10 I think.
Deanman crashes: One for the day, I stepped off a curb and fell right over, but nobody saw it (or cared anyway) and no pics so it doesn't count, right?

More to come if the Librarian doesn't kick me out!

Thanks everyone for your patience.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #132
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Day 18 Weds July 16

Took off from Mike and Patty's by about 8:30. Patty made me a care package, a snack pack she called it,

which I was very grateful for. As it turned out, it was my lunch that day.

Mike had made up a route for me,

which I was able to follow for the most part, but got screwed up somehow and never saw 252 East, but eventually got to my next host, Dynobob, in Lebanon, OH.

I tried to get a pic of Lebanon, Indiana, which I also passed through, but couldn't get the camera out fast enough.

Turns out there are a lot of Lebanons in the country.

Weather was great, in fact it rained hard Tuesday night, but me and my stuff stayed dry. Thanks Chickenhawk Mike and Patty!

More views from the road

And small towns

I'd never seen a triked out scooter, but after this pic I saw several more. Maybe a Midwest thing? I dunno.

This road looks familiar. I think it's called LONG STRAIGHT ROAD. Or something like that.

More big Ag installations

Farm equipment drives down the roads from time to time.

Lots of these little towns have a cool courthouse or civic building of some sort. Very cool architecture.

And I look over and see this. Those Lions, and lots of other volunteer orgs, do a lot of great things.

Whoo hoo! Ohio!!

I arrived at Dynobobs about 6:30 to be greeted by two very friendly dogs,

and was allowed to crash on a nice leather couch in a cool garage.

As seems to be the custom, they fed me dinner, and before I knew it, it was late and I was done again.

Had some connectivity problems so I cruised on down to the local library and am pretty much caught up.

Another 300 plus mile day and no crashes.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:16 AM   #133
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 866
Pleasure to meet you Dean, it added a nice diversion to our week. Safe Travels!

DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:43 PM   #134
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,323
Hi Dean!

Looks like you're having a great ride! Staci and I got home yesterday. Look forward to following the rest of your trip!
Old 07-19-2014, 06:55 AM   #135
cypert2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Sounds like a great ride so far! I sent you a pm.
cypert2 is offline   Reply With Quote