Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2005, 08:27 AM   #1
yellow OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
2004 R1150GS crashbar/engine protection?

Looking to get some engine protection for my new (got it used) 1150gs. I searched this site for threads on crash bars. It seems that HB, TT, Wunderlich are the leading choices that still allow oil changes w/o removal. BMW's being the black sheep. From there it looks like personal choice. Wunderlich seems to be slightly preferred.

H&B seems to be referred to as the "engine cracker". Does anyone know of this actually happening.

Which offers the best protection? I would expect an effect crash bar to be able to protect the engine at low impact crashes with out crumbling, but sacrifice themselves before any permenant damage was done to the engine in a high impact incident.

Thank you for your time.
yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 08:44 AM   #2
kannonbal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
crash bars crack heads

valve protectors crack valve covers and heads

stick with the plastic valve protectors from bmw which will sacrifice themselves to protect the engine

just my $.02
Old 10-02-2005, 10:46 AM   #3
bereahorn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
Crash bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow
Looking to get some engine protection for my new (got it used) 1150gs. I searched this site for threads on crash bars. It seems that HB, TT, Wunderlich are the leading choices that still allow oil changes w/o removal. BMW's being the black sheep. From there it looks like personal choice. Wunderlich seems to be slightly preferred.

H&B seems to be referred to as the "engine cracker". Does anyone know of this actually happening.

Which offers the best protection? I would expect an effect crash bar to be able to protect the engine at low impact crashes with out crumbling, but sacrifice themselves before any permenant damage was done to the engine in a high impact incident.

Thank you for your time.
Have a look in the Vendor Forum under SW-Motech crashbars.Twisted Throttle is having a sale on overstock at $119.00. I ordered a set for my '01GS. You also might give some consideration to the Stanton Head Guards. The BMW plastic valve cover guards go away very quickly in a low side event.At least mine did.
bereahorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 07:31 PM   #4
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannonbal
crash bars crack heads

stick with the plastic valve protectors from bmw which will sacrifice themselves to protect the engine

just my $.02
Depends on what they bolt too. Many bolt to dumb places like the bash plate, and others bolt to the engine case. The bars have to have a little room to bend, so the force isn't transferred directly to the mount as a hard shock.

The plastic valve cover protectors aren't much good for most falls except a simple drop.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 07:34 PM   #5
Ol Rob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I saw a set of new 1150gsa adventure engine bars on ebay today for cheap. do a search with bmw adventure to find them.
Rob<><

"You should look out not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others"
Phil. 2:4
Ol Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 09:47 PM   #6
AFekete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,208
cracked heads?

Quote:
crash bars crack heads

just my $.02
Hepco Becker engine guards and very stout and I've have never heard of this and we have sold tons of them. Mine have been thoroughly tested

I'd love to see an example with pictures and not just therory about mounting points.

thanks,
A
AFekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 05:00 AM   #7
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,931
Quote:

just my $.02
They do sacrifice themselves but the heads not come away unscathed.

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:01 AM   #8
kannonbal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFekete
Hepco Becker engine guards and very stout and I've have never heard of this and we have sold tons of them. Mine have been thoroughly tested

I'd love to see an example with pictures and not just therory about mounting points.

thanks,
A

beleive me afekete, i would love to put some on my bike, but i keep reading things in this post that make me think that the bars can actually cause more problems than they are worth. i saw a few pictures a couple of months ago where some one had sheared off a chunk of their head where the valve cover bolts on, i think from a stanton, but i may be misremembering. i've also seen pictures where the bars had bent so much that they had caused damage to the jug.

my whole point is that just what are these guards' purpose. if it is to keep from scratching up a jug on a low side then there is no doubt they do that. however, and crash that is hard enough to bend the bars is going to trasfer a lot of force to their mounting points, which aren't designed for that sort of a hit. this is why i am sticking to the plastic. they sacrifice their life during a hit, which minimizes force applied to the fasteners, thereby actually protecting the bike. any hit that can hurt the jug too is going to be a hit that is probably going to hurt other things too and i just don't see crashbars helping the situation. maybe when offroading at lower speeds all of the time would be where bars really shine, but for street crashes, i think you're better off without them.

that being said, please convince me otherwise!! PLEASE! my bike would look great with the bars and stantons, but i just can't talk myself into believing they are a good thing for how i ride my bike. and i'm sorry i'm too lazy to hunt for pictures, but i am
Old 10-03-2005, 08:17 AM   #9
AFekete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,208
Thumb guards and crashes...

You are absolutely correct that the guards should be sacraficial however I also believe that they should provide slow speed head protection as well.

For those of you who ride a lot off road, I can certainly vouch for the use of the guards. They have protected my bike against rocks, trees, and other foreign objects protruding in and about the trails. I would not enter the woods without them. The guards could mean the difference of getting out of the woods after a fall over which may have punctured the valve cover. Ask me how I know about this one

On the street, the guards can provide the same level of protection. Riding on the street presents even more hazzards and the guards will protect the heads in most cases and even the fuel tank by providing a contact area further away from the bike. For the most part the guards will protect the engine cases from parking lot and garage tip overs perfectly(my recent brother in law riding instruction validated this theory).

I have seen the guards after slow and high speed accidents and have never seen one cause damage to the frame although I can entertain that thought as room for concern. The mounting points to the bike are not designed to bend or flex so the guards have to. I've seen this upclose and personal.

My opinion, and I'm not tryng to sell anything here, is that the guards will provide a lot more protection then destruction. In any case there will always be times when the bike is down and something is caught at just the right angle to cause so much more damage then ever imagined(i.e. engine guards smashed against the heads) and at this point it was probably better to have them installed then not.

It's nice to have options
AFekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:09 AM   #10
pbansen
Hosehead

Oddometer: 434
Head protection

Quote:
this is why i am sticking to the plastic. they sacrifice their life during a hit, which minimizes force applied to the fasteners, thereby actually protecting the bike. any hit that can hurt the jug too is going to be a hit that is probably going to hurt other things too and i just don't see crashbars helping the situation.
My experience has been that in a crash on dirt, the plastic guards don't cover enough to protect the valve covers from damage and the covers get damaged despite the sacrifice of the plastic guard.

In a crash on pavement, the plastic guards sacrifice themselves real quickly and the valve covers are damaged after the plastic shatters and/or vaporizes.

The plastic guards always break, even in a very low speed, low energy event. It makes me wonder why they aren't made of a tougher, more durable plastic - like the nylon frame sliders that the squids have on their GSX-R's. The smartass answer is that if they were more durable, BMW wouldn't sell as many of them. I don't think that's correct, but I've been sufficiently unimpressed with them to buy Stantons for my last two GS's.

I'll give another anecdotal data point in support of engine bars. I was heading back to Tahoe on Monday following the July MotoGP event in Laguna Seca. It was about 7:30am and I was northbound on 101 between Salinas and Gilroy, California. A stakeside truck carrying what looked like plumbing supplies entered the freeway in front of me - he had a variety of boxes and things on the bed of the truck - all tied down, but something about the truck made me keep my distance. Within a mile, he had moved over into the fast lane - I stayed in the right lane. Pretty soon, a large piece of cardboard or other litter blew out of the truck, followed quickly by a wooden pallet which landed a little in front of me on the line between the two lanes. The truck driver seemed to notice this, because he moved into the right lane. I slowed a little to create a larger gap between us just as a big box fell out of the truck and landed directly in front of me. I braked and swerved left - it was hard to predict the direction the box would take as it slid along the road, but I had more room to go to the left. Nevertheless, I caught up to the box and hit it with the right engine bar. The bike never wiggled, but it was a solid impact. I accelerated into the left lane and went up even with the cab of the truck and motioned discreetly (!) to the driver that he was losing his load and that he should pull over.

Judging from the size and shape of the box, I think it contained a bathtub. Fortunately, it was probably a fiberglass bathtub, not a cast iron one. The engine bars took the hit rather than the exhaust header and the cylinder and the bike was undamaged. Well, mostly. I discovered later that the little amber reflector on the right fork leg had disappeared, so I came a lot closer to hitting the box with the front tire or fork than I had thought initially. This isn't the kind of situation that the engine bars are really designed for, but I think I had a better outcome with them than I would have had without.

By the way, the bike is an 1150GS Adventure with the stock engine bars.

pbansen screwed with this post 10-03-2005 at 10:13 AM Reason: Specify which bike and engine bars I'm discussing
pbansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 11:58 AM   #11
deepcdiver
Nobody Special

Oddometer: 785
I tipped my bike over the other night while being mugged at the gas station by a crackhead (I took him down, nothing like wearing a full face helmet and armored jacket in a tussle) My Wunderlich bars did not keep the plastic head protector from cracking in two and or from scuffing the valve cover, this was on level concrete.

I am replacing them with the Hepco-Beckers I bought used, they appear to offer less protection from head-on impact but far more on lateral tipovers, which is what I feel I need.

YMMV, IMHO not of them are perfect...
Old 10-05-2005, 06:56 PM   #12
yellow OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Thanks for all of the advice. Looks like I will most likely be goine with the HB...would have gotten the $119 SW-Mototech(?) but unfortunately payday did not get here soon enough.

It has been said before and I am sure it will be said again. This forum is pretty incredible...people who are willing to help and share knowledge...thanks again.
yellow is offline   Reply With Quote