Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #91
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefeATX View Post
Check out the beast in front of me.

I saw that truck at the Grand Canyon a couple months ago. It could be just another guy with the same kind of truck, but that was the model. Sweet looking truck for sure!
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:41 PM   #92
ElJefeATX OP
OMGban!!!

Oddometer: 3,015
Still a tourist with the girlfriend around Spearfish. Tomorrow we get back to actually being a ride report rather than a riding shotgun report. Wyoming and points south tomorrow.

The last couple of days have been like when Ewan's wife joined them in South Africa.

I did take the bike to a local for a wheel balance, alignment, adjustments and safety check. Now I'm starting to think I'm going to need a front tire before I get home.

Shout out to Mike at Metric Motors in Spearfish. Really nice guy, great mechanic and motocross rider. You know you're at the right place when there's a stunt ramp stored on the premises.

ElJefeATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:25 AM   #93
ElJefeATX OP
OMGban!!!

Old 07-25-2014, 08:03 AM   #94
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Good report. Might try your trip in reverse sometime as I unfortunately had to bypass Austin on my last big trip due to mechanicals. That hot springs is not too far from here and I would love to check it out. And the tire? Like you I got fed up with premature wear and went for Heidies on my F800GS. Got an incredible 22000 kms with more to spare out of em and they will be my replacements on my new bike.
Happy trails.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:34 AM   #95
statsman
Weekend Warrior

Oddometer: 87
Smart move. Always yield to bison.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #96
ElJefeATX OP
OMGban!!!

He didn't even look before merging.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #97
ElJefeATX OP
OMGban!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
Good report. Might try your trip in reverse sometime as I unfortunately had to bypass Austin on my last big trip due to mechanicals. That hot springs is not too far from here and I would love to check it out. And the tire? Like you I got fed up with premature wear and went for Heidies on my F800GS. Got an incredible 22000 kms with more to spare out of em and they will be my replacements on my new bike.
Happy trails.

If you get to Austin let me know.

So yeah. Ride report.

I decided to backtrack to Rapid City and have them just go ahead and replace the front tire too. It didn't look like it was going to last much longer. So I'm rocking a Shinko 705 on the front now. Damn that thing is loud.

Got back to it and had the ride of my life on 16A Keystone to Custer.
Same road we had to turn back from previously because a tour us full of Japanese tourists high centered on a hairpin turn.

That's a must for anyone who likes to ride motorcycles. Had the whole road all to myself.

Saw the buffalo while rolling through Custer State Park.

Or as the waitress called it, Custard State Park. Only buffalo I saw in 2 trips to the park you go to to see buffalo.

Obv did Rushmore and went to the Crazy Horse memorial. Fascinating 70 year work in progress with second generation sculptors taking over as the first pass on.

They have a laser light show at dark, and as impressive as the sculpture and Native American museum are. I gotta say I saw a better laser light show at Foghat in '78

And I did do a Griswold and sleep in that teepee.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:13 PM   #98
ElJefeATX OP
OMGban!!!

Sitting in a picnic shelter in Wheatland WY at the mo, with designs on Estes Park vicinity. Thunderstorms everywhere. Gonna get wet wherever I go...
Old 07-25-2014, 10:11 PM   #99
ElJefeATX OP
OMGban!!!

Austin to Banff on a Tiger 800XC

Cheap hotel, Fort Collins. Managed to dodge all the thunderstorms via Laramie. But crosswinds and tumbleweeds a tried to kill me. A wind gust knocked me into the oncoming lane and that was the last straw. I've never had a bigger oh shit moment on a motorcycle. Parked it at a turnout and found myself Being vigilantly watched by some horses. While I was just waiting for the wind to die down a cyclist doing 4000 miles so far stopped and chatted for a while. He had a tail wind so he was not nearly in the peril I was. He's photo blogging at www.whereswinslow.com. Great writer, nice guy bad-ass quest.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:38 AM   #100
White6Romeo
Because Im Awesome

Oddometer: 320
I got to Ballenger Texas and this happened.

Same thing happened to me in TX a couple years ago. Par for the course when you travel roads in cattle country I guess. Made across 40 into NM before I ever lost any pressure. Fun times:)

White6Romeo screwed with this post 07-26-2014 at 08:44 AM
White6Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #101
paturoa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Are you on your way home again?

I've got a lay day in Prudhoe to do the ocean tour tomorrow. I doubt if I'd get back over Atigan pass today anyway with the snow yesterday. The forecast is a bit warmer for the next couple of days so should be heading south either Sunday afternoon or Monday.

Only 1 bear so far.
paturoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:12 AM   #102
ElJefeATX OP
OMGban!!!

Austin to Banff on a Tiger 800XC

Yep. I'm southbound in Colorado. Gonna hit the trail ridge road today and will find myself in the middle somewhere tonight. Maybe granby or Leadville or silverthorn.

ElJefeATX screwed with this post 07-26-2014 at 12:30 PM
Old 07-27-2014, 04:27 AM   #103
musca999
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Dallas to Banff...

Almost taking the same route. Can't wait to get on 93...
Also the Banff - Jasper ride I am told is amazing!
Old 07-27-2014, 08:28 AM   #104
statsman
Weekend Warrior

Oddometer: 87
Just north of Lake Louise Alberta, you can swing onto a side road and get a glimpse of the spiral tunnels.

Trains will enter at the bottom. You can see the front of the train coming out the top going in the opposite direction. The end of the train is still entering the tunnel.

A real hoot.

Ask at the station what time the next train is due so you don't waste time waiting.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:25 AM   #105
ElJefeATX OP
OMGban!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Just north of Lake Louise Alberta, you can swing onto a side road and get a glimpse of the spiral tunnels.

Trains will enter at the bottom. You can see the front of the train coming out the top going in the opposite direction. The end of the train is still entering the tunnel.

A real hoot.

Ask at the station what time the next train is due so you don't waste time waiting.
Whaaaaaaaaaat????

Now you tell me.