Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #106
ElJefeATX OP
OMGban!!!

Oddometer: 2,013
Did a little bit of fishing in the national park, got a lot wet, and then did some stealth camping atop a mountain outside the park at the suggestion of a park ranger. Saw a black bear in town but couldn't get the camera out before a lady in A minivan scared him off.

ElJefeATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:02 PM   #107
ElJefeATX OP
OMGban!!!

So after fishing and an elk burger in Estes Park, I headed back to the park to see about a campsite. The sign listed several as open earlier but the ranger told me they were all full except one that was an hour away over the Trail Ridge Road. No bueno. TRR at night was not an option.

The ranger told me about a spot up a mountain past some high dollar homes where I could probably get away with parking the bike and putting up a hammock. I was tentative but went to check it out. It was awesome. There was a large area up a twisty dirt road right before a gate to private property. The view was of Estes Park below. I even skipped the hammock and just propped up against a rock, stargazing. The night sky was active and I saw several meteors before falling asleep agains the rock.

I got out of there early just in case anybody came up that way dog walking or whatever. On the ride out I came up on a herd of elk grazing in someone's yard. I got some great video of the elklets frolicking and prancing around. I'll post it later.

I got onto Trail Ridge Road early Sunday Morning. I had it almost to myself. I was surprised how few people were up there.

I met a fellow ADV rider at the Alpine Visitors Center. Darius from Denver headed for Steamboat Springs. I took off a few minutes before he did but he caught up to me and I motioned him ahead. I tried to keep up with him but he was a lot more confident in his mountain riding skills than I, and he left me in the dust.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:09 AM   #108
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
About the fishing. Be taking my fly rod when I head out on a tour east thru US and Canada. Just wondering. Did you just wing it or go the legal route with the licenses? When I'm in the States, do I need a license for the occasional drop in the pond?
Old 07-29-2014, 08:57 AM   #109
ElJefeATX OP
OMGban!!!

Austin to Banff on a Tiger 800XC

I bought licenses for Alberta and Colorado. They were the only places I fished, partly because each state requires a license and that adds up.

I would get licenses because if you get popped the fines can be huge, and in some cases they can impound vehicles and confiscate stuff.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #110
Berger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefeATX View Post
I bought licenses for Alberta and Colorado. They were the only places I fished, partly because each state requires a license and that adds up.

I would get licenses because if you get popped the fines can be huge, and in some cases they can impound vehicles and confiscate stuff.
Yup. Woulda had a game warden continuing this report on his/her Tiger....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723916

Berger screwed with this post 07-29-2014 at 08:14 PM
Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:56 PM   #111
ElJefeATX OP
OMGban!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berger View Post
Yup. Woulda had a game warden continuing this report on his/her Tiger....

Well if you ever see a ranger riding a green Tiger 800 XC, don't tell him about the stepper motor.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:08 AM   #112
Berger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Well if you ever see a ranger riding a green Tiger 800 XC, don't tell him about the stepper motor.
Have you had stepper motor issues on your trip?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723916
Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:48 PM   #113
ElJefeATX OP
OMGban!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berger View Post
Have you had stepper motor issues on your trip?

I don't think so. I was 90% pavement on this trip so I wasn't really worried about it, but there were a few times late in the trip I had a little trouble starting it. Nothing devastating or anything, just 3-4 attempts to get it to start and idle.

Not sure if that is the stepper motor or not. 'll pull the tank soon for post-trip maintenance and we'll see.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:22 AM   #114
ElJefeATX OP
OMGban!!!

6 months of obsessive planning, 28 days on the road, 113 gallons of gas, 99 hours and 45 minutes of riding, 2 sets of tires, one flat tire, one broken brake lever, one desert stranding, one roadside stranding, 13,000 feet of elevation, one day of rock slides and wash-outs, 3 iphone charging cables and other little gadgets destroyed, 3 fish caught, many merit badges earned.

Slept in my own bed last night.

Hard to believe it's over.

I feel like things that happened a week ago happened years ago. It was like 5 adventures in one, sometimes peril and spectacle all at the same time.

I still have reports to file, pictures and video to compile and post, and backtracking to do to get in some of the cooler stories that I couldn't get done on the road. I met lots of interesting people and scratched some stuff off the bucket list.

Not as epic as most of the ride reports here, but pretty epic for this n00b. I could not have done it without researching information provided in these forums. Several events that could have been trip-enders were prevented because of information posted here or responses I got while soliciting information on the road.

There's a lot more to come in retrospect. For this moment, I need to recover from my "vacation".

Old 08-01-2014, 03:44 AM   #115
HPTuner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
That was quite an adventure! I really enjoyed it & thanks for posting. Looking forward to more of the road stories!
HPTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #116
ElJefeATX OP
OMGban!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPTuner View Post
That was quite an adventure! I really enjoyed it & thanks for posting. Looking forward to more of the road stories!
I feel like I barely scratched the surface of what is possible. In retrospect, it was like a scouting ride for places I want to return to to explore. I'm pretty sure the next extended trip will be the Colorado BDR.

Canadian Rockies, Moab, Glacier NP, Black Hills... Must return for extended rides.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #117
TX1911fan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Awesome report. Got me wanting to do the exact same trip. May have a brother or two meet me halfway. Thanks for the great pictures too.
TX1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #118
StrokedNBored
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
I feel like I barely scratched the surface of what is possible. In retrospect, it was like a scouting ride for places I want to return to to explore.
They all end up feeling like that in some way...

Excellent trip and write-up!

Keep the pics and video coming.
If you ever feel like taking a ride out through the hill country, give me a holler.

Brian
StrokedNBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #119
TX1911fan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I'd ride with you guys in the Hill Country too.
TX1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #120
Canadiandad
n00b

Oddometer: 5
You bet brother of mine...just waiting to hear when you want to do this and then I will meet you in southern Utah or northern Arizona and ride back up with you! Can't wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX1911fan View Post
Awesome report. Got me wanting to do the exact same trip. May have a brother or two meet me halfway. Thanks for the great pictures too.
Canadiandad is offline   Reply With Quote