Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
TCXJWAGONEER OP
89 Yamaha Zuma 50cc

Oddometer: 8
Pretty New, Looking to Scooter Travel

Hey Guys,

I have recently thinned down the herd to just one 89 Yamaha Zuma 50cc 2 stroke scooter. It runs pretty well but I am having a few minor issues.
Handle bars and front tire are not lined up
Dies at idle after longer ride. I have an open filter and it looks like that may be some of the issue. Anyone know where to get an air box for these things?
The Started just spins and doesn't start the bike. I have to kick start. Not a big deal except when it dies at a stop light I have to put it on the center stand to start it and then drop it and roll on. Obviously not ideal but a push button start would be nice again.

I am actually looking at a 70cc kit for it to help with hills and such.

I already do the occasional day trip and off road trip with it and I use it around the farm often.

What I am looking for is info on multi-day travel with small cc scooters. I searched and found some but mainly people doing it with 125-150 bikes.

Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone have this scooter model and knows of common issues? what spares should I take? It does have a small rack with cheap box on it. I have considered the milk crate as a better option.

Thanks

Tommy
TCXJWAGONEER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
Was there a specific scooter you were asking about? If so, I didn't see it. People I know who have gone on multiday tours on small scooters have ridden Genuine Buddy 125 - very reliable. Ours has survived being the daily rider for two teenage boys with very few issues. Vespa LX 150, another very reliable scooter. Honda 110 pretty bulletproof.

What people have taken on their trips include tire kit, spare tires (depending on length of trip planned), spare belt & tools to change it. Oil filter and tools to change if the trip is long enough to need one.

When I go on a tour or other long trip I make sure all maintenance is up to date. If any will be due before my planned return either I do it first OR I make arrangements to have it done along the way (aka new tire and oil change on my 4,400 mile trip in 2012) since I don't want to be wrenching.
Buddy 125
Ride reports: My Blog
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
TCXJWAGONEER OP
89 Yamaha Zuma 50cc

It is a Yamaha Zuma 50cc 2 stroke.

Thanks for the info… keep it coming. What are good replacement tires?
Old 09-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
Eliter85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Do you have an in line fuel filter? I have one on my scoot and it got clogged up and that was causing my scooter to die at idle after longer rides. Replaced that and cleared it up. You could also use some carb cleaner and see if that helps at all, your carb could be a bit clogged.

Not too sure what I'd do about the handle bars and wheel not lining up. I'd probably have to take it into a shop and see if they could realign things.

I'm pretty sure there's a ZUMA forum that would have info on the 70cc bore kit. maybe some info on the starter too.

If it's an 89 I'd probably look into replacing all the lines. I'm actually replacing all the lines on my 85 Elite this week. The fuel lines seem to be fine but I know a vac line is damaged. Figured I'd just do em all. Although that probably isn't too high priority.

Maybe do all the routine checks even; brake pads, spark, air filter, etc..

Also if your planning multi day trips adding a CLA outlet is worth it to keep your phone or other electronics charged on the go.

Throw some pics up so we can see what you're working with.

Eliter85 screwed with this post 09-09-2014 at 07:22 PM
Eliter85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:30 AM   #5
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,621
I have found that small displacement scooters aren't that great for long distance travel. Even 125s. They have to be run at full throttle, and that seems to be really hard on the CVT. I have had an '05 Zuma 50, an '07 Honda Met, an '08 Vino 125, and a '12 Zuma 125. While I racked up a lot of miles on them, I never got that far from home. The Vino shredded a belt with only 4,000 miles on it, and left me stranded in the AZ heat for several hours. If you are determined to ride long distance on a small scooter, make sure it is possible to replace a belt beside the road, and carry a spare.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
try this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Traveling-by-Scooter/

happy riding, see you 'out there'....
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #7
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Ah, I thought you were looking for a 100-150cc scooter for touring. Don't know anything about the Zuma but you may want to check the thread about Wan's cross US trip on a Ruckus at http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewto...8bf0af1e833f69
Buddy 125
Old 09-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #8
ghcoe
n00b

The Zuma forum even has a section for scooter camping. There is a guy there that was doing camping trips with his 50cc Zuma. http://www.zumaforums.net/phpBB3/index.php
ghcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Wan seems to be a rare exception. He's on the light side, but I have no idea how he got that Ruckus over mountains. I had a Metropolitan (same engine as the Ruckus) and it stalled completely out and died trying to climb moderate hills. I have heard of people actually walking their scooters uphill, using the scooter engine just to power the scooter while they walked beside it. Being a 2 stroke, the Zuma will have a little more power than the Ruckus/Met.

I did a few 3 day trips on my Vino 125. Didn't have any issues. The belt seems to be the big issue on CVT scooters. Best place for advice and help is www.zumaforums.net for mechanical repairs and modifications. The Zuma 50cc 2 stroke is probably the best 50cc 2 stroke out there. My stock '05 ran circles around the 4 stroke Met, but had about the same top speed.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:18 PM   #10
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,885
Glass half full or half empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Wan seems to be a rare exception. He's on the light side, but I have no idea how he got that Ruckus over mountains. I had a Metropolitan (same engine as the Ruckus) and it stalled completely out and died trying to climb moderate hills. I have heard of people actually walking their scooters uphill, using the scooter engine just to power the scooter while they walked beside it. Being a 2 stroke, the Zuma will have a little more power than the Ruckus/Met.

I did a few 3 day trips on my Vino 125. Didn't have any issues. The belt seems to be the big issue on CVT scooters. Best place for advice and help is www.zumaforums.net for mechanical repairs and modifications. The Zuma 50cc 2 stroke is probably the best 50cc 2 stroke out there. My stock '05 ran circles around the 4 stroke Met, but had about the same top speed.
Well some are half empty types, and others are half full types. People ride small displacement scooters all the time....they are half full personalities. If its do-able someone will/has/can. Attitude is the difference.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #11
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Funny neither the Ruckus nor the Yamaha C3 scooter rider in the 2010 Scooter Cannonball seemed to have a problem crossing more than one mountain range.
Buddy 125
Old 09-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #12
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
Funny neither the Ruckus nor the Yamaha C3 scooter rider in the 2010 Scooter Cannonball seemed to have a problem crossing more than one mountain range.
Strange, but not funny. My Met simply would not climb. Even on a very moderate grade, it would drop down below 10 mph, and you could hear the engine knocking and pinging, exactly the same thing that happens when a manual transmission motorcycle is a gear or two too high. Both my Yamaha 125s did a lot better, they slowed way down on moderate grades, but kept going. But a steep grade stopped them in their tracks.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #13
TCXJWAGONEER OP
89 Yamaha Zuma 50cc

Thanks guys,

I have been reading the posts and suggestions and it looks like I have a lot of good info to go on.

My goal is the do the 70cc big bore kit on it and make it as reliable as possible. This would give me some umph for uphills but still keep me cruising in the low 40's.

I will be doing on road, off road touring and only for a few days at a time... 3-4 days max starting out.

It sounds like if I am going to go with a 50cc the Zuma is about the best there is for power/ reliability.

I am looking for function not fancy. My plastic is faded and chipped and that is ok with me as long as it runs well. I am sure I will have other questions but for now I will just start posting here with build information. I will try and grab a few photos this weekend. I think a buddy who has a newer zuma 50 and I are going to go for a ride and explore some of the local east TN area.

Keep the info coming, especially interested in how to give the scooter a little lift 2" or so and how to build a front rack for it.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #14
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
If you want to keep it most reliable keep it stock. If you do go with the big bore then keep everything else stock: intake/exhuast. A different variator would be good...can't remember if the zuma had a restrictor at the variator or not...
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:51 AM   #15
gmac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
From the half full department;

http://scootercanada.weebly.com/index.html

Two up over the Canadian Rockies and across Canada - on a Yamaha C3.

+1 on DaBinChe's comments

cheers Garry
gmac is offline   Reply With Quote