Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2014, 09:13 AM   #16
Celtic Curmudgeon
Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
The internal drop-down shades aren't normally at the same quality of a regualr pair of sunglasses. Living in south Florida, all many of the drop-downs seem to do is tint the bright sun and surroundings without actually helping
I've noticed this too. I have a Bell Revolver, and the drop-down shield isn't dark enough to really matter, and the optical quality is poor. Bell makes a darker one that I've considered getting, but haven't made up my mind.

A lot of people who have the Transitions auto-darkening claim they'll never use anything else, but they are expensive.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:47 AM   #17
combustor777
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
As to the shield storage problem for day/night...Check your riding jacket. Several that I have owned (joe rocket comes to mind) have an internal zippered shield sleeve built in around the left or right waist (3 or 9 oclock position) and the curve of the shield fits into the contour of the jacket/body perfectly! Great for those days when you don't want/need tank bag or saddle bags and have the day/night transitional riding.

edit: on one they were even kind enough to label it

Name:  20140629_115754[1]1.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  186.9 KB

combustor777 screwed with this post 06-29-2014 at 10:02 AM
combustor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #18
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
lmao many others have a much different experience so you must be buying either defective helmets or cheapo helmets or simply never thought of buying a helmet with an internal shade so you bash them online lol.
Really?

Do you require me to take pictures of my helmet collection?

Do you really feel that's the type of person who visits this site?

You're an ass, and I'm not the type to bash something I haven't owned, nor would it eve occur to me that people would spend the time doing so on ADV rider.

Listen up, troll: you posted in a thread for "ny, nj, pa " people. You don't know what the sun is like down here, so shut your dumb-ass pie-hole.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:02 AM   #19
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
I use a Bell Transitions shield that darkens automatically in bright light, and is clear enough for night time use.
It's great, I never need to switch between regular glasses and sun glasses, no extra mechanism in the helmet, no shield switching.

I don't think they are available for any other helmet brand though.
The only downside is that it should be protected from light when not in use, I don't have a top box so I keep a helmet bag with me to slip over the helmet when I'm parked.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #20
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
Transitions photochromic shield. best of both worlds. I've been using one since last summer on my bell. it's awesome. changes darkness fast enough that it's never an issue. altho it does change a little slower when it's really cold. it's expensive but it really is like having 3 shields, so it's worth it, imo.
cccolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:35 AM   #21
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
I use both tinted and clear shields on my HJC helmet. It takes maybe 30 seconds to swap out the shield. It really is no different then from when I would bounce back and forth between prescription sun glasses and normal prescription glasses. The shield just happens to follow the contour on my tail bag perfectly, so I really do not have issues with bringing two shields around every where, or notice a loss in storage space.

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:37 AM   #22
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnutzy View Post
I use both tinted and clear shields on my HJC helmet. It takes maybe 30 seconds to swap out the shield. It really is no different then from when I would bounce back and forth between prescription sun glasses and normal prescription glasses. The shield just happens to follow the contour on my tail bag perfectly, so I really do not have issues with bringing two shields around every where, or notice a loss in storage space.
This is exactly what I do.

It's much easier to flip up a screen when you enter a tunnel than it is to take off sunglasses.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:31 PM   #23
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,415
You're a helmet

Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #24
DarkFlames
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
The OP wears an rf1100. Swapping visors on that helmet is a breeze (I own one as well). Always been a big fan of tinted visors but must admit that I got caught riding for longer than anticipated a few times. You then have a dark visor in low light conditions. . I think my next lid will have internal tinted visor...
DarkFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:56 PM   #25
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Really?

You're an ass, and I'm not the type to bash something I haven't owned, nor would it eve occur to me that people would spend the time doing so on ADV rider.

Listen up, troll: you posted in a thread for "ny, nj, pa " people. You don't know what the sun is like down here, so shut your dumb-ass pie-hole.
Calm down tough guy, the internal shield on a quality helmet is optically clear as the external shield. I have a RPHA Max helmet sitting right here and the quality is excellent and it is truly optically clear. Sorry your gmax helmet or what ever you tried did not work out for you. No need to get angry.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:57 PM   #26
JT105
Ridin' the Desk

Oddometer: 8
I used to run with a tinted shield. It was also coated (mirror-like) on the outside. I loved it in the summer and in the morning while driving into the sun. I would carry a pair of clear safety glasses if I was out past dark.

Now I have done a complete 180. I have a clear shield and wear sunglasses. I like having the glasses to wear after I get to where I am going. Also, when it gets hot, I can flip up the visor for more ventilation and still have both shade and eye protection.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:07 PM   #27
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 759
Color mirrored shield + polarized sunglasses = psychedelic riding
Old 06-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #28
Vulfy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
I used to have one of the Shark helmets with a drop down sun visor. It was the best helmet I've ever owned, just due to that one little feature.

If I didn't hate glasses and the feeling of something on the bridge of my nose, I probably would wear sunglasses with the clear visor. Its a lot more modular and convenient system, than just a tinted visor.

However I run tinted visors all the time. Bright sun and bright reflections on the road, strain my eyes quite a bit, and I find myself squinting and tiring out faster with a clear visor on a sunny day.

I do not carry a clear visor with me. Darkened visors are still manageable in the evening / night. Not ideal, but if you are in an urban environment, there is plenty of light on the road to let you see what is going on. I did once had to travel two hours on a country road with a dark visor and even that wasn't too bad. I wouldn't want to do it again, but if you are caught out, its doable.

If its a constant thing where you need dark visor in the morning/day, and then you come back on a dark road at night, than I would opt out for a clear visor with sunglasses, rather than to carry an extra piece of plastic with me.

Best of course is the helmet with an inner dark visor that you can pop down/up whenever you need it.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:28 PM   #29
warrior1677
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Really?

i live in central FL. i have used both changeable face-shield and drop down while the drop down isn't as dark as the swap it is dark enough and i would rather use my drop down. i hate wearing glasses under my helmet, because when i move my head the glasses move and become uncomfortable.
by the way you did sound like you were bashing tinted shields pretty aggressively when you could have just said you don't like the way they work

"Ladies, if your man puts straight gas in a chainsaw, you have a girlfriend." gtn
warrior1677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:21 PM   #30
D R
----

Oddometer: 483
I prefer a clear visor with sunglasses underneath. The sunglasses I use are these:

http://www.galeton.com/outlaw-gray-lens/9302-product/

The ear piece is flat and slides easily inside the helmet. Being safety glasses they meet OSHA standards for impact resistance. They are also UVb rated. They come in multiple shades included clear. They fit so comfortably, when I'm wearing the clear glasses, I sometimes double check to ensure I actually put them on.

Given the low cost, I have a large box of them in my closet at home for use as needed.

Carrying a couple of extra pair takes less room than an extra visor or two.