Oddometer: 733
Ls2 386

I wear this and love it. I think it's an incredible deal for $180:

IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:40 PM   #32
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,235
I normally ride with a smoke shield with a pair of dark safety glasses. The bright Texas sun can bother me.

In my tank bag, I carry a pair of yellow safety glasses. On trips, I carry a clear shield, as well.

These alternatives give me plenty of options...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:58 PM   #33
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,280
I always use a tinted shield. Actually it's called Blue Metal on a Nolan N103. The helmet also has the drop down sun shade that I use once in awhile. Don't ride at night anymore
05-GS- Rock Red 91k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #34
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior1677 View Post
i live in central FL. i have used both changeable face-shield and drop down while the drop down isn't as dark as the swap it is dark enough and i would rather use my drop down. i hate wearing glasses under my helmet, because when i move my head the glasses move and become uncomfortable.
by the way you did sound like you were bashing tinted shields pretty aggressively when you could have just said you don't like the way they work
Sorry if I came out that way, but what I've found is that mere darker plastic hardly makes up for what a proper pair of sunglasses blocks. A shield can be dark and still near useless in the sun and glare of Florida super-slab.

Perhaps there are a very few internal visors made by companies who also make sunglasses, but I've worn most types of helmet that actually fits my head (long oval) with them to test them, and found them lacking. Even with sunglasses, the actual quality of the plastic lens on flip-downs still looks useless, and doesn't aid the sunglasses at all (unless mere darkening of the peripherals counts as aiding).

Not sure about you, but I take whatever helmet I'm wearing into the store to buy sunglasses, and choose my fit appropriately. I've never had sunglasses move to the degree that you state while off-road, or the years of sport bikes and cruisers I've ridden. Just never thought it a problem - and, really, can't understand it considering I expect my helmets to fit so that they aren't moving around either... there's no way sunglasses would have the room to move; they're just about locked in to the helmet's insides.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:14 AM   #35
go4mini
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
ARAI shields are a pain in the ass to change. Even with that, I use a tinted shield in the day, and a clear at night. I took an old towel, and sewed up a bag just the size of the shield. The shield that I'm not using goes in my tank bag, and fits perfectly. And I don't have to worry about scratches. I, also, wear script glasses, and was never satisfied with script shades.
go4mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:51 AM   #36
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Keep your spare shield in a sock. No scratches.
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:10 AM   #37
Ravedigger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Curmudgeon View Post
I've noticed this too. I have a Bell Revolver, and the drop-down shield isn't dark enough to really matter, and the optical quality is poor. Bell makes a darker one that I've considered getting, but haven't made up my mind.

A lot of people who have the Transitions auto-darkening claim they'll never use anything else, but they are expensive.
I rock a Bell Star with a transitions visor. Sometimes I forget that I even have it because it always lets the correct amount of light in.

The visor itself is only 120 dollars. Well worth it in my opinion. I even drilled two holes in mine to install a DIY pinlock kit.

I wear non-sunglass prescription glasses under my helmet, so wearing sunglasses or using a flip-down visor wasn't an option for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2014, 08:19 AM   #38
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,941
I wear prescription glasses, so it isn't much trouble to carry prescription sunglasses as well. I usually want them for when I get off the bike anyway.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:29 AM   #39
McAninch35
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Curmudgeon View Post
A lot of people who have the Transitions auto-darkening claim they'll never use anything else, but they are expensive.
The ones available are, but I've got a Lazer helmet that came with the shield (they're doing a promo where you get the Transitions shield free).

The helmets too small for me so I'm selling it, but the visor is awesome. They claim it drops down to 20% light transmission, which is definitely good enough for me, and never having to worry about a shield change or sunglasses is a godsend. I even have a Pinlock on it.
McAninch35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #40
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
I normally ride with a smoke shield with a pair of dark safety glasses. The bright Texas sun can bother me.

In my tank bag, I carry a pair of yellow safety glasses. On trips, I carry a clear shield, as well.

These alternatives give me plenty of options...

NFE
I used a tinted shield and sunglasses at the same time. I find that glare tires my eyes too. I do not ride at night here- too many large animals around.

Our daughter has a Transitions shield on her Bell helmet and REALLY likes it.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:41 AM   #41
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,614
I use a tinted visor, as dark as I can find. I've had helmets with the drop-down sunshades, but I just don't like them as much due to the optical quality (yet another layer of plastic that I have to look through -- I wear prescription glasses) and how easily they get dusty and scratched up. Sometimes I will even wear my prescription sunglasses with the tinted visor if it's bright and sunny.

I always bring a clear shield with me, unless I know that I'm just going to be out for a little while with no risk of heavy clouds or night.

As an added benefit, a good tinted visor really reduces the radiant heat on my face, which can be a big deal down here.

James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:19 AM   #42
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,205
I have an afx dual sport helmet. I have a darrrrk visor that I love using in the the hot sun, then I carry goggles in my backpack for night riding or dirt. I just flip the visor up and throw them on. Well....That's what I used to do, before I lost them around Jackson Hole, WY.....

Sent from an iPad aspiring to be a laptop.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #43
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,445
I have the blue iridium on my Arai, and really like it. I carry a clear shield in a Shield Sak, which makes it easy to carry. I went to buy another, and it appears they've gone under.
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:33 AM   #44
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Really?

Do you require me to take pictures of my helmet collection?

Do you really feel that's the type of person who visits this site?

You're an ass, and I'm not the type to bash something I haven't owned, nor would it eve occur to me that people would spend the time doing so on ADV rider.

Listen up, troll: you posted in a thread for "ny, nj, pa " people. You don't know what the sun is like down here, so shut your dumb-ass pie-hole.

Quit holding back, tell him what you really think!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:37 AM   #45
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by combustor777 View Post
As to the shield storage problem for day/night...Check your riding jacket. Several that I have owned (joe rocket comes to mind) have an internal zippered shield sleeve built in around the left or right waist (3 or 9 oclock position) and the curve of the shield fits into the contour of the jacket/body perfectly! Great for those days when you don't want/need tank bag or saddle bags and have the day/night transitional riding.

edit: on one they were even kind enough to label it

Attachment 321163
That's fine for those who want to swap out shields. I don't due to time dealing with a helmet sheild.

BUT, I have learned something - the inner pocket. That's good information for those who prefer to do so and I shall remember it and probably look for that feature in coats when goofing around. Seems it could do more than just store a shield.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550

markk53 screwed with this post 07-01-2014 at 06:47 AM
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote