Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #91
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki01 View Post
Thank you! An inexpensive solution I'm going to try. I was thinking about sun glasses or tinted visors but really just need the shade for just a couple times during a ride. I really liked those helmets that have the built in visors you could pull down and up but more of an investment I want to make right now.
You could install a pair of tear-off studs in the visor and use tinted tear-offs.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #92
wadenelson
Rider/Writer

Oddometer: 550
For riding into the sun

Here's a $0.25 mod I've made to several of my visors for riding into the sun.

Painters tape along the bottom.

I simply flip the shield up to where the tape blocks the direct sunlight and let my glasses provide the wind protection.

Maybe it's because I wear glasses but direct sunlight just kills my eyes, and the attenuation from sunglasses isn't adequate.

A tinted shield PLUS sunglasses and I lose too much visual acuity.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2014, 05:26 PM   #93
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
I've never owned a tinted helmet visor. I'm typically a clear visor sunglasses type of rider. Is a tinted visor worth the trouble? I would guess you would always need to carry both,

I know, a dumb thread here, but I was just looking for some opinions.
I run tinted during the day no matter what. I used to run sunglasses with a tinted visor. No I have the transition prescription glasses so they don't turn inside the visor.

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #94
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,666
First thing I do with every helmet purchase is get a tinted visor. I wear prescription glasses so ridings at night I'll lift the visor and the glasses provide protection and if I move the windshield a little (FJR) I can ride in rain and my glasses won't get wet.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:47 AM   #95
cellige
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki01 View Post
Thank you! An inexpensive solution I'm going to try. I was thinking about sun glasses or tinted visors but really just need the shade for just a couple times during a ride. I really liked those helmets that have the built in visors you could pull down and up but more of an investment I want to make right now.
No problem :) I really think the tinted bit at the top of a visor should just be standard on the visor that comes with a helmet.. When the sun hits me, if anything all I have to do is tilt my head slightly, much better than having to reach up to a lever.
cellige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #96
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 23,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
What da hell?

Most shields are easy as hell to change, even my Arai which is notorious for having a WTF(?) shield system can be changed in all of 10 seconds, it tales me longer to get the levers out than it does to get the other shield on.

I had an EX1000 with the drop down, that damn lid was heavy, heavy, heavy, and the visor wasn't worth the neck strain over my X-11 or Corsair, so its on perma-back up duty, I haven't even taken it out of the box in like 2 years.
Nah, they are a pain in the ass.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:50 PM   #97
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,494
Arai Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
Nah, they are a pain in the ass.
Watch the video. After that, and doing it a couple of times, it really isn't the plastic flying everywhere nightmare that people are whining about.
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #98
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Watch the video. After that, and doing it a couple of times, it really isn't the plastic flying everywhere nightmare that people are whining about.
Yeah its an act of faith popping the damn things back in the first few times though.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:25 AM   #99
Cav47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellige View Post
No problem :) I really think the tinted bit at the top of a visor should just be standard on the visor that comes with a helmet.. When the sun hits me, if anything all I have to do is tilt my head slightly, much better than having to reach up to a lever.
Go out and look at your car windshield. Up near the top is a thing called a shade band. It fades from clear to dark to solid. Standard equipment on every windshield sold in pretty much the entire world. Not sure why the moto shield community has not been forced into having something similar legislated at them.

Current 2004 Yamaha FJR ABS
Cav47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:51 PM   #100
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav47 View Post
Go out and look at your car windshield. Up near the top is a thing called a shade band. It fades from clear to dark to solid. Standard equipment on every windshield sold in pretty much the entire world. Not sure why the moto shield community has not been forced into having something similar legislated at them.
Because you can change a visor, changing a windshield is significantly trickier.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:19 PM   #101
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav47 View Post
My 2014 Toyota does not have a shade band. It has a small shade rhombus behind the rearview mirror. For the rest of the windshield I guess they are counting on the occupants to flip down the sun visors.
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:37 PM   #102
Cav47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paebr332 View Post
My 2014 Toyota does not have a shade band. It has a small shade rhombus behind the rearview mirror. For the rest of the windshield I guess they are counting on the occupants to flip down the sun visors.
Wow. Almost scary to think that occupants may actually be able to be safe on their own. I wish my grandfather was still alive. He was in charge of all glass in North America for LOF-Pilkington. He was awesome to hear talk about cars and production

Current 2004 Yamaha FJR ABS
Cav47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:58 PM   #103
windblown101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
I used to wear a smoke tinted visor on my Shoei on the street quite often. I never found it to be a big problem to slip my clear visor in the tail pack and swap out visors if I was out after dark.

Then one day I nearly crashed in a turn when my front washed out on some fine dark gray gravel that was across the road in a corner. I was so surprised that I didn't see the gravel sooner that I stopped and turned around to get a 2nd look. Once back on the scene I flipped the visor up and down a couple of times and realized I could see the gravel much better with the visor up.

Now I rarely use a tinted visor except when doing a trackday.

I reckon eveyones visual acuity is a bit different. YMMV.
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:58 AM   #104
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellige View Post
The speed tint darkness is perfect, you can almost look right at the sun through it, but still transparent enough that you can see stop lights etc, something you can't do with electrical tape.

I am in the electrical tape user group. At various times of the year my morning commute has the sun directly in front of me, right at the horizon. I have the tape doubled up (2 thicknesses) to completely block the sun.

Traffic lights? Shield would be flipped up anyway.

Besides, the amount of electrical tape I use for the shield must cost all of 1 or 2 cents.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #105
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfields_228 View Post
Bell Transitions shield since late 2010 and could not get by without it.
(SNIP IT GOOD)Here in Florida there is so much fine sand on the road that I theorize that the abrasive nature of the sand wears the Photo-chromatic coating off. I use only distilled water to clean it.
Um. You know that distilled water- nothing but H2O- is a pretty good solvent, right? That's why "water" usually has so much other stuff in it. If you're really using distilled water to clean your visor, it may be what's eating the tint coatings off your visors.

A thought to people who like riding with their visors up. The standard for a motorcycle helmet visor (VESC-8) calls for it to withstand a direct hit from a 1 oz steel ball bearing fired at 120mph without breaking or detaching from the helmet. I may, on occasion, crack mine open for a little airflow, but any time I'm moving more than 20mph, I want it between me and the world... and I've taken to carrying / wearing ballistic safety glasses in clear and tinted. They're cheap enough I don't get upset when I forget them somewhere.

All that said- yesterday I had my visor cracked about an inch and took a bumble bee to the face at about 50mph. FOOKING OW. (Riding the FJR- with windshield about halfway up. How the hell do bugs a) know they have a shot, and b) make that gap?)
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote