Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 08:23 AM   #106
combustor777
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Um. You know that distilled water- nothing but H2O- is a pretty good solvent, right? That's why "water" usually has so much other stuff in it. If you're really using distilled water to clean your visor, it may be what's eating the tint coatings off your visors.

A thought to people who like riding with their visors up. The standard for a motorcycle helmet visor (VESC-8) calls for it to withstand a direct hit from a 1 oz steel ball bearing fired at 120mph without breaking or detaching from the helmet. I may, on occasion, crack mine open for a little airflow, but any time I'm moving more than 20mph, I want it between me and the world... and I've taken to carrying / wearing ballistic safety glasses in clear and tinted. They're cheap enough I don't get upset when I forget them somewhere.

All that said- yesterday I had my visor cracked about an inch and took a bumble bee to the face at about 50mph. FOOKING OW. (Riding the FJR- with windshield about halfway up. How the hell do bugs a) know they have a shot, and b) make that gap?)
Interesting, I didn't know that about helmet visor standards!
I have hit enough things right in the visor that I personally don't ride with it up either (unless stopped). It's incredible how much energy a little speed will give a small object. I hit a pretty good size bird (might have been a duck?) right in the middle of a cockpit windshield going at least 400 knots (~460 mph). (Its fairly common to hit birds near airports, but going a LOT slower, this was at higher altitude and very unusual) Inside the cockpit you could feel the concussion through to your bones, like the shockwave of an explosion. Thing just popped like a brown water balloon on there, not even a crack. Must be the toughest part of the airplane.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:25 AM   #107
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 729
Quote:

How the hell do bugs a) know they have a shot, and b) make that gap?)

I dunno... ...but they are pretty damned good at it.

Maybe it's just persistence?

I had a buddy from Iceland, big bastard named Magnus Bjarneson, out on a city tour.

While doddling through a school zone, he suddenly jumped off the back of the bike!!

I stop, and there he is, cursing loudly and wrestling a hornet in front of the horrified children.

It had flown into his helmet; stung him 3 times.

Luckily the cursing was in Icelandic, but still really funny for all observers.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:34 AM   #108
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 551
This http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...o-shade-system

Works a treat. Not cheap I know but worth it IMHO.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #109
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post
I stop, and there he is, cursing loudly and wrestling a hornet in front of the horrified children.

It had flown into his helmet; stung him 3 times.

Luckily the cursing was in Icelandic, but still really funny for all observers.
Not quite so funny for the participant...

I had a bee and a wasp come over the windshield of the Aprilia, bounce off the tankbag into my Arai, and ricochet off my sunglasses. The wasp was trapped between my left eye & sunglasses, the bee was back by my right ear.

At that point I broke two world records: Shortest stopping distance from 70mph, and fastest removal of a motorcycle helmet.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #110
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:

I had a bee and a wasp come over the windshield of the Aprilia, bounce off the tankbag into my Arai, and ricochet off my sunglasses. The wasp was trapped between my left eye & sunglasses, the bee was back by my right ear.

At that point I broke two world records: Shortest stopping distance from 70mph, and fastest removal of a motorcycle helmet.
Depending on the order you performed these actions, you might have set an additional record.....
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #111
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I may have tied that record yesterday, except I was on a track doing a fair clip over 70mph when the bee came in. (Again, how do they do that?)

I got the helmet off and he (She, technically) was busy stinging the crap out of my helmet liner by my right cheek.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #112
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,141
Get a dark yellow shield, you will never go back. They work great in bright light, rain, and are suitable for night riding. They bring out the contract so if t=you ride tree lined roads, they work like magic when riding in and out of shadows.

Shooters and Pilots learned the lesson years ago, Moto riders seem to be behind.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #113
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
A thought to people who like riding with their visors up. The standard for a motorcycle helmet visor (VESC-8) calls for it to withstand a direct hit from a 1 oz steel ball bearing fired at 120mph without breaking or detaching from the helmet.
Um, you may want to revisit you claim on the impact test for VESC-8.
Here is the link...
http://www.vesc.org/Media/VESC%20V-8...Protection.pdf
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:20 AM   #114
Kafn8td
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Arai dark tinted shield with Maui Jim sunglasses sun up to down. If it rains I pull the glasses. At night I put a clear on or flip the tinted shield up and use clear safety glasses.

UV light from the sun is one of the worst things for your eyes...other than a rock at 65mph.
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:03 PM   #115
GroceryRun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Do the inner drop down visors meet the VESC-8 standards ?
GroceryRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:50 PM   #116
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
I recently bought a Scorpion 900 Transform helmet. The pop down visor is dark and is pretty darn good optically, I wear prescription glasses (transitions) and wanted a helmet that went on over them easy. This one does pretty well.

Its seems fairly quiet, the drop down mechanism works, its a flip up front style so I can put it on without taking off my glasses. Ventilation is good as well. It also has the pocket for the Bluetooth radio module on the side.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #117
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
Um, you may want to revisit you claim on the impact test for VESC-8.
Here is the link...
http://www.vesc.org/Media/VESC%20V-8...Protection.pdf
It must be true, I read it on the interwebz. OK, I was wrong- 1.56 oz (~40g) @ 20mph ("free fall from 14 feet")... 1.77 Joules

OTOH, Snell's is tougher- 1g @ 500kph... 9.45 Joules.
http://www.smf.org/standards/m/2010/m2010_final
Old 07-21-2014, 12:02 AM   #118
GreyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I wear prescription glasses (never learned how to wear contacts). On a regular commute, I use my Nolan N44 with an integral tinted inner visor; it's really convenient to flip it up if it suddenly gets dark (like going through tunnels).

There's a regulation to how dark these integral visors are allowed to be though, which is annoying (since, IIRC, regular tinted visors don't have the same limit). For really bright days (and when I know we won't passing through tunnels), I prefer sunglasses.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:32 PM   #119
Shalpher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I like the AFX-39 DS helmet which has an external sun visor (dark) which goes over the clear visor and can be used with the shade peak in place as well. Goggles also can go under the clear shield and external sun shade. I have had this helmet for over a year now and it's a favorite and not too much $. There is a new version out now AFX-41 which has an inner sun shade. I prefer the FX-39 external as I can wear my clear goggles and flip down the visor/shade combo for a short time if needed.
http://www.afxhelmets.com/usa/dualSport/index.html

"It's time to start living the life you imagined." - Henry James
Shalpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #120
Milsparro
Rednerd

Oddometer: 51
I run an icon Airmada, if I'm going on a trip I carry the stock clear and the "normal" dark tint one (see avatar)... the dark tint one, no idea how it works, but I can ride direct into the sun with it...