Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2005, 08:02 PM   #1
the gimp OP
n00b Extrordinaire

Oddometer: 188
Death. And why you're more likely to be dead on a scoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
I passed a Dodge Caravan.

Lucky she didn't know I was there. If she had floored it, it woulda been all over.
My first post here was one of concern, and concern has continued to be my stance.

My question? Are you more likely to die on a scooter because of a)your squidlyness, and b)underpoweredness... or are the statistics buggered because of the tourists renting scoots without any training?
Old 10-02-2005, 08:14 PM   #2
the gimp OP
n00b Extrordinaire

So you do, or do not think they are more dangerous than the average cycle?
Old 10-02-2005, 08:15 PM   #3
Bayou Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakernks
You're out of your ever lovin' mind. Stop giving n00bs a bad name. I could post every minute for the next 3 months and I'll still be the n00b around here, but so help me if you insist on antagonizing motorcycle enthusiasts with your death and gore line of thinking I'll personally take pleasure in burning you to the ground with MY version of verbal gore for every post you ever think about making. SHUT UP and go do something useful somewhere, anywhere, but get off ME.
Okay

We now return to our regularly scheduled ADVrider BS.
Bayou Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 08:23 PM   #4
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by the gimp
I dunno.
But I have a feeling some people much more knowledgable than I are gonna wade in here.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:29 PM   #5
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,212
Quote:
No.

It's going to be the rider that determines the safety of the bike. Their skills and judgement.

As far as the safety of the ride, that's also determined by the other drivers sharing that road..

In any MSF BRC course, the skills emphasis is on turning and braking. Not putting the spurs to it. The classroom portion emphasizes strategies for staying safe (SEE and Rider Radar).

In motorcycling, you're most apt to be killed by a driver turning left, and overshooting a curve. (The proper cornering technique is hammered hard in MSF for that reason).

Neither one of those situations is mitigated by having more horsepower.

I have owned a chinese scooter, which most people pick on incessantly. Not bottom of the barrel cheap, but not Kymco or Peugeot quality, either. At NO point did I feel unsafe by virtue of it's design, build, braking, or engine output. I was able to stop on the proverbial dime. I was able to corner hard enough on its cheap Cheng Shin tires to get a knee down.

It's not the machine.

Proper training and utilizing that training is important.

The bike displacement or frame design on a DOT spec bike has nothing to do with it.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 08:38 PM   #6
the gimp OP
n00b Extrordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
Proper training and utilizing that training is important.

The bike displacement or frame design on a DOT spec bike has nothing to do with it.
I agree with you on your first point and that is my greatest concern with the <50cc class. The rider requires nothing. In some places they don;t even need a drivers licence!

The previously mentioned inexperienced rider on a machine that can barely do 30mph flat out is a danger. DOT rating may or may not have anything to do with it, but horsepower does!

In my MSF class (years ago) the instructors pointed out the horsepower advantage of a cycle. In the case of the class the biikes were 500cc cruisers. Those cruisers could throttle their way out of a situation where an unsuspecting scooter rider would be crushed. Having been riding for years I can count on one hand the times where I truly have needed more than 500cc, but the first time could have been my demise if i were on a 50cc.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:26 PM   #7
Marc
Just sayin...

Oddometer: 8,967
So Gimp, I'm thinking about getting a 50cc scooter for my daily freeway commute into Seattle across the 520 floating bridge. There's a lot of traffic running > 60 MPH, high cross winds and no turn outs or emergency lane - only a metal rail. My Chinaco scooter salesman tells me "no problem."

Any thoughts? Any statistics?
Old 10-02-2005, 10:46 PM   #8
MotoMind
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
My Chinaco scooter salesman tells me "no problem."

Statistic for you: When a salesman says something, 99% of the time, they're either lying, or they're just not telling you the truth.
MotoMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:05 AM   #9
VespaFitz
No-good-son-of-a-bitch

Oddometer: 41,051
Quote:
So Gimp, I'm thinking about getting a 50cc scooter for my daily freeway commute into Seattle across the 520 floating bridge. There's a lot of traffic running > 60 MPH, high cross winds and no turn outs or emergency lane - only a metal rail. My Chinaco scooter salesman tells me "no problem."

Did the same guy hand the keys to a Hyabusa to a newly minted motorcycle endorsement holder?

Same difference.

AKA "Ham Steak" - Bumfucked Hillbillies MC
VespaFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:10 AM   #10
VespaFitz
No-good-son-of-a-bitch

Oddometer: 41,051
Quote:
I agree with you on your first point and that is my greatest concern with the <50cc class. The rider requires nothing. In some places they don;t even need a drivers licence!

The previously mentioned inexperienced rider on a machine that can barely do 30mph flat out is a danger. DOT rating may or may not have anything to do with it, but horsepower does!

In my MSF class (years ago) the instructors pointed out the horsepower advantage of a cycle. In the case of the class the biikes were 500cc cruisers. Those cruisers could throttle their way out of a situation where an unsuspecting scooter rider would be crushed. Having been riding for years I can count on one hand the times where I truly have needed more than 500cc, but the first time could have been my demise if i were on a 50cc.
Having been riding for a decade or so, including a year when I rode in and out of Boston every single day, I can't recall an instance where I've "throttled out of a situation."

I've braked out of a situation plenty of times. I've swerved out of a situation as well. But throttled? Nope. Can't recall doing that.

Anybody ever "throttled out of a situation" on a bicycle?

AKA "Ham Steak" - Bumfucked Hillbillies MC
VespaFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 02:22 PM   #11
MMcnamara
Where does that go?

Oddometer: 2,004
Quote:
My Chinaco scooter salesman tells me "no problem."

I have both:

You'll be fine. It's not too far to the water.

9 out of 10 customers have done no research prior to purchase.

"Is them tars good?"
"90,000 mile warranty"
"Yep, mount 'em up"
Old 10-03-2005, 02:31 PM   #12
EatAtJoes
Ed Venture Heir

Oddometer: 6,771
Concern for my personal safety is the same whether I'm on my KZ1300 or my Ruckus.

The only bike that I never really felt safe on was my old Penton Mint 400, and that's because it had too much motor.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:11 PM   #13
S Won
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Yamaha Zuma 49cc

Every now and then, I commute 25 miles one way to work on my 2003 Yamaha Zuma scooter. I have never had a problem in traffic. I have one stretch of dangerous highway that is posted 55mph. It's about a 4 miles long. All I do is keep to the right side of my lane. If a car comes up behind me, I lightly tap on the front brake lever to flash my taillight. The cars, trucks or rigs pull right in behind me and are very considerate of me and my little slow scooter. I wave them around when there's enough room and give them a little wave. They usually give me a little beep, beep! I love riding the scooter. Great fun! When I get into town and the speedlimits go down, I can throttle around with wreckless abandon and split lanes. It's much faster and easier to get through town on the scooter, than it is on my 950 Adventure!

When I stop at the gas station to fuel it up, it's usually for free. I stick the nozzle in the fuel tank and tip the hose up and get the gas left in the hose from the last customer. It only holds 1.5 gallons so it not hard to fill it up. I ride to work for free and my buddies at work are paying big bucks to fill the tanks of the new pickups they bought with Employee pricing discounts.

Sometimes they hate me!

S Won
S Won is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 12:47 AM   #14
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:

Tuck across the mid-span, wear a life jacket, and don't forget to let go of the bars before the splashdown.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:44 AM   #15
donsolo
MasterOfLosingMaps

Oddometer: 156
87% of all statistics are made up!

33% of all men wear women's underwear...incorrectly.