User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #1
SuperBonBon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
2-into-1 Remus Roxx vs Wings...vs Stock

As the thread title suggests, I'm contemplating getting a 2-into-1 exhaust for my 2006 950 Adventure.

I have reasons for wanting to keep the stock exhaust: overall sound and sound level, and they're already on the bike. I like QUIET exhaust....period.

I have all the typical reasons for wanting to go 2-into-1: weight loss, heat loss, and space to put an external tank.

Overall, I'd rather stick with the quiet stock exhaust and deal with the weight and heat, rather than spend $900 on something that may not completely appeal to me...for now at any rate.

I think I've read every thread here on ADVRider and on the internet in general regarding exhaust options for the 950 (both 2-into-1 and 2-into-2), and have found slightly conflicting information on the Remus Roxx. I do not doubt the quality of this system, but opinions vary as to actual sound/sound level. I've heard the various available clips on YouTube comparing exhaust sounds, and from what I've heard the Remus sounds "a touch louder than stock", which seems to be the most popular opinion posted, but it also seems to "brap" as well. I've read a couple of strongly worded opinions on the "brap" sound, that also state that the user/owner was not happy overall with the sound levels. 10 years ago I had a bike with a Remus on it, and I would agree with the "brap" and "overall sound level" statements. That Remus, and the current ones I've heard, both just barely sound acceptable to me - and I'd like to find something quieter if possible.

That leads me to a 2-into-1 system using a Wings can. I do not doubt at all the quality of the Wings gear, and by coincidence I'm only a couple hours away from the Canadian distributor in Kamloops, BC, so getting a Wings setup should be an easy process. Unfortunately there is less information (YouTube, sound clips, and anecdotal) on Wings sound overall, both 2-into-1 and 2-into-2. The anecdotal information I HAVE found suggests that they are possibly the quietest of the aftermarket systems available.

What I'm hoping to get is some honest information from those that can compare Remus Roxx to Wings to Stock, in both 2-into-1 and 2-into-2 setups.

Just to be clear, I am also strongly considering using a 2-into-2 system using Wings exhaust as well, and going with the Rade Garage underseat tank instead of the side tank. The Akrapovic system is also in the mix in theory, but is almost entirely ruled out based on price alone.

As far as price goes, a 2-into-2 system with underseat fuel tank works out to be very close in price to the 2-into-1 system with the external tank. I know the FMF Q4 system is available and is cheaper, but I wasn't overly thrilled with what I've heard through YouTube and sound clips - but comparisons to the Q4 are welcome as well.

So...any solid COMPARISONS between the Remus, Wings, and Stock (and possibly FMF)?
Old 06-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
henryroten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
I too love the sound of the stock exhaust, but the heat and the definite need for longer fuel range drove me to an auxillary side tank and the Remus Roxx 2/1. Much lighter, seems to pull harder, but LOUDER. Prior to this I tried the FMF Hard Parts 2/2 silencers and they were too loud as well. I now have the full Rottweiler intake system and the Rottweiler silencer, and the bike goes like crazy, significantly faster and stronger at all levels, but not as quiet as the stock system, and I don't think that anything aftermarket will be. However, I have grown to live with the added noise level BUT if you want the stock sound, stay stock, IMO. Good luck.
henryroten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
henryroten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
I might add that the Rottweiler silencer does have the ability to quiet it down with 3 different 'stuffers' and by adding additional packing material (called scrubble which is similar to metal filings opposed to fiberglass packing). I am currently running the medium stuffer with the standard amount of scrubble in the silencer. So lots of room to quiet it down and NOT lose performance. Different exhaust design allows to quiet without losing noticeable power. At least that is what I am told. Quality product.
henryroten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:56 AM   #4
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,681
I am slightly off topic here, but if I would like a cheap and quiet 2-1 system without sacrificing performance, I would look into using a 1st gen aprilia tuono muffler (either stock or aftermarket with a db killer) with a properly made 2-1 midpipe.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:01 AM   #5
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 511
Went from 2-2 Akrapovic to 2-1 Wings w/ external tank.

The Wings is much quieter, especially with inserts (there's 2), though probably louder than stock (as any after-market would be). IMHO under normal riding the Wings with smallest insert is very quiet with only a bit of rumble on decel. Without inserts and riding like a hooligan it will probably be about as loud as the rest.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:27 AM   #6
agent86pc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Remus roxx literally !!

I went from the standard duel cans to a Remus Roxx single / 2 into 1 system for all the reasons already mentioned. So far very happy with it, yes it is louder but it's so much lighter, pull considerably harder off the bottom & mid range with no noticeable top end sacrifice. The nuclear reactor heat of the stockers was also a big influence on my decision.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #7
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryroten View Post
(called scrubble which is similar to metal filings opposed to fiberglass packing).
I call it RoboBush.

It's on the far left.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #8
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
On my 530EXC I have had the stock muffler, then removed the restrictor, then the FMF KTM from the Ready-To-Race kit with each of the inserts(closed course very open and spark arrestor), and then a Wings muffler.

The FMF was louder than stock but sounded better. The closed course insert was pretty loud but worked dang good, I rode it on the street some. Back to smaller one with spark arrestor for off road.

The Wings is lighter and looks better and with the standard insert it is quieter than the FMF and maybe the same as the stock. Mine came with a smaller insert to quiet things down even more. I have been running this for 2 years now and it looks like new and has been great. I was riding trails in Idaho with a group of guys and the dude following me said it was really quiet. He also said he has a friend with the same bike as mine with the FMF and it was loude. I think the Wings is a winner and cannot imagine that the V-twin would have any different results.
Bungholio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #9
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,128
I have a Remus Revolution 2-into-1, and the only thing I don't like about it is the noise: it's noticeably louuder than stock, and I believe motorcycles should be seen & not heard, especially in the back country.

Don't know how relevant this is given it's a Revolution & not a Roxx. FWiW, I guess.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:21 PM   #10
SuperBonBon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I would assume that the Revolution would be quite close to the Roxx.

I believe it was the Revolution I had on my R1150GS - which was borderline acceptable (at best) in terms of loudness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
I have a Remus Revolution 2-into-1, and the only thing I don't like about it is the noise: it's noticeably louuder than stock, and I believe motorcycles should be seen & not heard, especially in the back country.

Don't know how relevant this is given it's a Revolution & not a Roxx. FWiW, I guess.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #11
SuperBonBon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That's some very useful information - I'll search more and see if I can find a comparison of the Akrapovic system to stock, which hopefully shouldn't be too hard based on the popularity and availability of the Akrapovic.

I've heard a few clips on the Akra's already, and they seemed to be pretty close to what the Remus was for me. If the Wings are "much quieter", then that may be all the information I need to proceed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin 3rd View Post
Went from 2-2 Akrapovic to 2-1 Wings w/ external tank.

The Wings is much quieter, especially with inserts (there's 2), though probably louder than stock (as any after-market would be). IMHO under normal riding the Wings with smallest insert is very quiet with only a bit of rumble on decel. Without inserts and riding like a hooligan it will probably be about as loud as the rest.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #12
Tiggleswerth
Jansport

Oddometer: 234
Does anyone have experience with both the Remus Roxx 2 into 1 and a Remus Revolution 2 into 1? I am wondering about the noise level of each and it the Roxx is built as well as the Revolution. The Revolution has been around for some time and has proven itself. I have only read one bad thing about the Roxx, and that was by Pyndon. He said it blew apart fairly quickly...

Slow down for the pavement, speed up for the dirt...
Tiggleswerth is offline   Reply With Quote