ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #16
ShawnS OP
KTM nOOb

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
I just picked up my "man edition orange with link lettering" on Saturday - bought from mission cycle. I've had many KTMs before but this one is quite different...anyhow, I often ride with two friends, both with grey 1190s so you should join in sometime. I'd love to have a look at the seat sometime if you don't mind. Where are you located? I'm at Bathurst and Eglinton area.
That sounds great. We're actually not far from each other. I'm by bloor west village. I'm on vaca with the family this week - but will be around in the coming weeks. I'll shoot you a PM when I'm back and we can meet up so you can try the seat and wings seat cooler on mine.
ShawnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #17
ShawnS OP
KTM nOOb

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomuppet View Post
G'day fellas, the pop and click under braking is most likely the steering head bearings. There is a nut under the top triple clamp (undo the top two fork retaining bolts on each fork leg, then remove the nut on top of the triple clamp....remove the top triple clamp and you will see it...it has holes in the sides for a crescent wrench, like you would use to adjust preload on a shock...the one in the tool kit does not fit!?!). Mine has loosened up 5 times in the last 8,000km. First 3 times I took it to the dealer to get them to sort it...next time I did it myself without removing the top triple clamp...just loosened everything up and tightened it down. Last time I removed everything and put some loctite on the retaining nut....hopefully that has fixed it!

There have been some bad front discs around as well. Some with too much fore and aft movement in the floating pins, which could cause the popping feeling, and mine warped after a couple of track days which created a front end shimmy under braking (replaced under warranty). The discs issue seems fairly isolated, but the loosening headstock nut is very common it seems, and ultimately a very simple fix...astounding KTM have not caught on yet!
Thank you for the helpful detailed description.
ShawnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:23 AM   #18
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,982
Be careful "tightening that thing down". This is your bearing pre-load we're playing with and should be set very carefully. If you're unfamiliar with this, perhaps you should let your dealer take care of it.

Improper adjustment can lead to notched bearing races and a very bad handling motorcycle.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #19
rickescazu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnS View Post
Hello Inmates.
Hoping to start a new central thread for posting service bulletins / recalls.

I live in Canada - and KTM seems to be a very small operation here versus Europe with no customer service and limited resources - so there seems to be very little awareness of any issues with the 1190 at dealers here. No one has ever even heard of the air box issue as an example, or the starting issue, or the tank venting issue etc.

Hoping this thread can help those of us in markets where KTM doesn't have much support - so we can leverage the service bulletins / recalls that are happening in other markets. If you have had something recalled or have any documentation on issues KTM is aware of in your country and can post it here it may be helpful to other riders in other places... And give our dealers a place to start.

Thanks in advance for the time to post. :)
I was about to post this same thread when i saw yours, but not one is doing what you ask?? I have a 2013 1190 ADV and mine was never entered into KTM's system when the dealer delivered it to me. they finally did that yesterday and when i enter KTM site with my VIN and Delivery ID it says no service done to date and pending TSB and recall. it does not give any info as to what they are only says to contact the dealer. if anyone has any real knowledge or copies of those TSB's and can post them or explain in detail with the TSB number that would be great. i have heard of these but no confirmed>

1. under seat kit for heat reduction on my burt legs
2. side stand spring and bolts replacement
3. ECU reflash
4. issues with steering head bearings
5. air box issues (i upgraded to the UNI filter from Australia on my nickel)
6. chain guide excessive wear.

Update
7. fuel vent issues at gas cap.

thanks all in advance...

Rick

rickescazu screwed with this post 07-08-2014 at 05:39 PM
rickescazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #20
dastick
dastick

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Update - I got a call from KTM Canada today after leaving multiple messages over the last 3 months. Apparently they had a massive system issue and have over 500 calls to return. Good news is that KTM is aware of the air box issue and said they have issued a service bulletin to dealers (although I asked at a dealer on Saturday and they didn't know about it) I've got a uni on order - so will bring it in to service as soon as I get the filter and can get an appointment at GP Bikes. I feel better now that I got a call.
That's great, I too got a call from them this morning, unfortunately I was not there to take the call, so I called them back and had to leave another message.

.."It's steeper then it looks" Every one who posted a pic with a hill.
dastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:42 AM   #21
OSUgasman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Any updates here, guys? Can someone with access list out the TSBs? I pick mine up tomorrow and have requested them earlier to contact KTM to have all issues resolved before delivery as well as an update on the airbox issue.

Brian
OSUgasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #22
CaliBerger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUgasman View Post
Any updates here, guys? Can someone with access list out the TSBs? I pick mine up tomorrow and have requested them earlier to contact KTM to have all issues resolved before delivery as well as an update on the airbox issue.

Brian
14 or 15?
CaliBerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #23
OSUgasman
Adventurer

Hi. It's a new 2014 at a great discount. VIN is VBKV19408EM905134. Can't check anything yet because I don't have a delivery certificate yet...

Thanks, Brian
Old 12-11-2014, 06:31 AM   #24
john san
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUgasman View Post
Hi. It's a new 2014 at a great discount. VIN is VBKV19408EM905134. Can't check anything yet because I don't have a delivery certificate yet...

Thanks, Brian
I just got mine at a great discount a month ago and the VIN is the same as yours but ends in 098. Had it in for the first service and besides needing the steering head bearing tightened up it needed nothing out of the ordinary and no recall work. So yours is probably the same as far as recalls go since it appears that it was built right after mine. I don't have the delivery certificate either, so I can't check for myself. I didn't know about needing that, so I'll have to ask the dealer next time I stop in.

- sent from my Moto X Android device.
john san is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:03 AM   #25
OSUgasman
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by john san View Post
I just got mine at a great discount a month ago and the VIN is the same as yours but ends in 098. Had it in for the first service and besides needing the steering head bearing tightened up it needed nothing out of the ordinary and no recall work. So yours is probably the same as far as recalls go since it appears that it was built right after mine. I don't have the delivery certificate either, so I can't check for myself. I didn't know about needing that, so I'll have to ask the dealer next time I stop in.

- sent from my Moto X Android device.
John,

Thanks for the info. enjoy. Brian
Old 12-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #26
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Except it doesn't seem to work for bikes delivered by KTM USA. My dealer is unable to supply the required delivery number. Anyone in the USA have this access?
My dealer was never able to provide a number which would allow me to access the service record of my bike. I'm still trying to get it to work.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:11 AM   #27
geez996
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Hello Inmates.
Hoping to start a new central thread for posting service bulletins / recalls.

I live in Canada - and KTM seems to be a very small operation here versus Europe with no customer service and limited resources - so there seems to be very little awareness of any issues with the 1190 at dealers here. No one has ever even heard of the air box issue as an example, or the starting issue, or the tank venting issue etc.

Hoping this thread can help those of us in markets where KTM doesn't have much support - so we can leverage the service bulletins / recalls that are happening in other markets. If you have had something recalled or have any documentation on issues KTM is aware of in your country and can post it here it may be helpful to other riders in other places... And give our dealers a place to start.

Thanks in advance for the time to post. :)
Great Idea...

It would be fantastic to gather everything here.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:23 AM   #28
rsser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
It seems there's been at least one ECU reflash since the factory's on the '14 model. My dealer got it in the last few days.

This dealer is the biggest seller of Adventures in Australia and says that the airbox dust issue is at a minimum a consequence of the factory filter being too coarse. They've told KTM a number of times that the dust down under is fine enough to pass through, with no result. I understand that folks here have found fault as well/instead (?) with the element seal.

Riding a chookchaser with a slipper clutch
rsser is offline   Reply With Quote