ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
SteelJM1 OP
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,639
Hey Flag people... some Tucsonans want to cool off!

Hey Guys, Me and one or two of my buddies want to come up to Flagstaff on the evening of the 15th and ride all saturday and part of sunday to get out of this heat and see some different terrain. I was hoping some of you could point us to some good trail systems, or heck even come riding with us if ya want. We're looking at enduro singletrack type stuff, with the weapons of choice being a WR450, a CRF450X, and a TE300. One buddy mentioned 'the cinders' but I'm not familiar with them. I personally would like to attack some woods if there is any woods riding available. Harken back to my younger days riding in the woods of the northeast.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #2
kbblue
mmmm... dirt...

Oddometer: 297
I haven't explored the Cinders area much so can't say, but the little bit I have is mostly for quads and other 4 wheel stuff. Perfect for them and it keeps them off the other areas. I've heard there's some good stuff further back in, but don't know.

Fort Valley area has 26 mi of some really nice legal motorized single track through the trees and sits at about 7000 feet on the south side of the mountain. Go out 180 NW from Flag and look for FR 164B. Trail head about 1/4 mi in on the right.Secret trail is my favorite. Upper Moto is the most difficult. Rocky Moto is fun. Just STAY OFF THE ARIZONA TRAIL which cuts right through the area and is NOT legal for motorized. This keeps us out of trouble with the non-motorized faction. Also stay west of Schultz Pass road as the east side is not legal motorized. The area is pretty well marked. You can go to Absolute Bikes on route 66 and get a Flagstaff area trails map that is pretty good.

South of the Airport is the other area with legal motorized single track. This is under development by Coconino Trail Riders and the NFS. We're building trails out there every month and have about 20 some miles of single track done and signed with about 30+ more coming. There's no trail heads yet, but a couple are planned. Go south out of town on Lake Mary Road, turn west onto Frontier Rd about 4 or 5 miles out, at the end (1/4 mi) it turns to dirt and heads south, which is FR 3E. Follow that south and in about a half mile you'll see a single track cross the road. Find an established place to park and explore starting from there. There are no maps of these trails yet, but they wander all over.

Enjoy!

kbblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
AZ Desert Dog
AZ Desert Dog

Oddometer: 94
Here is a little video of the Cinder Hills ORV and Fort Valley trail system I did a couple of weeks back for my Youtube channel. I think the Conders would be good if you had paddles but it is a lot of the same thing.
Fort Valley was nicely laid out but limited. I don't know much about the airport location.

If you go on the Coconino NF site and look up OHV Riding onthe side tab. They have some Adventure /Dual sport trail they set up. Not all single track.
One looks interesting the Baja 100.
Might be a hot ride in some places tho.

Cinder Hills
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT4C9K8gkCo

Fort Valley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmSiN-_QuLs

Hope this helps.
AZ Desert Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 3,044
dog why didnt you ride in the donut? you even said "now that would be fun" those moon craters are so much fun,,,

i love the airport side cause its loamy and flowing with deep ruts and berms in the turns,,, lots of fun.

the coconino motor vehicle use maps shows plenty of singletrack, get yourself a copy not only so you know about the singletrack, but so you know where to ride legally.

2 SPOT screwed with this post 08-08-2014 at 03:42 PM
2 SPOT is online now   Reply With Quote